Being accepted: How will you celebrate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was at work.. In the middle of dust mopping at the end of the night I had this gut feeling that I needed to call my dad.. So I did and he was acting goofy on the phone so I bugged him until he caved and said we had gotten mail from Mizzou.. As he read the letter to me I jumped up and down smiling and laughing and hugging my coworkers. Then I went to dinner and had a couple Margaritas with my best friend from work 🙂

I haven't celebrated with my parents yet, but we have a bottle of champagne to open once everyone is off work on the same day.
 
my only witness to my acceptance call was my dog, which was unfortunate b/c i thought i was having an incredibly lucid dream and there were no human witnesses to verify that it was all real. but once i accepted it was real, it was pretty awesome being alone b/c i celebrated in the most embarrassing way possible by dancing like a dork and singing the black-eyed peas song "imma be" and adding "a vet!" at the end of every line in the chorus. my puppy was less than impressed.
 
Right now I decided to celebrate today's NCSU acceptance with a bottle of cheap champagne, some nice cheese, delicious olives, and Netflix. I'll get stuff done tomorrow. So yeah, alone, and definitely drinking a bottle of bubbly tonight. Party it up!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got the email at work - my SA clinic. Read the whole thing then started crying and ran out of the break room to look for my vet. She read the email, cried, we hugged, then the whole clinic found out and it was amazing. I had to take a 20 min break to call all my family. Then I somehow gathered myself, finished the day, went to an ugly Christmas tie party where the announcement was made to everyone and I cried some more! Such an unreal day!!!!

That made me all teary eyed. I cannot WAIT for my version of that day. Oh, and I'll probably just hyperventilate, and later maybe spend way too much money on a fancy dinner with friends and family, and a few specific people who have helped me along the way. (Well, multiple dinners, probably. We don't want to mix those groups!)
 
Just heard from LSU and took the guns out in the yard and shot them off! (Acceptable celebratory behavior in rural West Texas. =😳) When I graduate college in May, we'll have a big barbecue for my profs, vets I worked for, and my darlin' WIFE! 😍
 
Just heard from LSU and took the guns out in the yard and shot them off! (Acceptable celebratory behavior in rural West Texas. =😳) When I graduate college in May, we'll have a big barbecue for my profs, vets I worked for, and my darlin' WIFE! 😍

TX to LSU seems like a fairly lateral move as far as celebrations with guns are concerned! 😉 Congrats, NM!
 
When I found out, I ran out in to the hall and started screaming and jumping around and hugged one of my residents 🙂 (I'm a resident assistant at Purdue.) totally not planned but that's the best kind 🙂
 
I'm going to play in the snow and enjoy this snow day!! (we are projected to get 2+ feet of snow)

I don't think I'm going to be getting this kind of snow action in Davis, CA. :laugh:
 
After my acceptance call, I screamed maybe once and my cat glared at me. I tried calling my mom and she didn't pick up. I tried calling my dad and he didn't pick up. So I posted on facebook and SDN. I emailed my vet but she hasn't responded yet, though in her defense it is her weekend so she may or may not be checking her email. And that was pretty much it. Rather anticlimactic. However in the last 36 hours (with more to come tomorrow 😱) I have partaken in quite a bit of parent sponsored shopping and eating out. I really wish I could get accepted into vet school more often, because having my parents treat me to shopping trips and dinner at a restaurant where the tip alone was $50 is pretty much the best thing ever... next to getting into vet school, of course. 🙂
 
After my acceptance call, I screamed maybe once and my cat glared at me. I tried calling my mom and she didn't pick up. I tried calling my dad and he didn't pick up. So I posted on facebook and SDN. I emailed my vet but she hasn't responded yet, though in her defense it is her weekend so she may or may not be checking her email. And that was pretty much it. Rather anticlimactic. However in the last 36 hours (with more to come tomorrow 😱) I have partaken in quite a bit of parent sponsored shopping and eating out. I really wish I could get accepted into vet school more often, because having my parents treat me to shopping trips and dinner at a restaurant where the tip alone was $50 is pretty much the best thing ever... next to getting into vet school, of course. 🙂

My parents and best friend ALWAYS answer their phones... except the time I called to tell them I got in :eyeroll:
My mom and best friend were in a conference and my dad was in a meeting. REALLY?!?! :laugh:
 
I called my mom right after I got the call from Ohio State. I was at work and stepped outside for just a min to tell her. She immediately started bawling and screaming! Then I could hear my dad getting really excited too. I almost started crying out of joy but did my best to maintain composure since I'm pretty sure everyone was already staring at me haha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I celebrated after I got the call in the morning by giving all my animals second breakfastses! My cat was thrilled. I texted people the news (since most were at work) and my mom immediately called me afterwards, crying. Spent the whole day walking around with a stupid happy grin on my face. Went to Applebees with a coworker for celebration lunch and also went to Olive Garden that night, but it wasn't technically for celebration.

All in all, a good day.

I still get the stupid happy grin on my face whenever I remember I've been accepted.

😀 <-- there it is!
 
