-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
AVC/UPEI c/o 2025 Applicants
Started by Mel13
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted1031959
international acceptance!!! check your emails!!!!
Congrats omg!
schoolhopefull
Full Member
acceptance!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did they send out acceptances/rejections for international students yet?
passionvet
Full Member
International acceptance!!
D
deleted1031959
Did they send out acceptances/rejections for international students yet?
Some people have heard about acceptances but others haven’t heard anything (me)
I don't know anyone else who was accepted internationally yet. Congrats to who did get accepted!!!Some people have heard about acceptances but others haven’t heard anything (me)
WanderLust99
Full Member
Does it say anything in the portal???
schoolhopefull
Full Member
no, it was sent by email.Does it say anything in the portal???
WanderLust99
Full Member
no, it was sent by email.
and no one has received a rejection yet? I’m just trying to calm my nerves & hope that there is still a chance 😭
schoolhopefull
Full Member
there is always a chance! My fingers are crossed for you! It probably just takes them a little while to send everything out. best of luck!and no one has received a rejection yet? I’m just trying to calm my nerves & hope that there is still a chance 😭
WanderLust99
Full Member
I’m trying to hold it together, this is my #1 choice and I just really hope they’re being sent in waves ):there is always a chance! My fingers are crossed for you! It probably just takes them a little while to send everything out. best of luck!
D
deleted1031959
Does it say anything in the portal???
Mine doesn’t say anything
vet_med_applicant89
Full Member
Thank you!!! They might be doing multiple days or throughout today since mine was dated the 18th and they sent it today. Good luck!!!Congrats omg!
D
deleted1031959
Thank you!!! They might be doing multiple days or throughout today since mine was dated the 18th and they sent it today. Good luck!!!
Hopefully omg thank you!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WanderLust99
Full Member
What do you mean it was dated the 18th?? Like the email?Thank you!!! They might be doing multiple days or throughout today since mine was dated the 18th and they sent it today. Good luck!!!
vet_med_applicant89
Full Member
The letter attached to the email was dated on the 18thWhat do you mean it was dated the 18th?? Like the email?
vet_med_applicant89
Full Member
I also don't think my portal has changed at allThe letter attached to the email was dated on the 18th
WanderLust99
Full Member
Alternate list
D
deleted1031959
Alternate
Cassafrass
Full Member
congrats!Alternate list
Cassafrass
Full Member
congrats!Alternate
tufts is my in-state, I interview Monday. I’m also waiting on Penn. for logistics Tufts is first (I have 2 kids) but part of me really wants to just go to AVC so I’m waiting to weigh all options. 🙂International acceptance! Congrats everyone!!
Are y'all waiting for other schools or AVC is your top choice? just curious 🙂
I'm really drawn to AVC, but since I live in NJ it's a hike from all of my family. The programs seem awesome though! I'm going to try and visit the campus in March after I get the vaccine.International acceptance! Congrats everyone!!
Are y'all waiting for other schools or AVC is your top choice? just curious 🙂
Cassafrass
Full Member
I'm not sure I'll be eligible for a vaccine before the commitment date...but I'm hoping 🙂I'm really drawn to AVC, but since I live in NJ it's a hike from all of my family. The programs seem awesome though! I'm going to try and visit the campus in March after I get the vaccine.
Wheres-Waldo
New Member
Alternate also!
Cassafrass
Full Member
If you happen to have a lead on anyone who relocated with a whole family lol that would be tremendously helpful 🙂Congrats guys!! Hoping I get to meet some of you guys next year. If anyone has questions on the program, housing, or the Island feel free to shoot me a message! I'm a Canadian resident but do live with an international student who I can ask questions to 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can do them in a different province! Or even a different country🙂 one of the doctors I work with graduated from AVC and she went down to the states for hers!!Hey everyone! For our fourth year of the DVM program at UPEI, do your clinical rotations have to be in PEI or could you do them in a different province? does anyone know? Just curious!
