This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZZ801832

AVC C/O 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread so figured I'd start it!

Second round applying here, I feel like my application is much stronger this year but I'm still lacking vet experience hours. We'll see how it goes I guess!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! I was following the class of 2022 thread to get the feel for how the application process went and just sent in my application a few weeks ago (I'm a Canadian applicant). Good luck to everyone!

Hey! I was following the class of 2022 thread to get the feel for how the application process went and just sent in my application a few weeks ago (I'm a Canadian applicant). Good luck to everyone!

Yay, nice to know I'm not the only one that applied to AVC this year! Haha. Is this your first application cycle? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also applying to AVC! :D This is my second application cycle, first time applying to AVC.

It's my first time applying as well. I heard international applicants already know if they have an interview or not, is this true?

Canadian applicant here as well, so not sure how it works for international applicants but what I do know is that they usually find out if they've been accepted before we even get interview invites!

I heard international applicants already know if they have an interview or not, is this true?
Yes, they should know by now- their interviews are coming up in mid November! And acceptances are usually around April for them.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, they should know by now- their interviews are coming up in mid November! And acceptances are usually around April for them.

Yes! I'm an international applicant and have heard back for an interview coming up in November.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you! :D When does everyone else hear by?

I believe Canadians hear about interview invites towards the end of March (someone can correct me if I'm wrong)? By that point, international applicants will have long heard if they had been accepted, denied, or wait-listed. I think we heard back early/mid January last year about that. **I accidently said they'd know by April in one of my previous posts I believe- I forgot how early they let people know**

I also applied to AVC! Second time applying, first time applying to AVC. I am an international applicant and have an interview Nov 17!

I believe Canadians hear about interview invites towards the end of March (someone can correct me if I'm wrong)? By that point, international applicants will have long heard if they had been accepted, denied, or wait-listed. I think we heard back early/mid January last year about that. **I accidently said they'd know by April in one of my previous posts I believe- I forgot how early they let people know**

Last year we found out around mid march!

Members don't see this ad :)
First time international applicant, I can't believe Interview Day is only a couple of weeks away!!

For anyone interviewing this month (good luck!) make sure to bring a rain coat or umbrella! It's been rainy the past 2 years on/around interview day, and the forecast is showing rain again for this year :(.

Are all the interviews on the same day (for Canadian applicants, at least)? Or is it usually spread out over a couple days?

How long does it take for your GRE results to be received by AVC once sent out by ETS? I’m assuming they are being sent out from the US, but it shouldn’t take too long to get to PEI, right?

Are all the interviews on the same day (for Canadian applicants, at least)? Or is it usually spread out over a couple days?

They've changed it in the last two-three years or so. Both international and Canadian applicants are invited to interview on a single day, respectively. The reason for this change was mostly due to the some of the really bad weather students faced coming to the island (delayed flights, the school would close and they couldn't interview, it's just easier, etc.)

How long does it take for your GRE results to be received by AVC once sent out by ETS? I’m assuming they are being sent out from the US, but it shouldn’t take too long to get to PEI, right?

Unfortunately that was a while ago for me and I don't remember, sorry! You can always contact the school (is Sharon still your contact??) and ask them directly.

They've changed it in the last two-three years or so. Both international and Canadian applicants are invited to interview on a single day, respectively. The reason for this change was mostly due to the some of the really bad weather students faced coming to the island (delayed flights, the school would close and they couldn't interview, it's just easier, etc.)

Unfortunately that was a while ago for me and I don't remember, sorry! You can always contact the school (is Sharon still your contact??) and ask them directly.

I'm Canadian, so I think I have to contact Jack! It feels like it's taking very long, but I may be overreacting lol

I'm Canadian, so I think I have to contact Jack! It feels like it's taking very long, but I may be overreacting lol

Shows what I know- sorry I didn't realize you had a different contact. I probably wouldn't stress over it too much (harder said than done), but it'll get here

Did you send your GRE score directly from the test centre? If you go to the ETS website and click View Scores and Score Recipients under your account you can see the date your score was reported to the university you sent them to on test date. For me, it took about 11 days after I took my test for my score to be "reported" to UPEI, and a few days later it showed that the score was received on my UPEI application.

Did you send your GRE score directly from the test centre? If you go to the ETS website and click View Scores and Score Recipients under your account you can see the date your score was reported to the university you sent them to on test date. For me, it took about 11 days after I took my test for my score to be "reported" to UPEI, and a few days later it showed that the score was received on my UPEI application.

I did send it directly from the test center, and it shows as reported to UPEI :/ ETS told me to give it more time, so I'll start worrying again in a week! lol

My interview is next weekend, anyone who has interviewed at AVC before have any advice? What was the interview like? Any questions that were particularly difficult?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

My interview is next weekend, anyone who has interviewed at AVC before have any advice? What was the interview like? Any questions that were particularly difficult?

