-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
AVC/UPEI c/o 2025 Applicants
Started by Mel13
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yellowknife95
Full Member
I'm not sure, but I know in other years they've sent them out later. I just think it's very telling and disrespectful to the people who didn't get an interview or get accepted to tell people at different times. I interviewed last year and found out I didn't get accepted from these forums when people who got accepted posted their acceptance before the school sent rejections. It reminds me of places who you do a job interview for and they don't tell you you've been rejected, so you're just left wondering. They only interview 6 people for 3 seats from NL though, so maybe they just haven't sent out those invites yet! Don't be discouraged if you don't get it this year, like I said I interviewed last year and didn't get in, and I doubt I'll interview this year since they aren't taking the GRE so it's all grades based.Do you think that’s what they’re doing? 😩 I’m from NL and haven’t heard anything yet, I’m so nervous
Thank you for the reply!! It helped a lot! Best of luck to you!! 😃I'm not sure, but I know in other years they've sent them out later. I just think it's very telling and disrespectful to the people who didn't get an interview or get accepted to tell people at different times. I interviewed last year and found out I didn't get accepted from these forums when people who got accepted posted their acceptance before the school sent rejections. It reminds me of places who you do a job interview for and they don't tell you you've been rejected, so you're just left wondering. They only interview 6 people for 3 seats from NL though, so maybe they just haven't sent out those invites yet! Don't be discouraged if you don't get it this year, like I said I interviewed last year and didn't get in, and I doubt I'll interview this year since they aren't taking the GRE so it's all grades based.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not sure, but I know in other years they've sent them out later. I just think it's very telling and disrespectful to the people who didn't get an interview or get accepted to tell people at different times. I interviewed last year and found out I didn't get accepted from these forums when people who got accepted posted their acceptance before the school sent rejections. It reminds me of places who you do a job interview for and they don't tell you you've been rejected, so you're just left wondering. They only interview 6 people for 3 seats from NL though, so maybe they just haven't sent out those invites yet! Don't be discouraged if you don't get it this year, like I said I interviewed last year and didn't get in, and I doubt I'll interview this year since they aren't taking the GRE so it's all grades based.
This is only my first round applying but from what I've heard from people trying to get in from NL their grades need to be closer to 90, 95 which is crazy compared to other provinces where 75, 80 and 85s are accepted. I'm trying to be optimistic but also realistic with myself and getting an interview. I'm sitting at around 85 grades wise so for NL that's not amazing apparently! Here's hoping we get good news though and if not we will keep trying!I'm not sure, but I know in other years they've sent them out later. I just think it's very telling and disrespectful to the people who didn't get an interview or get accepted to tell people at different times. I interviewed last year and found out I didn't get accepted from these forums when people who got accepted posted their acceptance before the school sent rejections. It reminds me of places who you do a job interview for and they don't tell you you've been rejected, so you're just left wondering. They only interview 6 people for 3 seats from NL though, so maybe they just haven't sent out those invites yet! Don't be discouraged if you don't get it this year, like I said I interviewed last year and didn't get in, and I doubt I'll interview this year since they aren't taking the GRE so it's all grades based.
Yellowknife95
Full Member
My average last year when I interviewed was a 89 year (same as this year) so who knows lol, I've been accepted to 3 international schools this year though so at least there's options still! Best of luck to you!!This is only my first round applying but from what I've heard from people trying to get in from NL their grades need to be closer to 90, 95 which is crazy compared to other provinces where 75, 80 and 85s are accepted. I'm trying to be optimistic but also realistic with myself and getting an interview. I'm sitting at around 85 grades wise so for NL that's not amazing apparently! Here's hoping we get good news though and if not we will keep trying!