Hi there! I have a couple of questions for any current/past students willing to chime in (or future students who know the answers)! An international perspective would be helpful for questions 1 and 7!If anyone has questions about going to AVC as a US student, I'd be happy to help! Probably most useful in answering questions about making the transition and the school itself; it's been a long time since I actually applied/interviewed so I'm sure my information in that realm is out of date. Good luck![]()
1) Would any of you be able to comment on the price/ease of process for acquiring health insurance? Also, have you or anyone you know needed to use the healthcare services in PEI? What is the availability of health services on the island?
2) Do students get to use UPEI facilities or engage in UPEI activities? Like using the fitness center/gym or participating in intramurals? What kinds of activities or clubs are available for vet students? (This is not super important, but good to know!)
3) Are there opportunities for students to work at the vet hospital? Can first years spend time shadowing at the hospital?
4) Is the style of teaching mostly lecture-based for the first couple of years? How do you like the teaching style?
5) Are there study abroad opportunities?
6) Are there research opportunities?
7) Were there any surprise costs/obstacles when moving to PEI as an international?
I know this is a lot! If anyone can answer any of these questions, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!!
Cassafrass
Full Member
I can answer the insurance question- for yourself you can buy it through the school. It’s not cheap but it is straight forward. 🙂Hi there! I have a couple of questions for any current/past students willing to chime in (or future students who know the answers)! An international perspective would be helpful for questions 1 and 7!
1) Would any of you be able to comment on the price/ease of process for acquiring health insurance? Also, have you or anyone you know needed to use the healthcare services in PEI? What is the availability of health services on the island?
2) Do students get to use UPEI facilities or engage in UPEI activities? Like using the fitness center/gym or participating in intramurals? What kinds of activities or clubs are available for vet students? (This is not super important, but good to know!)
3) Are there opportunities for students to work at the vet hospital? Can first years spend time shadowing at the hospital?
4) Is the style of teaching mostly lecture-based for the first couple of years? How do you like the teaching style?
5) Are there study abroad opportunities?
6) Are there research opportunities?
7) Were there any surprise costs/obstacles when moving to PEI as an international?
I know this is a lot! If anyone can answer any of these questions, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!!
Ooh I see that now, thank you! And it lets you add dependents! I was looking at the province health card and a bit confused by the requirements. That’s great that the school facilities health coverage!I can answer the insurance question- for yourself you can buy it through the school. It’s not cheap but it is straight forward. 🙂
Last edited:
Cassafrass
Full Member
I've read about people applying at the border and having it approved for all 4 years. You can't do that for others though--so if you had an SO etc they'd need to apply before hand.For international students, how are you proving your ability to financially support yourself/pay tuition if you haven't gotten loans or anything yet? I'm not 100% sure I'm going to UPEI but I saw that they recommend you apply for your study permit early.
1) Health insurance can be obtained through the school. The school health care system is pretty good, but the waitlist to get a primary care doctor is a few years. Some specialists are off island but most of what you'll need is on island.Hi there! I have a couple of questions for any current/past students willing to chime in (or future students who know the answers)! An international perspective would be helpful for questions 1 and 7!
1) Would any of you be able to comment on the price/ease of process for acquiring health insurance? Also, have you or anyone you know needed to use the healthcare services in PEI? What is the availability of health services on the island?
2) Do students get to use UPEI facilities or engage in UPEI activities? Like using the fitness center/gym or participating in intramurals? What kinds of activities or clubs are available for vet students? (This is not super important, but good to know!)
3) Are there opportunities for students to work at the vet hospital? Can first years spend time shadowing at the hospital?
4) Is the style of teaching mostly lecture-based for the first couple of years? How do you like the teaching style?
5) Are there study abroad opportunities?
6) Are there research opportunities?
7) Were there any surprise costs/obstacles when moving to PEI as an international?
I know this is a lot! If anyone can answer any of these questions, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!!
