Being accepted: How will you celebrate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

forks4spoons

Followin' the dream. UTCVM c/o 2023!!!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hear about all of these Plan B's... but I'm curious what you'll do if you're accepted!


When I told a friend I had applied to vet school, he asked me how I'd celebrate when I got in. I mentioned a bounce house in jest, but holy cow, it sounds amazing!!!! So, I'm going for it! Nearly 30 years old and I'm going to rent a bounce house for me and my friends. 😉

I've decided to have a huge party on the farm complete with a bounce house (for adults AND kids) and pony rides (again, for both. hehe). But I'm going to wait till the end of spring semester so that my friends who will be graduating from DO school in May will be able to celebrate with me.

So, any big plans once you get the "Congratulations!" from your school???

ETA: I know this sounds a bit presumptuous, but I'd rather think about happy stuff than sad. 🙂
 
Last edited:
I have been thinking about this lately, as well... I think my celebration will just be a nice dinner and drinks! There is this great Brazilian steakhouse near me that would be the perfect setting for it, I cannot wait!!!!

I told myself freshman year that I would just cry of happiness for days after I got into vet school, but I guess it just doesn't feel real yet.

😍😍😍
 
If I actually get accepted, I'll probably start by breaking down in joyful tears. :laugh:

I originally told my mom that I didn't want a college graduation party, and would prefer an "Accepted to Vet School" party. With my graduation party coming up in a few weeks, I wish I'd been more insistent about that!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly? Probably cry first. But I'm a crier so that's not a big surprise. And once that is done, call my mom, post it to my facebook (to gloat to all my old high school friends, obviously), and then let the husband take me out to a fancy celebratory dinner 🙂
 
Chocolate. Lots of chocolate. And cake. And other food. Mostly lots of food. :laugh:

I'll probably spend an entire week saying "well, maybe I shouldn't have seconds/that cookie/an ice cream/go out for pizza instead of cooking, but I did just get in to vet school, so I deserve it."
 
Chocolate. Lots of chocolate. And cake. And other food. Mostly lots of food. :laugh:

I'll probably spend an entire week saying "well, maybe I shouldn't have seconds/that cookie/an ice cream/go out for pizza instead of cooking, but I did just get in to vet school, so I deserve it."

👍 EXACTLY what I did... and then I never stopped 😏
 
:laugh:

It just turns into... well I just finished that class, or I pulled my lazy ass out of bed and made it to lecture this morning, or I just passed that exam, or I just studied the 10 lectures I told myself I would.... 😉

It totally does...especially that whole getting out of bed bit to go to class. That's a huge accomplishment every day.

And I still have the bottle of champagne I meant to open for when I got in. Got it for my 21st bday but then I just got wait listed that cycle. Meant to drink it last year, but since I was living at home and none of my friends live in the area anymore, I just went out to dinner with my family. Then I was going to use it to celebrate my first anatomy exam but I had a 102 degree fever, so I didn't use it then either (still got drunk though...). Now, I think I'll drink on Wednesday to celebrate the end of my first semester.
 
I got a pretty strong hint a couple days before I got to my letter that it was going to be an acceptance, so I wasn't nearly as shocked and "OMG OMG OMG" as I would have been otherwise. I just called my mom to let her know, emailed my dad (in afghanistan) and went out for dinner with my roomie and bf. All in all rather anticlimactic.
 
Chocolate. Lots of chocolate. And cake. And other food. Mostly lots of food. :laugh:

I'll probably spend an entire week saying "well, maybe I shouldn't have seconds/that cookie/an ice cream/go out for pizza instead of cooking, but I did just get in to vet school, so I deserve it."

👍👍👍
 
I cried like a baby, ran screaming laps around my building and then drank 2 bottles of champagne. If I could do it again there would be more glitter.

😀
 
I cried like a baby, ran screaming laps around my building and then drank 2 bottles of champagne. If I could do it again there would be more glitter.

