British/European medical degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luizkana

Reaction score
So, I'm a junior in a US undergrad and will be applying to US medical schools next year but I would also like to apply to British and/or other European medical schools. Do you guys know how would I proceed for now on as an American citizen? The information I found online were not clear/sufficient. I'm taking the MCATs in June/July 2019.

Also, would earning a British/other-than-US degree prevent me from receiving a US residency? Or would having completed a US undergrad school prevent me from receiving UK/European residency? I am open to just moving there for both med school and residency.

Members don't see this ad.

I have family in Europe. If I had to pick, I would prefer to move to England.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is difficult to score a US residency as a International Medical Graduate (IMG). Even if you are a US citizen, the fact that you did your MD (or equivalent) abroad will taint your application compared with US citizens who trained here or even, in some cirumstances, non-citizens who completed med school in the US.

If you want to practice in the US, attend school in the US.
If you want to live and work in the UK, see what hoops you'll need to jump through to make that happen. Also check into the educational system there; it might be a combined schooling of 6+ years rather than the 4+4 that is typical in the US.

Reactions: 1 user
In addition to the US preferencing US grads, I believe if you were to go to school in the UK they preference citizens in their residency match equivalent. ETA: Also remember a European residency does not transfer back to the US.