This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bootsandspooky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! It's going to be awhile before waitlists start moving and I am doubtful that any of those will work out for me, but fortunately I do like the options I have right now. I would really like to hear others' experiences with the below schools, perceived differences between them, and any additional pros/cons/anything to think about.

Personal Notes:
-I did not get any "bad vibes" at any of these schools. All seemed to have happy students so I'm not gonna list that as a pro every time.
-SO will be looking for medical device jobs in the area.
-I am neutral about the weather. If anything I am a little biased towards the colder places and SO is a little biased towards the warmer place.
-Coming from an area with a lower cost of living and more space (GA), we are both kind of freaked out about high cost of living and cramped spaces BUT willing to be reasonably persuaded.
-I am interested in the possibility of continuing biomedical engineering related research.
-I don't want to have a long driving commute. I am so tired of driving.

BU

Pros:
  • great job market for SO
  • pass/fail
  • I jell so hard with BU's mission
  • has an engineering department
  • received 10k/yr merit scholarship
  • some family nearby
  • I really like the city
Cons:
  • high cost of living and potential for being cramped
  • no on-campus couples housing
  • high cost of attendance (though slightly ameliorated by scholarship)
  • big class size (any thoughts on this? I know it's not that big of a deal but comparatively I like the idea of a smaller class)

Mount Sinai

Pros:
  • pass/fail
  • it seemed like the administration treats their students extremely well
  • I jell hard with their mission too
  • subsidized and nearby housing seems like it would be comparable in price to UC Irvine (maybe this is more of a neutral or a plus over BU)
  • some family nearby
  • I wouldn't have to have a car
  • cool neat new location
  • they seem to match to the best places out of these 3 options
Cons:
  • I was looking at their housing floor plans and it is super cramped. We are only eligible for a 1 bedroom apartment.
  • SO is nervous about city living+public transpo and wants to have car - how realistic is this for New York?
  • job market not as great for SO
  • no engineering department at Sinai

UC Irvine
Pros:
  • close to beautiful coast
  • smallest class size (again idk how much this matters)
  • I think I can get in-state tuition after my first year
  • pretty decent on-campus housing options - least worry about being cramped
  • could walk or bike to classes
Cons:
  • Medical center is so far away in Orange, I would have to have a car to get there. Many med students move closer to the med center for years 3 and 4 which ideally I would prefer not to do because moving is a pain.
  • Highways :(
  • Honors/Pass/Fail for second year - how much does this really matter?
  • I would be one of less than 10 out of state students, would this feel weird?
  • Moving here seems like it would be 10x as painful as moving somewhere on the East Coast

THANK YOU :) :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! It's going to be awhile before waitlists start moving and I am doubtful that any of those will work out for me, but fortunately I do like the options I have right now. I would really like to hear others' experiences with the below schools, perceived differences between them, and any additional pros/cons/anything to think about.

Personal Notes:
-I did not get any "bad vibes" at any of these schools. All seemed to have happy students so I'm not gonna list that as a pro every time.
-SO will be looking for medical device jobs in the area.
-I am neutral about the weather. If anything I am a little biased towards the colder places and SO is a little biased towards the warmer place.
-Coming from an area with a lower cost of living and more space (GA), we are both kind of freaked out about high cost of living and cramped spaces BUT willing to be reasonably persuaded.
-I am interested in the possibility of continuing biomedical engineering related research.
-I don't want to have a long driving commute. I am so tired of driving.

BU

Pros:
  • pass/fail
  • I jell so hard with BU's mission
  • received 10k/yr merit scholarship
  • some family nearby
  • I really like the city
Cons:
  • high cost of living and potential for being cramped
  • no on-campus couples housing
  • high cost of attendance (though slightly ameliorated by scholarship)
  • big class size (any thoughts on this? I know it's not that big of a deal but comparatively I like the idea of a smaller class)

Mount Sinai

Pros:
  • pass/fail
  • it seemed like the administration treats their students extremely well
  • I jell hard with their mission too
  • subsidized and nearby housing seems like it would be comparable in price to UC Irvine (maybe this is more of a neutral or a plus over BU)
  • some family nearby
  • I wouldn't have to have a car
  • cool neat new location
  • they seem to match to the best places out of these 3 options
Cons:
  • I was looking at their housing floor plans and it is super cramped. We are only eligible for a 1 bedroom apartment.
  • SO is nervous about city living+public transpo and wants to have car - how realistic is this for New York?
  • job market not as great for SO
  • no engineering department at Sinai