😀

I love it! And this is exactly how I was...I may have ruined some experiments that day due to all the shrieking!
I wish I had eaten more chocolate...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
:laugh:

It just turns into... well I just finished that class, or I pulled my lazy ass out of bed and made it to lecture this morning, or I just passed that exam, or I just studied the 10 lectures I told myself I would.... 😉

True story. Very true story.
 
Now I am thinking glitter. I think there will have to be glitter. If I get in, I am sure I will burst into tears and dance.

Then I am thinking maybe a friend and I will go to dinner, preferably somewhere with really good dessert.

I am sure there will be family stuff too.
 
Chocolate. Lots of chocolate. And cake. And other food. Mostly lots of food. :laugh:

I'll probably spend an entire week saying "well, maybe I shouldn't have seconds/that cookie/an ice cream/go out for pizza instead of cooking, but I did just get in to vet school, so I deserve it."

Totally my style <3
 
:eyebrow: From your other posts, I don't necessarily see you as a troll. For now. Let's keep it that way, shall we?

If you want to post something like that, I invite you to go to 'the lounge' aka Wolf's Den on January 1st. (you'll be eligible to enter the Den at that point)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the post guys, showed my friend the site and this is how he repaid me when i went to make us coffee lool -.-
 
We were having a huge annual Christmas party at my parents house when I got my first official offer. It was beyond exciting. The vet who'd been my hero and I'd worked for was there. There were tears of joy. It was excellent.

After my interview at NCSU that I just knew had gone wonderfully I went and spent too much money on cute underwear. I have a problem.

I also went out and got drunk a lot. I don't know if that was celebrating or being a senior in college and only taking 2 real classes....
 
I will withdraw all the money out of my bank account in dollar bills, throw it on my bed, roll it in, then promptly stuff it all into an envelop and send it to whichever veterinary school gives me a chance.

More than likely I will responsibly have a few drinks after work.
 
I will, in this order,

1) cry and shriek so much that my mom will think i am dying
2) post in all caps on facebook
3) drink a bottle of moscato
4) have lots of loud and crazy you know what with my boyfriend
 
There shall be an epic barcrawl in my honor! We will have different animal themes for each team. Examples may include: the Red Pandas, Grevy's Zebras, the Shar Peis, the Giant Anteaters...and so on and so forth.

I will buy myself at least $50 worth of nail polish and that Burberry watch I've been stalking for the past two months...we'll use a timepiece in vet school, right? 😉

And last but not least, I will immediately drop my five credit, intermediate inorganic chemistry class that I'm only taking for admittance into schools I don't really care about. HELLO SENIOR YEAR, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!
 
Glen Burgie is my absolute favorite scotch I bought a bottle of 35 year last fall hoping to get to open it last spring (I was teased with an OOS waitlist). Still waiting for the good news so I can sit down with my good friends and drink away half a months rent.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Glen Burgie is my absolute favorite scotch I bought a bottle of 35 year last fall hoping to get to open it last spring (I was teased with an OOS waitlist). Still waiting for the good news so I can sit down with my good friends and drink away half a months rent.

😱 :wow: :laugh:
 
Glen Burgie is my absolute favorite scotch I bought a bottle of 35 year last fall hoping to get to open it last spring (I was teased with an OOS waitlist). Still waiting for the good news so I can sit down with my good friends and drink away half a months rent.

👍 Years from now, if I get in, I am celebrating with a bottle(shared of course 😀) of Johnnie Walker Blue.
 
There shall be an epic barcrawl in my honor! We will have different animal themes for each team. Examples may include: the Red Pandas, Grevy's Zebras, the Shar Peis, the Giant Anteaters...and so on and so forth.

I will buy myself at least $50 worth of nail polish and that Burberry watch I've been stalking for the past two months...we'll use a timepiece in vet school, right? 😉

And last but not least, I will immediately drop my five credit, intermediate inorganic chemistry class that I'm only taking for admittance into schools I don't really care about. HELLO SENIOR YEAR, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!

