Car guys...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wut??? Anesthesiologists can actually afford nice things? Naw uhh

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 233259 Yes they are getting popular :rage:
But for good reason.
Never thought I’d be happy to pay sticker for a truck when I first started looking. But resell on them is crazy—I could probably sell it in 5 years and only lose about 15-20k from what I paid if the resell market stays similar.
I was concerned about the lack of towing but realized I don’t have anything that would really test it anyways. I’ll get a super duty if I ever get something big to tow
Noy, agree about the V6. Apparently they’re coming out with a turbo diesel and a Huge V8 next year but I bet those would add a hefty up charge to an already pricy truck

I wouldn't be sad if you posted a few more photos of your Raptor. Love that color

Reactions: 2 users
Currently driving a 98' mercury sable that was gifted to me for $1 while I was in high school. 130,000 miles. Just finishing up intern year. Praying it lasts until the end of fellowship. Nice to see that y'all can afford some toys when you are done.

I’m a classic man. My dream car is a rosso corsa 1992 512TR. I want to relive my childhood dream of driving in the La Jolla, California sunset with a hot blonde on my right and synthwave blasting. That or a Calsonic blue 1993 R32 GTR jacked up with full engine build.

I'm with you except F355 Berlinetta.

Reactions: 1 user
1103A4CB-56F5-4CBB-A7D8-D689482C3842.jpeg
4AE3ED39-D766-4465-8409-4CA1A34163D1.jpeg
I wouldn't be sad if you posted a few more photos of your Raptor. Love that color

Ask and you shall receive

Reactions: 5 users
So realistically, how much do these ortho guys make to be able to afford lambos/Ferrari’s? How much do you need to make for this to be a reasonable purchase? (Assuming one is debt free)

So realistically, how much do these ortho guys make to be able to afford lambos/Ferrari’s? How much do you need to make for this to be a reasonable purchase? (Assuming one is debt free)

The real question would be how much does a neurosurgeon make? I’m working with one today that has a Mcclaren, R8, 918 sypder, Raptor, amongst many other vehicles.

I’m guessing this dude is banking multiple millions a year. Probably 4ish.

Reactions: 1 users
The real question would be how much does a neurosurgeon make? I’m working with one today that has a Mcclaren, R8, 918 sypder, Raptor, amongst many other vehicles.

I’m guessing this dude is banking multiple millions a year. Probably 4ish.

Why those guys don't work for 5 years and then quit forever is beyond me.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A flippin' Dodge is the fastest car in the world right now... These are strange times we live in

I think one of these would be an amazing investment right now. Buy one, drive to a storage unit, park it in there, and don’t touch it for 20yrs. I guarantee it will outperform the market.

Maybe they like work and they like cars. There’s more to life than retirement.

I haven’t met many happy neurosurgeons/CT suregeons

A flippin' Dodge is the fastest car in the world right now... These are strange times we live in

How is the viper ACR not faster than this thing?

I'm pretty sure Porsche 918's have pulled off 2.2s 0-60's....but it's still crazy that a $90k dodge is even in the same ballpark as million dollar hypercars.

As long as there are no turns in the road.
Or slight changes in elevation... and God forbid if there's any morning dew

I'm pretty sure Porsche 918's have pulled off 2.2s 0-60's....but it's still crazy that a $90k dodge is even in the same ballpark as million dollar hypercars.
They cut some other corners. The vinyl Yugo caliber interior is nothing like the hand stitched albino endangered koala leather they put inside the Porsches and Ferrari.

The old Dodge Vipers are notoriously unforgiving at the limits of handling. They're uncomfortable and will cook your feet, too. Classic American muscle car street legal dragsters. Not my thing.