UC Irvine
Pros:
Cons:
  • Medical center is so far away in Orange, I would have to have a car to get there. Many med students move closer to the med center for years 3 and 4 which ideally I would prefer not to do because moving is a pain.
  • Moving here seems like it would be 10x as painful as moving somewhere on the East Coast

Irvine is a weird place. It will have tons of job market for your SO though. There’s really no point in living there without a car. It is spread out beige suburbia. It would be so hard to get around. They have some great food there... and it’s safe. But I imagine if you jive with BU then Irvine wouldn’t be the ideal spot for you because they are just the opposite. Irvine is boring but it probably doesn’t matter if you’re in medical school because you need to study. My vote would be Sinai. I was less excited about BU though after interview day (just my personal vibe from the place)

Also your SO should probably not have a car in the city...it sounds way more stressful to me to try to drive there than it does to just figure our public transit :)
Also I’m not on the waitlist for any of these places so I’m unbiased in that way.
Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for your input!

Definitely understand and agree about having a car in Irvine, haha. And yes, it is SO different from the other places. I'm having trouble determining if being in a boring place would be bad, good, or just neutral. If I were single I would choose Sinai in a heartbeat, but I really don't want my SO to be miserable for 4 years :( which is why I have Irvine under serious consideration (although Irvine feels like the "settling down" choice). I wish that the Sinai revisit hadn't been so early or we could have gone to it. Maybe we'll try to visit in April just to get some exposure at least. I told him the same thing about driving!! Was it something in particular about BU that made you less excited? Feel free to pm. And thanks again :)

I would choose between BU and Mt Sinai. Irvine is boring and far less prestigious than the other two.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your input!

Definitely understand and agree about having a car in Irvine, haha. And yes, it is SO different from the other places. I'm having trouble determining if being in a boring place would be bad, good, or just neutral. If I were single I would choose Sinai in a heartbeat, but I really don't want my SO to be miserable for 4 years :( which is why I have Irvine under serious consideration (although Irvine feels like the "settling down" choice). I wish that the Sinai revisit hadn't been so early or we could have gone to it. Maybe we'll try to visit in April just to get some exposure at least. I told him the same thing about driving!! Was it something in particular about BU that made you less excited? Feel free to pm. And thanks again :)

I'll pm you! Also I agree with the above poster. I would definitely say Irvine if you were a devoted CA resident who needed to live out all their days in the sunshine but otherwise not worth it.

Reactions: 1 users
My SO is a die hard Californian through and through. When I was applying to medical school he said "I will go with you, but I really hope that we don't end up in Irvine or Riverside". A friend of mine attended UCI Law and has nothing positive to say about Irvine.

Although considering your SO is important, at the end of the day this is your life and your choice. You seem to be leaning towards Mt. Sinai, and for good reason - awesome school in a great location.

Reactions: 3 users
Also deciding between BU and Sinai, although I'm leaning Sinai! Parking in NYC sounds absurd. It'll be another couple thousand bucks. Good luck!

I would choose between BU and Mt Sinai. Irvine is boring and far less prestigious than the other two.
This is how I'm starting to lean. Before I wasn't sure how much of a prestige difference there actually is, but it seems like a lot of people have mentioned it. About Irvine, can I ask if you are from CA/have lived there? I'd love details if you have them (feel free to pm), and I ask because my SO has expressed distaste for suburbia but is interested in the fact that Irvine is close to the coast, mountains, parks, etc. Thanks :)

I'll pm you! Also I agree with the above poster. I would definitely say Irvine if you were a devoted CA resident who needed to live out all their days in the sunshine but otherwise not worth it.
Thank you friend :)

My SO is a die hard Californian through and through. When I was applying to medical school he said "I will go with you, but I really hope that we don't end up in Irvine or Riverside". A friend of mine attended UCI Law and has nothing positive to say about Irvine.

Although considering your SO is important, at the end of the day this is your life and your choice. You seem to be leaning towards Mt. Sinai, and for good reason - awesome school in a great location.
Similar to what I asked the person 2 quotes up, if you are willing could you message me more details about Irvine? Thank you for your advice :) I really would like to choose NY if SO could handle it and find work, just don't want to make him miserable.

