This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
JUST GOT MY INTERVIEW INVITE!!! :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Got my interview invite too!! Sooooo happy :clap:

GOT AN INTERVIEW TOO!! Congrats guys, we’re getting there!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
So exciting! Have either of you ever interviewed there? I'm so stressed but also so very excited. Can't believe we're one step closer!

Congrats to all the Canadian applicants on receiving interviews!!

I was planning for end of July, but I'm making a trip out there to get things set up (bank, phone, etc) in June!

I know some phone plans let you use your phone in Canada. I don't know anyone in my class who had to change phones or plans if they came from the US. I personally have not had a problem with either Verizon or At&T, and I was able to keep my unlimited data with both companies. My roommate sometimes has a problem with her carrier, but I don't remember what she has. If anyone has a TD bank in the US you can set on up in Canada (student account) and link your US and Canadian bank which will let you transfer money if needed with no hassle.

Also, for anyone looking into housing, most places rent our their houses/apartments/condos, etc. to vacationers during the summer if they don't do yearly leases. I didn't have my housing finalized until the second week of August, but landlords usually start advertising July/August for September move in (keep in mind school starts in August) but it is not impossible to discuss a sooner move-in date. Pet friendly can be tricky to find, especially if you want someplace furnished.

So exciting! Have either of you ever interviewed there? I'm so stressed but also so very excited. Can't believe we're one step closer!

Nope this is my first time applying, still freaking out lol.

Reactions: 1 user
@HalifaxR , @erinmituch , did you guys get a reply after you accepted your interview spot? Scared they didn't get my email somehow and I'll lose my spot.

@HalifaxR , @erinmituch , did you guys get a reply after you accepted your interview spot? Scared they didn't get my email somehow and I'll lose my spot.

I haven't replied yet, because I want to get a confirmation from my guests first! I wouldn't worry too much though, Jack is really good with replying, and whatnot. When I do confirm, I'll keep you posted

NS applicant here, just got an interview!! I just wrote to Jack to confirm my spot but haven't received a reply yet, hoping I get one because I'm also paranoid they didn't get it & I'll lose my spot :nailbiting:

Reactions: 1 users
I accepted my interview spot a few hours ago, and didn't get a reply either! I think we're okay, the odds of missing 3 emails is unlikely lol

Echoing others here. Confirmed my spot and didn't get a reply, but I assume we're all good :)

I ended up receiving a reply from Jack a few days ago! All good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well cue me freaking out now because I didn't get a reply o_O
I confirmed my spot right when I got the email, so maybe wait a few days before freaking out? They may also be going by province or something (I'm a NB appplicant)!

awesome! I am wondering what others have for veterinary experience going into the interview

Not much. :( I have a handful of hours shadowing a large animal vet, and several hundred hours of animal experience (horses, cows, small animals).

awesome! I am wondering what others have for veterinary experience going into the interview
A lot of small animal vet experience, around 20 or so hours of LA vet experience and a lot of animal experience with various species ... I'm mostly worried that it won't be enough!

Not much. :( I have a handful of hours shadowing a large animal vet, and several hundred hours of animal experience (horses, cows, small animals).

One of my roommates/classmates in first year told me they had almost no veterinary experience beyond 10-20 hours or so of shadowing at a clinic. Just because your might think your hours might be on the lower side, it’s not impossible. Besides, if you got an interview invite, they’re probably not that worried!

Reactions: 2 users
Mostly small animal experience here as well!

P.s. I received an email confirmation from Jack

One of my roommates/classmates in first year told me they had almost no veterinary experience beyond 10-20 hours or so of shadowing at a clinic. Just because your might think your hours might be on the lower side, it’s not impossible. Besides, if you got an interview invite, they’re probably not that worried!

I'm hoping this is the case! A friend of mine got in with barely any vet experience, and said many people in her class had low hours as well, so that's a bit encouraging. But then again I know a lot of the other NB applicants have crazy vet experiences (thousands of hours, small animals, large animals, wildlife, etc.) which doesn't help my confidence level heading into the interview haha

@nrb1942 was planning on wearing business casual clothes. Navy slacks and a blouse or something like that.

Hi all,

I'm really excited to go to Interview day at AVC this year.
It'll be my first time interviewing for veterinary school, so was wondering if I could get some tips and guidance from people about the interview procedure?

All of the veterinarians and people I'd gotten into contact with regarding the interview processes for past years are not familiar with the change in interview styles from 2016 - onwards.

If anyone could give me any pointers, or any tips, that would be very much appreciated!

Thanks so much!