My parents and best friend ALWAYS answer their phones... except the time I called to tell them I got in :eyeroll:
My mom and best friend were in a conference and my dad was in a meeting. REALLY?!?! :laugh:

This happened to me too. I angrily gave up after a few attempts to contact people and just sent out texts and waited for the callbacks to come later. Minus the message I left on my parent's answering machine in which I may or may not have shouted into the phone without realizing or intending to :laugh:

Yeah, that keeps happening to me, too 😀

👍

Feelin stressed, just think about that moment and poof, feel much better.
 
I did a very lively dance/hop around my living room +/- squealing. Pretty sure my dog thought I was nuts. I told my dog that I was going to fix dogs like her (too late for her, chronic renal insufficiency sucks 🙁 ). At that point, she definitely thought I was nuts.

I called my parents and texted my BF since I knew he wouldn't be able to answer the phone. There was much fist-pumping involved. Ate some chocolate, went to work. 👍
 
I went to the liquor store and bought a bottle of champagne. Then I went to the farm to teach a riding lesson. Proceeded to drink said bottle of champagne with the horses afterwards
 
Apparently I celebrate by crying in parking lots
I cried on the phone with the Ohio State Dean.. Correction, I was hysterical haha Oh well, I guess it showed her I was happy to hear from her?

Then, today I cried in front of a client at the hospital who congratulated me on the Auburn acceptance....

Who cares if we cry, we're going to be vets!!!!
 
I think I probably sounded rather unexcited on my phone call compared to all you guys! I just said thank you a bunch and probably sounded rather stunned (because I was...)
 
I think I probably sounded rather unexcited on my phone call compared to all you guys! I just said thank you a bunch and probably sounded rather stunned (because I was...)

That's probably how I sounded on my phone calls. I'd probably freak out a lot more if my last school would call me since it's the last one I'm waiting on, but they don't clearly let you know when they've decided. ...*runs off to check status check system again*
 
Add me to the list of those who celebrate by bursting into tears. I think I traumatized my cats, and I have given up on calling people to give them the news because I just start sobbing ten seconds into the call.

Also I am drinking a beer. 👍
 
Bf's taking me out to dinner on Saturday to celebrate/talk about which school I should choose. 😍 My housemate also has plans to make me a red velvet cake, but we have to finish off the cupcakes I made this weekend first. 😀
 
As an additional celebration, I went out to eat yesterday, ate too much Mexican food and chips and salsa and margarita, almost threw up in the bathroom at the restaurant, then came home and laid miserably in my bed playing candy crush until my cat came over to lie on my head and I fell asleep. Whoo par-tay!

It was just so tasty I couldn't stop. Then I regretted that decision and almost ruined tacos a la brasa for myself forever.
 
Add me to the list of those who celebrate by bursting into tears. I think I traumatized my cats, and I have given up on calling people to give them the news because I just start sobbing ten seconds into the call.

Also I am drinking a beer. 👍

I'm sure this'll be me as well! 🙂
 
buy new suits....
2djt8cj.gif


YAY!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The packet got sent to my parents house, so my mom called to tell me the news. We were excited for a few minutes, we hung up, I worked the rest of the day...it wasn't that exciting for some reason. My boyfriend took me out to dinner, but everyone I know had a "I told you so" attitude about the whole thing, which is fine.

But when I got into the VRSP program at Mizzou yesterday I cried like a baby in the bathroom at work...and tried not to cry every other minute at the Miranda Lambert show last night...and then cried again this morning!

I think getting into vet school didn't seem real, plus I still have like 6 months until I move. Now the move date got pushed back 3 months and it's so incredibly real! GAH! Need to find a place to live!
 
I was lounging in bed, in my sweatpants, watching old episodes of Ugly Betty on Netflix and eating my last little bit of chocolate birthday cake . . . aka being a total bum! Happened to pick up my phone to check my email, and I saw the subject line "UPEI DVM Early Offer of Admission." I screamed, scared the crap out of my sleeping cat, and started crying while reading the full email. Not nearly as many tears as I would have expected, but still, there were tears. :laugh:

Immediately called my mom to tell her the news. She screamed, did a full minute of "Ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod!" and then after a few minutes of excited chatter we started talking about loans and moving to Canada and finding a place to live. How quickly reality sets in!

Called my aunt, who has been super supportive of me over the last few years, when she got out of work. She screamed so loud I had to pull the phone away from my ear! She assured me that she'd had a good feeling about PEI from the very start. Then she started crying, telling me how proud she is of me for going after what I want . . . she was even more emotional than I was!

After that, I was too hyped up and couldn't settle down and do anything, so I mostly spent the next few hours pacing my apartment. Repeatedly attempted to explain to my cat that we are going to move to Canada but it's okay because in a few years I'll be giving the best care possible to FIV-positive kitties like him. 😍 BF finally came over and I told him the news, then I emailed all of my LOR writers and thanked them again for their support, then once I'd FINALLY taken care of all the important people who deserved to hear the news first, I posted on FB and SDN for the world to see. 😀

My mom and my aunt were going to come up for a celebratory dinner this weekend, but thanks to the snowstorm they're coming next weekend instead. So I've been rather calm and unemotional about the whole thing ever since the initial acceptance. I think I'm still in shock and it hasn't entirely sunk in yet! I'm sure I'll be completely freaking out once July or August rolls around.
 
