WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
13,924
4,004
36
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
Being the result of a poor inner city-ish upbringing (Philly) and being married to an equally poor Appalachian boy (me) has afforded my wife the joy of going to pharmacy school for free. The frickin' government has awarded her $23,000 (tuition for a year) under "Section 737 of the Public Health Service (PHS) Act." Like, for free. She doesn't need to pay it back.

For years I've had to deal with these damned rich kids in my class bragging about the new townhouse mommy and daddy bought them while I'm in a $7000 trailer home - having no debt while I'm $50000 in the red - and driving around in Daddy's old BMW M3 while I'm tuckering around in a car I got for $1500. Well guess what, rich kids. The gov't taxed your parents and is paying for my wife's education. HAHA.

Viva, socialism!
 

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
3,407
6
Dallas, TX
Status
WVUPharm2007 said:
Being the result of a poor inner city-ish upbringing (Philly) and being married to an equally poor Appalachian boy (me) has afforded my wife the joy of going to pharmacy school for free. The frickin' government has awarded her $23,000 (tuition for a year) under "Section 737 of the Public Health Service (PHS) Act." Like, for free. She doesn't need to pay it back.

For years I've had to deal with these damned rich kids in my class bragging about the new townhouse mommy and daddy bought them while I'm in a $7000 trailer home - having no debt while I'm $50000 in the red - and driving around in Daddy's old BMW M3 while I'm tuckering around in a car I got for $1500. Well guess what, rich kids. The gov't taxed your parents and is paying for my wife's education. HAHA.

Viva, socialism!
Ehh don't worry. Government will find a way to get that money back from you... dual income pharmacist household? kiss $70,000 per year goodbye..
 

MD2b20004

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2003
365
0
40
Visit site
Status
ZpackSux said:
Ehh don't worry. Government will find a way to get that money back from you... dual income pharmacist household? kiss $70,000 per year goodbye..
I agree the government is like the Military, it may seem free and cushy, but the pay back day will come in some way or another.
 
About the Ads
OP
WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
13,924
4,004
36
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
ZpackSux said:
Ehh don't worry. Government will find a way to get that money back from you... dual income pharmacist household? kiss $70,000 per year goodbye..
Not if I get paid under the table and send all of my earning to the Caymans.
 

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
3,616
5
Status
Medical Student
I agree it sucks not to be rich like that...but, I highly disagree with the government giving one person's money to another. I'm soon you will, too. Its always different when its "your money". Of course, you actually worked harder than those rich kids parents, right? :rolleyes: Just remember, 80% of US millionairres are self-made. They had to work their asses off.
 
OP
WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
13,924
4,004
36
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
I agree it sucks not to be rich like that...
You have no idea.

I highly disagree with the government giving one person's money to another.
Ok. I disagree with the fact that some people automatically get an advantage over me because they came out of a different vagina than me.

I'm soon you will, too. Its always different when its "your money".
That's what they say, but really, I'm too much of a hick to know how to spend it. I'll prolly buy me a nice truck, a house, $100 at Dave & Buster's a week, and standard bills. That's about it. Tax me, who gives a crap. It usually goes to useful stuff, anyway. Like guys with guns and postal service and letting poor kids go to college.

Of course, you actually worked harder than those rich kids parents, right?
Actually, when I was 18-19 I had to work 30-35 hours/week while taking 22 hours per semester at the community college to pay the mortgage because my parents were unemployed and I wanted a place to stay. Those aforementioned rich kids took those 35 hours to study more and have fun. I know many of them. Generally nice guys. Can't blame 'em. They just came out of a different vagina than me.

Just remember, 80% of US millionairres are self-made.
Fascinating. They taught themselves English & mathematics? Wow. SELFMADE. I can't believe society didn't help them one bit to achieve their goals! Usually whenever a person that has never encountered society before is found, they are basically animals. They certainly don't speak English. I'm very,very impressed with these "selfmade millionaires."