It's been a few years since I interviewed, and I don't remember much about what they asked me; however, I do remember that some of the questions they asked me were very similar to the ones found here: University of Prince Edward Island Atlantic Veterinary College Interview Feedback

They did have my file and knew what I had been involved in/what my interests were (I do not know if this has since changed or not?), but I do know I was asked different questions than my roommate, who got a lot of questions about cows and chickens since she had experience in that area... and the professor interviewing her was also our animal productions professor, so they really got into it. I on the other hand, had no questions about my experiences (I did fit one into my very last answer), and more along the lines of how to deal with stress, the roles veterinarians play, etc., instead.

Again, unless they've changed things, when your interview time slot comes up you'll be brought into an office where there will be 2 faculty members waiting to interview you. I had 20 or so minutes for my interview and it was very back and forth, as well as relaxed. At one point I remember telling them I didn't know the answer to their question and they told me I had already partially answered it before, and one helped me along into forming an answer for them.

Just be yourself and be confident in your answers. Dress appropriately, please. I have seen so many applicants in attire not fit for this type of occasion- both when I was interviewing and when I attended as a student ambassador.

You can also ask the student ambassador of your tour group about their interview experiences as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I interviewed as a member of class of 2015 so I don't know that my experience will be helpful. I used the link that DaDappette provided to prep for the behavior-style questions ("tell me about a time when...")

It's definitely a relaxed feeling, but I agree: please dress appropriately. When I interviewed they still were just doing 3 people per day, but I remember a fellow candidate wearing a casual dress and sparkly beret thing that was very not appropriate for the occasion. I wore a navy pants suit.

Just be yourself and be confident in your answers. Dress appropriately, please. I have seen so many applicants in attire not fit for this type of occasion- both when I was interviewing and when I attended as a student ambassador.

I'm interviewing this weekend also and I'm stressed about what to wear! I was planning on business casual, dress pants and blouse with blazer (I have a couple of small tattoos on my forearms that I want to make sure to cover just in case anyone has a problem), does that sound okay? I don't want to overdo it but I also want to make sure they know I'm taking it seriously...

I'm worrying about the questions they'll ask me also, I feel like my application alone doesn't really stand out so I need to make a good impression in the interview. The only thing I can think of about my experience that might be different from other people's is that it's all in shelter medicine (which I LOVE), but I'm not sure if there will be a way for me to work that into the interview without it seeming totally random...

Thanks for the advice!
@Bkr0202 I'm in the same boat. I have dress pants, nice shirt and blazer, but I'm worried about it being the right level of 'dressed up'/'professional'. At this point I don't have time to buy anything else so I guess that's what I'm wearing lol.

Those of you who went to school there, any 'must-see' things while I'm there? I'm staying an extra day after the interview to have a day to just explore the city/area and am open to suggestions of places to go!

I'll be interviewing on the 17th as well! Super nervous and excited at the same time, it's my first interview. I'm also going to be wearing dress pants with a blouse and a blazer, I think that is completely appropriate for the situation!

I have a quick question about transportation up there. I'm arriving the night before, and I don't think there's a shuttle running people from hotels to the college in the morning. I've heard that uber/lyft/etc isn't really a thing up there either, in the email it only mentions taxi. So I assume the only way to get to the school is by calling a local cab?

Dress pants (or skirt), a nice blouse and a matching jacket are fine. Keep any jewelry simple and if you bring a bag, it should be a reasonable handbag size, not one of those giant tote bags. I have just seen too many ladies show up in cocktail-like dresses or on the other side of the spectrum, too casual in jeans.

I think there's an interview attire thread around here somewhere as well that I remember having some good advice.

Those of you who went to school there, any 'must-see' things while I'm there? I'm staying an extra day after the interview to have a day to just explore the city/area and am open to suggestions of places to go!

I can't say I am the best person to answer this, mainly because even I am still learning what is around, and it's not really the best time of the year to see a lot or do outside. Kind of cold, dreary, and a lack of color; however, I would recommend going downtown to eat (and visit Cow's creamery if you are an ice cream fan). If you have a rental car, I would go for one of the scenic drives that skirt the water for a little bit. If any of my classmates have any suggestions, I'll pass them along.

I have a quick question about transportation up there. I'm arriving the night before, and I don't think there's a shuttle running people from hotels to the college in the morning. I've heard that uber/lyft/etc isn't really a thing up there either, in the email it only mentions taxi. So I assume the only way to get to the school is by calling a local cab?

There is no shuttle that I am aware of. You do need to arrange your own transportation to and from the school via taxi, but I don't know how much they cost. You could always possibly split cab fare with another interviewee from wherever your staying if it is an option.[/user]

Does anyone know if they have ever rescheduled interview day due to the weather?

Does anyone know if they have ever rescheduled interview day due to the weather?

No, not since changing over to a single interview day for everyone about 3 years ago.

From my understanding interviews used to be spread out over the winter months and they used to have to reschedule due to bad weather (mainly snow) on more than one occasion. I was told that was one of the main reasons for having the interviews before December and letting everyone interview at once.

I'm not sure about ever but I know they won't this year, I asked a couple of weeks ago just to make sure I wasn't going to drive 10 hours there just to find out it's cancelled and they said the show would go on no matter what

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

I'm not sure about ever but I know they won't this year, I asked a couple of weeks ago just to make sure I wasn't going to drive 10 hours there just to find out it's cancelled and they said the show would go on no matter what

That was my concern too! I'm also driving a little more than 12 hours to get there...yikes! Anyone have any advice about the interview process?

