Car guys...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a 2004 Chevrolet Impala with a non- working stereo... but the rest works fine. I’m happy to have to no car payments and to instead aggressively pay off my oppressive student loans!

Bingo.

Save up, pay cash.

This discussion ties in very closely with the discussion of how many hours one would enjoy working, and with the discussion of whether one should tolerate AMC conditions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My parents old neighbor was an orthopedic surgeon in the 70s-90’s. He collected amazing classic Ferrari’s when they were “affordable”. He had at least 12 or 15. He kept 6 in his garage, more in a warehouse. I’m sure they’re worth many millions. Never new ones, only the classics, and always minty.
300k new, 300k old. The old ones look cool, but they don’t have 780hp.

--
Il Destriero
I hear you -- it's just that with tesla making sedans that do 0-100 kph in 2.8sec with an electric motor and all wheel drive it takes the shine off the image of a traditional supercar.

You, sir, have excellent taste.

Don't underestimate the power of the twin turbo V8 though. The M5 recently switched from a V10 to a twin turbo V8 and that thing will still peel your face off... But you just don't get as nice of a sound anymore.
V10s just generally don't sound great. The harmonics just aren't as good as a V8 and for engineering reasons they just can't be. I'm a V8 N/A guy myself, and I loathe turbo lag, so if I have to go with forced induction I prefer supercharged options that give a more consistent powerband.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone talks about HP.
I prefer Torque. 910 ft/lb of it. ;)

sxnXCqB.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
V10s just generally don't sound great. The harmonics just aren't as good as a V8 and for engineering reasons they just can't be. I'm a V8 N/A guy myself, and I loathe turbo lag, so if I have to go with forced induction I prefer supercharged options that give a more consistent powerband.

Lexus LFA is the ONLY v10 with a beautiful sound that was specifically tuned by Yamaha.

Sadly...

they are unattainable :(

A4991F29-1654-4CB3-94BE-588575E6EAF4.jpeg
Yes they are getting popular :rage:
But for good reason.
Never thought I’d be happy to pay sticker for a truck when I first started looking. But resell on them is crazy—I could probably sell it in 5 years and only lose about 15-20k from what I paid if the resell market stays similar.
I was concerned about the lack of towing but realized I don’t have anything that would really test it anyways. I’ll get a super duty if I ever get something big to tow
Noy, agree about the V6. Apparently they’re coming out with a turbo diesel and a Huge V8 next year but I bet those would add a hefty up charge to an already pricy truck

Reactions: 2 users
WHAAAT? since when???

That's a bummer.

FWIW I know somebody who actually did his own suspension work and installed the same Fox springs that are on the raptor to his tundra.

Idk about all the calibration as I'm sure that the engineers at Ford got that all worked out to a tee but having been in it... it's simply amazing and makes you question throwing 70K-80K to a Ford when you can get a Tundra for less than half and the supercharger and mod work will be another 10-15K (depending on supplies... labor... etc.)

But that warranty issue is where I can see the raptor coming in handyyy...

But THEN agaiiinn...

I mean it IS a toyota.

Warranty is a curse word in the Toyota dictionary. lolz
Boom. Say no more.

View attachment 233259
Noy, agree about the V6. Apparently they’re coming out with a turbo diesel and a Huge V8 next year but I bet those would add a hefty up charge to an already pricy truck
That’s a sweet truck.
But I wouldn’t hold my breath on either option, the diesel or the V8. No American manufacturer is putting anything of any significance in their vehicles unless they are strictly performance vehicles. Something like a corvette, Camero or mustang. And if you want a performance vehicle, you aren’t looking at these manufacturers unless you look at a vette. The restrictions are too restrictive for our American companies and all there employment issues, etc. But whether you like him or not, Trump may change this (this is neither an endorsement or criticism). for the Raptor then I’m all over that puppy.

It's a regional thing. Most Europeans will prefer the high-pitched steady rumble of the V10 while Americans like the small block V8. For my money, you can't beat the Gallardo, LFA and Carrera GT when ti comes to sound.

I don't care for turbos either. They're a necessary evil and byproduct of the eco movement. Expect to see more before we see less.

I'll leave this here. Take a moment and culture yourself :cigar: LFA at 1:43

View attachment 233259 Yes they are getting popular :rage:
But for good reason.
Never thought I’d be happy to pay sticker for a truck when I first started looking. But resell on them is crazy—I could probably sell it in 5 years and only lose about 15-20k from what I paid if the resell market stays similar.
I was concerned about the lack of towing but realized I don’t have anything that would really test it anyways. I’ll get a super duty if I ever get something big to tow

I dig the lead foot grey. The numbers on the F150 diesel are very meh. Haven’t heard about a big V8, but I’m interested. You can squeeze a lotta juice from the Coyote 5.0, and there’s a ton of aftermarket support for it since it’s also in the Mustang.