@snowbetty Congrats on your interview invite, first of all! One step closer! :soexcited:

I'm a current first year student, so I interviewed last year. I'm happy to answer any questions! It was very conversational. They aren't looking to trip anybody up with crazy questions. I was asked how I would calculate the square footage of the room I was in (not a square shaped room either...there were curves) at another vet school interview :eek:

They do ask some specific questions but most of it came back to my experience. They just want to know how your experiences have changed you and lessons you learned from them that will make you a good vet! Go in with an open mind about what you want to do in the field too!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know how many applicants they interview per province?

Anyone know how many applicants they interview per province?

Don't quote me on this, but I remember someone had mentioned 2 interviewees per spot on a previous years thread. I can't find the post anymore, but they didn't have a source for their stat anyway... so it could've been wrong. Sorry I can't be more help!

I'm in a similar position as snowbetty (first-time applicant). I did a mock interview at my school which really helped my nerves, but I then I read on the AVC site that a failing interview score disqualifies you from further consideration in the application process ... they aren't very clear on what could make you fail the interview, so I was wondering if anyone has an idea on how to avoid this? I'm guessing big red flags that are signs that you should not be a vet would fail you, but stress has got me thinking "oh no what if I fail"?

Also any interview tips would be great ... most vets I've worked with graduated a while ago so they aren't as familiar with the new format!

Thanks guys o_O

then I read on the AVC site that a failing interview score disqualifies you from further consideration in the application process ... they aren't very clear on what could make you fail the interview, so I was wondering if anyone has an idea on how to avoid this? I'm guessing big red flags that are signs that you should not be a vet would fail you, but stress has got me thinking "oh no what if I fail"?

Just as a disclaimer, I don't have first hand knowledge of criteria that would cause one to fail, but I would speculate anything really off the wall: using a lot of profanity in the interview, being extremely late or not showing up without a verifiable excuse, lying on your application, not being able to answer the questions asked of you coherently (or being obviously intoxicated/high), being super rude to interviewers or staff, etc.

There may be things that make your interview not go as well as you'd like, but an actual failing would have to be something pretty dire I'd imagine. I wouldn't worry too much :)

Just as a disclaimer, I don't have first hand knowledge of criteria that would cause one to fail, but I would speculate anything really off the wall: using a lot of profanity in the interview, being extremely late or not showing up without a verifiable excuse, lying on your application, not being able to answer the questions asked of you coherently (or being obviously intoxicated/high), being super rude to interviewers or staff, etc.

There may be things that make your interview not go as well as you'd like, but an actual failing would have to be something pretty dire I'd imagine. I wouldn't worry too much :)

Thanks :nod: that's kind of what I figured, that it'd have to be something really awful! I think I'm just stressing too much

Out of curiosity, when are interviews for Canadian applicants?

Any advice for those who have taken the W-SAB? What type of questions do they typically ask?

Any advice for those who have taken the W-SAB? What type of questions do they typically ask?
A lot of the questions are similar just asked differently. Make sure you are consistent in your answers. The one question that I mainly remember is something along the lines of would you allow another student to cry on your shoulders. There are a lot of questions that center around working alone and with groups, etc. I would say go into it with the mentality that it is as an evaluation of your personality rather than an actual test of your abilities

For those that have interviewed before, did you feel like it went well? Did you leave feeling confident? What were you more worried for, the interview or W-SAB?

I was pulled off the international student waitlist and offered a seat today. Accepted! So so excited, can’t wait to meet some of you in fall!!

Reactions: 8 users
I was pulled off the international student waitlist and offered a seat today. Accepted! So so excited, can’t wait to meet some of you in fall!!
Congratulations! I got pulled off the waitlist yesterday and accepted today! Excited to be classmates!

Hi guys! I'm an international applicant and I just turned down my seat yesterday. Best of luck to everyone- the waitlist is moving quickly!

For those asking- the interview was literally 20 minutes with 2-3 faculty members. Very relaxed and easy environment. As for the W-sab- just answer truthfully. Most of the questions are just variations of each other so everything really mends together, so answer TRUTHFULLY!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

Congratulations! I got pulled off the waitlist yesterday and accepted today! Excited to be classmates!
Congratulations guys!!! Where are you all from? I'm getting super excited to meet everyone! It's coming up so quick!!

Congratulations guys!!! Where are you all from? I'm getting super excited to meet everyone! It's coming up so quick!!

I’m from Minnesota (which I’m guessing you are too lol?)

Congratulations!! Hey, just so you all know, the Facebook page is up. It’s called “AVC class of 2023” :)

Hey! Does anybody know if they are still pulling people off the international student waitlist?