AZCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lol Sounds like a good summer plan to me.

I'm thinking you're right about the thread...plus I'm guessing the 2010/11 will be opening up soonish.

Yeah, I'm just going off of last years.

I actually intend to start the next thread myself around the same time. As you know, the thread starter and basically made threads for almost every DO school he/she applied to.

Ultimately, it seems this person will end up in NOVA, but I was a little peeved that on the same day, there were 5+ new threads by the same person, essentially splintering the 08-09 threads and forcing the exodus for some arbitrary reason.

I still think the 08-09 thread holds a lot of good information, especially for those who are waitlisted this year, so when I make the new thread, I plan to link back to it, including this one. I'll also move over the uploaded files and the links for the match list for this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised that SDN doesn't just have a mod start all of the new school-specific threads on the same day with the previous threads linked to the new ones.

Hi Everyone,
Since the thread has fallen silent, I'm guessing no one has heard from admissions. If you've had any contact with them lately, would you mind sharing updates? I'm sure all the alternates (myself included) would appreciate a glimmer of hope:)
Cheers!

Well, after my really long analytical thesis of the waitlist I felt I owed the thread some silence for awhile :D
I, like probably all the other waitlisters, haven't heard anything still. I don't imagine we will hear anything until at least the 31st, based off last year's thread.
In the meantime I actually shadowed a D.O. radiologist 2 weeks ago and had him write me a good letter of rec (I assume it was good because he seemed pretty excited about the nice bottle of bourbon I gave him).Believe it or not I had one letter from an MD I did not shadow and one from a science faculty member. I am hoping the D.O. shadowing experience and letter will count for a lot as I thought it was a big weakness in my application.
I also just next day aired my trancripts from grad school this year, got A's this semester, to show that I am continuing to do well. I am hoping this stuff helps but I have also sent transcripts to AACOMAS and finished my application for 2011 which I will submit on the 1st of June.
I am not the "wait and see" type, I am trying to be proactive in pursuit of getting this cycle or the next. I am also not competitive enough to not encourage everyone to do the same.
Good luck everyone, don't give up!

Speaking of not giving up, first time I took the MCAT I got a 27, 2nd time I got a 35, we can always get and do better:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, nothing in particular. We might go overseas on vacation but that idea is starting to fade. I figure it's going to be fairly low key, which I wouldn't mind right about now. That and Starcraft 2 is coming out so you can be I'll be playing that this summer :laugh:
Putting "I beat some Koreans in SC2" in your CV won't hurt one bit :)

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised that SDN doesn't just have a mod start all of the new school-specific threads on the same day with the previous threads linked to the new ones.

Honestly, that would be a lot of work and the mods are still on a volunteer basis. Still, it bugs me that there are only 5 mods for Pre-osteo but 15 for Pre-allo. This sub forum has probably the lowest mod to active users/posts on the site, and even then, some mods double duty in the Osteo forums. I haven't seen some Assistant mods in a long time either. People get busy I suppose.

You know I actually thought about applying for a mod position, probably just assistant mod. The thing is I don't know how much 'work' it would entail, but probably not that much. I'd definitely wouldn't mind doing that 'thread refresh' every year because even though it's a pain, it's only once a year.

The thing is most 'qualified' candidates for mod positions post all over and help a lot of different people. Most of my posts are confined to specific schools and EM, although I have tossed around some advice to the "What should I do" thread. It's posters like Jaggerplate that would be most qualified, but I feel he just wants to put in his 0.02 and discuss now and then, not worry about being a mod.

I might actually consider it again. We'll see :)

EDIT - Actually, I just checked through all of them and yeah, they do still get on fairly regularly, but mostly for duties it seems rather than posts.