There’s more talk about RAM actually making the Rebel TRX with either a 520hp 7.0L HEMI or the Hellcat motor at 707HP :wideyed: :horns::horns::horns:

Im not really a ford guy, but the sound that comes from the GT350R's flatplane crank V8 is absolutely sick

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a regional thing. Most Europeans will prefer the high-pitched steady rumble of the V10 while Americans like the small block V8. For my money, you can't beat the Gallardo, LFA and Carrera GT when ti comes to sound.

I don't care for turbos either. They're a necessary evil and byproduct of the eco movement. Expect to see more before we see less.

I'll leave this here. Take a moment and culture yourself :cigar: LFA at 1:43

It still sounds like a V10 though, it's a higher pitch and has less growl care of the 250/500Hz harmonic frequencies that were ever so carefully crafted. I like a loud, brutish V8 myself

Man I like the sound of that LFA. Almost motorcycle sound.

Reactions: 1 users
What’s that side step for?:poke:

Agree. If you must have running boards for the little lady then get the power retractable ones.

I’d go for some more sidewall on the wheel/tire package too so you don’t look like one of the Ruff Ryders.

Killer truck though.

Finishing up my CA2 year and have been driving my toyota camry for 12 years now and am really considering buying the new 2019 Audi A6 when I have a contract in hand. May not be the "best" financial decision but I realize that I get so much joy out of cruising the back roads of the country south as a means of leisure and stress relief that I think it just might be worth it. Also an A6 would probably work well as a family sedan too, no?

Audi owners -have you been satisfied with your experience, how bad is the cost of maintenance for an Audi?

I am an Audi loyalist, I’ve had no issues at all with them over the years other than extremely minor things. It will be under warranty for a while, how long are you planning to keep it?
Maintenance cost: I just replaced the tires on my S8, that was painful. Low profiles are always pricy. I bent a rim on a pothole once, I remember that being fairly expensive too. If the engine ever needs work, I don’t even want to see that bill. So yeah, I think this particular model is costlier to maintain.
As far as a family sedan, that depends on how much room you like in the back. I had an A8L for a while, and I loved that car for teenagers who needed more leg room. My S8 is pretty roomy too. If you have kids in car seats, you might want to look at the A8 or A8L.
One of my partners drives an A7, that is also a really nice vehicle.

Finishing up my CA2 year and have been driving my toyota camry for 12 years now and am really considering buying the new 2019 Audi A6 when I have a contract in hand. May not be the "best" financial decision but I realize that I get so much joy out of cruising the back roads of the country south as a means of leisure and stress relief that I think it just might be worth it. Also an A6 would probably work well as a family sedan too, no?

Audi owners -have you been satisfied with your experience, how bad is the cost of maintenance for an Audi?

I had an Audi. I had no maintenance costs but the depreciation was awful. You can either ignore that issue, keep it forever, or buy a 3-4 year old A6 (or S6!). Think about it :woot:

Reactions: 1 users
I had an Audi. I had no maintenance costs but the depreciation was awful. You can either ignore that issue, keep it forever, or buy a 3-4 year old A6 (or S6!). Think about it :woot:

I agree with this 100%

dude, is that the truck now? Nice!

Not yet. But this is my favorite build so far. Grill changes are easy. Will keep the Trailer mirrors though. Not sure about the tires, but these definitely look nicer than my current set up.

What’s that side step for?:poke:

You've met my wife... and I'm 5'8" on a good day. Haha... I think the Denali package come standard with retractable sidesteps now.

Taking it on a Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Utah travel trailer trip in a couple of weeks. Wife, Canine and bikes are all coming along. First 2.5 week vaca in a loooong time.

View attachment 233293
I like vehicles with a touch more torque than hp. My Challenger is a pleasant daily driver with 372/410.

That's the F-pace S. Going to get the tune and pulley on it. 456 HP and 412 Torque. 0-60 4.3 seconds. It's fast as faaak as it is and my wife has a heavy foot- this vehicle has turned her into a speed demon.

I'm more of a chill driver though... just like to cruise with some good tunes.

Badass truck! Parking that thing must suck ass though.

I was initially concerned as well, but I've been honing in my skills. For the most part, I part at the back of the parking lots.

May seem a bit silly, but part of the reason for the purchase is that our buddy can have lots of room with no backseat hardware on the floor like the other big trucks.

