Car guys...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok. I’m planning on buying a Ferrari. Like Everest, because it’s there and I can. It will be a waste, it will depreciate dramatically, it will be a blast to drive, it will put a smile on my face. I may go practical and get a GTC4. I know it’s only a V8. But a twin turbo V8. Who am I kidding, 812 or nothing!

--
Il Destriero

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I love cars, but even I can't justify buying one of those monstrosities.... Especially after what VW has done to Lamborghini.

This is not what a Lamborghini looks like... so bland
USC50LGC051A01300.jpg

One of the docs let me drive his one day, I’ve never driven a more uncomfortable car. Over rated!

Members don't see this ad :)
A used garage-queen non-supercar is the sweet spot.

I bought a 2006 M3 with about 50K miles on it a couple years ago for about $20K. I don't think I'd have gotten an extra $100K of enjoyment out of a new M6.

E46 M3? Love those! Post some pics of it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Driving a second gen CTS-V sedan that I picked up used a few years ago. Great resale value, reliable as hell, but the miles are low and I only occasionally flog it hard. You just need to be able to live with 12-13 avg mpg :)

Reactions: 4 users
My neighbor has a Cadillac V sedan and coupe. He’s obviously a Cadillac man. I thought they were cool until I saw the price approached 100k. Ironically he rarely drives either and is ferried around by his wife in her Cadillac Crossover. Maybe he invests in a dealership?

--
Il Destriero

Ok. I’m planning on buying a Ferrari. Like Everest, because it’s there and I can. It will be a waste, it will depreciate dramatically, it will be a blast to drive, it will put a smile on my face. I may go practical and get a GTC4. I know it’s only a V8. But a twin turbo V8. Who am I kidding, 812 or nothing!

--
Il Destriero
You, sir, have excellent taste.

Don't underestimate the power of the twin turbo V8 though. The M5 recently switched from a V10 to a twin turbo V8 and that thing will still peel your face off... But you just don't get as nice of a sound anymore.

You, sir, have excellent taste.

Don't underestimate the power of the twin turbo V8 though. The M5 recently switched from a V10 to a twin turbo V8 and that thing will still peel your face off... But you just don't get as nice of a sound anymore.

Nothing sounds as good as an American pushrod V8 with a big lopey cam.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok. I’m planning on buying a Ferrari. Like Everest, because it’s there and I can. It will be a waste, it will depreciate dramatically ...

--
Il Destriero

would you consider a classic ferrari -- likely to appreciate if you look after it.
Ferrari Dino 246 GT

ok dino's are expensive - but you get what I mean.
plus I think getting a classic allows you to look awesome with out the "small penis" stigma

BMW M2 DCT in Long Beach Blue!

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Impala with a non- working stereo... but the rest works fine. I’m happy to have to no car payments and to instead aggressively pay off my oppressive student loans!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
would you consider a classic ferrari -- likely to appreciate if you look after it.
Ferrari Dino 246 GT

ok dino's are expensive - but you get what I mean.
plus I think getting a classic allows you to look awesome with out the "small penis" stigma

My parents old neighbor was an orthopedic surgeon in the 70s-90’s. He collected amazing classic Ferrari’s when they were “affordable”. He had at least 12 or 15. He kept 6 in his garage, more in a warehouse. I’m sure they’re worth many millions. Never new ones, only the classics, and always minty.
300k new, 300k old. The old ones look cool, but they don’t have 780hp.

--
Il Destriero

Last edited:
Cars make me happy and I've gone through way to many. My current baby is a Porsche GT4. Nothing beats that mid-engine feel.

This car has actually gone up in value since I got it.

Reactions: 6 users
Skip the BMW, Mercedes, Audi nonsense and go for the 4-door Ferrari...

46_Alfa_Romeo_Giulia_Quadrifoglio.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I bought a brand new BMW 535i straight out of fellowship. In retrospect, I wish I had just bought a 4Runner and maybe a used M3 for the weekends.

E46 M3? Love those! Post some pics of it!
Yes an E46, SMG competition package. Looks like every other silver M3 with 19" wheels. :)

The only problem was that a previous owner put an aftermarket exhaust on it, which was freakishly godawful loud. Seemed fine, nice even, for the test drive ... quickly became intolerable.

A dealer quoted me something like $11,000 to restore the exhaust to original condition. I bought an OEM muffler off a wreck for $200, paid another $300ish for labor and four new exhaust tips, and it was back to stock. And thank god, I was about ready to sell it after a week of listening to it. I suspect my neighbors were ready to set fire to it, since I typically left for work before they were awake. :)

Why are there so many people that clearly aren't car guys posting in here? The OP wanted to dream a little. Take your ideas about practicality elsewhere.