Well, after my really long analytical thesis of the waitlist I felt I owed the thread some silence for awhile :D
I, like probably all the other waitlisters, haven't heard anything still. I don't imagine we will hear anything until at least the 31st, based off last year's thread.
In the meantime I actually shadowed a D.O. radiologist 2 weeks ago and had him write me a good letter of rec (I assume it was good because he seemed pretty excited about the nice bottle of bourbon I gave him).Believe it or not I had one letter from an MD I did not shadow and one from a science faculty member. I am hoping the D.O. shadowing experience and letter will count for a lot as I thought it was a big weakness in my application.
I also just next day aired my trancripts from grad school this year, got A's this semester, to show that I am continuing to do well. I am hoping this stuff helps but I have also sent transcripts to AACOMAS and finished my application for 2011 which I will submit on the 1st of June.
I am not the "wait and see" type, I am trying to be proactive in pursuit of getting this cycle or the next. I am also not competitive enough to not encourage everyone to do the same.
Good luck everyone, don't give up!

Speaking of not giving up, first time I took the MCAT I got a 27, 2nd time I got a 35, we can always get and do better:thumbup:

Good work on preparing for the next cycle. I really hope the best for you, because it seems like you're working to fix very specific things. It's not easy, so good luck to you.

Putting "I beat some Koreans in SC2" in your CV won't hurt one bit :)

Haha, my APM is abysmal, so maybe I can improve it for faster suturing. Imagine microing two needles and two threads at once :laugh:

Yeah, I'm hoping this site still exists when I can actually afford to donate, because I'd do it in a heartbeat...it'd be nice if those mods got some kind of kickback for their time...

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm hoping this site still exists when I can actually afford to donate, because I'd do it in a heartbeat...it'd be nice if those mods got some kind of kickback for their time...

Heh, well, remember, donation is for maintaining the site, not so much helping the mods. They volunteer their time.

I'm pretty sure SDN will be around for a long time. It has a large parent company and is probably the largest network for healthcare professionals. The major thing that is missing now is something like what Sermo and LinkedIn do, in which there is a direct connection with other users for professional purposes, but I can also see why they don't go that route, due to redundancy and privacy.

lol Partial wishful thinking on my part and hoping that their ad revenues increase between now and then and more people donate.

Annnnd to all of you on the waitlist, I know of at least one person who's recently withdrawn their acceptance. :xf:

Just let the dust settle. I know a lot of people (myself included) that are holding an acceptance at AZCOM, hoping to get off a waitlist at an MD school. Because AZCOM generally takes higher MCATs I am sure this is the case for many holding an acceptance. The best of luck to all of you!

Hey waitlisters! I just withdrew my seat today, so I hope it goes to someone who needs it. :) I'm feeling a little bit of anxiety over it, although I am sure I made the right decision for me!

Thanks to everyone for your posts! I called admissions yesterday and they said not to expect waitlist movement until July. JULY?!? Made me feel like giving up hope. Thanks to all for the fresh perspective:) I'll go back to enjoying my summer now!

July seems awfully far off. I wouldn't be surprised if people started hearing things 2 weeks from now. I think that's around the time last cycle started getting calls.

Members don't see this ad :)
July seems awfully far off. I wouldn't be surprised if people started hearing things 2 weeks from now. I think that's around the time last cycle started getting calls.

Yep, the first SDN-reported move from the waitlist last year was on 6/1.

Thanks to everyone for your posts! I called admissions yesterday and they said not to expect waitlist movement until July. JULY?!? Made me feel like giving up hope. Thanks to all for the fresh perspective:) I'll go back to enjoying my summer now!

I love lamp.

fellow waitlisted hopeful here. got my fingers crossed. i hope i hear from them soon so i can go on a nice vacation and enjoy my summer! :xf:

I love carpet.

Do you really love the lamp or are you just saying it because you saw it?

Oh, Baxter, you are my little gentleman. I'll take you to foggy London town 'cause you are my little gentleman.

Sorry, had to break my silence for Anchorman quotes.