I'm still waiting on two more schools to get answers and I hope I'll be accepted to U of I personally. I'm waitlisted at two schools and rejected from two others so I'm going to be ecstatic if I'm outright accepted from U of I or Ok-State. I'll probably do a lot of crying, jumping around, and screaming. I might even drink though I rarely do! Congrats to everyone who already have answers!
 
Repeatedly attempted to explain to my cat that we are going to move to Canada but it's okay because in a few years I'll be giving the best care possible to FIV-positive kitties like him. 😍 😀

When I told my cat we were moving to Minnesota I don't think he was too happy about moving again. He's got about 15,000 miles of both car and air travel under his belt, and was not very appreciative last time we went on a road trip that lasted for more than a few hours (it was in fact 8 days, and he didn't pee for the first 2). And he really is not a fan of hotels. However, he perked up a bit when I pointed out that he would no longer have to live with the family dog. He hates the dog and intentionally antagonizes him, despite him being 3-4 times his size. My bird wasn't very excited about moving either. She's a homing pigeon, so unfortunately I fear it's going to cause some major confusion to her internal GPS. Not that it matters as she doesn't fly, but I still wonder if she gets thrown off by moving. The snake, however, was excited. Last time she was in a car she escaped from her travel cage and had lots of fun for a few days finding places to hide in my mom's rather hollow framed prius.
 
Got my letter after a long day of work so I wasn't sure if I was imagining it so I threw the packet of papers at my husband to read and the first thing he saw was something about tuberculosis testing, and we both got confused until I found the acceptance letter in the pile again. Called my parents and texted a girl at work and posted it on facebook. Sat on my butt for 8 hours the next day then went coyote hunting, ate mexican food, and had 2 margaritas. Going out with the hubs and some friends on Friday to really celebrate!
 
I got my first acceptance in the mail after a long 8 hour drive home from my Minnesota interview. When I got home at 11 PM at night, my letter from Kansas was sitting in my mailbox. I was so exhausted though! But then SUPPPER excited!

My second acceptance came yesterday from Illinois and I celebrated by baking chocolate chip cookies! and calling everyone / telling people in person 🙂

I need a more appropriate celebration at some point when I don't have a ton of schoolwork. My friends and I will probably go out or something since we should all hear from our last schools this week. My boyfriend and I will go out to dinner, and this summer a vacation to Seattle Washington 🙂
 
When I told my cat we were moving to Minnesota I don't think he was too happy about moving again. He's got about 15,000 miles of both car and air travel under his belt, and was not very appreciative last time we went on a road trip that lasted for more than a few hours (it was in fact 8 days, and he didn't pee for the first 2). And he really is not a fan of hotels. However, he perked up a bit when I pointed out that he would no longer have to live with the family dog. He hates the dog and intentionally antagonizes him, despite him being 3-4 times his size. My bird wasn't very excited about moving either. She's a homing pigeon, so unfortunately I fear it's going to cause some major confusion to her internal GPS. Not that it matters as she doesn't fly, but I still wonder if she gets thrown off by moving. The snake, however, was excited. Last time she was in a car she escaped from her travel cage and had lots of fun for a few days finding places to hide in my mom's rather hollow framed prius.

:laugh:
 
It makes me happy that so many of you are so excited about being accepted. Personally, I'll probably cry..first tears of frustration and sadness and then I'll eventually come around to being joyful about it. I am one of the black sheep on here that are probably going to Ross (not saying it's a terrible thing, just haven't found too many people in similar situations on this board) and I'm sure the initial "omg I have to move to a different country" will completely overwhelm me along with the recent NYTimes article and related issues still fresh in my mind. I'm sure I'll come to terms with things. Just sort of a bummer...I should be super excited like the rest of you yet I'm kind of dreading my future.
 
I got the email from Ohio while I was still at work, and I nearly fell out of my chair. My jaw dropped, and I started gasping. To celebrate, I went to atlantic city the following week and had a grand old time with people at a professional conference. Major nerd status.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Man. Thanks for bumping this. I really needed a reminder of how amazing it felt... I'm getting pummeled by life and whatnot this week 🙁
 
I was just posting about this topic in the thread for my school earlier today, so it's funny to see this pop up and see what I wrote last year and compare the two... surprisingly, my recollection of what I did upon hearing the news hasn't changed much... but felt so good to remember. Which is why everyone should post here! That way a year from now when you're coming off of a long day & 3 hours of sleep, you can remember happier times...
 
So, is it weird to not celebrate until hearing from all schools? I was really happy when I heard from Michigan... but then everyone I spoke with was asking me about my in-state school and the euphoria kind of faded quickly.. I'm hoping to celebrate once I decide where I'm officially going since I'm waitlisted at my in-state... Hoping to get more excited at some point.:sorry: