Car guys...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acidbase1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What you got? Inspire me I’m still poor

Members don't see this ad.

I have. I’ll be the millionaire next door for a decade then R8 it is

Members don't see this ad :)
S8s are amazing. Wanted an A7 after graduating, but got a reasonably priced truck to continue the delayed gratification game we are stuck in

Reactions: 1 users
S8s are amazing. Wanted an A7 after graduating, but got a reasonably priced truck to continue the delayed gratification game we are stuck in

That’s smart.
Be fiscally responsible, but enjoy your success too. I get almost daily reminders that life is short.

A used garage-queen non-supercar is the sweet spot.

I bought a 2006 M3 with about 50K miles on it a couple years ago for about $20K. I don't think I'd have gotten an extra $100K of enjoyment out of a new M6.

Reactions: 11 users
I have an S8 now, R8 will be my next car.
German is always a safe choice.

I'm disappointed though where all the Lambos and Furraris at? I guess most of you aren't bachelors so kinda no point...

German is always a safe choice.

I'm disappointed though where all the Lambos and Furraris at? I guess most of you aren't bachelors so kinda no point...

This is funny, because it’s the orthopods at my place that drive these. It’s like a rite of passage- one by one as they make partner and invest in the local surgery center, a new one shows up in the doc lot.

Reactions: 2 users
I had an M4, sold it though. I was kind of on tilt when I bought it, because prior to that, I still had the same ride from undergrad that was eighteen years old and had 283K mi. ('96 Integra) Loved the M4 because I got it brand new in 2014 when the 4-series was first introduced in the lineup. When I bought it, I still had med school loans and other debts, so it didn't make sense to keep holding onto a depreciating asset. In retrospect, it would've been more financially prudent to have bought something more economical. But, I enjoyed my time driving it up until I sold it.

Cars are like material possessions that some people just don't get the concept of an expensive vs inexpensive one, as long as they can safely get from Point A to Point B. For others, (like myself) they definitely do appreciate a well-crafted vehicle that looks and drives great. I guess it's kinda like women and their purses...haha

Last edited:
I used to love cars too but unfortunately the more I began to care about financial independence and an eventual exit plan from this game, the more an expensive car looked like a giant depreciating asset on my balance sheet.

I realize I’m being a big buzzkill, sorry.

Reactions: 10 users
I had an M4, sold it though. I was kind of on tilt when I bought it, because prior to that, I still had the same ride from undergrad that was eighteen years old and had 283K mi. ('96 Integra) Loved the M4 because I got it brand new in 2014 when the 4-series was first introduced in the lineup. When I bought it, I still had med school loans and other debts, so it didn't make sense to keep holding onto a depreciating asset. In retrospect, it would've been more financially prudent to have bought something more economical. But, I enjoyed my time driving it up until I sold it.

Cars are like material possessions that some people just don't get the concept of an expensive vs inexpensive one, as long as they can safely get from Point A to Point B. For others, (like myself) they definitely do appreciate a well-crafted vehicle that looks and drives great. I guess it's kinda like women and their purses...haha

I'm partial to Ms because they can be reliable daily drivers, pretty low cost to maintain (outside of premium gas), really perform well, and aren't so flashy that they attract a lot of attention and cops. I may pick up a used M4 or M6 in a few years. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Love my Tahoe. Sporty sedans aren’t really my thang. Getting the wife a crossover this summer after we sell her Barney Rubble car.

Benz, Audi, Rover, they’ve all been in my garage. Some still are. Read PGGs advice above. If I had done that, I’d be at least 100k richer and probably have had exactly the same fun.
Now I drive a giant Luxobarge that I alternate between hating and wanting to keep for 200k+ miles.
I think this is the end of the line for the Toyota 4Runner. I might pick up a TRD Pro if they change it all up for next year. It’s a real SUV. A dinosaur. That or a gently used Defender, but the prices on those have gotten a little silly.

--
Il Destriero

4Runner. I was shopping used M3s a couple years ago when I realized my 4Runner does everything I could ever want it to. It’s fun to drive in the sense that I can drive it anywhere. I can neglect it for months and it still remains loyal. It’s as useful for trips to the lumber yard as it is for trips with the family. A scratch on a sports car is a cause for agitation while a scratch on a 4Runner is patina. The only knock against it is it’s lousy fuel economy. If Toyota can fix that while keeping the 4Runner true to its roots, it will have built the perfect vehicle. Three things will survive the apocalypse...cockroaches, twinkies, and 4runners.

Reactions: 4 users
Transparency... I have a website geared at trainees and young attendings where I discuss personal finance topics. I fully endorse what has been said above about not spending money on cars and making quicker financial success. Seriously.

That said, I took a very small bump in lifestyle and bought a nightfall grey metallic Chevy SS. 6speed manual V8 four door sedan. 415 horse power with three car seats in the back. Ultimate sleeper haha.

