This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJoe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping someone could help me understand what markers can be used to measure inflammation in patients that could be a sign of cardiovascular disease. I've read that neutrophil to leukocyte ratio and WBC count are used, but anyone elaborate on this for me? Say a patient goes to the doctor for an annual physical. Is looking at NLR or WBC count something a physician would do to determine risk for CVD?

Members don't see this ad.

Me trying to understand what youre talking about

upload_2015-10-8_19-26-17.png

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
sorry if i wasn't specific enough or if this doesn't make any sense. i'm working on my undergraduate thesis and it has to do with CVD. i'm looking at annual physicals and want to know what i could look at to clue me into CVD risk.

high C-reactive protein, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, cholesterol levels (low HDL:LDL ratio), and fibrinogen are all things to consider for CVD risk.

Reactions: 1 user
sorry if i wasn't specific enough or if this doesn't make any sense. i'm working on my undergraduate thesis and it has to do with CVD. i'm looking at annual physicals and want to know what i could look at to clue me into CVD risk.

Asking an internet forum for help on your thesis is less reliable than asking wikipedia.

:poke:

High CPK levels signify inflammation somewhere in the body. I don't think it's used to determine cardiovascular disease risk though. It's used mostly to test for a MI I believe.

I was hoping someone could help me understand what markers can be used to measure inflammation in patients that could be a sign of cardiovascular disease. I've read that neutrophil to leukocyte ratio and WBC count are used, but anyone elaborate on this for me? Say a patient goes to the doctor for an annual physical. Is looking at NLR or WBC count something a physician would do to determine risk for CVD?

Big risk factors for CVD are hypertension, hyperlipidemia, smoking, diabetes, family history, obesity, and stress. Systemic inflammation does seem to be associated with CVD. I've never heard of NLR or WBC having anything to do whatsoever with CVD. The only markers of inflammation we were taught as being a possible sign of CVD is C-reactive protein. However, while there does seem to be some association, I wouldn't put it huge stock in it. Blood pressure, LDL, and diabetic status are much more relevant.

Real world answer is that those markers aren't really specific but too sensitive in terms of diagnostic value which is why we start broadly with history and physical. Things like a family history and obvious co-morbidities such as diabetes, htn, esrd, etc will give you context on labs to order, how to interpret them, and suspicion on whether to be on the look out for cardiovascular disease.

If a healthy 18 year old with no family history of anything came in for a routine physical to play sports would you order those labs? And even if you did and they came back slightly elevated beyond the upper end of normal would you chase the rabbit and order Echos and a stress on him?

Google is your friend, and SDN is not for homework.

We get it, you're super interested in medicine. Take your poorly disguised "look how smart I am" topic elsewhere.

Closing. SDN is not for homework help. Part of the experience of doing a thesis is to learn how to find information like this in the literature and other reputable sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.