For real. Guess what, life is also a depreciating asset, and then you die. If you feel owning a nice car will make you happier and you can afford it, the correct decision is to get one, even if "objectively" speaking it's not a wise financial decision. I like nice cars and I'm going to get one as soon as it becomes feasible, ie the tail end of residency. If I'm going to sink money into a sexy car, it's gonna be when I'm 29, not 49. Frankly, I'd rather make financial sacrifices during my geezer years to be able to enjoy my prime than the other way around. Delayed gratification is only wise up to a certain point given that we are mortal beings.

Hell, there is even an argument to be made that spending some of your money as you go over hoarding every last penny like a Dickensian miser is in fact a wise move from a logical, objective point of view. You're hedging against the very real possibility that you'll get stricken down by disease or trauma before reaching your "golden years," or that geopolitical changes will wipe out the value of your investments, even hard currency and property. The second half of the 20th century and up to now has been extremely unusual in that we've enjoyed an era of peace and tranquility in the West that's quite atypical historically speaking. Nothing good can last forever. The realignment towards Asia and the demographic transition underway in the United States and Europe make the continuation of this stability over the lifetime of today's medical students/residents unlikely. Spend that money while you can fellas!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Currently in a Cayenne. It gets us from point A to point B. Prior to that an E63, before that an E55 with 560 wheel/640 lb-ft [should have never sold that car], before that a Boxster, and before that a gutted turbo'd caged RX-8 that I would daily in addition to DE's.

When my wife and I get to the point of needing a second car, I'll probably look for a 930 Flachbau or 993.

Benz, Audi, Rover, they’ve all been in my garage. Some still are. Read PGGs advice above. If I had done that, I’d be at least 100k richer and probably have had exactly the same fun.
Now I drive a giant Luxobarge that I alternate between hating and wanting to keep for 200k+ miles.
I think this is the end of the line for the Toyota 4Runner. I might pick up a TRD Pro if they change it all up for next year. It’s a real SUV. A dinosaur. That or a gently used Defender, but the prices on those have gotten a little silly.
--
Il Destriero
This is mine and it’s going up for sale.
I also drive a 2008 Tundra Supercharged. Over 500 hp. It’s a beast.

Attachments

• A4B65E57-70C5-446D-BE27-9E5A383840C1.jpeg
    A4B65E57-70C5-446D-BE27-9E5A383840C1.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 393BB38D-E7D5-4974-9DC3-99F479CB5477.jpeg
    393BB38D-E7D5-4974-9DC3-99F479CB5477.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
For real. Guess what, life is also a depreciating asset, and then you die. If you feel owning a nice car will make you happier and you can afford it, the correct decision is to get one, even if "objectively" speaking it's not a wise financial decision. I like nice cars and I'm going to get one as soon as it becomes feasible, ie the tail end of residency. If I'm going to sink money into a sexy car, it's gonna be when I'm 29, not 49. Frankly, I'd rather make financial sacrifices during my geezer years to be able to enjoy my prime than the other way around. Delayed gratification is only wise up to a certain point given that we are mortal beings.

Hell, there is even an argument to be made that spending some of your money as you go over hoarding every last penny like a Dickensian miser is in fact a wise move from a logical, objective point of view. You're hedging against the very real possibility that you'll get stricken down by disease or trauma before reaching your "golden years," or that geopolitical changes will wipe out the value of your investments, even hard currency and property. The second half of the 20th century and up to now has been extremely unusual in that we've enjoyed an era of peace and tranquility in the West that's quite atypical historically speaking. Nothing good can last forever. The realignment towards Asia and the demographic transition underway in the United States and Europe make the continuation of this stability over the lifetime of today's medical students/residents unlikely. Spend that money while you can fellas!

Check with us in 10-20 years and we’ll see how this works out for you.

This is mine and it’s going up for sale.
I also drive a 2008 Tundra Supercharged. Over 500 hp. It’s a beast.
I miss this.

I had a LR Discovery in college and that thing was my favorite car by far... until the engine crapped out because of an improperly fitted oil tank, for which they never did a recall! Cheap bastards.... Swore I'd never buy LR again after that.

Currently driving a 320i, 4 cylinder turbo, great gas mileage, comfortable, I'd keep it as a daily driver but I have no use for 2 cars. I'm going back to an SUV.

Last edited:
Check with us in 10-20 years and we’ll see how this works out for you.
You can burn through the better part of $100K being a world traveler pretty easy over a few years too, and at the end you've got something less tangible than a new $100K sports car every few years. But no one really derides the decision to see Fiji or ski the Alps.

