AZCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks man.... that really helps............. Some, like me, are probably spazing a little bit because our online portal has not changed nor have we gotten phone calls......
reminds me of when i got waitlisted.......:(

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted as well this morning. I just completed the Masters program at Midwestern so I may have had some bias in getting in, although my MCAT was average and I absolutely killed their masters program. A few other of my classmates also found out the good news this morning. Don't get discouraged, there is still lots of time.

I got a call also, and my web portal changed this morning. I also wrote a letter of intent and visited the office of admissions people at least every couple of weeks since I was right there on campus. Good luck to everyone else that is still waiting.

I like how the last post for DAYS was posted by someone call "The Closer". I can't speak for everyone, but I definitely curled up into ball in some dark corner after seeing acceptance posts and realizing I wasn't part of this first wave of WL movement. I just hope for those not pulled off the WL I can break silence.
Much thanks to Muskeeter and Closer for their posts. Musketeer gave us a lot of good info. I think for those of us not accepted we wanted to know when the online portal changed. Did they update it first thing in the morning or did they update it as they calle people? Based on Musketeer and Closer posts sounds like they updated it online first and then started making calls. Why would that matter to us? Well, I think at least for me, I wanted to know whether I should keep checking my my online status every 5 minutes or just realize that if it hasn't changed by lunch time, it is not going to change at all (or until the 2nd wave of acceptances starts in a couple days/week). Their posts helped those like me figure that out.

Based on last years posts, I think their are 1-3 waves of acceptances spaced out from 3-7 days. Basically, they pull lets say 20 off the list, give them 72 hours to put in deposits. 10 put down deposits, 10 withdraw. The admissions committee meets (72 hours later) picks the next 10 and send out acceptances, 72 hours later 5 accepted, 5 didn't, committee meets, sends out 5 more, and eventually it gets to a one by one basis.

Hope this helps everyone. If anyone has any additional info to add, please do, the more info for us the better. Maybe flushot could chime in, he had a lost of post on this year's and last year's (mind you I know he is IN med school and must be very busy :)) But if anyone called the admissions office the past couple days and heard anything. I called Monday and the person who answered was just covering the desk and didn't have a whole bunch of info. I am planning on calling again next week. Good luck all and congrats to those accepted!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for breaking the silence. I've been a long time lurker on this thread and Im in the same position as you One800Packaging! It SO totally feels like being put in the alternate list again! Hopefully, like your post says, we'll hear something in soon!

Just in case you all wanted to know, the deposit for me is due next Friday, the 18th. So, I assume everyone else accepted Monday has until next Friday to make up their minds.

Just in case you all wanted to know, the deposit for me is due next Friday, the 18th. So, I assume everyone else accepted Monday has until next Friday to make up their minds.

Thanks man. So it sounds like there will be a new wave on Monday the 21st (so we can stop checking our online portals every half hour on the hour until then:)). Based on the info there could new waves every other Monday, but based on last year and my own intuition, I assume each wave will be smaller than the next. Any info can be useful to us clingers er I mean waitlisters :D.

What I would LOVE to know is how many were pulled off the waitlist...... I don't think I will ever get that answer though.......sigh......

Monday the 21st? Holy beans Batman that's a long time........ compared to last year where I saw people getting calls a week after the first set of acceptances were sent out. But the first deposit deadline last year was May 22nd not June 4th. So maybe their extending it because......... uh oh now I am rambling again........

