You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
AVC ℅ 2023 hopefuls
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hope everyone who was here today had a good time and enjoyed your tour of the school, and that interviews went well. For those who could not make it, I hope no one stresses too much and are able to make it out soon 🙂
Bkr0202
Full Member
I had such a great time today! Hopefully I'll be back next year [emoji4]Hope everyone who was here today had a good time and enjoyed your tour of the school, and that interviews went well. For those who could not make it, I hope no one stresses too much and are able to make it out soon 🙂
Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cowsarecool
Full Member
I called Sharon and she said that we would be getting an email early this week to reschedule. From what I heard a grand total of 18 people were unable to make it for the interview day! I got an email early this afternoon about rescheduling for a Skype interview in a few weeks time. Also, AVC cancelled their classes last Friday and everyone seemed to be very understanding that I was just unable to get there. I tried everything and Sharon was really nice about it. It'll be okay, we'll still get to interview, we may just not be able to do it at the school. Breathe folks, you still got this!
I don't know if it's feasible, but I wonder if they could give Skype tours for everyone who missed interview day? I know I personally wouldn't mind walking around and giving the tour with an iPad or something (better than nothing, right? Hmm, maybe I'll ask about that). If there is any information that anyone wants about the school (it can literally be anything), please feel free to ask me!
So how was everyone's interviews? I'm curious about the questions they asked, how long it took, how many people interviewed you etc. Any insight would be super helpful!
My interview was very relaxed. I had two faculty members interview me. They had a copy of my application and asked me questions about my experience off of that.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Had my skype interview, and it was extremely laid back! It was only about 20 minutes but the questions were mostly just general ones you'd expect at any interview, and a little about my experience. Can't wait to hear back in january 🙂
I hope you get good news in January! In the meantime, if you have any questions (classes, hospital case load, general layout of things, etc.) please don't hesitate to ask, especially since you could not see the school in person.
I hope you get good news in January! In the meantime, if you have any questions (classes, hospital case load, general layout of things, etc.) please don't hesitate to ask, especially since you could not see the school in person.
I personally have a couple questions for sure. But I'll start with asking what the living situation is like? Is there an area of Charlottetown where students tend to live? How much is rent? What is parking like at the school?
I personally have a couple questions for sure. But I'll start with asking what the living situation is like? Is there an area of Charlottetown where students tend to live? How much is rent? What is parking like at the school?
There are a few areas where more students tend to end up (such as downtown, apartments across the street from the school, etc.). Some students opt to live a little further away outside of Charlottetown as well (15-20 minute drive) depending on where they want to be. I personally live just outside of town, but I also wanted a house with plenty of space. Housing is tricky, due to a housing crisis, but is a lot easier to find available housing from upper years who are graduating or moving to another place. It is not unusual for it to be August and still looking for housing- but no one is ever left without finding a place. If you plan on taking pets, it can be harder to find pet-friendly housing, but telling them your a vet student usually changes their mind.
The average range for rent would be about $450-650 CAD a month, sometimes more depending on the location, and definitely more if you're looking for a single bedroom apartment ($700-900 a month). Each place if different on whether or not utilities are included. I pay $500 ($1500 for our house total) and I pay my electric utility... that can be anywhere from $60-80 a month to $150+ a person in the winter because electric is expensive here. If you have to pay wifi, most student deals run around $70. Utilities included is best.
Parking isn't bad, but we share the lot right by the vet school building with the rest of the UPEI student body. Getting a close spot is easy if your early (say 8-8:15am for an 8:30am class), but if you are late or have a later in the day class, you might have to park on the other side of campus- I've only had to do that a few times. If you live with another student, I suggest carpooling. You can also buy your parking passes together (get a discount after 2+ cars) for a cheaper rate for living in the same household.
I received an email last week that said they anticipate Atlantic Canadian applicants to know by second/third week of March if they have received an interview or not. They also mentioned that my GRE score is above the average of those who were accepted last year which makes me happy!

I personally have a couple questions for sure. But I'll start with asking what the living situation is like? Is there an area of Charlottetown where students tend to live? How much is rent? What is parking like at the school?
I liked living outside of town (up by Brackley Beach) because it was a bit quieter than downtown where a lot of the undergrad population lives. Rent was a bit cheaper out there ($425/mo maybe?), even living alone. The commute was ~20mins, not bad at all. Parking is a bit tough - a lot of students living in town could walk or bike to school whereas I needed a parking pass. The lots for parking do fill up quickly but I don't think I ever had to park super far out.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bkr0202
Full Member
Sharon said first week of January, I guess they meant first FULL week of January [emoji21] held my breath all week for naught
Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile
Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile
It was a backup at first, but after seeing the school at my interview and loving it, it would probably be a contender if I did get in elsewhere...Crossing my fingers for you guys! Out of curiosity, is AVC one of your top picks or more of a backup school for you guys?
It looks like in past years stuff was sent out around the 18th - that’s the only reason I haven’t been full force panickingSharon said first week of January, I guess they meant first FULL week of January [emoji21] held my breath all week for naught
Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile
Bkr0202
Full Member
Right, I was just hoping that it would actually be when Sharon said it would be during interviews since they should have made decisions before the holidaysIt looks like in past years stuff was sent out around the 18th - that’s the only reason I haven’t been full force panicking
Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile
I know.. I still check my email every chance I get !Right, I was just hoping that it would actually be when Sharon said it would be during interviews since they should have made decisions before the holidays
Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile
Last years class found out on the 18th, and my class in the previous year heard on the 11th. So I would guess you will all hear in the next week and a half or so!