I want a S65 Benz. Ultimate luxury car with incredible power

I want a S65 Benz. Ultimate luxury car with incredible power
That’s a beast. I’m a big fan of the stealth mode crusher. No fancy exotic cars for me right now. Probably why I drive a sub 6.0sec 0-60 Tundra with 35” tires. Not that the Tundra is not a standout to some degree with the suspensions and tires. But nobody knows how much it can do. And that it will smoke most vehicles.

That’s a beast. I’m a big fan of the stealth mode crusher. No fancy exotic cars for me right now. Probably why I drive a sub 6.0sec 0-60 Tundra with 35” tires. Not that the Tundra is not a standout to some degree with the suspensions and tires. But nobody knows how much it can do. And that it will smoke most vehicles.

Tell me that thing doesn’t sound like a bawse?! It’s a friggin Mercedes. 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and heavy as heck

The old Dodge Vipers are notoriously unforgiving at the limits of handling. They're uncomfortable and will cook your feet, too. Classic American muscle car street legal dragsters. Not my thing.

Your mother always said that was too much car for you to handle. I guess maybe she was right.

4 seconds is the new 6. Camry’s and accord’s are sub 6 second cars these days. Back in the bad old 80s many Porsche’s couldn’t muster a 6 second 0-60 time.

Tell me that thing doesn’t sound like a bawse?! It’s a friggin Mercedes. 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and heavy as heck

Maybe I’m the weirdo here but I don’t want my luxury car to sound like a big cam’d hot rod. I’m not trying to announce to the neighborhood how big a jerk I am. I’m all about the luxury undercover sleeper though, so give me more of the exotic whine than the muscle pop n rumble.

Holy crap, I decided to google MSRP on that thing..... that’s Ferrari range. No way, I’ll take a Tesla S 100D with a home charger, a Raptor, and a boat for what that Benz costs.

I hate all of you

Holy crap, I decided to google MSRP on that thing..... that’s Ferrari range. No way, I’ll take a Tesla S 100D with a home charger, a Raptor, and a boat for what that Benz costs.

It drops about 100k at 1 yr and 5000mi.
That’s more my speed there.
One of my friends had a Bently Turbo R or whatever it was. Fastest Bentley ever, blah, blah, blah. Hand sewn Koala skin, etc. ;) ... 18 months and ~10000 miles, lost 52% of MSRP when he dumped it in perfect condition. That’s nuts.
I should have bought it. Lol.
But, it would depreciate to nothing. A nice Ferrari, etc. should stabilize out and retain some value, particularly if it’s some special edition. The older 911s seem be doing pretty well. My old buddy’s beater track car is now his garage queen.

--
Il Destriero

I used to love cars too but unfortunately the more I began to care about financial independence and an eventual exit plan from this game, the more an expensive car looked like a giant depreciating asset on my balance sheet.

I realize I’m being a big buzzkill, sorry.

Is it cool if I ask for your age (or approximation)? Why do you want out of the game?

This is a ridiculous question because everyone is different in all situations but when do people retire as anesthesiologist or physicians for that matter? Probably a question for those who actually know how to manage their life like an adult. I know a couple of older docs who say they can’t retire because they need money. Then there are docs who can’t retire because they love what they do and they’ll be bored every day. Another ED doc told me when I was doing rotations his predecessor was “forced out” because he’s too damn old.

Is it cool if I ask for your age (or approximation)? Why do you want out of the game?

This is a ridiculous question because everyone is different in all situations but when do people retire as anesthesiologist or physicians for that matter? Probably a question for those who actually know how to manage their life like an adult. I know a couple of older docs who say they can’t retire because they need money. Then there are docs who can’t retire because they love what they do and they’ll be bored every day. Another ED doc told me when I was doing rotations his predecessor was “forced out” because he’s too damn old.