Nice restaurants are lousy investments too.

I figure that once you've set a retirement goal and set up a plan to fund it, the only sensible thing to do with whatever's left over is to spend it. :)

Reactions: 5 users
porsche-model.png

Makes me happy :D

Miami Blue? Gorgeous color in person. I wish I had the guts to daily drive one of those colors.
View attachment 233058

It’s my extremely fun (almost) daily driver. I just laugh when people make comments about how much it costs because in reality it cost less than most of the SUVs that people buy. Fun, fast, reliable and relatively inexpensive to operate.
A lot of people overestimate how much Corvettes cost. My SO's mom was chastising her FM physician friend for buying one when it cost just as much as her Mercedes.

I love cars, but even I can't justify buying one of those monstrosities.... Especially after what VW has done to Lamborghini.

This is not what a Lamborghini looks like... so bland
USC50LGC051A01300.jpg

I didn't like the Huracan when it came out at first, but now I actually like it more than the Aventador.

Currently in my resident car which is a 2015 Mini Cooper S which is a fun drive. Lease is ending soon. I’m In a 2 physician income household and looking to upgrade to a Porsche 911 before kids. Making good money now and still putting a ton away for investment/retirement where getting a Porsche isn’t going to break the bank. Although, the financial part of me tells me to save. But being a dead rich guy isn’t cool either.

Other attending cars at my shop: 911s, tesla S, some Ferrari’s but those stay at home, Range Rovers, G wagon, E63s, M5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miami Blue? Gorgeous color in person. I wish I had the guts to daily drive one of those colors.

When you're going for fun, go for FUN! Every time I climb in to go somewhere, it lifts my spirits. And it's always the car parked out front at any restaurant -- :D

BMW 4 series......wanted an M but dealer wouldnt give me the 0% interest deal on it. I miss my SUV though

You can still get one, just not from Toyota direct. The Magnusen supercharger is the same as the OEM one.
Yes, and then Magnusen picks up the warranty.
For some reason Toyota no longer warranties the SC. Don’t know why, mine has been fantastic for 10 yrs.

I love sports cars but I wouldn’t own an exotic thing like a Porsche, Corvette, or anything like that unless I had a local track to take it too. I can’t trust myself to keep it safe on public roads.

However, if I lived in a metropolitan area I’d definite have a Mercedes AMG E63S. I’d debadge it and keep it low key. Well as low key as possible.

While I love cars, and would really love to have a 911, or an Aston, I just can’t fathom actually spending >150k on a car. Unless of course I hit the lottery I never play.

What I’ve always wanted is a small stable of old rebuilt classic cars; a 67-69 Camaro, a 70’s Chevy C10, etc. All restored but also custom done, I’m not the OEM collector type. I want a few cars to decide from for my future Sunday morning drives. But now, I’m worried by the time I have the free money and hobby time emission regulations will have outlawed all superchargers and hot rods making them true garage/trailer queens which hurts my soul.

It’s for this reason it almost makes me want to go impulse buy a nice 50k hotrod at the first Barrett Jackson’s (though they seem to run high) that occurs post annual bonus. Almost.

You can still get one, just not from Toyota direct. The Magnusen supercharger is the same as the OEM one.
Oh I was just referring to SUVs in general. Not sure if I'm a Toyota man...

I had an X3 for a couple of years and I think that was the perfect balance of ground clearance and sporty handling. Had to get rid of it when I moved to med school cuz I wouldn't have tools/a garage for repairs anymore. The only way I was able to afford it was by doing literally all the repairs myself. Maybe I'll go back to a used one.

For you, a deal.

As much as I love those, I’d have a hard time dropping that much on something that’s gonna get banged up off-road. I think you should easily be able to get your asking price.

My next vehicle needs to be a truck though - I will need some towing capacity. While I appreciate cars, I’m a boat guy at heart. Something very similar to this is in my 2.5 year plan:

2797A133-0B63-4C9A-80BF-A7A68B4B481F.jpeg

I even bought my particular house 2 years ago specifically because it had a side yard big enough for boat parking.

Attachments

• 7644937F-F2B6-4912-988A-B726797FEC4D.png
    7644937F-F2B6-4912-988A-B726797FEC4D.png
    451.5 KB · Views: 64
Been driving 10+ year old used cars my whole life. About three years into private practice I decided to splurge and get a new truck. Test drive a few trucks and drove home a Raptor. Love it

Now I truly enjoy driving to work each day ;)

Been driving 10+ year old used cars my whole life. About three years into private practice I decided to splurge and get a new truck. Test drive a few trucks and drove home a Raptor. Love it

Now I truly enjoy driving to work each day ;)
I really like the Raptors. I was so bummed when Ford went to the V6 though. That makes no sense. I drove one last year and the difference btw my supercharged Tundra and that V6 is indescribable. But the suspension on the Raptor is bitchin. My Tundra has King Suspension though so I’m all good.