They had to work their asses off.
Ok. Good for them. They are still rich.

The cool thing about being neither a leftist or a rightist is that I can be an ideological chameleon.
 

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
3,407
6
Dallas, TX
Status
Styx put it best...

"you're fooling yourself angry young man..."

Cuz I see you as a potential self made millionaire in the near future.

C'mon.. self made millionaire means they didn't inherit the wealth...rather earned it. Don't get too technical with the definition..

:smuggrin:
 
OP
WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
13,924
4,004
36
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
Being a millionaire can't be too hard. Look at that moron Donald Trump. Get some seed money, start a few business, don't overspend. Hell, I'll probably be one. Not because I want to, but just because I'll be pissed that whatever town I wind up in doesn't have some business I want and I'll start up said business just for my own selfish reason. I swear to God I'm opening a PF Changs in Morgantown.....
 

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
3,407
6
Dallas, TX
Status
WVUPharm2007 said:
Being a millionaire can't be too hard. Look at that moron Donald Trump. Get some seed money, start a few business, don't overspend. Hell, I'll probably be one. Not because I want to, but just because I'll be pissed that whatever town I wind up in doesn't have some business I want and I'll start up said business just for my own selfish reason. I swear to God I'm opening a PF Changs in Morgantown.....
hmm...didn't know PFChang franchised...I thought they were all corporate owened.. and it would take at least 3 mil to open one of those.

Aren't you moving my way?
 

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
3,616
5
Status
Medical Student
WVUPharm2007 said:
You have no idea.
Yes I do. I've had to live in a rented bedroom with my mom and 3 brothers. Then there was the trailer park. Oh, and then the 2 bedroom apartment where my stepsister had one room, my mom and stepdad had the other, and the other five of us sprawled out all over the apartment whereever we could find a place to put a blanket. Of course, its not like that anymore. I've got a nice room, but constatnly worry it will be gone next month. Things aren't going so well at home b/c my parents dont make the best decisions. Hard workers, loving people, good parents...but bad decisions. Probably sounds familiar right? Just admit it..it feels better.

Ok. I disagree with the fact that some people automatically get an advantage over me because they came out of a different vagina than me.
Trust me, it pisses me off, too! I know tons of kids who have a HUGE jumpstart on life b/c of their parents money. But, they're ******s b/c their parents never made them take any kind of responsibility for themselves. Unlike their parents, these kids are likely to run any inhereted fortune they get into the ground.

That's what they say, but really, I'm too much of a hick to know how to spend it. I'll prolly buy me a nice truck, a house, $100 at Dave & Buster's a week, and standard bills. That's about it. Tax me, who gives a crap. It usually goes to useful stuff, anyway. Like guys with guns and postal service and letting poor kids go to college.
I'm with you here. Gimme a computer, lots of food, and some weights and I'm good to go.

Actually, when I was 18-19 I had to work 30-35 hours/week while taking 22 hours per semester at the community college to pay the mortgage because my parents were unemployed and I wanted a place to stay. Those aforementioned rich kids took those 35 hours to study more and have fun. I know many of them. Generally nice guys. Can't blame 'em. They just came out of a different vagina than me.
Many of us had to work. Sorry about your situation, and I can't say I've ever had monthly bills greater than $600-800, personally. So, I'm sure in that regard you suffered more stress than me.

And yeah...again, that pisses me off that many of them get to sit home and study all day and aren't expected to do anything but be a college student.

