Car guys...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I was a medical student, he was a Honda Accord guy. RIP

“he imbued his trainees with a sense of responsibility and ownership of the patient, a quality so deeply embedded in their DNA that it would last a lifetime.”

FRANK SPENCER's Obituary on New York Times

Profile of Excellence: Dr. Frank C. Spencer

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Not too flashy but hard to resist the performance and overall functionality of the F-Pace S:

View attachment 238152

My wife drives the F pace S in white.
It’s fast. Suspension is a bit stiff for my style, but it’s glued to the road. (22’s)

Looking into the Lumma kit.

I haven’t looked into the Lumma kits. As fancy as I got was having Opti Pro Plus ceramic coating applied. Highly recommend for all nice rides. Oh, also had front and rear dash cams installed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven’t looked into the Lumma kits. As fancy as I got was having Opti Pro Plus ceramic coating applied. Highly recommend for all nice rides. Oh, also had front and rear dash cams installed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Nice. Love seeing that constant beading when water hits the vehicle. I went with C. Quartz and wrapped parts of the front and b panels. Excellent investment.

Nice. Love seeing that constant beading when water hits the vehicle. I went with C. Quartz and wrapped parts of the front and b panels. Excellent investment.
How long did C Quartz last for you? It only lasted maybe 13 months for me but I track the car 6 odd times a year.

Debating between the model S and 3. Anyone here able to compare/contrast the two?
Disclaimer: i haven't tried the 3.

It depends on what you're using the car for; if you need it for a short commute to work and running errands close to home and you don't often have 4+ passengers the 3 is probably the best option.

If you often take longer trips with 4+ passengers or need longer range (the 3 will probably get the bigger batteries later on) then the S is better.

That sounds about right. A lot easier than waxing every month.
Ok. There are so many ceramic options out there. I think in going to use this one again though. The lack of damage on the front of the vehicle is incredible and I attribute it completely to the ceramic. To purists, carnauba has the deepest shine, but it just doesn't do what ceramic does and takes a lot of labor so I will never do it again on my nice cars.

While on the topic, I would highly recommend any of the new synthetic clay mitts available these days. It has made claying the car take 30 minutes max! I now do that 4 times a year instead of once.

I'm in the Northeast. Will ceramic help protect my paint better than wax when it's salty/cold?

Any recommendations on front/rear cams?

Debating between the model S and 3. Anyone here able to compare/contrast the two?

Disclaimer: i haven't tried the 3.

It depends on what you're using the car for; if you need it for a short commute to work and running errands close to home and you don't often have 4+ passengers the 3 is probably the best option.

If you often take longer trips with 4+ passengers or need longer range (the 3 will probably get the bigger batteries later on) then the S is better.
I think the 3 only has the bigger batteries now and will possibly maybe someday have the regular batteries and cost 35k rather than the 55-80k they cost now.

I think the 3 only has the bigger batteries now and will possibly maybe someday have the regular batteries and cost 35k rather than the 55-80k they cost now.

There’s not a snowballs chance in hell the 3 will cost anything near $35k in the next decade.

It drops about 100k at 1 yr and 5000mi.
That’s more my speed there.
One of my friends had a Bently Turbo R or whatever it was. Fastest Bentley ever, blah, blah, blah. Hand sewn Koala skin, etc. ;) ... 18 months and ~10000 miles, lost 52% of MSRP when he dumped it in perfect condition. That’s nuts.
I should have bought it. Lol.
But, it would depreciate to nothing. A nice Ferrari, etc. should stabilize out and retain some value, particularly if it’s some special edition. The older 911s seem be doing pretty well. My old buddy’s beater track car is now his garage queen.

--
Il Destriero

You’d be an idiot to purchase any of these cars new. 1-2 years old all the way

Members don't see this ad :)
There’s not a snowballs chance in hell the 3 will cost anything near $35k in the next decade.
It's currently at 49k.
With the 60kW battery and non premium interior it'll be closer to 40k maybe not 35k but not to far off and if you get some tax incentive or federal rebate you might get there.

It's currently at 49k.
With the 60kW battery and non premium interior it'll be closer to 40k maybe not 35k but not to far off and if you get some tax incentive or federal rebate you might get there.

There won’t be a federal rebate by the time the 40k model 3 is available.

I'm not sure I understand the market for the Model 3. New Civics and Accords start around $20-25K and at 30-40 mpg the $10-15K price difference between the Honda and even the unobtainium $35K Model 3 will pay for 100-200,000 miles of gas.

Are the Model 3s that much nicer than a basic Honda?

I'm not sure I understand the market for the Model 3. New Civics and Accords start around $20-25K and at 30-40 mpg the $10-15K price difference between the Honda and even the unobtainium $35K Model 3 will pay for 100-200,000 miles of gas.

The interior is about the same as a Honda. In my opinion, what you are paying for with the Model 3 is the Torque a Tesla/electric car gets you. Any of the Tesla cars will beat just about any other car on the road off the line.
Pros of the Model S over the Model 3:
1) The interior of the Model 3 is not as nice as the Model S. The Model S just feels like a nicer car (because it is) when you are inside.
2) Model S has more seats in back, which is really nice for kids/kids friends. I'd say the Model S is more family friendly than the Model X.
3) Model 3 has only one screen that is in the middle of the car so you get bad glare when sun hits it right. There is no cover over the top (like a typical car dash above the steering wheel) to block the sun. The Model S has two screens, one above the steering wheel like a normal car so this is less of a problem when you are simply trying to see your speed.
4) Model S is AWD. Model 3 is not.

