Can you withdraw your spot after the deposit?

Started by pianoslave
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pianoslave

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So UPenn just called me, letting me know I'm off the waitlist and accepted. But I'm no. 3 on OSU's waitlist, which is my top choice. However, they don't start going into the waitlist until after April 15th and UPenn wants me to tell them by Wednesday. Would it be possible to put down my deposit for Upenn, but then if I hear back from OSU, just let them keep my money and withdraw my spot?
 
So UPenn just called me, letting me know I'm off the waitlist and accepted. But I'm no. 3 on OSU's waitlist, which is my top choice. However, they don't start going into the waitlist until after April 15th and UPenn wants me to tell them by Wednesday. Would it be possible to put down my deposit for Upenn, but then if I hear back from OSU, just let them keep my money and withdraw my spot?

Yes, this happens a lot. Students put down a deposit at a school they were accepted and get called off the waitlist at their #1. They send in the deposit to their #1 and let the other school know that they will no longer be attending. Should work out just fine, the other school will just pull someone off their waitlist to fill your spot. You will lose your deposit at the first school, though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So UPenn just called me, letting me know I'm off the waitlist and accepted. But I'm no. 3 on OSU's waitlist, which is my top choice. However, they don't start going into the waitlist until after April 15th and UPenn wants me to tell them by Wednesday. Would it be possible to put down my deposit for Upenn, but then if I hear back from OSU, just let them keep my money and withdraw my spot?
Definitely. Plus you would be helping provide funding for us! Win win!