So that I can sleep saying that, I talk about it more in my post where I encourage you to enjoy 10% of your bumps in pay and put the other 90% towards building wealth.

The First Philosophy: The 10% Rule - The Physician Philosopher

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

This is funny, because it’s the orthopods at my place that drive these. It’s like a rite of passage- one by one as they make partner and invest in the local surgery center, a new one shows up in the doc lot.

Damn all the ortho’s are driving Ferrari’s and lambos? Must be nice

70’s FJ40 or FJ55. Started out with a rust bucket 40 and then transitioned to 55. Loved working on those things. Learned to change oil, tires, adjust valves, carb, transmission, clutch, welding etc etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Since I don’t really need a truck right now, I decided to change gears and got VW GTI. Fun as hell for a 25k car and feels much nicer than the price tag would suggest. Is an M3/M4 faster - yeah, but it ain’t 3.5x faster.

I have 2016 Hyundai Sonata, wife drives 2013 Mazda CX5. Safe and reliable. We started our first jobs as attendings 32 months ago.
More importantly:
- paid off (both of our) med school debt 11 months into attendinghood
- owe 7 years on the 10 year mortgage we took on 10 months ago
- just passed $1M in savings (retirement + FU accounts)

Reactions: 14 users
Thanks.

Full disclosure:
- 2 attending income, initially with no kids (got a great one now!)
- we were smart in med school: both went to state med schools, and lived like we were broke in med school
- we don't exactly live like residents now, but we shop at Aldi's and use coupons on the regular. No shame in our game
- all of our plans are made on "what if..." assuming we only have the lesser of the two incomes, so the other income is literally only for savings
- goal would be the ability to decide NOT to work much past age 53-55 if so desired, although I love what I do

Toyota Prius. 63 mpg. Perfect for my job that has me sometimes going to multiple hospitals throughout the day.

Also, balances out the bad gas mileage that my wife gets with the minivan.

Never saw the appeal with flashy cars. For me, they are just a means to get from Point A to B

Damn all the ortho’s are driving Ferrari’s and lambos? Must be nice

Not all, but enough to be considered a pattern/cliche. They also work like dogs.
I’ll keep slumming it in my Audi and actually see my family.

Cars, bah. Think airplanes.
emoji106.png

Reminds me of that quote from The Social Network, "A million dollars isn't cool. You know what's cool? A billion dollars"

When I was a kid, I dreamed about becoming a doctor and driving a nice car, like all the doctors did. Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lexus, etc. Very common in the hospital parking lots.

Now I'm 11 years into practice, and I have a 2013 Honda Accord, wife drives a 2011 Toyota Sienna. Both are solid, reliable, loaded with safety features usually reserved for more expensive brands, and most importantly, the FU accounts are growing!

With that said, you have to do what makes you happy. If a fancy car makes you happy, then get a fancy car, and enjoy the hell out of it! For me, the pathway to financial independence supersedes my childhood dreams of the "doctor car."

Sorry if I'm a Debbie Downer!

Love my Tahoe. Sporty sedans aren’t really my thang. Getting the wife a crossover this summer after we sell her Barney Rubble car.

Sounds like you could go for a Yukon Denali next time!

I'm in my mid 40's and I've never owned a new vehicle. Usually run them into the ground.
This year we went for new RRS (me), F-Pace S (wife) and just picked up a 2015 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax (used). Sort of a "mid-life treat yourself to something nice" purchase.
Will likely run all 3 of these vehicles in to the ground, or at least until the 10 year extended warranty runs out.
My previous vehicles have been toyota 4Runners (255k, 270k before retirement), Infinity G37s, and a Highlander. Been rolling with those for a very long time (all retired at > 10 years and all bought used).

Cars, bah.

Think airplanes.

Two of my residency classmates own planes. Both are former Navy pilots. I'd fly with them.

I've known two other doctors who I knew owned planes. I'm sure there are more that I don't know about. Funny, it's cliche, but both of those guys had Bonanzas ... I don't think I'd fly with them. Someone coined "split tail doctor killer" for a reason. :)

Beech_Bonanza_Takeoff_%285517383917%29.jpg

I earned my private pilot cert when I was 17, kept flying at my university's club for a few years. Quit because I couldn't afford to do it often enough to really stay current. I was afraid I'd end up a statistic. Haven't flown a plane in 20+ years now. Might get back into it someday.

Split tail doctor killer. Maybe someday. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Two of my residency classmates own planes. Both are former Navy pilots. I'd fly with them.

I've known two other doctors who I knew owned planes. I'm sure there are more that I don't know about. Funny, it's cliche, but both of those guys had Bonanzas ... I don't think I'd fly with them. Someone coined "split tail doctor killer" for a reason. :)

Beech_Bonanza_Takeoff_%285517383917%29.jpg

I earned my private pilot cert when I was 17, kept flying at my university's club for a few years. Quit because I couldn't afford to do it often enough to really stay current. I was afraid I'd end up a statistic. Haven't flown a plane in 20+ years now. Might get back into it someday.

Split tail doctor killer. Maybe someday. :)

Funny you mention this. One of my partners owns a dual prop plane. He actually flew me up to Oregon to pick up the Duramax. Didn't take off or land it, but flew it basically the whole time in between. Fun flying over the Sierras and around Mount Shasta. Definitely appreciated the similarities to anesthesia.

It's an expensive hobby to say the least.

The convenience is second to none.

You guys are killing me... no Ferrari’s? Why did I choose this specialty :D

You guys are killing me... no Ferrari’s? Why did I choose this specialty :D

At our hospital, the CRNA car lineup is much more impressive than the anesthesiologist lineup. Their salaries keep going up and up, regardless of what happens to ours!

I rarely post here but when it comes to cars I can’t help myself.

The cost of buying and ownership of an exotic supercar will never make sound financial sense in most cases. I have been in private practice for over 20 years and have two kids in college now. Our house is paid off, no other loans and college for the kids has been saved up since they were born and covered.

I love sports cars!!!! When I bought my second sports car my kids asked if they would have to attend the local community college, haha. Anyway, I now own three reasonably priced sports cars. A highly modified pristine Honda S2000, fairly stock C6 Corvette ZO6, and an extremely rare Lotus Exige S260. These cars have been reliable and did not break the bank. The Corvette can definitely get me to 60mph in under 4 seconds. I rarely drive these cars to work and drive an old dirty Subaru Outback the majority of the time. My only regret is that my house doesn’t have a bigger garage.

On another note, to satisfy my urge for driving supercars I head to Las Vegas once a year to meet my stepdad. We go to a private race track/business that rents exotic cars for laps around the track. This reminds me every year that although these cars are fun to drive I don’t want to own one. I have been able to drive a Ferrari 458, Ferrari 488, McLaren MP4-12C, McLaren 570S, Lamborghini Aventador, Porsche GT3, C7 Corvette ZO6, the New Acura NSX, and an Audi R8 V10 plus. It’s still expensive to do this but doesn’t come close to the hassle of owning one. Pluss you get to bash the car around the track and not worry about damaging your car.

Reactions: 6 users
At our hospital, the CRNA car lineup is much more impressive than the anesthesiologist lineup. Their salaries keep going up and up, regardless of what happens to ours!

CRNA salaries aren't going up- where did you hear that?

CRNA salaries aren't going up- where did you hear that?

We are in a not so desirable area in Upstate NY. We need to stay competitive to recruit/retain quality CRNAs, so they get periodic raises. This may not be the case nationwide, but it's hard to recruit to our area.

IMG_9034.JPG

It’s my extremely fun (almost) daily driver. I just laugh when people make comments about how much it costs because in reality it cost less than most of the SUVs that people buy. Fun, fast, reliable and relatively inexpensive to operate.

Reactions: 5 users
When it comes to cars I tend to go for quantity. I currently have a 1998 Toyota Tacoma (daily driver), a 2006 Toyota Tundra (when I need 4wd or to pull stuff), a monster 1996 38 foot Ford RV (project to sell), and a 2005 Izuzu box truck (when I need to haul lots of stuff). My wife gets mad at me every time she looks at the driveway, but I got all four vehicles for a combined cost lower than a new Hyundai. New car smell is overrated.

We are in a not so desirable area in Upstate NY. We need to stay competitive to recruit/retain quality CRNAs, so they get periodic raises. This may not be the case nationwide, but it's hard to recruit to our area.

Gotcha.
We had a consultant come in late last year because we asked for a bigger subsidy, and he was telling me CRNA pay is going down year over year.
Just like with anesthesiologists I’m sure there are anecdotal cases where the trend is bucked, sorry to hear that’s the case up there.

Still driving my resident car (09 mazda 3 with the bigger engine and 5-speed). Living in SF makes splurges a little harder, but lately I’ve been contemplating a used 911. There are some model years that we’re less popular (and less reliable) and can be had for the price of a new Camry.

I love cars, but even I can't justify buying one of those monstrosities.... Especially after what VW has done to Lamborghini.

This is not what a Lamborghini looks like... so bland
USC50LGC051A01300.jpg

Soon to be attending. At the 10 year mark with 2008 G37.

I'd love to get another car in the next two years, but parking in NYC? ha. Imagine paying $1,000! A month just to park your car LOL.

my resident car was an 09 altima...134K miles - paid off. bought a 2015 used MB ML350, 27K miles...$500/month. good for going to the mountains, road tripping to vegas, and just looking good, LOL.