Fascinating. They taught themselves English & mathematics? Wow. SELFMADE. I can't believe society didn't help them one bit to achieve their goals! Usually whenever a person that has never encountered society before is found, they are basically animals. They certainly don't speak English. I'm very,very impressed with these "selfmade millionaires."
Okay, I'm glad you're having fun with the semantics here. You just had no reasonable retort, so I don't blame you :D

Ok. Good for them. They are still rich.
Yeah...lucky bastards, eh? But, I dont think that gives the gov't the right to play robin hood.
The cool thing about being neither a leftist or a rightist is that I can be an ideological chameleon.
The cool thing about me being a libertarian is that I can honestly say I'm for low taxes, prostitutes, legalized drugs (with controls of course), a free market economy, and am anti-government-playing-robin-hood :)
 
About the Ads
OP
WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
13,924
4,004
36
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
I COULD get into a discussion here, but I'm too lazy. I'm the only person on the face of the Earth that think a highly mixed economy is the only logical way to go. Those darned crazy free markers and the socialists that hate them! The only beef I have is that you think that rich people don't have society to thank for their riches. I wasn't being cute or using semantics. Everyone who has enjoyed the benefits of living and being brought up in a society has a debt to it. That's why I don't mind the idea of taxes or paying for poor kids to go to school.
 
OP
WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
13,924
4,004
36
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
ZpackSux said:
hmm...didn't know PFChang franchised...I thought they were all corporate owened..
Then I'll buy whatever company owns them. Stop destroying my dreams.

and it would take at least 3 mil to open one of those.
I'll have that. No. Probably not. I'll probably have put that much into those darned coin-drop games at D&B.

Aren't you moving my way?
I'll come back to Morgantown a few times a year. I want a PF Changs for me there. What? And, yes, I'm probably moving down there (by which I mean "South somewhere") unless somebody locally offers me $150k+ AND buys a giant heater the size of Morgantown that keeps the whole area at a constant 72 degrees AND gives me every WVU home football game off.
 

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
3,616
5
Status
Medical Student
WVUPharm2007 said:
I COULD get into a discussion here, but I'm too lazy. I'm the only person on the face of the Earth that think a highly mixed economy is the only logical way to go. Those darned crazy free markers and the socialists that hate them! The only beef I have is that you think that rich people don't have society to thank for their riches. I wasn't being cute or using semantics. Everyone who has enjoyed the benefits of living and being brought up in a society has a debt to it. That's why I don't mind the idea of taxes or paying for poor kids to go to school.
I'm not a die-hard fiscal-right-winger. There are some progressive programs I'm in favor of--with limitations.

Okay, say rich people do "owe society". They owe the ENTIRE POPULATION OF CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS OF SOCIETY, not just the poor. So, if we're going to be stealing money based off of your principal philosophy, we should be distributing it equally amongst CONTRIBUTING members of society because those are the people we owe. What does society owe to the leech other than a swift kick in the ass? You can't say we owe them because they buy our products and use our services if the people providing the products and services are paying for them!
 
OP
WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
13,924
4,004
36
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
I could go Marxist and say that they were just lucky to be born with their brain. And that society should be able to guarantee a guy with an IQ of 70 the neccessities of life if he contributes to society as a janitor. He's needed, too. He just came out of a different vagina (that's my sentence of the day.)

OR I could go authoritarian Stalinist and say that everyone should be given money based on their need.

Eh. Politics. I hate it so much.
 

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
3,616
5
Status
Medical Student
WVUPharm2007 said:
I could go Marxist and say that they were just lucky to be born with their brain. And that society should be able to guarantee a guy with an IQ of 70 the neccessities of life if he contributes to society as a janitor. He's needed, too. He just came out of a different vagina (that's my sentence of the day.)

OR I could go authoritarian Stalinist and say that everyone should be given money based on their need.

Eh. Politics. I hate it so much.
LOL...Now you just sound like Barbara Boxer :D
 
OP
WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
13,924
4,004
36
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
No, I assure you that woman is much dumber.
 

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
3,407
6
Dallas, TX
Status
Your opinion is invalid right now.

Let's wait till you're paying 6 figures in taxes...and you have a couple of kids.

Then let's hear what you have to say... until then, just go with the flow.
 

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
3,616
5
Status
Medical Student
WVUPharm2007 said:
No, I assure you that woman is much dumber.
I'll give you that for sure. She's a box of rocks.
 

pharmforme

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2005
153
0
MA
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
ZpackSux said:
Your opinion is invalid right now.

