Calrity involving debt amongst other things

Started by Odd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Odd

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have recently become very interested in applying to veterinary school, but there are a few things which seem to be unclear. First of all, is it possible a Vet treats a mixture of animals? For example I am very interested in Reptiles (I'm planning on buying my first snake actually), yet at the same time love dealing with dogs and cats (I own a Yorkshire Terrier). Is it possible that I work with a mixture of these animals as well as horses and cattle?

Another thing I have questions on is regarding debt. I know that a Vet's career isn't as well payed as that of a Physician. Yet in the case of Physicians, it is possible they accumulate debt (up to 200,000 dollars) and are capable of offloading themselves due to the amount of money they make - would that be possible making $70,000 a year? Plus, Since I live in New Jersey, I'll probably live in the dorms (or maybe rent a place nearby), wouldn't that accumulate a huge amount of debt, one which most Vets can't pay off?
 
I have recently become very interested in applying to veterinary school, but there are a few things which seem to be unclear. First of all, is it possible a Vet treats a mixture of animals? For example I am very interested in Reptiles (I'm planning on buying my first snake actually), yet at the same time love dealing with dogs and cats (I own a Yorkshire Terrier). Is it possible that I work with a mixture of these animals as well as horses and cattle?

The vet I work for now treats everything from dogs and cats to horses, cattle, goats, sheep, chickens, turkeys, ducks, turtles, ferrets, guinea pigs, and more.
It's a matter of personal preference that she doesn't see snakes. No reason why you couldn't do it.

Most vets don't have an issue paying off their loans. Yeah, it takes a while, but most vets I know live quite comfortably while paying them off. I also know vets who make better money than some doctors. Research and public health vets tend to make more than clinical vets.

Sounds like you need to start shadowing or working with a vet before you decide it's the career for you. Most vets aren't in the field for the money, they do it because they love what they do.