Last edited:
There isn’t a single thing about AVC’s admissions that signals respect to domestic applicants lol. I’m trying not to let how problematic their criteria are or how little they appear to care about applicants tarnish my view of the school. It’s been my dream school since I was 10 but the rose-coloured glasses have really come off after seeing during this cycle how different international schools are.I'm not sure, but I know in other years they've sent them out later. I just think it's very telling and disrespectful to the people who didn't get an interview or get accepted to tell people at different times. I interviewed last year and found out I didn't get accepted from these forums when people who got accepted posted their acceptance before the school sent rejections. It reminds me of places who you do a job interview for and they don't tell you you've been rejected, so you're just left wondering. They only interview 6 people for 3 seats from NL though, so maybe they just haven't sent out those invites yet! Don't be discouraged if you don't get it this year, like I said I interviewed last year and didn't get in, and I doubt I'll interview this year since they aren't taking the GRE so it's all grades based.
If you don't mind me asking how has your experience been with the international schools? I haven't considered them due to $$$There isn’t a single thing about AVC’s admissions that signals respect to domestic applicants lol. I’m trying not to let how problematic their criteria are or how little they appear to care about applicants tarnish my view of the school. It’s been my dream school since I was 10 but the rose-coloured glasses have really come off after seeing during this cycle how different international schools are.
Yellowknife95
Full Member
Fantastic, interviews went so well, I felt so welcomed and supported through the process! I haven't picked between the three yet, but I got into RVC, Edinburgh and Glasgow, and all three have sent followup emails of some sort, had tons of info sessions, personal calls from current students, etc. And of course I'd expect that since they're just so so expensive, but at the end of the day, I'm fortunate enough to have support from my family and Im willing to be in debt to avoid shagging around with AVC for another year and have that experience overseas. I haven't started this process since I'm still waiting for the official rejection, but they help you find housing, do your visa application, bring pets over etc.If you don't mind me asking how has your experience been with the international schools? I haven't considered them due to $$$
Yellowknife95
Full Member
Oh it's insanely inconsistent and problematic. I'm friends with a bunch of very wonderfully talented and brilliant women who have got in over the last few years, and one of their classmates this year got in with no clinic hours. Like, had never worked or voluneered at a clinic. How????There isn’t a single thing about AVC’s admissions that signals respect to domestic applicants lol. I’m trying not to let how problematic their criteria are or how little they appear to care about applicants tarnish my view of the school. It’s been my dream school since I was 10 but the rose-coloured glasses have really come off after seeing during this cycle how different international schools are.
Last edited:
92chickens
New Member
If you don't mind me asking, what did the email say? Did it mention not getting an interview or did it say they couldn't offer admission? I ask because I got an email that was a copy and paste admissions rejection email so I'm incredibly confused on how to take it.I got an email from Tracy at 3PM, did not get an interview unfortunately. Hopefully next year (NS applicant btw).
Last edited:
It was a big process trying to catch up in knowledge with all the applicants who’d been planning to apply through VMCAS for years (I decided to apply late June, VMCAS deadline is Sept 15)! Definitely only look into it if it would be financially feasible for you and you think it’s worth it, since it is much more expensive to attend even the least expensive international school and even applying is a big investment of time and money (even moreso next cycle if schools go back to in-person interviews)If you don't mind me asking how has your experience been with the international schools? I haven't considered them due to $$$
I decided it was worth it to me because I really don’t have faith that putting in the work to make myself the best applicant possible will necessarily make me more likely to be accepted to AVC, since 20% of admissions score is basically a Buzzfeed quiz and they don’t consider experience*, letters of recommendation, essays, achievements, extracurriculars, etc. I am grateful for the gap year that I’ve had, but I don’t want to delay the start of my career much more, and I would rather go to an international school than continue to “roll the dice” (as I and other applicants I’ve spoken with feel applying to AVC is - all schools admissions have a big element of chance, considering how many more qualified applicants there are than seats, but AVC’s admissions process is... yeah.) and potentially never get admitted to AVC or have to reapply many years. The VIN foundation cost map is immensely helpful for comparing costs: How much will my veterinary education cost? | VetSchoolBound
I applied to CSU, Cornell, Purdue, Wisconsin, SGU, Michigan, and Minnesota. A big factor for me that doesn’t get discussed much on SDN was the prerequisites - most people on this forum have been planning to apply through VMCAS for a long time, so they’ve known and have been prepared to complete the prereqs for the schools they apply to. Almost all international schools require 1 or 2 semesters of physics with lab, most require a second semester of organic chemistry with lab, some require animal nutrition, some require public speaking, and some have other more unique prereqs. VIN has a map here: What prerequisites do I need for veterinary school? | VetSchoolBound. Do check the FAQs, application info, and prerequisites info of schools you’re interested in, though, since there can be hidden details like whether the public speaking prerequisite is waived if you have a Bachelor’s or whether they require “one semester with lab” or “4 credits” (due to differences in US vs Canadian typical credits you might have to contact them if you have a 3-credit course with 0-credit lab in the latter case).