Let's wait till you're paying 6 figures in taxes...and you have a couple of kids.

Then let's hear what you have to say... until then, just go with the flow.
Well, having the kids is actually a benefit to your taxes...I'm reminded of that every year when everyone I know gets money back simply b/c they can reproduce...
no matter what you do or where ya come from, there is always unfairness. :rolleyes:
 

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
3,616
5
Status
Medical Student
pharmforme said:
Well, having the kids is actually a benefit to your taxes...I'm reminded of that every year when everyone I know gets money back simply b/c they can reproduce...
no matter what you do or where ya come from, there is always unfairness. :rolleyes:
Definitely unfair. E.G. Some people are PAID to reproduce versus others just getting less money taken. :rolleyes:
 
About the Ads

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
2,642
7
Woodinville, Washington
Status
Pharmacist
I'm not quite a rich kid, but I've never known poverty or working class. Our house was a 4 bedroom/3 bath on the intercoastal waterway near Madeira Beach in Florida. I didn't work, except during the summer for my dad where I helped out with data entry and some bookkeeping. My parents bought me the car of my choice (almost) when I was 16. I asked for a Jaguar XKE, but settled for a Mustang with the 302 V8.

My college was paid for, but my dad made too much money for me to get a scholarship. I quit school and moved to England for a couple of years. I was poor there.

When I got back from England, I had to work, so I joined my dad. We wrote software for NFL teams. I got to sit in suites for games and I've been to a few Super Bowls. In 1989, my dad left to work full time for the Miami Dolphins and my husband and I took over the company. I got burned out with computers and went back to school for pharmacy. He got another programming job. I only kept the Indianapolis Colts as a customer.

My husband makes six figures, we live in a 3,100 square foot home (just the two of us), our $100,000 swimming pool breaks ground next month. I should be able to pay that off in no time, once I am working. I get to write the interest off on my income tax, too. We have enough deductions that our taxable rates was only 7.5% last year. That won't last when I'm working. We'll go up to about 20% with our existing deductions.

Even though we have money, we are both democrats. We don't mind paying taxes and helping the poor. We're not lazy. My husband worked hard to get where he is at.

Just because we didn't struggle, doesn't mean that we are "******s". I won't run any inherited money into the ground. Only people who have never had money do that. They don't know what it's like and go crazy spending it. That's why NFL players hire financial advisers. They would blow those big salaries and end up with nothing after an injury.
 

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
3,407
6
Dallas, TX
Status
dgroulx said:
I'm not quite a rich kid, but I've never known poverty or working class. Our house was a 4 bedroom/3 bath on the intercoastal waterway near Madeira Beach in Florida. I didn't work, except during the summer for my dad where I helped out with data entry and some bookkeeping. My parents bought me the car of my choice (almost) when I was 16. I asked for a Jaguar XKE, but settled for a Mustang with the 302 V8.

My college was paid for, but my dad made too much money for me to get a scholarship. I quit school and moved to England for a couple of years. I was poor there.

When I got back from England, I had to work, so I joined my dad. We wrote software for NFL teams. I got to sit in suites for games and I've been to a few Super Bowls. In 1989, my dad left to work full time for the Miami Dolphins and my husband and I took over the company. I got burned out with computers and went back to school for pharmacy. He got another programming job. I only kept the Indianapolis Colts as a customer.

My husband makes six figures, we live in a 3,100 square foot home (just the two of us), our $100,000 swimming pool breaks ground next month. I should be able to pay that off in no time, once I am working. I get to write the interest off on my income tax, too. We have enough deductions that our taxable rates was only 7.5% last year. That won't last when I'm working. We'll go up to about 20% with our existing deductions.

Even though we have money, we are both democrats. We don't mind paying taxes and helping the poor. We're not lazy. My husband worked hard to get where he is at.

