Can I raise my GPA over the next few years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kitkatkike

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a "freshman" (I already have enough credit to become a sophomore after this semester), and am currently taking 16 credit hours. If I were to end this semester with a 3.25, what are my chances of getting a 3.6 or higher? I plan on taking the same amount of credit hours next semester, and I'll be damned if I don't get an A average during that semester.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. If you get a 4.0 the next three years, and you take the same number of credits in the next three years as you did in your freshman year, then you will end up with a 3.81. You need to get a 3.71666666... for the next three quarters to get exactly 3.60 cumulative.

I am wondering why you came here to ask this question. You should be able to easily figure that out on your own, especially as a premed student.

Yes. If you get a 4.0 the next three years, and you take the same number of credits in the next three years as you did in your freshman year, then you will end up with a 3.81. You need to get a 3.71666666... for the next three quarters to get exactly 3.60 cumulative.

I am wondering why you came here to ask this question. You should be able to easily figure that out on your own, especially as a premed student.

Ah, thank you. I've never been taught how to calculate what one would need in order to get a certain GPA; I've always used an online calculator.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ah, thank you. I've never been taught how to calculate what one would need in order to get a certain GPA; I've always used an online calculator.
I just calculated a simple average by assuming that the number of credits taken each year would be the same as freshman year. But if you want to calculate more accurately, and if you know the number of hours you will be taking in the future here is how you do it:

- Take your current GPA and multiply it by your credit hours. This will give you your current number of grade points.
- Take your predicted future GPA (what do you think you can get if you worked hard) and multiply it by your predicted number of credit hours. This will give you your future number of grade points.
- Add your current and future grade points together. This is your total number of grade points.
- Add your current and future credit hours. This is your total number of credit hours.
- Divide your total grade points by total credit hours. This will be your final GPA.

You can also do this for each individual class, if you want to know how just one class will affect your total GPA.

I didn't say it to come off as conceited. I thought that information would help towards my GPA calculation.

Sarcasm is hard to covey on the internet

Can you? Sure.
Will you? That's up to you.
Your grades aren't terrible but you still need to figure out why you aren't doing as well as you think you can. Often for freshmen it's lack of study skills/motivation or trouble adjusting to college life and classes. Figure out concrete ways you can improve as a student and follow through on them.

Can you? Sure.
Will you? That's up to you.
Your grades aren't terrible but you still need to figure out why you aren't doing as well as you think you can. Often for freshmen it's lack of study skills/motivation or trouble adjusting to college life and classes. Figure out concrete ways you can improve as a student and follow through on them.

I'm currently trying to feel out what I am and am not capable of. It's a bit of a transition, but I'm willing to put my all into trying to find out what works best for me.

I just calculated a simple average by assuming that the number of credits taken each year would be the same as freshman year. But if you want to calculate more accurately, and if you know the number of hours you will be taking in the future here is how you do it:

- Take your current GPA and multiply it by your credit hours. This will give you your current number of grade points.
- Take your predicted future GPA (what do you think you can get if you worked hard) and multiply it by your predicted number of credit hours. This will give you your future number of grade points.
- Add your current and future grade points together. This is your total number of grade points.
- Add your current and future credit hours. This is your total number of credit hours.
- Divide your total grade points by total credit hours. This will be your final GPA.

You can also do this for each individual class, if you want to know how just one class will affect your total GPA.

Thank you for your detailed information! I appreciate it.

Update: I believe that by the end of this semester, I will have a 3.5. Will that make it easier to pull up my grades? I still have a few "filler" classes I need to take next year that I see myself getting As in.

Update: I believe that by the end of this semester, I will have a 3.5. Will that make it easier to pull up my grades? I still have a few "filler" classes I need to take next year that I see myself getting As in.

I suggest you learn how to calculate a GPA. Yes, obviously, if you have a higher GPA this semester, it will be easier to pull it up than if you had gotten a 3.25.
Also, don't go around saying "I have enough credits that I'm technically a sophomore", it's kind of obnoxious. You're a freshman.

For your convenience:
A: 4 B: 3 C: 2 D: 1 F: 0
Convert each letter grade to points. Then multiply by the number of credits the class is worth. Add them all up, divide by the total number of credits you're taking.

To calculative cumulative
(Semester 1 GPA)(Semester 1 total credits)+(Semester 2 GPA)(Semester 2 total credits)+..... Then divide by the total number of credits you have taken thus far.

I wish you well, but I gotta be honest. I'm a little bit concerned that you don't understand the basic math behind calculating your gpa.

I wish you well, but I gotta be honest. I'm a little bit concerned that you don't understand the basic math behind calculating your gpa.

Echo Echo...

Weighted averages... :/