Also deciding between BU and Sinai, although I'm leaning Sinai! Parking in NYC sounds absurd. It'll be another couple thousand bucks. Good luck!
Yes, like where do people even park? I saw that Sinai couples housing has parking but it's competitive to get. Again, another reason why I want to get him to visit, maybe he'll warm up to public transportation :) Thank you and good luck with your choice (I would be leaning Sinai too, if I were you ;))

About Irvine, can I ask if you are from CA/have lived there? I'd love details if you have them (feel free to pm), and I ask because my SO has expressed distaste for suburbia but is interested in the fact that Irvine is close to the coast, mountains, parks, etc. Thanks :)
I am from California and have spent a lot of time in Orange County. Irvine is kind of boring, so I would suggest to live in Costa Mesa/Newport/Huntington Beach. However, rent will most likely be higher and you'll have to drive a bit further (Costa Mesa isn't too far). But you said that you are tired of driving, so this might not work.

UC Irvine
Pros:
Cons:

I'm a current medical student at UCI and can answer some of your questions:

-Medical Center in Orange: You won't be at the UCI Med Center very often during your first two years, aside from optional shadowing and a few clinical sessions here and there. A few students have opted to stay in Irvine/near UCI during their third and fourth years although the commute is not as ideal (~20 minutes). Some students pick a place near the 5 Freeway that's in the northern part of Irvine and stay there for all four years. On campus graduate housing is relatively cheap ($600-800 per person) compared to the off campus options near UCI and there are family apartments available through UCI on campus housing. About 1/4 of the class lives in Palo Verde (on campus graduate housing) and that's about 1.3 miles away from the medical school so many people bike/walk/carpool to class.

-H/P/F second year: I don't think having honors during second year increases the competition very noticeably. From what I've heard about the residency application process, residency programs look more closely at your Step 1 score and 3rd year clinical grades, and tend not to really care as much about grades during the 1st two years, relatively speaking. People still post their study guides on the facebook group during second year so the vibe hasn't changed significantly. At the end of the day, second year courses (ex. pathophysiology, pharmacology, etc.) are all about helping to prepare you for the Step 1 Exam so you'll naturally be expected to increase your studying time during second year (this would be true at any medical school and not just at UCI). Honors is a nice option for those who want it but it doesn't really change things otherwise.

-Few out of state students: After orientation when I met everyone, I have almost forgot who the out of state students are. I'm from CA so I'm not sure I have the best perspective on this, but I don't think it's too much of a factor.

-Small class size: I really like that we have a small class size. I feel that all the Deans and faculty get to know the students fairly well because of the small class size. I also feel that I have gotten to know all of my classmates pretty well because we interact so frequently through various small group activities for classes and through extracurriculars/organizations. It feels like a very supportive, family environment. We also have cool events like a school wide wellness retreat in Lake Arrowhead where the students and faculty all stay in cabins in Lake Arrowhead for a weekend.

-Irvine itself is not very exciting, but we're close enough to surrounding cities. For class hangouts, we usually go to Newport, Costa Mesa, Long Beach, or Huntington Beach, which are all 10-20 minutes away. LA is about an hour away and SD is 1.5 hours away. The beach is really close to campus so it's easy to organize a class hangout at the Corona Del Mar/Newport beaches. Irvine is very green and I've grown to appreciate the local hiking/outdoors options after being in an urban/city environment for college.

I didn't apply to any of these places so my knowledge is solely based on what I've been reading on SDN, and I've definitely heard GREAT things about Sinai. I think living space in Boston and NYC is relatively comparable in terms of being cramped, and from what I've been reading on this post I'd rather live a little cramped than live in Irvine. NYC has great public transportation and you wouldn't need to drive anywhere (and your SO shouldn't either that just sounds terrible). I'm sure your SO will be able to find a job in NYC, there are just so many options even if it won't be AS easy as BU. As for Sinai not having an engineering department, there are other med giants in the area that I'm sure you could get involved with even if you don't go to those schools (IE: NYU etc).

From your pros/cons between BU and Sinai, the Sinai ones seem more career oriented, you barely mentioned anything about BU's actual program. The fact that you felt that students are taken care of at Sinai is a huge plus, and their match list is amazing every year.

I'd definitely go Sinai if I were you! You'll be at a great program with opportunities to advance your career at every turn, you have family nearby and the school itself seems supportive, you like the area (and will have the opportunity to explore other parts of NYC as well), you won't have to drive, and I'm sure your SO will find a job and will be able to figure out the public transportation!

Good luck, I know it's a hard decision!