Careful with that. Schools will require you to finish whatever schedule you gave them when you applied.
 
I was out to lunch with my friend when I found out. We both jumped out of our booth and jumped up and down screaming (my friend is a boy). All the waiters came over to find out what was going on....it's kind of my favorite restaurant at home so all the waiters know me.

Then, I called my dad since he was going to be at work before I got home.
Then called everyone else I could think of that would be excited - and got a lot of voicemails. It was frustrating. But I guess I shouldn't have expected much with it being 1pm on like a Thursday.

The real celebration was going out with my friends to my bar downtown to drink and sing and flirt with piano men
 
I got the email at work - my SA clinic. Read the whole thing then started crying and ran out of the break room to look for my vet. She read the email, cried, we hugged, then the whole clinic found out and it was amazing. I had to take a 20 min break to call all my family. Then I somehow gathered myself, finished the day, went to an ugly Christmas tie party where the announcement was made to everyone and I cried some more! Such an unreal day!!!!
 
I got the email at work - my SA clinic. Read the whole thing then started crying and ran out of the break room to look for my vet. She read the email, cried, we hugged, then the whole clinic found out and it was amazing. I had to take a 20 min break to call all my family. Then I somehow gathered myself, finished the day, went to an ugly Christmas tie party where the announcement was made to everyone and I cried some more! Such an unreal day!!!!

That is so awesome!!!! Congrats!!!! 😀
 
Mine was kinda like Kwheezy - I was in Dispatch and had a minor freak out. I had a nice dinner but no drink b/c I had to work again that night.

Called the parents. Told some people. Still have not told my cousins the vets who got me my first shadow. I am a bad bad person. 😳
 
The plane had just landed in another state for a different interview. I texted my research advisor and my veterinarian boss / letter writer who both called me and referred to me as "Dr.(mylastname)". I woke up today and remembered it was real. I'm excited to get home and really celebrate :laugh:
 
Funny story about mine. I was taking a nap when my mom called me and told me I had gotten in to TAMU (my mail was sent to my TX address and I was in IN for undergrad). I was so groggy and out of it I was like "I was sleeping mom, I'll talk to you later" and hung up! I was that out of it. I woke up like an hour later with a text from her saying that I had gotten in. I think I almost fell out of my lofted bed at that point, I was so happy. I know I cried for a while, then had to march on to practice. I think my coaches were more excited for me than anyone else! Anyways, I went out with my friends that night and drank way too much champagne and wine. One of the best nights ever.
 
Man, these are all great stories! I haven't cried yet, but I did get myself a gingerbread cookie milkshake from BK to celebrate (whoa! slow down killer!) I think the real party will come when I figure out how I am actually going to move and pay for it all! Then maybe it will all feel real. . .

Sent from my SPACESHIP using SDN Mobile
 
I was (and still am) really sick with the flu when I got my acceptance.

I haven't actually done anything to celebrate other than I've stopped worrying about what I'd do if I didn't get in this round, which is a great feeling in itself already 🙂

Good luck to those still waiting! Hang in there, there's still a ways to go!!!
 
I'm going to bump this topic up since I know we have had a lot of acceptances so far!!

This is what I did since mom called me while I was at work when my Mizzou letter came.
1. I cried like a baby for about 5 minutes
2. Came home, hugged, mom and both of us cried
3. Went out to olive garden and drank too much
4. Came home and passed out in bed
 
When I found out I got into Mizzou, my boyfriend made me hot chocolate and we may have slightly danced in the kitchen. 😳

My housemate has promised to make me a celebratory red velvet cake when I hear from (hopefully get into!) LSU, my last school I'm waiting on. It's my favorite flavor of cake and I never manage to make a good one, so I'm looking forward to it!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Awww you guys, these stories and plans make me happy! Mine are less fun than yours.