Last edited:
Things to do this summer while you wait...
Read a novel by the pool, watch the World Cup (and cheer for Spain), climb a mountain, play kegball in the park with your friends, BBQ with your family, go to concerts and not worry abouot what time you have to be up tomorrow, set a goal for yourself in case you're not in school this fall. Mine is the Courage Classic: a 100mile bike race across the Continental Divide...also a fundraiser for The Children's Hospital. (It would be good to have something to talk about if you have to answer the question next cycle, "What have you been up to over the last year since you applied?")
From a practical standpoint, it might be a good idea to take a look at your credit report in the likely even that you'll have to take out private loans to bankroll a last minute move to Phoenix. Also go through your stuff and get rid of junk so that you'll have fewer boxes to pack in the event of said move.
I know it's grueling but neurotically checking your portal/phone/email isn't going to speed things up. Try to remember that this may be your last summer of freedom for a while. And in the end, the world won't come screetching to a halt if you're not accepted this year. Best of luck with passing the long waitlist days:)

Things to do this summer while you wait...
Read a novel by the pool, watch the World Cup (and cheer for Spain), climb a mountain, play kegball in the park with your friends, BBQ with your family, go to concerts and not worry abouot what time you have to be up tomorrow, set a goal for yourself in case you're not in school this fall. Mine is the Courage Classic: a 100mile bike race across the Continental Divide...also a fundraiser for The Children's Hospital.
I know it's grueling but neurotically checking your portal/phone/email isn't going to speed things up. Try to remember that this may be your last summer of freedom for a while.

Maybe some of us don't have the luxury of drinking by the pool, going to concerts, or frolicking through meadows counting flower pedals while we wait... A lot of us are not able because we have grown up things to do, like multiple jobs, grad school and multiple jobs, grad school-multiple jobs-and wives/husbands/children and homes to take care of, all of which will be radically affected upon news of acceptance. This might create a lot of pressure. And while these responsibilities may preclude us from relieving pressure by getting wasted playing keg ball we may use other venues like... I don't know.... an online forum where we can quote anchorman with strangers or even commiserate about the uncertainty of waiting without being judged.....

Maybe I am speaking for a very small minority......Maybe instead of breaking the silence I entirely decimated it....... well apologies, I'll be silent for awhile until someone asks me something directly. Best of luck, however if you are without these responsibilities please drink one for me, better yet make that two, Cheers!

ATTITUDEby: Charles Swindoll. The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home.The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

Maybe some of us don't have the luxury of drinking by the pool, going to concerts, or frolicking through meadows counting flower pedals while we wait... A lot of us are not able because we have grown up things to do, like multiple jobs, grad school and multiple jobs, grad school-multiple jobs-and wives/husbands/children and homes to take care of, all of which will be radically affected upon news of acceptance. This might create a lot of pressure. And while these responsibilities may preclude us from relieving pressure by getting wasted playing keg ball we may use other venues like... I don't know.... an online forum where we can quote anchorman with strangers or even commiserate about the uncertainty of waiting without being judged.....

Maybe I am speaking for a very small minority......Maybe instead of breaking the silence I entirely decimated it....... well apologies, I'll be silent for awhile until someone asks me something directly. Best of luck, however if you are without these responsibilities please drink one for me, better yet make that two, Cheers!

LOL so agree with you on the jobs, family/wife, grad-school, etc responsibilities over summer...and the radical transformation of my life upon hearing from azcom, IF i hear back...but in the mix add in the stress of worrying whether or not i should re-take MCAT's and/or retake classes midst all the stress...

...an another note however, i will try to make some time for a few of the world cup games, just have to.

Persian, One800, dhot, and others who didn't get it in this time: this is just the first wave. I remember most of my SMP classmates on the waitlist got in during July. I'm sure you guys will hear something soon.

Anyhow, congrats to the recent acceptances. It might be hard for those not in yet, but try to enjoy the summer while it lasts.

I really feel like chiming in here, but you all seem to be saying exactly what I've been thinking, especially One800.

It would be nice to be positive, find time to have fun with school, wife/kids, work, volunteer positions. I'm dreading not getting in, and if I do (hooray), I'm dreading only having a month (or less) to move a family to Arizona, find somewhere to live, get settled, and get ready for school.

After being frustrated about the whole situation for the last few days, I feel much better. I suppose waiting another year wouldn't be the worst thing, but I would really prefer not to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really feel like chiming in here, but you all seem to be saying exactly what I've been thinking, especially One800.

It would be nice to be positive, find time to have fun with school, wife/kids, work, volunteer positions. I'm dreading not getting in, and if I do (hooray), I'm dreading only having a month (or less) to move a family to Arizona, find somewhere to live, get settled, and get ready for school.