I plan to work until my last child is in college (51). I have partners in their late 50s/early 60s taking full call and that is not my plan.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm hoping to get an BMW 530 e plug-in hybrid a few years from now during residency. After 4 years of residency, I'm hoping to start off my career as a physician with a Mercedes S-Class. Then, by the time I'm 35, I'm hoping to get a Nissan GTR or Porsche 911, and by the time I'm 40, a Rolls-Royce Ghost or Bentley Mulsanne (slightly used , for around 150K-200K). I'm not going to bust my ass off all these years to drive a Honda Accord or Honda Odyssey. I know minimum wage workers and Uber Drivers with nice late model Accords/Camrys (I currently have a 2013 Altima and am in Undergrad. Got it pre-owned for $10K. Many of my friends also have late model Sonata's, Corollas, Civics, etc.).

Not to downplay on the work that teachers do, but back in middle school, my history teacher gave me the keys to her brand new Mercedes E-Class Coupe (a $60K car) to fetch a pair of shoes for her. If my teacher can drive a Mercedes E- Class, I don't understand why I would ever drive a non-luxury car (maybe with the exception of the Nissan-GTR or Toyota Land Cruiser) as a physician making 4 times more!

My point:

If I can give 40% of my income to Uncle Sam, then I can also give 40% of my paycheck to the Lamborghini dealer.

I'm hoping to get an BMW 530 e plug-in hybrid a few years from now during residency. After 4 years of residency, I'm hoping to start off my career as a physician with a Mercedes S-Class. Then, by the time I'm 35, I'm hoping to get a Nissan GTR or Porsche 911, and by the time I'm 40, a Rolls-Royce Ghost or Bentley Mulsanne (slightly used , for around 150K-200K). I'm not going to bust my ass off all these years to drive a Honda Accord or Honda Odyssey. I know minimum wage workers and Uber Drivers with nice late model Accords/Camrys (I currently have a 2013 Altima and am in Undergrad. Got it pre-owned for $10K. Many of my friends also have late model Sonata's, Corollas, Civics, etc.).

Not to downplay on the work that teachers do, but back in middle school, my history teacher gave me the keys to her brand new Mercedes E-Class Coupe (a $60K car) to fetch a pair of shoes for her. If my teacher can drive a Mercedes E- Class, I don't understand why I would ever drive a non-luxury car (maybe with the exception of the Nissan-GTR or Toyota Land Cruiser) as a physician making 4 times more!

My point:

If I can give 40% of my income to Uncle Sam, then I can also give 40% of my paycheck to the Lamborghini dealer.

-Richanesthesiologist more like poorcollegestudent

Reactions: 3 users

My point:

Sounds like you have it all figured out. Just don’t end up with wife #3 along with luxury car #4...tends to cut down on the extra car spending money.

Last edited:

a different perspective:

i dont think spending this kind of money on a car is reasonable at any level of income, am i alone in this? the car is the machine of the previous generation.. dont knock honda, its cheap, reliable, gets you where you want to go, and if there is an issue its cheap and easy to fix or replace. i personally would never spend my hard earned money on an antiquated machine with high cost to maintain just so i can show off. id rather take a nice vacation or save the cash

a different perspective:

i dont think spending this kind of money on a car is reasonable at any level of income, am i alone in this? the car is the machine of the previous generation.. dont knock honda, its cheap, reliable, gets you where you want to go, and if there is an issue its cheap and easy to fix or replace. i personally would never spend my hard earned money on an antiquated machine with high cost to maintain just so i can show off. id rather take a nice vacation or save the cash

I agree unless you're a real enthusiast and actually plan on tracking your exotic occasionally. Everyone else with some disposable income is better served getting something like an E63 AMG S 4-matic that can function as a practical daily, has a backseat for kids, gets around in the snow and rain, is a third of the price of a ferrari, has aftermarket warranties available, but is also ridiculously quick.

teCp7qK.png

Chris Harris Drives: flat out in the Mercedes-AMG E63 S

My point:

How To Get Rich By Driving a $5,000 Car | The White Coat Investor - Investing And Personal Finance for Doctors

a different perspective:

If you have the money and it’s not going to set you back financially, why not? To each their own, you only live once