2) We get to use all of UPEI facilities, take part in activities and sports. The big thing right now is broom ball, which is only for vet students. Some other intramural include volleyball, soccer, a couple others (sorry not a sports person haha). Most of the clubs are vet-related. such as pathology club, theriogenology, aquatics, etc. The campus pub also has activities like trivia and such thrown by the student union.
3) Normally, I think this is possible but at the moment due to covid things are restricted to course-related stuff. We get 2 ICU shifts per semester, can volunteer for wildlife shifts and lambing, etc.
4) Teaching style is lecture based, 1 class is case-based, and we have quite a few hands-on labs. Things are obviously weird due to COVID and most of the stuff being online but I've been happy with most of the profs.
5) I think there are some during summers/4th year rotations.
6) Yes, the school for sure has a summer research program, maybe opportunity for more but I haven't looked into it.
7) "Winter tires are an absolute must. Transferring money from the US banks to Canadian banks can have some fees associated with it. Some complications related to COVID."
Awesome!! Thank you so much!!1) Health insurance can be obtained through the school. The school health care system is pretty good, but the waitlist to get a primary care doctor is a few years. Some specialists are off island but most of what you'll need is on island.
2) We get to use all of UPEI facilities, take part in activities and sports. The big thing right now is broom ball, which is only for vet students. Some other intramural include volleyball, soccer, a couple others (sorry not a sports person haha). Most of the clubs are vet-related. such as pathology club, theriogenology, aquatics, etc. The campus pub also has activities like trivia and such thrown by the student union.
3) Normally, I think this is possible but at the moment due to covid things are restricted to course-related stuff. We get 2 ICU shifts per semester, can volunteer for wildlife shifts and lambing, etc.
4) Teaching style is lecture based, 1 class is case-based, and we have quite a few hands-on labs. Things are obviously weird due to COVID and most of the stuff being online but I've been happy with most of the profs.
5) I think there are some during summers/4th year rotations.
6) Yes, the school for sure has a summer research program, maybe opportunity for more but I haven't looked into it.
7) "Winter tires are an absolute must. Transferring money from the US banks to Canadian banks can have some fees associated with it. Some complications related to COVID."
I applied and was approved at the border for all four years.I've read about people applying at the border and having it approved for all 4 years. You can't do that for others though--so if you had an SO etc they'd need to apply before hand.
@SprucetheGoose I saw your post and will reply in detail tomorrow 🙂
Cassafrass
Full Member
I'll look forward to reading it as well 🙂 If you have thoughts about spouses finding work of any kind that would be helpful too 🙂 I'm sort of guessing it's nigh unto impossible.@SprucetheGoose I saw your post and will reply in detail tomorrow 🙂
Yes, this! I have a spouse who will need to work as well! He has found several job postings in his industry, which seems promising, but any insight into getting a job on PEI would be super helpful!I'll look forward to reading it as well 🙂 If you have thoughts about spouses finding work of any kind that would be helpful too 🙂 I'm sort of guessing it's nigh unto impossible.