When I got the email for CSU, I was with a friend who had just gotten her rejection and CSU was her dream school. CSU is one of my backups. I was mostly relieved that I wouldn't be trying to get into vet school for another year, but I felt I couldn't celebrate with my friend so devastated! We did end up drinking some that night in "celebration" but I felt like we were just rubbing booze on the wounds until they felt better. I couldn't call or text my family either, since they were all at a graduation party for a cousin and I didn't want to steal thunder. By the time I told everyone the next day I felt mostly sad and weird, like I literally couldn't feel happiness because of all my friends who applied, only I got in.

When I got the call from Cornell, I was in the car driving to Mizzou for my interview. I was excited and texted EVERYONE, and they all said congrats, but they aren't vet people and didn't know how long a shot that school was for me. My friend who didn't get into CSU did know, however, and had a super-fancy cake made that said Congrats Cornell and took me out to dinner with other friends.

When I got the call for Ohio, I texted everyone again and got congrats. I was meaning to buy some clear nail polish (pretty much the only color I wear and my old bottle is almost gone) but it felt frivolous and I'm so broke, but I thought because I was accepted to Ohio maybe I should, to celebrate. I still haven't yet. My mister bought us takeout to celebrate, which was nice of him.

The letter from Mizzou went to my parents' house and they called to say congrats. I texted a few people but not anyone who the last text I'd sent was my acceptance to Ohio. Mizzou was a backup school and I already am super-lucky to have three great choices, and I was flattered to be accepted, but it's not super likely that I will choose to go there. I'm not sure though.

I guess I haven't felt incredibly insanely celebratory because I don't have one dream school. I have a few I'd love to go to for different reasons and the impossibility of the decision is weighing on me. The friend whose opinion I value most, the one who was rejected from CSU and got me the cake, I feel I can't talk to about my dilemma because it would be cruel - she was rejected from every school she applied to this year.

The best thing about all of this is my friends, the ones who are trying to get into professional school and know how grinding the process can be, and their support and happiness for me. But when no one else I know has gotten into anything, it is very hard to blow out the stops in celebration 🙁

One thing I AM feeling happy about is that once I finally do make my choice, I'll be making three people very very happy who are sitting on waitlists!
 
Pretty sure this varies by school - I know NC State didn't even have a legit spring schedule for me, and definitely didn't care (besides my two outstanding pre-reqs).

Good to know. I'll make sure I double check. Of the 18 hours I'm taking only one 3 credit class is a prerequisite, and it's Biochemistry 2 which is only needed for TAMU. Already finished everything I need for all my other schools. Pretty much already decided on not finishing my BS if I get in this first cycle, so definitely would like to drop a class or maybe two.

Getting past all this worry and celebrating with naps sounds good enough.
 
I called my parents and texted my sisters and a couple of my close friends. It just felt so good to know that I was actually going to be going somewhere in the fall.

I spent most of the rest of the day in a giddy daze (tried to do some physio homework, but I was too happy to concentrate) and then my family took me out to dinner at this great Italian restaurant near our house and then we opened a couple of bottles of Schramsberg (champagne) when we got home. My parents are kind of wine enthusiasts (that's my nice way of saying 'wine snobs'), so it was delicious. But not as good as the Cristal we opened for my college graduation 😉
 
The SO and I drove to the mailbox and he handed me the KSU envelope. My exact words were, "Aww, it's skinny," and proceeded to open the letter, I got accepted. I immediately started crying behind the wheel and proceeded to give him a big hug and a kiss. I called my father first and then my sister. Afterwards I posted it on my Facebook. I was even wearing my favorite purple scrubs when I opened the letter. Coincidence or...?

We didn't celebrate that evening but we went out for a steak dinner the following night. Several Ketel and tonics later and I was on top of the world!
 
i had gotten out of work (small animal specialty center) a little early (4:45) and saw that i had a missed called from a columbus area code. i called when i was in my car and after getting the good news i ran back into the building to hug and jump up and down with the onco techs who are super nice, and told the medical directer (osu grad) who was very excited for me. then i went out to the car and called EVERYONE!

then that night i ordered fatty chinese take out and drank a lot of very cheap champagne....