After being frustrated about the whole situation for the last few days, I feel much better. I suppose waiting another year wouldn't be the worst thing, but I would really prefer not to.

I agree with you... About it all. Anyways i set myself into the mentality that IM not getting in and thus planned out an SMP I got into... At this point that's something tangible, I hope flushot is right though....:-/

It is difficult to make such huge changes in a month or even less in some cases, but like you said, I think it would better than waiting a year.

I wish I could understand but being a single guy, picking up what little I have and moving relatively far away in such short notice wasn't a big deal to me. Lots of students here have families so it must be difficult planning for 3rd and 4th year as well.

I wish you all the best of luck. If you feel like tempting fate, you could also call head to some apartments down here like San Lagos or San Prado. I don't know if there is a waitlist for this or if there is a refundable deposit but it's worth checking out.

It is difficult to make such huge changes in a month or even less in some cases, but like you said, I think it would better than waiting a year.

I wish I could understand but being a single guy, picking up what little I have and moving relatively far away in such short notice wasn't a big deal to me. Lots of students here have families so it must be difficult planning for 3rd and 4th year as well.

I wish you all the best of luck. If you feel like tempting fate, you could also call head to some apartments down here like San Lagos or San Prado. I don't know if there is a waitlist for this or if there is a refundable deposit but it's worth checking out.

Do you have any idea how the admission stats are this year? It seems like you know a lot about this school...=\

How many open seats, how many accepted so far, how many people they usually go through to fill how many spots...anything helps..

thanks for all your help and optimism flushot, i think youve done for me more than any counselor at the uc system

For those interested, I had some time to kill at work and actually read every post last year from the end of April through July. A lot people have very similar questions and the answers are out there, but they are just scattered. I am hoping to put the answers to the most common questions I and others have here in this one post.

It looked like no one heard didily until June 1st. Someone actually didn't hear anything until end of July. So IT DOES look like we will have to sit tight. I already live in Arizona and believe me there is no "enjoying" the summer here ;).

I looked at a lot of MD threads from last year and on a couple of them people kept a tally. For most MD med schools with a class size of 110-150 it looks like they went 40-60 deep for their wait lists. A lot of them had 4 spots open on the first day of classes, so we should all be prepared!!

I went to AZCOM class of 2014 facebook page, there were actually two, one had 177 members and the other had 37. That would put the total at 214 already accepted for about 250 seats, leaving 36 openings. A couple notes on this though:

-I imagine a lot of the 37 from the other page were also members of the main "177 member page", that being said I would put the real number of AZCOM 2014 facebook members at about 200, leaving 50 spots open (I'm considering member duplicates and people that don't even have a facebook account for this estimate).

-The sentiment I got from last year's post is that a decent number of the AZCOM facebook members received acceptances but still hadn't decided, and some actually withdrew but forgot to leave the facebook group.

That all being said, from last year's posts, this year's posts, and the facebook information I would gather a conservative estimate on the # of spots to be filled by the wait list would be 50. I personally feel it is more like 60-80 at least.

As far as how many people are on "the list"? It seems from last year's posts people were hearing numbers from 100-160. It's anyone's guess as we are hearing the same thing this year. I could easily see there being 160 as I could liberally estimate 100 spots opening up (mind you that is a very fluffy and liberal guess but still reasonable based on the numbers I am seeing).

What does this all mean? Most likely half of the list will get pulled off, and at the very most 2/3's and at the very least 1/3. The list isn't officially ranked, but from what I read it appears they do rank it, whether it be numbers or tiers, but because the Dean has final say and may choose student X at position 12 as opposed to student Y at position 4, they don't want student y getting all butt hurt, calling and making a stink.

If they only take 1 in 3 of us thats still better odds than I thought I had walking into that interview. Good luck everyone!!!!!!

I was so hopeful then, still am now :D but I am submitting my apps for next year today just in case, hope this helps Persian.... I posted this back in May after spending an hour reading last year's posts.....