Just because we didn't struggle, doesn't mean that we are "******s". I won't run any inherited money into the ground. Only people who have never had money do that. They don't know what it's like and go crazy spending it. That's why NFL players hire financial advisers. They would blow those big salaries and end up with nothing after an injury.
Interesting Parallel.

I grew up very comfortable near a lake in New Orleans in a 4 bd 3 bath house.. but I worked ..even got fired from Popeye's chicken. I didn't ask for a car but my mom gave me her 1980 Oldsmobile Omega..when I went to college.. is there a worse car than that?

My parents paid for my college..everything.. but I paid for pharmacy school.

I didn't go to England but My dad was educated in England.. Merchant Marine Business at the University of London.

I got to sit in the Suite at the Superdome for Saints Home games every year..and watched Indianapolis Colts QB's dad Archie Manning march his Saints down the field...only to lose to the 49ers.

I'm in a 4300 sq ft house for 4 of us but my pool only costs $50,000. :smuggrin: But because I have 2 businesses on top of my job, my deductions aren't too bad and I don't mind paying taxes at all...I would love to pay 7 figures in taxes in near future. But I don't like helping the poor who won't help themselves.

I'm very comfortable now but I struggled through mid 20's to 30's working my ass off but that was my choice. My children will get their education paid for by me but you can bet that they'll going to work. My son better be out there mowing lawns to make extra cash.

I don't have any inheritance cuz both my parents are alive and well.... but I plan on taking care of them in my house when they are older. I have 2 older brothers ..one does well and the other doesn't. I'm sure my parent's wealth will go to the one that's not doing well...and I'm sure he'll blow it. But at least he'll have fun doing it... and that's all good. I'll end up taking care of him also. :)
 

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
3,407
6
Dallas, TX
Status
WVU.. and No.. being poor doesn't kick ass. Everything being equal, life is more fun with money than without. :thumbup:
 

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
2,642
7
Woodinville, Washington
Status
Pharmacist
ZpackSux said:
I don't have any inheritance cuz both my parents are alive and well.... but I plan on taking care of them in my house when they are older. I have 2 older brothers ..one does well and the other doesn't. I'm sure my parent's wealth will go to the one that's not doing well...and I'm sure he'll blow it. But at least he'll have fun doing it... and that's all good. I'll end up taking care of him also. :)
No inheritance here, either. My mom died in 1989 and my dad remarried. His new wife will get the majority of his estate. My older brother has done well for himself. He's a judge and his oldest daugher just graduated from UCF with a degree in marketing. She has a job offer out in OC. My aunt & uncle have a place in Newport Beach and she is welcome to stay with them. (We're originally from So Cal). My sister is a different story. She is a pet sitter and doesn't make great money. But, she loves VW's and going to the beach. It suits her lifestyle. She only gets paid under the table. I'll probably end up taking care of her someday.
 

prairie42

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
31
0
Status
Pharmacy Student
dgroulx said:
I'm not quite a rich kid, but I've never known poverty or working class. Our house was a 4 bedroom/3 bath on the intercoastal waterway near Madeira Beach in Florida. I didn't work, except during the summer for my dad where I helped out with data entry and some bookkeeping. My parents bought me the car of my choice (almost) when I was 16. I asked for a Jaguar XKE, but settled for a Mustang with the 302 V8.

My college was paid for, but my dad made too much money for me to get a scholarship. I quit school and moved to England for a couple of years. I was poor there.

When I got back from England, I had to work, so I joined my dad. We wrote software for NFL teams. I got to sit in suites for games and I've been to a few Super Bowls. In 1989, my dad left to work full time for the Miami Dolphins and my husband and I took over the company. I got burned out with computers and went back to school for pharmacy. He got another programming job. I only kept the Indianapolis Colts as a customer.