The VMCAS fee for 7 schools was $940, and the average secondary application fee per school was about $50, iirc. There may also be hidden costs, depending on the school, for things like CASPER ($56 iirc), sending transcripts, WES reports (Over $200. VMCAS doesn’t take them for Canadian transcripts, but Cornell and probably some other schools want them sent directly to them), and travel for interviews ($0 this year, thank god). If you start your application for the next cycle after hearing back from AVC in mid-June, it’s a bit of a mad scramble trying to figure out where to apply, what you need, finding LOR writers, and completing your personal statement essay and all your secondary essays in time. If you’re considering going the international route, I encourage putting in a bit of time beforehand to research where you’d apply and what you’d need in case you aren’t admitted to AVC.
I am so glad I applied internationally. I’ll be a bit bummed about all the time and money I put in if it turns out I don’t have to attend an international school, but the experience really makes you crystallize your reasons for wanting to go into vet med, your goals, and what makes you a great candidate. I’m thrilled to be accepted to Cornell, Purdue, Wisconsin, and SGU. The peace of mind knowing that I will be studying vet med somewhere in 6 months is a godsend as we all wait for AVC to generously deign to inform us a whole 2 months before the start of classes whether we’re accepted.
* allegedly the interview is meant to assess your experience, but I and some other SDN posters and applicants I know IRL were asked only very broad questions about vet med instead of being given an opportunity to bring our experiences into our answers. None of the applicants who I’ve heard this from were admitted. Not to extrapolate too much from a few anecdotes, but I get the feeling that if you have bad luck and get questions that make it difficult to show your experiences, you have to reach really hard to force in talking about your experiences or you will be scored very poorly, since the interview score is meant to score your veterinary/animal experience.
I think it's important to remember there are many ways to be a veterinarian. For example, public health, research, etc. Not everyone wants to be a clinician and there is no expectation of having that sort of experience when you go to vet school. It's also important to remember not to gatekeep - some people may not have had access to that sort of training for whatever reason, and nobody should be held back because of that. People in vet school have experiences in a number of different areas, and that's what makes every class and every doctor unique. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. I get that you are upset with the admissions requirements, it can be a frustrating process. As a Newfoundlander who couldn't make the cut and subsequently moved to PEI, I empathize with you, but that's no reason to judge others.Oh it's insanely inconsistent and problematic. I'm friends with a bunch of very wonderfully talented and brilliant women who have got in over the last few years, and one of their classmates this year got in with no clinic hours. Like, had other good experience, but has never worked at a clinic. How????
* allegedly the interview is meant to assess your experience, but I and some other SDN posters and applicants I know IRL were asked only very broad questions about vet med instead of being given an opportunity to bring our experiences into our answers. None of the applicants who I’ve heard this from were admitted. Not to extrapolate too much from a few anecdotes, but I get the feeling that if you have bad luck and get questions that make it difficult to show your experiences, you have to reach really hard to force in talking about your experiences or you will be scored very poorly, since the interview score is meant to score your veterinary/animal experience.