As much as I love those, I’d have a hard time dropping that much on something that’s gonna get banged up off-road. I think you should easily be able to get your asking price.

My next vehicle needs to be a truck though - I will need some towing capacity. While I appreciate cars, I’m a boat guy at heart. Something very similar to this is in my 2.5 year plan:

View attachment 233233

I even bought my particular house 2 years ago specifically because it had a side yard big enough for boat parking.
I don’t know boats. But that’s not what I picture you in Salty.

What's your guy's take on leasing a new car vs. buying certified pre-owned?

I've always learned that when it comes to buying..

Stick to Toyota, Lexus, and Porsche (surprisingly).. which hold their resale really well.

Leasing?

BMW has solid lease specials and so does Audi.

What do y'all big ballers do?

I really like the Raptors. I was so bummed when Ford went to the V6 though. That makes no sense. I drove one last year and the difference btw my supercharged Tundra and that V6 is indescribable. But the suspension on the Raptor is bitchin. My Tundra has King Suspension though so I’m all good.

TRD offers a supercharger for the tundra you can purchase.

They bump up power past 500 horses and having sat in one...

It is a DAY AND NIGHT difference.

More than “day and night” or “night and day” in my neck of the woods, it’s indescribable for a truck. Throw on a desert runner suspension and hit the dirt and it will make your palms sweat as much as any sports car can.

No more TRD superchargers. Gotta get it through Magnusen as mentioned above.

What's your guy's take on leasing a new car vs. buying certified pre-owned?

Depends on a few things. You have to take into account your group’s corporate structure and if one confers a tax benefit over the other. For us, it used to be better to lease, but with the new and improved depreciation limits, I’m gonna have to run the numbers again.

Other than that, do you like to cycle through cars, or are you ok driving one into the ground?

Even buying new can make sense if you plan to keep the vehicle long enough.

No more TRD superchargers. Gotta get it through Magnusen as mentioned above.

WHAAAT? since when???

That's a bummer.

FWIW I know somebody who actually did his own suspension work and installed the same Fox springs that are on the raptor to his tundra.

Idk about all the calibration as I'm sure that the engineers at Ford got that all worked out to a tee but having been in it... it's simply amazing and makes you question throwing 70K-80K to a Ford when you can get a Tundra for less than half and the supercharger and mod work will be another 10-15K (depending on supplies... labor... etc.)

But that warranty issue is where I can see the raptor coming in handyyy...

But THEN agaiiinn...

I mean it IS a toyota.

Warranty is a curse word in the Toyota dictionary. lolz

Depends on a few things. You have to take into account your group’s corporate structure and if one confers a tax benefit over the other. For us, it used to be better to lease, but with the new and improved depreciation limits, I’m gonna have to run the numbers again.

Other than that, do you like to cycle through cars, or are you ok driving one into the ground?

Even buying new can make sense if you plan to keep the vehicle long enough.

I'm just a med student my good sir.

But I love cars as much as the next car guy.

If I ever get to that point... I'll be sure to take the advice you've so eloquently stated into much consideration!

WHAAAT? since when???

That's a bummer.

FWIW I know somebody who actually did his own suspension work and installed the same Fox springs that are on the raptor to his tundra.

Idk about all the calibration as I'm sure that the engineers at Ford got that all worked out to a tee but having been in it... it's simply amazing and makes you question throwing 70K-80K to a Ford when you can get a Tundra for less than half and the supercharger and mod work will be another 10-15K (depending on supplies... labor... etc.)

But that warranty issue is where I can see the raptor coming in handyyy...

But THEN agaiiinn...

I mean it IS a toyota.

Warranty is a curse word in the Toyota dictionary. lolz

Raptors are nice trucks, and the MSRP on ‘em isn’t terrible. But . . . .try getting one here in CA for less than 20k over MSRP in dealer markups. Ain’t gonna happen. Sorry, but it just isn’t an 80k truck. Hell, buy a regular F150 and put 25k into it and that’ll eat Raptors for lunch. That and I pass about 6 Raptors on my 8 mile drive to work.

I’d consider a RAM Minotaur though.

Magnusen picks up the warranty if you want to SC a Tundra so no worries there.