My husband makes six figures, we live in a 3,100 square foot home (just the two of us), our $100,000 swimming pool breaks ground next month. I should be able to pay that off in no time, once I am working. I get to write the interest off on my income tax, too. We have enough deductions that our taxable rates was only 7.5% last year. That won't last when I'm working. We'll go up to about 20% with our existing deductions.

Even though we have money, we are both democrats. We don't mind paying taxes and helping the poor. We're not lazy. My husband worked hard to get where he is at.

Just because we didn't struggle, doesn't mean that we are "******s". I won't run any inherited money into the ground. Only people who have never had money do that. They don't know what it's like and go crazy spending it. That's why NFL players hire financial advisers. They would blow those big salaries and end up with nothing after an injury.
I'm not sure what to think of your post. I'll elect to bite my tongue a little here and just say that no matter how much your pool costs, there will be someone that has a bigger and better one. No matter how much money you make, there are lots of people in this country that will make more, much more. No matter what kind of car daddy bought for you, some other kid no doubt had a better one. Motto: be happy with what you have and enjoy it, because none of us are getting out of this life alive.
 

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
2,642
7
Woodinville, Washington
Status
Pharmacist
prairie42 said:
I'm not sure what to think of your post. I'll elect to bite my tongue a little here and just say that no matter how much your pool costs, there will be someone that has a bigger and better one. No matter how much money you make, there are lots of people in this country that will make more, much more. No matter what kind of car daddy bought for you, some other kid no doubt had a better one. Motto: be happy with what you have and enjoy it, because none of us are getting out of this life alive.
Believe me, I do enjoy everything that I have. We have a limited income. $100k was our budget because that was what we could afford. A nice pool could have easily run $250k. I don't care if other people have more money than I do. I just want to live in the same lifestyle that I was raised. Everyone has their comfort zone. I could win Lotto tomorrow and my life would not change. I'd just work less hours.
 

museabuse

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2005
604
6
Status
Pharmacy Student
WVUPharm2007 said:
I'll come back to Morgantown a few times a year. I want a PF Changs for me there. .
PF Changs is nothing more than overpriced carry out chinese food that is brought to you by a waiter and probably cooked by a mexican. I prefer my hole in the wall chinese carry out place run by actual asians. I can get the same dish on the menu at PF Changs for 1/5 the price. No wonder your poor...

I dont think apathetic people become rich...

:smuggrin:
 
OP
WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
13,924
4,004
36
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
Those "hole-in-the-wall" places are an elaborate chain, too. They all get their food from the same suppliers. Ever notice why they all have the same food and same landscape-paper shaped menu? They get a "Chinese-food restaurant" kit from this company in New York. If you think the restraunts are all Chinese immigrants cooking up stuff from the old country, you're nuts. Chinese food as known in the US was invented in Brooklyn by an Asian immigrant and, because Americans didn't know better, they assumed that it was representative of Chinese cuisine. Real Chinese food is nasty.

PF Chang's is so much better. The sauce man...the sauce.
 

museabuse

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2005
604
6
Status
Pharmacy Student
WVUPharm2007 said:
If you think the restraunts are all Chinese immigrants cooking up stuff from the old country, you're nuts. Chinese food as known in the US was invented in Brooklyn by an Asian immigrant and, because Americans didn't know better, they assumed that it was representative of Chinese cuisine. Real Chinese food is nasty.
.
Real chinese food is nasty. They eat eye balls and brains and I think their noodles are still moving?!?!? I don't think I will visit China until they become a little more "americanized". Or maybe I will visit China for a month or so when I get fat... then I will come back skinny.
 
About the Ads

ForcedEntry

Lilo got stitched
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
1,616
3
Status
Pharmacy Student
Paraphrase: Rice mutated in NY to fool stupid Americans. Real Chinese rice is nasty.
 

kvl1027

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
619
62
39
Tampa, FL
Status
Pharmacist
WVUPharm2007 said:
Those "hole-in-the-wall" places are an elaborate chain, too. They all get their food from the same suppliers. Ever notice why they all have the same food and same landscape-paper shaped menu? They get a "Chinese-food restaurant" kit from this company in New York. If you think the restraunts are all Chinese immigrants cooking up stuff from the old country, you're nuts. Chinese food as known in the US was invented in Brooklyn by an Asian immigrant and, because Americans didn't know better, they assumed that it was representative of Chinese cuisine. Real Chinese food is nasty.