I was asked broad questions about vet med (i.e. what is a veterinarian's role in society, what are challenges veterinarians face, why do you want to be a vet) and about conflict resolution, as well as others in my class! The interview is assessing your experience, yes, but more so how your experiences have shaped your view of veterinary medicine as a whole and your understanding of what it is you're signing up for. 🙂
Yellowknife95
Full Member
Oh I completely understand and appreciate the importance of having vets in so many different fields with different experiences. My frustration does not come from that individual, but the process itself that prioritizes grades over experience. I have several thousand hours of experience in clinics, wildlife, farm animals, etc. but because my grades aren't a 90+, I will never get into AVC. I know people who have applied 6, 7, 8 times to this school domestically before getting in that would be wonderful vets, but their grades weren't competitive enough. I don't want to turn this into a rant thread, because I'm happy for those who have got in and it should be a place to network and share in that joy, I was just pointing out that the system is broken, as it is in many professional schools. You shouldn't have had to move to a new province to get into the only school you could apply to (at one time) in Canada. Like we can't gatekeep those who get in without any clinical experience, we can't gatekeep and judge those who can't financially or practically afford to uproot their life and spend a ton of money to move to a province, retake first year courses, hire tutors, etc. I hope my thoughts aren't translating too harshly, it's hard making things come out right over text!I think it's important to remember there are many ways to be a veterinarian. For example, public health, research, etc. Not everyone wants to be a clinician and there is no expectation of having that sort of experience when you go to vet school. It's also important to remember not to gatekeep - some people may not have had access to that sort of training for whatever reason, and nobody should be held back because of that. People in vet school have experiences in a number of different areas, and that's what makes every class and every doctor unique. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. I get that you are upset with the admissions requirements, it can be a frustrating process. As a Newfoundlander who couldn't make the cut and subsequently moved to PEI, I empathize with you, but that's no reason to judge others.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got the same! Pretty rough. Not sure what my options are now if my grades aren’t enough..Just got 2 rejection emails so thats something! Was not expecting anything being from NL but it still sucks!
We're in the same boat! I have planned for a while to move to PEI for residency but I definitely need to talk to Tracy (in my email she said she cannot answer questions until at least mid-may) before I make plans. I know NL is crazy competitive but like if my 85 is too low for other provinces also idk what to say lol the average posted on the site for last year was 85.7 with a range of 74-93 so maybe the move to PEI plan will work.I got the same! Pretty rough. Not sure what my options are now if my grades aren’t enough..
Maybe we should just start a petition to get NL to fund more seats lol that was a suggestion I got from the vet in Bay Roberts as they cannot even find any new vets to hire because hardly any Newfoundlanders get in!
I just want to raise the point that academic requirements have changed for the Fall 2022 application cycle. On the website you’ll see that courses will now be accepted if they are less than 10 academic years old. This used to be 6 years. Just some positivity for those who haven’t been accepted this year. ☺️
92chickens
New Member
The website says the 2020-2021 admissions cycle, I figured that meant this year? Either way, I'm currently finishing up my second year of having retaken courses based on the 6-year expiry, so this change kinda screws me over, I think. Sucks they didn't post it until well after October 15th, otherwise I'd have emailed and asked what I could do. Even the academic calendar still says 6 years.I just want to raise the point that academic requirements have changed for the Fall 2022 application cycle. On the website you’ll see that courses will now be accepted if they are less than 10 academic years old. This used to be 6 years. Just some positivity for those who haven’t been accepted this year. ☺️
Last edited:
Understanding the DVM Admissions Process | University of Prince Edward Island (upei.ca)The website says the 2020-2021 admissions cycle, I figured that meant this year? Either way, I'm currently finishing up my second year of having retaken courses based on the 6-year expiry, so this change kinda screws me over, I think. Sucks they didn't post it until well after October 15th, otherwise I'd have emailed and asked what I could do. Even the academic calendar still says 6 years.
"Courses will not be acceptable if they are repeats of previously passed courses taken within the last ten years, or if they cover similar material to previously passed courses taken within the last ten years."
I spoke with Tracy about this, as I am currently retaking courses based on the 6-year expiry as well. She said the new 10-year expiry only begins for the Fall 2022 application cycle (Oct 15 2021 application). She said that anything that was retaken to accommodate the 6-year expiry will be considered if it is a better mark than the first one you took.