As ambassadors, we were told to tell applicants they were likely to hear about acceptances around the second full week of January.
As ambassadors, we were told to tell applicants they were likely to hear about acceptances around the second full week of January.
Bkr0202
Full Member
That's just a bummer because of what Sharon told me on interview day [emoji21] but oh well, it is what it is!Last years class found out on the 18th, and my class in the previous year heard on the 11th. So I would guess you will all hear in the next week and a half or so!
As ambassadors, we were told to tell applicants they were likely to hear about acceptances around the second full week of January.
Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile
That's just a bummer because of what Sharon told me on interview day [emoji21] but oh well, it is what it is!
Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile
It wasn’t Sharon who told me that, and it was probably just a general timeline to tell applicants- but I can’t say anything with certainty. I’m sure everyone will be hearing soon, but I also remember what it feels like waiting for the decisions! (We are expecting a storm tonight and next week where admin might not be at the school...)
I literally panicked when I saw someone had commented on here because I thought people were starting to get decisions...Does anyone know how many Atlantic Canadian applicants there are and how many get interviewed, on average?
Does anyone know how many Atlantic Canadian applicants there are and how many get interviewed, on average?
I had asked about the number of Maritime students accepted a few years ago and was referred to University of Prince Edward Island Descriptor Page
Someone broke it down as 10 for PEI, 13 for NB, 16 for NS, and 3 for NF. As for how many get interviewed, previous year threads mentioned that there are about 2-2.5 interviewed per seat (i.e. 20-25 for PEI, 6-7 for NF, etc.). I have no idea how many apply though!
FYI, this is all gathered through the AVC threads here on SDN.
I literally panicked when I saw someone had commented on here because I thought people were starting to get decisions...
Me too! I’m very impatiently waiting for decisions to come out.....
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bkr0202
Full Member
Walked out of another interview and found an acceptance email!!!
Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile
Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile
SAMEE!!! I’m shaking at work!!My first acceptance! I’m crying and shaking! This is the best day of maybe life!
Congrats everyone! Feel free to message with any questions (I'm an international student in my first year here and I'm loving it!)
Congratulations (sorry I am a little late to the party) to those with acceptances!
AVC moves through their alternate list pretty well, especially come April when people decide they want to be in the US/closer to home. Both my roommate and I were waitlist survivors, so I understand the feeling while waiting.
Congrats to everyone who got acceptances! I’m on the alternate list so I’ll be here hoping some of you get into other schools and decline your seats! 😉
AVC moves through their alternate list pretty well, especially come April when people decide they want to be in the US/closer to home. Both my roommate and I were waitlist survivors, so I understand the feeling while waiting.
lovelylavender
Full Member
Accepted but will be declining my seat!! Good luck to those on the alternate list 🙂
Just put down my deposit!! I am so excited to start this fall!!
YOU GOT THIS! Be confident in each and every one of your answers! Can't wait to meet ya this fallOnly a few more weeks for us Canadian applicants! Anybody else freaking out? I applied to a few nursing programs as a backup plan since I am graduating this spring and am not sure I want to take a year off. What is everyone's plan B?

Yay! I’m so excited to meet everyone this fall! When are you planning on moving out there? And where are you from?I’m late to posting here. I’m an international student and accepted my seat!I’m so excited! Good luck to all of the Canadian applicants!
Lbqk6
New Member
Yay! I’m so excited to meet everyone this fall! When are you planning on moving out there? And where are you from?![]()
I’m excited too! I plan on moving out there early August. I figured that gives me enough time to settle in and explore a little bit before classes start. I’m from St. Louis, MO. How about you?
Near Minneapolis, Minnesota! I was planning for end of July, but I'm making a trip out there to get things set up (bank, phone, etc) in June! Did you make it out to interview day or did you get stuck in the snow storm?I’m excited too! I plan on moving out there early August. I figured that gives me enough time to settle in and explore a little bit before classes start. I’m from St. Louis, MO. How about you?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For everyone who wants to do some exploring, I highly recommend PEI National Park which is only like 20mins north of downtown. I used to live about 5mins away and would run there during the school year (weather permitting, obviously!) Plus Rick’s fish and chips 🙂
Lbqk6
New Member
Near Minneapolis, Minnesota! I was planning for end of July, but I'm making a trip out there to get things set up (bank, phone, etc) in June! Did you make it out to interview day or did you get stuck in the snow storm?
That’s smart. I’m hoping I’ll get all of those things squared away in August!
I made it to the interview day. I got there a couple days before the interview. How about you?
Last edited:
Lbqk6
New Member
For everyone who wants to do some exploring, I highly recommend PEI National Park which is only like 20mins north of downtown. I used to live about 5mins away and would run there during the school year (weather permitting, obviously!) Plus Rick’s fish and chips 🙂
Thank you for the tips! 🙂
I was able to make it. It was a close call for sure. I really liked the school! I think it’s going to be amazing !That’s smart. I’m hoping I’ll get all of those things squared away in August!
I made it to the interview day. I got there a couple days before the interview. How about you?
Lbqk6
New Member
I was able to make it. It was a close call for sure. I really liked the school! I think it’s going to be amazing !
I really liked the school too! All I’ve heard from doctors is it’s a great school. I really can’t wait! I’m counting down till I move 😀
Similar threads
D
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 1K
D