PF Chang's is so much better. The sauce man...the sauce.
I will admit that real Chinese food is Harsh, but P.F. Chang's is nasty. Too much Sauce if you ask me and its not that good, I'm asian I know...lol.

I can empathize with how you feel, I grew up in a not so good situation myself, I will spare everyone the boring details of my childhood. I personaly have worked since I can really remember (freshman in high school), just to pay for school trips and supplies and what not. I have never asked anyone for a hand-out and I never will. I live a somewhat comfortable life with my wife and son and I have worked very hard to get here. I am not rich by any stretch, but I start pharmacy school in the fall and hope that when I am finished I will have the income needed to give my wife and children the life they deserve. I am not looking to get "rich"; I just don't want my children to have to live like I did due to poor decisions made by myself, much like the poor decisions made by my parents.
I would hope that any parent wants their children to have an easier life than them. What you need to remember is that when your wife is finished with school and you are both bringing in a substantial income, your children will be those kids that have nice things, and hopefully you will be saving up so you can pay for their college. What educated person wouldn't want their children to have college paid for? Certainly your life lessons will allow you to pass on a sense of responsibility to your children that maybe a once spoiled millionaire would not pass on to their children. I plan on encouraging my children to work while in college, they are not going to get a completely free education from me regardless of what I am worth. They will not be driving a brand new car as their first car and I won't be paying there rent and living expenses if they decide to move out.
I know what you have gone through, the only thing you can do is raise your children in a way that they become people that can positively change society. Good Luck to you and I hope everything works out in your favor.
 

Caverject

15+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2003
7,725
29
museabuse said:
Real chinese food is nasty. They eat eye balls and brains and I think their noodles are still moving?!?!? I don't think I will visit China until they become a little more "americanized". Or maybe I will visit China for a month or so when I get fat... then I will come back skinny.
one reason why China couldn't get the olympics until just recently was because they dug holes in the ground and crapped in them instead of using toilets. This practice is still used in rual parts of china
 
OP
WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
13,924
4,004
36
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
I have hick taste buds, ok? Good BBQ ribs are my filet mignon. And, dammit, I like my PF Changs. I think the Olive Garden is nasty, though...
 

Serenity Now!!!

DOIN' the Damned thing!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
165
0
in the belly of the beast
Status
Pharmacy Student
WVUPharm2007 said:
I have hick taste buds, ok? Good BBQ ribs are my filet mignon. And, dammit, I like my PF Changs. I think the Olive Garden is nasty, though...
Okay NOW im confused... you like PF chang's crap but not Olive Garden's :confused: They seem to be on the same level if you asked me....Its like saying youre going to Taco Bell's for good Mexican food :laugh: Eh to each his own I guess....wht we call "chinese" food isnt authentic anyways (try looking for fortune cookies in a Hong Kong restaurant)
 
OP
WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
13,924
4,004
36
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
Serenity Now!!! said:
Okay NOW im confused... you like PF chang's crap but not Olive Garden's :confused: They seem to be on the same level if you asked me....Its like saying youre going to Taco Bell's for good Mexican food :laugh: Eh to each his own I guess....wht we call "chinese" food isnt authentic anyways (try looking for fortune cookies in a Hong Kong restaurant)

I'm mysterious and complex.
 