For example, I retook Org chem a year early (I took it initially in Fall 2015 so it isn't expired yet), because I was planning ahead. Now, with the new 10-year expiry rule, I thought I took Org chem for absolutely no reason, but Tracy assured me it would be considered in the next application cycle (if need be), because I took it with the 6-year expiry in mind (I got a better mark this year than Fall 2015).
I hope this helps. You are not in school for no reason!
92chickens
New Member
Oh, thank you! That relieves a lot of stress considering the retakes are all much better than the first time around, haha.Understanding the DVM Admissions Process | University of Prince Edward Island (upei.ca)
"Courses will not be acceptable if they are repeats of previously passed courses taken within the last ten years, or if they cover similar material to previously passed courses taken within the last ten years."
I spoke with Tracy about this, as I am currently retaking courses based on the 6-year expiry as well. She said the new 10-year expiry only begins for the Fall 2022 application cycle (Oct 15 2021 application). She said that anything that was retaken to accommodate the 6-year expiry will be considered if it is a better mark than the first one you took.
For example, I retook Org chem a year early (I took it initially in Fall 2015 so it isn't expired yet), because I was planning ahead. Now, with the new 10-year expiry rule, I thought I took Org chem for absolutely no reason, but Tracy assured me it would be considered in the next application cycle (if need be), because I took it with the 6-year expiry in mind (I got a better mark this year than Fall 2015).
I hope this helps. You are not in school for no reason!
Now I just need her to clarify why I got an automated admissions rejection email yesterday. 🤔
Unfortunately, people who are receiving interview rejection emails are also receiving admissions rejections at the same time.Oh, thank you! That relieves a lot of stress considering the retakes are all much better than the first time around, haha.
Now I just need her to clarify why I got an automated admissions rejection email yesterday. 🤔
92chickens
New Member
But that's the thing, I haven't gotten an interview rejection letter.Unfortunately, people who are receiving interview rejection emails are also receiving admissions rejections at the same time.
Same here 🙁I got the same! Pretty rough. Not sure what my options are now if my grades aren’t enough..
Oh ok sorry I didn’t realizeBut that's the thing, I haven't gotten an interview rejection letter.
Just for some clarity, if I were to retake a course that I did poorly in within the last year, I cannot retake that course, say next semester correct? There is no way for me to retake a course for a better mark to show on my transcript?
Also, if this is the case how will I improve my application for reapplying if I cannot improve my required course grades?
( sorry this is so long or a silly question)
Also, if this is the case how will I improve my application for reapplying if I cannot improve my required course grades?
( sorry this is so long or a silly question)
That’s correct. You’d have to take a new course in the same subject that could replace the one you did poorly in. No retaking of courses unless they are 10 academic years old or older, for the next application cycle.Just for some clarity, if I were to retake a course that I did poorly in within the last year, I cannot retake that course, say next semester correct? There is no way for me to retake a course for a better mark to show on my transcript?
Also, if this is the case how will I improve my application for reapplying if I cannot improve my required course grades?
( sorry this is so long or a silly question)
for example, if you did poorly in calculus, you could take linear algebra next year and have that count as your math mark instead of calc.
Okay thank you for explaining! If I did poorly in genetics I, I wouldn’t be able to take genetics II, to replace the mark correct? Because they are somewhat the same?That’s correct. You’d have to take a new course in the same subject that could replace the one you did poorly in. No retaking of courses unless they are 10 academic years old or older, for the next application cycle.
for example, if you did poorly in calculus, you could take linear algebra next year and have that count as your math mark instead of calc.
Yellowknife95
Full Member
I would suggest reaching out to Tracy or admission directly and telling them the courses you plan to take. I got screwed over with some math courses where they told me one was okay and then Jack called me a week before interviews went out 2 years ago and was like just kidding! We're actually going to take your lower mark because we decided they were too similar! Best of luck to you next round!Okay thank you for explaining! If I did poorly in genetics I, I wouldn’t be able to take genetics II, to replace the mark correct? Because they are somewhat the same?