I'm super nervous about the weather! I am flying in and it is snowing both there and where I'm from on Friday (along with Thursday night here). I'm seriously praying for no delays or cancellations!

When I interviewed it was in early March and there was a ton of snow on the ground. My fourth year there was the most ridiculous amount of snow while my first year wasn’t bad at all. For those driving a long way, give yourself plenty of time to get there as the island roads from the bridge to the school aren’t major highways - many are basically back roads.

Like dadappette said, not much to see/do around this time of year (Charlottetown is definitely a town and not a city) but if the weather is OK I’d recommend heading up to Brackley Beach and driving along the coast line there. Some great walking trails if the recent weather permits- bald eagles and other great bird watching :)

Is anyone else driving to the interview and worried about snow? I am really trying to go but there is 8 inches of snow expected in some areas and it’s a ten hour drive for me. Any others in this situation??

Is anyone else driving to the interview and worried about snow? I am really trying to go but there is 8 inches of snow expected in some areas and it’s a ten hour drive for me. Any others in this situation??
I had the exact same issue, ended up leaving today instead of tomorrow like planned and just got into town...11 hour drive was a lot easier without the snow! Good luck, the roads we took were well travelled and they're used to snow so the conditions hopefully won't be too bad!

Sadly I can’t leave tonight bc I’m going with my friend who has work this evening so I am really hoping roads will be ok tomorrow!!

Good luck to all those interviewing tomorrow! Hope the weather on the island is in your favour! It’s the home stretch

Sadly I can’t leave tonight bc I’m going with my friend who has work this evening so I am really hoping roads will be ok tomorrow!!

We are supposed to get up to 6 inches of snow in some areas, but there's supposed to be wind gusts up to 50mph that can affect visibility. I would just double check on the confederation bridge status sometime before you get to it (maybe if you stop for gas?) just to make sure it is open... you never know what weather conditions will cause a delay in opening. Good luck, and be careful!

I had the exact same issue, ended up leaving today instead of tomorrow like planned and just got into town...11 hour drive was a lot easier without the snow! Good luck, the roads we took were well travelled and they're used to snow so the conditions hopefully won't be too bad!

Not a bad idea, and you get some extra time to look around!

I’m at the airport right now and my flight got delayed so I can’t make my connector... they say there’s only one flight a day going to Toronto and looks like I’m kinda out of luck at this point :(

I’m at the airport right now and my flight got delayed so I can’t make my connector... they say there’s only one flight a day going to Toronto and looks like I’m kinda out of luck at this point :(

Same thing just happened to me :( Does anyone know if they will still consider applicants for admission who can’t make the interview due to weather related issues?

@ragingchickens email Sharon asap. She just responded to me acknowledging I can’t make it and will contact me next week with how they will proceed with my application.
I met another girl at the airport in the same situation. She was actually able to talk to Sharon on the phone, who said that many people were in the same situation. I’m sure they will provide an alternate for all of us :)

@ragingchickens email Sharon asap. She just responded to me acknowledging I can’t make it and will contact me next week with how they will proceed with my application.
I met another girl at the airport in the same situation. She was actually able to talk to Sharon on the phone, who said that many people were in the same situation. I’m sure they will provide an alternate for all of us :)

100% Contact Sharon. Also, I do not know if it's feasible, but this happened to me the year I interviewed. Air Canada got me onto a flight to Moncton where I rented a car and drove 3ish hours to Charlottetown and returned the car at the airport here.

Awesome! That’s a relief. Thank you! :)

For anyone who might not be able to make it. I talked with the associate dean and she said to email Sharon. Sharon will be checking and responding to e-mails about travel issues. Associate dean said if you can’t make it, they’ll be in touch about rescheduling, or even if you make it to the island say midday tomorrow they’ll still accommodate you.

100% Contact Sharon. Also, I do not know if it's feasible, but this happened to me the year I interviewed. Air Canada got me onto a flight to Moncton where I rented a car and drove 3ish hours to Charlottetown and returned the car at the airport here.
Just tried to do this but the cheapest tickets they have for are like 2000 dollars :( luckily it sounds like quite a few of us are in the same boat. I was so looking forward to interviewing too! I’m incredibly disheartened.

Just tried to do this but the cheapest tickets they have for are like 2000 dollars :( luckily it sounds like quite a few of us are in the same boat. I was so looking forward to interviewing too! I’m incredibly disheartened.

I traveled with my mom... she talked with the company for a while and also complained (wasn’t her fault we missed flight, etc) and they put us on the flight for free. Might be able to ask?

I traveled with my mom... she talked with the company for a while and also complained (wasn’t her fault we missed flight, etc) and they put us on the flight for free. Might be able to ask?
Sadly, the flight was at a totally different airport with a totally different company. So it really wasn't too feasible, they said the earliest flight they could have me on was on Monday (lol) so I just decided to take the L and reschedule haha.