Cassafrass
Full Member
The
I think we might have a bunch in common-I have 2 kiddos. I’m in MA 🙂 fee free to pm me and I’ll share anything I find out. I have som friends who went to PEI as well 🙂Yes, this! I have a spouse who will need to work as well! He has found several job postings in his industry, which seems promising, but any insight into getting a job on PEI would be super helpful!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1030145
Hey guys! Does anyone have any comments on doing a master's program? I am considering options (in the case that this year is not my year) just so I can keep myself busy in the meantime throughout the next application cycle. My honours supervisor has offered me a 1-year master's program (that would theoretically end by the time I would potentially start vet school if I got in). It is animal-based research as well. Has anyone done this and does anyone have any recommendations? Would working for a year in a clinic/animal environment be better? 🙂
Hi there! Your situation is pretty different from my own, so I personally can’t give much advice on what to do. However, I strongly suggest meeting with a vet school admissions counselor and asking their advice! Ideally, meet with someone at a school you really want to attend since different schools look for different things. An advisor at one of my top schools I applied to helped me decide what types of classes to take ASAP (for example, I was told to leave physics for my last prereq since they cared way more about grades in other prereqs like Biochem). I was also told that quality of experience is valued over quantity. I don’t know if that’s the case for all schools! They can help you decide what makes sense to emphasize in your essay based on your goals. Or what parts of your resume or transcript might require an explanation in the explanation statement. They can also tell you what kind of experience makes sense for your goals (ex. a masters if you’re interested in lab work or a more academic route, shelter work if you’re interested in shelter animal medicine, etc. etc.)(just examples.. I am very not qualified to advise you on this😅). They can even help answer how focused your goals need to be during the app cycle even if you might change your mind in school. I had a one on one meeting at one school and attended applicant info sessions at other schools. All were extremely helpful. And if anyone offers an application review definitely take advantage of that! It really helps to make a list of questions ahead of time and you can easily cover all of this in a 20 min meeting!Hey guys! Does anyone have any comments on doing a master's program? I am considering options (in the case that this year is not my year) just so I can keep myself busy in the meantime throughout the next application cycle. My honours supervisor has offered me a 1-year master's program (that would theoretically end by the time I would potentially start vet school if I got in). It is animal-based research as well. Has anyone done this and does anyone have any recommendations? Would working for a year in a clinic/animal environment be better? 🙂
The only personal advice I have to offer is to spend your year doing something you’re actually interested in! But again that’s just my personal advice 🙂. Good luck and I hope everything works out!!
D
deleted1030145
Thank you so much! As of yet, the only school that I am applying to is AVC, as I am considered an Atlantic Canadian applicant. I will try my best to contact our local advisor but she is often very busy and has made it very clear that she's new to doing this part of the job so she can't help with a whole lot unfortunatly... but I'll ask her what she thinks!Hi there! Your situation is pretty different from my own, so I personally can’t give much advice on what to do. However, I strongly suggest meeting with a vet school admissions counselor and asking their advice! Ideally, meet with someone at a school you really want to attend since different schools look for different things. An advisor at one of my top schools I applied to helped me decide what types of classes to take ASAP (for example, I was told to leave physics for my last prereq since they cared way more about grades in other prereqs like Biochem). I was also told that quality of experience is valued over quantity. I don’t know if that’s the case for all schools! They can help you decide what makes sense to emphasize in your essay based on your goals. Or what parts of your resume or transcript might require an explanation in the explanation statement. They can also tell you what kind of experience makes sense for your goals (ex. a masters if you’re interested in lab work or a more academic route, shelter work if you’re interested in shelter animal medicine, etc. etc.)(just examples.. I am very not qualified to advise you on this😅). They can even help answer how focused your goals need to be during the app cycle even if you might change your mind in school. I had a one on one meeting at one school and attended applicant info sessions at other schools. All were extremely helpful. And if anyone offers an application review definitely take advantage of that! It really helps to make a list of questions ahead of time and you can easily cover all of this in a 20 min meeting!
The only personal advice I have to offer is to spend your year doing something you’re actually interested in! But again that’s just my personal advice 🙂. Good luck and I hope everything works out!!
Oh shoot, I’m sorry to hear that! I was coming from a US perspective. It might be worth reaching out to a US school that offers advising! I know Colorado state offers advising appointments remotely for applicants and I think many others do too. I’m sorry I can’t help more.Thank you so much! As of yet, the only school that I am applying to is AVC, as I am considered an Atlantic Canadian applicant. I will try my best to contact our local advisor but she is often very busy and has made it very clear that she's new to doing this part of the job so she can't help with a whole lot unfortunatly... but I'll ask her what she thinks!
D
deleted1030145
That's ok! Thank you I will look into that! 🙂Oh shoot, I’m sorry to hear that! I was coming from a US perspective. It might be worth reaching out to a US school that offers advising! I know Colorado state offers advising appointments remotely for applicants and I think many others do too. I’m sorry I can’t help more.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 144
- Views
- 18K