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
41,962
159
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
Caverject said:
one reason why China couldn't get the olympics until just recently was because they dug holes in the ground and crapped in them instead of using toilets. This practice is still used in rual parts of china
What does that have to do with anything? There are families with kids living in makeshift housing with no water or electricity in the US. In my area they are esp common/visible on the Olympic peninsula, in Ponders just N of Ft. Lewis, and in Tukwila just S of Seattle. I'd imagine many of them are forced to do something similar without plumbing. Plus, we have alot of homeless. It's not like we can claim to be superior as a society because a greater percentage of us poop in a porcelain basin.
 

Phantom_Eclipse

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 11, 2006
105
0
Texas
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Serenity Now!!! said:
Okay NOW im confused... you like PF chang's crap but not Olive Garden's :confused: They seem to be on the same level if you asked me....Its like saying youre going to Taco Bell's for good Mexican food :laugh: Eh to each his own I guess....wht we call "chinese" food isnt authentic anyways (try looking for fortune cookies in a Hong Kong restaurant)
Hey, Taco Bell IS good. I've been to a few Mexican restaurants, and honestly, I dont notice the superiority of this supposedly authentic food. I even like Taco Bell's food in comparison to some taquerias around here(I live in So. TX, so there are plenty).
 

RyanMaverick

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2006
150
0
34
British Columbia
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What does that have to do with anything? There are families with kids living in makeshift housing with no water or electricity in the US. In my area they are esp common/visible on the Olympic peninsula, in Ponders just N of Ft. Lewis, and in Tukwila just S of Seattle. I'd imagine many of them are forced to do something similar without plumbing. Plus, we have alot of homeless. It's not like we can claim to be superior as a society because a greater percentage of us poop in a porcelain basin.
You're right, the real distinction is whether you throw said poop or not. In that regard it's Monkeys 0 - Humans 1.
 

ForcedEntry

Lilo got stitched
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
1,616
3
Status
Pharmacy Student
Porcelain is overrated!

I have buried treasure in 17 states, 6 countries, and 2 oceans.


"I accept this award on behalf..."



monkeys 1 - humans 1
 
OP
WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
13,924
4,004
36
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
Look up the prefix -omni and there's a picture of me next to it.
 

twester

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2004
1,389
11
54
Denver, CO
Status
Pharmacist
Phantom_Eclipse said:
Hey, Taco Bell IS good. I've been to a few Mexican restaurants, and honestly, I dont notice the superiority of this supposedly authentic food. I even like Taco Bell's food in comparison to some taquerias around here(I live in So. TX, so there are plenty).
Oh, man! My bowels begin to move with the first bite of TB food. It's such a consistently bad experience that I've learned to not even drive by a Taco Bell.
 

Serenity Now!!!

DOIN' the Damned thing!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
165
0
in the belly of the beast
Status
Pharmacy Student
Caverject said:
one reason why China couldn't get the olympics until just recently was because they dug holes in the ground and crapped in them instead of using toilets. This practice is still used in rual parts of china
They still do that in Appalachia right now and weve had four Olympics (I think, 2 summer/ 2 winter). And im pretty sure with the millions o' homeless persons in the USA you'd find that in any 'big city' back alley too (Doin' it like Tyrone Biggums on the Dave Chappelle show) Im sure it had more with China's human rights abuses than having a billion chinese taking dumps in the rice paddies....although that does knda gross me out on 2nd thought :eek: Hey we dont import rice from them do we??? :D
 

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
2,642
7
Woodinville, Washington
Status
Pharmacist
twester said:
Oh, man! My bowels begin to move with the first bite of TB food. It's such a consistently bad experience that I've learned to not even drive by a Taco Bell.
I'm that way with Long John Silvers. Anything deep fried puts me in the bathroom within 10 minutes.
 

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
41,962
159
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
ZpackSux said:
I grew up very comfortable near a lake in New Orleans in a 4 bd 3 bath house.. but I worked ..even got fired from Popeye's chicken. I didn't ask for a car but my mom gave me her 1980 Oldsmobile Omega..when I went to college.. is there a worse car than that?
My first car was a 1979 El Camino.
 
About the Ads