That’s heartbreaking. All I can confirm is linear algebra can replace calculus, because that’s what I did and confirmed it with Tracy. Otherwise, I don’t know what can replace what. So I agree to reach out to Tracy!I would suggest reaching out to Tracy or admission directly and telling them the courses you plan to take. I got screwed over with some math courses where they told me one was okay and then Jack called me a week before interviews went out 2 years ago and was like just kidding! We're actually going to take your lower mark because we decided they were too similar! Best of luck to you next round!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I'm in that boat as well! I plan on getting my PEI residency because NL is way too competitive for me.We're in the same boat! I have planned for a while to move to PEI for residency but I definitely need to talk to Tracy (in my email she said she cannot answer questions until at least mid-may) before I make plans. I know NL is crazy competitive but like if my 85 is too low for other provinces also idk what to say lol the average posted on the site for last year was 85.7 with a range of 74-93 so maybe the move to PEI plan will work.
Maybe we should just start a petition to get NL to fund more seats lol that was a suggestion I got from the vet in Bay Roberts as they cannot even find any new vets to hire because hardly any Newfoundlanders get in!
Also, I agree that NL needs to fund for more seats as the shortage of vets is becoming a problem; especially since everyone decided to get pets during the covid lock down. I also heard that there is a huge need for large animal vets as well.
92chickens
New Member
No worries! I didn't specify. But that's why I'm so confused. And if she's not answering questions about not getting an interview or file reviews until mid-May, I'm worried she's gonna think my email is along that line and not even look at it. I was on the waitlist for NS last year and have only improved my grades since, so I don't know how I could have scored so differently to not even get an interview this time around. Am I way off base for thinking that's weird? If it's just that competitive this year, then I understand though.Oh ok sorry I didn’t realize
Yes it's getting really bad here with the shortage! There's a shortage of large, avian, and companion animal vets outside of St. Johns. My own vet has to cut after hour emergency services starting July, and with a 12 year old dog who had an emergency just a few months ago I am terrified for my animals! Here's hoping we get in through PEI. I feel bad taking seats from potential Pei candidates but its the only way for a lot of Newfoundlanders.Hey, I'm in that boat as well! I plan on getting my PEI residency because NL is way too competitive for me.
Also, I agree that NL needs to fund for more seats as the shortage of vets is becoming a problem; especially since everyone decided to get pets during the covid lock down. I also heard that there is a huge need for large animal vets as well.
That’s very strange. I was waitlisted for NB last year and got an interview this year again. Marks can’t be that bad without the GRE... it doesn’t make much sense. But like you said, is this a really competitive year?!No worries! I didn't specify. But that's why I'm so confused. And if she's not answering questions about not getting an interview or file reviews until mid-May, I'm worried she's gonna think my email is along that line and not even look at it. I was on the waitlist for NS last year and have only improved my grades since, so I don't know how I could have scored so differently to not even get an interview this time around. Am I way off base for thinking that's weird? If it's just that competitive this year, then I understand though.
I think it is! I improved my grades significantly in the last few years and my application is strong with lots of vet and animal experience but I did not get an interview (NB applicant). Congratulations and good luck to everyone who got an invite!! I hope to see you there next year 🙂That’s very strange. I was waitlisted for NB last year and got an interview this year again. Marks can’t be that bad without the GRE... it doesn’t make much sense. But like you said, is this a really competitive year?!
For anyone who has been through the application process before but did not get an interview, how did you improve your application? I plan on asking Tracy about the courses I can take to replace some marks but is there anything else anyone would recommend? Besides moving to another Atlantic province 😩 (NL applicant)I also am trying to add to my veterinary experience but it’s hard to find volunteer positions during covid 🙁
The email I got said:If you don't mind me asking, what did the email say? Did it mention not getting an interview or did it say they couldn't offer admission? I ask because I got an email that was a copy and paste admissions rejection email so I'm incredibly confused on how to take it.
“Thank you for your interest in the University of Prince Edward Island. Unfortunately, at this time we are unable to offer you admission to the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program.”
I was a bit confused but I just took it as I would not be getting an interview.