Any incoming AZCOM students looking for a roommate? I'm a female and will be an M1 at UA-PHX in the fall and am looking to share a place with another student. PM me, if interested. Good luck to all those who are waiting to hear back. :)

Can a current student comment on attendance? I heard a lot say they don't go to class and study at home instead. How much does that affect your grades on an individual class's exam? Do professors put stuff on exams that they know people who don't attend may not get?

I found the 2013 block schedule for fall (here), are you really in class from 8am to 5pm daily? That seems like a lot of time wasted that you could spend studying.

I'll comment. Attendance runs all over the place depending on class. It tends to run higher for specific professors rather than subjects, so you can expect anywhere from 25% to 75%, but rarely do I see it above 75% or even close to 100%.

There is attendance taking for 2 classes and that might change, but even then, people still skip. As far as I know, if it's not your cup of tea and you do better studying solo, then go for it. Lots of people in our class do this.

I am glad AZCOM gives us the choice for the most part. Furthermore, they post the same powerpoint slides online so you won't miss anything but the experience itself.

I just called admission and they said they were going to be calling people today. Hopefully we hear some good news soon!

I just called admission and they said they were going to be calling people today. Hopefully we hear some good news soon!

Exciting, must not have entered them in the computer yet or they probably could have told you if you were admitted........ Good luck, great Update!!!!

Exciting, must not have entered them in the computer yet or they probably could have told you if you were admitted........ Good luck, great Update!!!!

Thats what I thought after phoning them... or they know I'm not one of the lucky people this time cuz they just said to keep my fingers crossed:(

Thats what I thought after phoning them... or they know I'm not one of the lucky people this time cuz they just said to keep my fingers crossed:(

If I wasn't worried about making a good impression I would have told them, "Well, gee, after all the work I and others have put in I'd like to hope that my acceptance is determined by humans with brains not my $#%# fingers and the **##& god of jinxes!" :laugh:

As the new threads for this upcoming application cycle have came up, my hopes in getting accepted off the alternate list are going down... :(

I know everybody on the wait-list is getting a bit bummed with the 2010-11 thread opening up, just remember they typically keep pulling people off the list until July, so there's still over a month's worth of hope. :thumbup:

Last edited:
No shame in posting in the new thread, which we should probably start doing. There is all of July to hear back, so hang tight.

I'd expect some to get calls over the next few days, deposits for the first set of waitlisters were due last Friday. Good Luck all.

Hello AZCOMers,

I'm a internal medicine resident in Phoenix and azcom grad. I have a very nice 2bd/2ba condo 1.5 miles from school on a private golf course with lake view, garage, and much more that I'll be renting out for $975/month (and a discount for students signing a 2+ year lease). Price is cheaper than the apartments right across from school (San Lagos, etc) and much more is included than you would find there. See craigslist ad for more details!

Congrats on your acceptance!!! Email with any questions.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/apa/1803534361.html

Mike
[email protected]

Hello AZCOMers,

I'm a internal medicine resident in Phoenix and azcom grad. I have a very nice 2bd/2ba condo 1.5 miles from school on a private golf course with lake view, garage, and much more that I'll be renting out for $975/month (and a discount for students signing a 2+ year lease). Price is cheaper than the apartments right across from school (San Lagos, etc) and much more is included than you would find there. See craigslist ad for more details!

Congrats on your acceptance!!! Email with any questions.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/apa/1803534361.html

Mike
[email protected]

Beautiful, now pray that I get off the wait-list and I would love to take that offer!

Hey everyone,

Got the call this morning, ACCEPTED!!! I will defintely be taking this over and declining my acceptance at Touro-CA!! SO excited!!

Hey everyone,

Got the call this morning, ACCEPTED!!! I will defintely be taking this over and declining my acceptance at Touro-CA!! SO excited!!

Congrats! Did you write an LOI or do anything else after you got waitlisted? Thanks!

Hey everyone,

What was your MCAT, thats what I wanna know...that'll give me a sense of whether they are ranking based on numbers...