Public transit is amazing in NYC. I think your SO will adjust and come to like it. Having a car in NYC is an expensive nightmare. "Cheap" parking runs $250/month+ or you can play the street game where you shuffle your car around during street sweeping times and just accept that your bumpers will get absolutely destroyed.

I vote Sinai!

If your decision is narrowed down to Mount Sinai vs. BU, my vote would be for Mount Sinai. I really like their location within Manhattan and their subsidized student apartments are awesome! Though it will be relatively cramped compared to what you're probably used to, it'll be a huge discount from what you would normally pay to live in the Upper East Side. The apartment themselves are also very conveniently located just across the street from the medical school. I would recommend against having a car in NYC. It's expensive and you can definitely get by with their great public transportation system. Mount Sinai is not too far from the 6 line.

BU is going to probably be the most expensive of the 3 schools you listed. It's also got a huge class size in addition to some of the BU SMP students that will be taking some of the same classes as the medical students as well. Boston is a fun place to be, but the cost is probably the biggest deterrent.

Hi everyone, I want to thank you all for your help. I was decidedly set on Sinai as of last week, but I recently received a full-tuition scholarship from my state school (MCG) - I already checked and Sinai will not be giving me any merit aid (I didn't receive any need-based aid either). However, the better opportunities/prestige, better city/culture, and way more job opportunities for SO (I'm pretty sure we would have to be somewhat long-distance if I went to MCG) have me still leaning towards Sinai. But the scholarship is amazing and I do really like MCG as a school, and I know that a ~200k difference in loans is a big deal. I would love to hear from anyone because obviously I have very little time to make this decision!! Thanks

Congrats on the scholarship!

I actually interviewed at MCG and really enjoyed my day there and thought they had lots of great opportunities in terms of research/community involvement/etc. 200k is a huge difference but I think Sinai would be worth it if you're considering academic medicine at all and it would probably help you if you're considering competitive specialties/top residencies. I honestly don't remember much about the program at MCG in terms of pass/fail and step prep and match lists and all that stuff so maybe post a pro/con to help us all figure out where your thought process lies. I will say that if you're going to be miserable at MCG without your SO/because augusta is boring/whatever then I would consider not going there since that will end up impacting your education and cause you to burn out.

Thank you! I really enjoyed my day there too, my interviewers were amazing and I also know a lot of people there.

One thing to note is that I've never really done "city living before", mostly suburban. So I don't think I would be made miserable by Augusta, but I definitely think a city like NY would enrich my social life and experiences. I do like the idea of getting out of the state.

I am potentially interested in academic medicine though pretty burnt out from research right now, and I haven't even started school :p Not sure what I want to do or where I want to end up. In that regard it feels like Sinai will keep more doors open.

Here's the pro/con list :)

MCG
Pros:
  • full tuition scholarship (~120k)
  • nice facilities
  • nice people
  • low cost of living
  • possible internal MD/PhD /engineering at GT (an option I like having)
Cons:
  • no job market for SO, unless something on campus was available we would probably be separated by about 2 hours - I am a bit more independent so probably a bit less averse to this than the SO is but still it's not great
  • graded 2nd year
  • big class size
  • I am not sure how easy research opportunities will be strictly as an MD student? My interviewer talked to me about the possibility of getting funding to go elsewhere and do a year of research which sounded interesting though, and seems like it might be helped by being a Harrison scholar

Simply put, a $200k loan difference is too big to pass up, especially when, after interest, that $200k becomes closer to a $400k difference. Unless you truly hated MCG relative to Mt Sinai (which it sounds like you do not), I think it would be a mistake to not attend MCG. As a large public institution you will have plenty of opportunities to get involved in academic medicine and it is a solid school, so while Mt Sinai may offer you a lot of possibilities (particularly if you're hoping to stay in NY for residency), I think the gains are marginal as long as you do well. Full disclosure: I'm on the WL at Sinai but that doesn't affect my opinion in this matter.

Yeah based on your pros/cons I don't think you dislike MCG enough to take on an extra 200k in debt. When I interviewed there my interviewer had been involved in multiple research projects so I wouldn't worry about that!

Congrats! These are all great options. Do you mind if I ask you a question about the scholarship? I was wondering when and how you were notified.

One point I should mention is that while Sinai doesn't have an engineering department they certainly have bme research being done (especially strong in imaging if thats your thing) Also while in manhattan you'll be able to easily work with the other powerhourse medical schools/ bme companies that do have engineering programs