Last edited:

0-60 in 4.5 sec vs 6.3 sec.
It’s probably more fair to compare the model 3 to an A4 or 3 series. The model 3 has a similar price (until the rebate expires) and capability but would be cheaper to own for 5 years than it’s competition given the electricity is around half as expensive per mile as gas (and maybe be available for free depending on where you park.

The interior is about the same as a Honda. In my opinion, what you are paying for with the Model 3 is the Torque a Tesla/electric car gets you. Any of the Tesla cars will beat just about any other car on the road off the line.
Pros of the Model S over the Model 3:
1) The interior of the Model 3 is not as nice as the Model S. The Model S just feels like a nicer car (because it is) when you are inside.
2) Model S has more seats in back, which is really nice for kids/kids friends. I'd say the Model S is more family friendly than the Model X.
3) Model 3 has only one screen that is in the middle of the car so you get bad glare when sun hits it right. There is no cover over the top (like a typical car dash above the steering wheel) to block the sun. The Model S has two screens, one above the steering wheel like a normal car so this is less of a problem when you are simply trying to see your speed.
4) Model S is AWD. Model 3 is not.
There are 3 Model 3 trims available right now. 2 are AWD.
Rear-Wheel Drive

Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

Lol are you serious? The model 3's performance blows away it's competition with comparable BMW , Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, etc lines. 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. In many tests it performs even faster than that

0-60 in 4.5 sec vs 6.3 sec.
It’s probably more fair to compare the model 3 to an A4 or 3 series. The model 3 has a similar price (until the rebate expires) and capability but would be cheaper to own for 5 years than it’s competition given the electricity is around half as expensive per mile as gas (and maybe be available for free depending on where you park.
Performance wise, an A4 or 3 series doesn't even come close to the model 3. Not even in the same ballpark

Lol are you serious? The model 3's performance blows away it's competition with comparable BMW , Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, etc lines. 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. In many tests it performs even faster than that

Until you wanna drive to Vegas.

Reactions: 1 users
Performance wise, an A4 or 3 series doesn't even come close to the model 3. Not even in the same ballpark
The Tesla with a comparable price range to a 3 series, A4, or possibly S4 would be the rear wheel drive or dual motor AWD with 0-60 5.1 and 4.5 seconds. I can’t comment on interior or handling.

The performance dual motor model 3 would need to be compared price and performance-wise to an M3 or the (not available) RS4. It’s a stretch to claim the Tesla blows away the comparably priced Audi or BMW in either case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes I'm serious.

No reasonable person is going to believe that a Model 3 will handle in a manner even remotely comparable to any of those BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, etc lines. Nor will it have the same level of subjectively impressive fit and finish. (Indeed there have been plenty of reports of Tesla's poor quality control, manufacturing issues with high part rejection rates, questionable customer service, etc.)

The Model 3's "performance" might include a nice 0-60 time, but plain old straight line acceleration is just part of performance. If that one quality blows your hair back, great, I guess. But it just looks like an inferior car in every other regard, even at $35K. Which, of course, doesn't actually exist yet ... there are no $35K Model 3s in the world yet.

I hope Tesla has great success in the long run because obviously electric vehicles are the future. Someday I'll probably buy an EV, and I'm glad Tesla is pushing this technology to spur development and competition. But I just can't follow any rational thought process that leads to buying a Model 3. If it's a dragster sedan you want, there are cheaper options.

Yes I'm serious.

No reasonable person is going to believe that a Model 3 will handle in a manner even remotely comparable to any of those BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, etc lines. Nor will it have the same level of subjectively impressive fit and finish. (Indeed there have been plenty of reports of Tesla's poor quality control, manufacturing issues with high part rejection rates, questionable customer service, etc.)

The Model 3's "performance" might include a nice 0-60 time, but plain old straight line acceleration is just part of performance. If that one quality blows your hair back, great, I guess. But it just looks like an inferior car in every other regard, even at $35K. Which, of course, doesn't actually exist yet ... there are no $35K Model 3s in the world yet.

I hope Tesla has great success in the long run because obviously electric vehicles are the future. Someday I'll probably buy an EV, and I'm glad Tesla is pushing this technology to spur development and competition. But I just can't follow any rational thought process that leads to buying a Model 3. If it's a dragster sedan you want, there are cheaper options.
I've had the opportunity to drive many exotic cars porsche ferrari caterham etc... without being a pro driver i can confidently say that i love the way my model S handles (and i don't even have the fancy suspension).

Regarding interior finish, i don't understand what kind of criteria people are using: there are no knobs dials etc in the car that need tight fitting. The steering wheel is great and the screen amazing (keeping in mind it was developed before the ipad).
I'll grant you that the seats are not super comfy like they could be in a high end limo.

I've had mine for 2.5 years and did 80k km without a single issue and zero maintenance cost.
The people i know that have had problems said they were handled swiftly at no cost to them.

Like i said i haven't tried the 3 but if you do i'm sure you'll realise it is in no way in the same ballpark as a corolla/camry.

Like many Tesla owners i don't think i'm ever going back to a petrol engine except maybe for an old sports car.

I don't understand why you're talking about the S. That's like saying that since a Z06 is nice the Cruze must be great too, because Chevy makes both cars. :)