I wrote a letter of intent, my stats were 3.32cGPA, 3.30sGPA, and 30R MCAT.

Good luck to those you waiting, it will happen!!

:soexcited:Accepted!!! Got the call this morning! WooHoo!!

I'll be moving in mid-late July and am interested to know if anyone else is looking for a roomate. I'll be in PHX July 2-5 for a visit. Please PM me if you need a roomie or know anyone looking. I would prefer to get a place at San Prado or San Lagos. Best of luck to everyone still waiting:luck:

not a lot of us seem to be moving of the alternate list. Considering there are aroung 150 of us this isn't looking too good. I am also waitlisted at Western which has a deferred acceptance list (not good) and medium-listed at TUCOM (was told this year they may take some mediums). As unwise as it is, I am not going to reapply just yet.

not a lot of us seem to be moving of the alternate list. Considering there are aroung 150 of us this isn't looking too good. I am also waitlisted at Western which has a deferred acceptance list (not good) and medium-listed at TUCOM (was told this year they may take some mediums). As unwise as it is, I am not going to reapply just yet.

Is there still 150 of us on the waitlist? If there are, im not really sure what the chances of us getting called is... I checked the AZCOM 2014 FB group and it seems like there are now 226 members so at the most there are only 24 spots left... probably less because maybe not everybody joins the group. I've been updating my application in the mean time just in case that call doesn't come though. Id hate to be on the alternate list again next year because of a late application.

Is there still 150 of us on the waitlist? If there are, im not really sure what the chances of us getting called is... I checked the AZCOM 2014 FB group and it seems like there are now 226 members so at the most there are only 24 spots left... probably less because maybe not everybody joins the group. I've been updating my application in the mean time just in case that call doesn't come though. Id hate to be on the alternate list again next year because of a late application.

That really isn't a good measure of the number of slots open because it's an open/public group and a number of the people on that group are current students or people who joined early in the 2009-10 cycle but are going elsewhere this fall. My point being, accounting for the number of people who aren't actually 2014 members and those that don't use Facebook (which for the typical applicant age range is a very small percentage I'm wagering) should still leave a decent number of spots (granted, not enough to move the entire wait-list).
I'm sure there will continue to be more movement in the coming weeks as there has been in the past couple of weeks, and I wish the best of luck to all of you.:thumbup:

Randomusername is right. Its not over yet. For the people accepted this week, deposits are due July 2. Since that's a holiday weekend, I'm guessing there'll be another round of acceptances sometime after July 6. I know its really late but there will be more alternates accepted. Best of luck to everyone:)

I wrote a letter of intent, my stats were 3.32cGPA, 3.30sGPA, and 30R MCAT.

Good luck to those you waiting, it will happen!!

Hey apevo8, when did you let touro-ca know you declined? I'm waitlisted at both the schools you got off the waitlist. Congrats. I hope I get lucky... until then preparing for next cycle.

Hey everyone, just wondering if there are any guys out there still looking for housing. We're looking for a fourth roommate, and have a few house/apartment prospects, but were hoping to fill one more spot. Go ahead and message me for any info/questions. Thanks all!

Does anyone know if they are still taking people off the waitlist?

Does anyone know if they are still taking people off the waitlist?

Probably, but I bet very few if not one at a time so I am sure this has caused news to slow down. I am hopeful in the back of my mind about it, like it would be a pleasant surprise, but if you haven't already, begin your apps, heck I am already filling out some secondaries.
Best of luck.

i called yesterday. she said that right now they are only taking people off the waitlist if someone drops their spot. the class is full.

so basically, getting accepted is a blind folded shot in the dark after being spun around in circles :(

i called yesterday. she said that right now they are only taking people off the waitlist if someone drops their spot. the class is full.

so basically, getting accepted is a blind folded shot in the dark after being spun around in circles :(

Thanks for the update gforce... That's what I've been suspecting/dreading. Oh well, it would be nice to get that call this year but for now, hello class of 2015 applications!