Waitlisted here too since early last month... hate waiting. I actually said no to another school the day before I found out I was waitlisted at AZCOM (didn't like the school, and the deposit was due). I may regret that decision, but I'm really hoping not.

I had to chime in with one of my favs

"They've done studies you know, 60% of the time it works every time."

I had to chime in with one of my favs

"They've done studies you know, 60% of the time it works every time."

"Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good."

I'm glad to see everyone is in good spirits.

Last edited:
Hey guys, anybody fill out housing for azcom and see the apartments on campus? How are they? are you living off campus?

Just for notice, i'm accepted at azcom, but i'm on 4 waitlists right now. I like azcom, but because some of those are state schools I may have to withdraw due to financial reasons. hope this helps some of you. Otherwise I will be at azcom..

"Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good."

I glad to see everyone is in good spirits.

"999......1000... I dunno if you heard me but I just did a thousand. OOHHH its a deep burn, its soo deep. You see you got your Uvulous muscle, connects to the Upper Dorsimus. Its boring but its part of my life..."

You all sound like my kind of crowd. Can't wait to meet you guys and gals.

Hey guys, anybody fill out housing for azcom and see the apartments on campus? How are they? are you living off campus?

Just for notice, i'm accepted at azcom, but i'm on 4 waitlists right now. I like azcom, but because some of those are state schools I may have to withdraw due to financial reasons. hope this helps some of you. Otherwise I will be at azcom..

I lived on campus last year in a 2/1 and now I'm moving into a 1 bed studio this fall. It's pretty nice and convenient, but I still won't have a car for a few more months into 2nd year, so maybe that's my situation. I mostly bum rides and pay gas to manage.

There was a huge discussion a few pages back when housing opened up. Odds are it'll be a bit late to apply and get what you want, but I'd go for it. If not, there is San Lagos and San Prado literally across the street from campus. I think a few of the regulars here are living there too.

Also: Cannonball.

There was a huge discussion a few pages back when housing opened up. Odds are it'll be a bit late to apply and get what you want, but I'd go for it. If not, there is San Lagos and San Prado literally across the street from campus. I think a few of the regulars here are living there too.

Also, if you haven't checked it out, the 2014 Facebook group has had various discussions on the wall and on the discussion boards about housing around the area.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=167834788946

I called today regarding the waitlist, they said the deposit is due June 4th.

btw, is the waitlist really not ranked? last time i spoke to admissions, they said they look through all the waitlisted students' apps equally....with hundreds of people on the waitlist, this seems like a arduous task. i mean, they have to rank them somehow and it'd be nice to know what your rank is.

anyhow, this adds nothing to the discussion. i'm just babbling away my thoughts :scared:

btw, is the waitlist really not ranked? last time i spoke to admissions, they said they look through all the waitlisted students' apps equally....with hundreds of people on the waitlist, this seems like a arduous task. i mean, they have to rank them somehow and it'd be nice to know what your rank is.

anyhow, this adds nothing to the discussion. i'm just babbling away my thoughts :scared:

Based on last year's posts and speaking with some who seem to have an inside scoop......: They do rank students and a tier system, however, the dean has final say over who gets in or not, and in what order, so if the dean admits #12 before #8, they don't want #8 getting all but hurt and making a stink. Also, it gives them more flexiblity, they may need people towards the back of the list, however if those people knew they were in the back, they might make other plans.........

About a page or two back, I did a really long analysis of what to expect while we wait..... I'd check it out if you are eager for more info.

Best.......

"We need you. Hell, I need you. I'm a mess without you. I miss you so damn much. I miss being with you, I miss being near you. I miss your laugh. I miss your scent; I miss your musk. When this all gets sorted out, I think you and me should get an apartment together."

4th year here...just wanted to say good luck to everyone awaiting news from the admin staff. Hang in there.