Fj2A1QM.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Coulda done this one and skipped the travel trailer:

Ford SuperDuty Baja Overlander

That's a sweet truck but my wife would have raised a disapproving eyebrow before i even bought it up --> :nono:

We went to BM last year and lets just say it gets hot on the black rock desert.
AC and indoor shower and a place to escape the elements was key.

That's a sweet truck but my wife would have raised a disapproving eyebrow before i even bought it up --> :nono:

We went to BM last year and lets just say it gets hot on the black rock desert.
AC and indoor shower and a place to escape the elements was key.

What are you rockin' for the trailer?

PS. The truck looks great with the shell on it.

What are you rockin' for the trailer?

PS. The truck looks great with the shell on it.

Thanks Salty. Conflicted on it once I consider motos. Somehow, @Noyac takes his on and off depending on the season.
I don't know how that happens or where he stores it ?!? I do have a hitch for the motos, so not a huge deal if heading out alone. Outside of that it has a bed rug in it which I love.

Travel Trailer was 100% my wifes choice... it's how I got her to go adventuring with me. :laugh: GD 2150RB

2019 Imagine 2150RB

Thanks Salty. Conflicted on it once I consider motos. Somehow, @Noyac takes his on and off depending on the season.
I don't know how that happens or where he stores it ?!? I do have a hitch for the motos, so not a huge deal if heading out alone. Outside of that it has a bed rug in it which I love.

Travel Trailer was 100% my wifes choice... it's how I got her to go adventuring with me. :laugh: GD 2150RB

2019 Imagine 2150RB

Nice trailer. I was kinda hoping you were gonna say Airstream though. I dig the Bedrugs too. Shell + Bedrug is how I will set up my next truck - toss boards in there without ding worries.

For easy shell removal I've seen guys rig up a rope/pulley system from the ceiling in the garage. Back truck into garage, unbolt shell, slide a couple 2x4's under shell (1 at front and 1 at back perpendicular to truck), attach the ends of the 2x4 to the ropes hanging from the ceiling and simply hoist it up off the truck, drive out.

I am an Audi loyalist, I’ve had no issues at all with them over the years other than extremely minor things. It will be under warranty for a while, how long are you planning to keep it?
Maintenance cost: I just replaced the tires on my S8, that was painful. Low profiles are always pricy. I bent a rim on a pothole once, I remember that being fairly expensive too. If the engine ever needs work, I don’t even want to see that bill. So yeah, I think this particular model is costlier to maintain.
As far as a family sedan, that depends on how much room you like in the back. I had an A8L for a while, and I loved that car for teenagers who needed more leg room. My S8 is pretty roomy too. If you have kids in car seats, you might want to look at the A8 or A8L.
One of my partners drives an A7, that is also a really nice vehicle.

But that RS7 tho....

;)

You hear about the new s8 e-tron coming soon?

Supposedly gonna be pushing 650+ hp...

It still sounds like a V10 though, it's a higher pitch and has less growl care of the 250/500Hz harmonic frequencies that were ever so carefully crafted. I like a loud, brutish V8 myself
I suppose the standard pushrod V8 does have it's own sort of... quaint charm...

Brute strength my friend.

You know what dude... I’m totally not surprised by this. Seems very Noy.
For those that don’t know this guy, he’s chizeled, has the stamina of a race horse and is super chill to top it off. Also one of the best dudes to head out with (and learn from- super patient). When you bonk towards the end of a 3500 ft climb approaching 12k altitude (like I did on our Molas ride)...Noy was right there helping me find my extra reserves... even handed me my first aid kit after the ride (aka after ride etoh recovery drink). So brute strength... ya...should have guessed. :thumbup:

Exemplary anesthesiologist all around.

I assumed he had a friend named Brute Strength.

Reactions: 4 users
You know what dude... I’m totally not surprised by this. Seems very Noy.
For those that don’t know this guy, he’s chizeled, has the stamina of a race horse and is super chill to top it off. Also one of the best dudes to head out with (and learn from- super patient). When you bonk towards the end of a 3500 ft climb approaching 12k altitude (like I did on our Molas ride)...Noy was right there helping me find my extra reserves... even handed me my first aid kit after the ride (aka after ride etoh recovery drink). So brute strength... ya...should have guessed. :thumbup:

Exemplary anesthesiologist all around.
Disclaimer: I paid Sevo to say all the BS. THANKS Sevo.

I’m a classic man. My dream car is a rosso corsa 1992 512TR. I want to relive my childhood dream of driving in the La Jolla, California sunset with a hot blonde on my right and synthwave blasting. That or a Calsonic blue 1993 R32 GTR jacked up with full engine build.

Reactions: 2 users