Does anyone know what the average marks are for Nova Scotia? I emailed Tracy to see where I was lacking in my application but she said she won’t be able to look at my application until at least May. I felt confident with my experience so I’m assuming it was my grades. I’m not sure where to go from here, luckily I’m only in my third year of my degree so I have another year to figure stuff out. Congrats and good luck to everyone that got an invite, hope to see you all around next year 🙂
I’m looking forward to hearing more from them in May regarding improving my application. However ideally I need to improve my first year chemistry marks. I don’t believe there are any equivalent courses and I can’t imagine starting over in 10 years..
Hugs to everyone dealing with a rejection. I know I’m feeling pretty discouraged.
Hugs to everyone dealing with a rejection. I know I’m feeling pretty discouraged.
You could replace your first year chems with upper year chems, it doesn’t necessarily have to be redoing the first year ones.I’m looking forward to hearing more from them in May regarding improving my application. However ideally I need to improve my first year chemistry marks. I don’t believe there are any equivalent courses and I can’t imagine starting over in 10 years..
Hugs to everyone dealing with a rejection. I know I’m feeling pretty discouraged.
I hadn't received one so I emailed her yesterday and she said that she did get my email! She must just not be replying to everyoneDid anyone receive a confirmation email from Tracy when they confirmed their interview invitation?
92chickens
New Member
Sorry to be coming back to this again, but can you explain how your Org Chem will be considered next year if you retook it early? Based on what I'm reading from your post (correct me if I'm wrong though!), the 6-year expiry for your Fall 2015 course is the 2021 admissions, right? I finally got a reply from Tracy today and she says my retakes this year (Fall 2020- Winter 2021) to replace the Fall 2014- Winter 2015 ones don't count because they're exactly 6 years. Even though Jack told me before he left that 2013 retakes start in 2019 and 2014 retakes start in 2020. I still have his email about it. Apparently, that's why I didn't get an interview. I'm so confused.Understanding the DVM Admissions Process | University of Prince Edward Island (upei.ca)
"Courses will not be acceptable if they are repeats of previously passed courses taken within the last ten years, or if they cover similar material to previously passed courses taken within the last ten years."
I spoke with Tracy about this, as I am currently retaking courses based on the 6-year expiry as well. She said the new 10-year expiry only begins for the Fall 2022 application cycle (Oct 15 2021 application). She said that anything that was retaken to accommodate the 6-year expiry will be considered if it is a better mark than the first one you took.
For example, I retook Org chem a year early (I took it initially in Fall 2015 so it isn't expired yet), because I was planning ahead. Now, with the new 10-year expiry rule, I thought I took Org chem for absolutely no reason, but Tracy assured me it would be considered in the next application cycle (if need be), because I took it with the 6-year expiry in mind (I got a better mark this year than Fall 2015).
I hope this helps. You are not in school for no reason!
Last edited:
... something’s wrong here because my courses from Fall 2014 - Winter 2015 had to be redone this year because Tracy told me they were expired. What’s going on?! I’m also confused.Sorry to be coming back to this again, but can you explain how your Org Chem will be considered next year if you retook it early? Based on what I'm reading from your post (correct me if I'm wrong though!), the 6-year expiry for your Fall 2015 course is the 2021 admissions, right? I finally got a reply from Tracy today and she says my retakes this year (Fall 2020- Winter 2021) to replace the Fall 2014- Winter 2015 ones don't count because they're exactly 6 years. Even though Jack told me before he left that 2013 retakes start in 2019 and 2014 retakes start in 2020. I still have his email about it. Apparently, that's why I didn't get an interview. I'm so confused.
chroniclesofcookie
New Member
Just received the interview date from Lisa today!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got mine yesterday! Exciting stuffJust received the interview date from Lisa today!
Online!Will you guys be interviewing in person or online?
92chickens
New Member
Me too! I wasn't expecting it to happen before the end of April! 😳 My interview last year wasn't until May 11th.Got mine yesterday! Exciting stuff
Cassafrass
Full Member
I declined my international seat today, best of luck to all of you still waiting to hear!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 144
- Views
- 18K