Being on the waitlist is sort of like being in gridlock traffic. You just sit and wait for the people in front of you to move. No amount of frustration, freaking out or swearing will make them move faster. So we might as well fill our days with volleyball, our nights with music and patio drinks and our threads with Anchorman! Kuodos for the silly quips, Brick!

Being on the waitlist is sort of like being in gridlock traffic. You just sit and wait for the people in front of you to move. No amount of frustration, freaking out or swearing will make them move faster. So we might as well fill our days with volleyball, our nights with music and patio drinks and our threads with Anchorman! Kuodos for the silly quips, Brick!

Well said. I would like to extend to you an invitation to the pants party.

I know a lot of schools rank and do not tell students. They really have no reason to and it gives them a lot of free to act as they will. Like One800 said, they don't want those who ranked 'high' to assume anything when the Dean or whoever can decide otherwise.

But, good luck to everyone next week. I bet we'll be hearing a lot of good news soon.

I've only checked my online status half a dozen times today... I was surprised to find that on my seventh try I still wasn't accepted yet. :rolleyes: Compulsive, I know, but I doubt I'm the only one.

Like the others have mentioned, just wait until after this week when the deposits are due. You'll see the first wave of acceptances for the summer come next week most likely.

Thanks. I just let my impatience get the best of me. I was really hoping that they would start pulling people off today, as they did last year.

Hahah I know right? Oh well, worst case I have to get a full time job and I get to chill out for a year. :cool:

Hey what's up AZCOM 2014. I'm gonna sell some of my books, which are all essential in your first year of medical school. They are all in good condition and are much cheaper than Amazon or the school's bookstore. Email me at [email protected] or personal message me if you're interested. If you are living in socal CALIFORNIA, we can meet up and I'll also throw in my pep talk FOR FREE. :laugh:

28384_701648693294_6304047_38254616_4863440_n.jpg

ACCEPTED!!! (yes, off the waitlist)

For all you still waiting, keep your heads up! For those wondering, my stats were almost exactly average according to AZCOM's listings. So if I can do it, I'm sure many of you can and will in the near future!

Good luck all!

For all you still waiting, keep your heads up! For those wondering, my stats were almost exactly average according to AZCOM's listings. So if I can do it, I'm sure many of you can and will in the near future!

Good luck all!

Great to hear this! Congratulations!
Everybody else, just keep your chins up as it's only just begun. :)

Good luck all!

Hey Congrats!

Good to see some movement. Can't wait to meet everyone! Don't forget to join the facebook group!

Good luck all!

How did you find out? Did you get a phone call or check online? Congrats!

Good luck all!

Hey give us some advice...

How'd you hear back? Did you send in letter of intent and if so did you send multiple ones? Did you call? ahhh..so many questions...!:(

Well, I'll try to answer all the questions the best I can...

First off, I got a call from a guy with some role in the administration (I recognized the area code of the call and was immediately way too geeked to remember his name or position). I had checked the portal as recently as yesterday, with nothing showing up. However, there was a list of information under the accepted student's checklist thing that I found right after the call. I don't know if it showed up before the call or not, but it was good to see something pop up there nonetheless (thereby ensuring that the call was not a practical joke). So I guess I'm not sure if they call everybody, but they seem to be pretty quick with the portal updates once they make a decision.

I never wrote a letter of intent (I did send a letter of interest to another school really early on in the process, before knowing much about AZCOM). I called admissions several times, just asking general questions about waitlist movement and whatnot. Trying to think of what else... I sent the Dean a thank-you card after my interview, which is neither unusual nor significant, but it could have helped a little???

Really, that's about it. I tried very deliberately to impart vocally in both the interview and over the phone that AZCOM was the place I wanted to be, and that if accepted I'd be there in a heartbeat. I think that's an underrated part too; in the hustle and bustle of the app process, it's easy to think these schools are giant monsters with no compassion or loyalty. In reality, the schools need students, and they want to accept students that they know want to be there.

I'll answer anything else as well as I can if there are more questions