This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaCubaniche

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a few courses that I received a C in and would like to retake them. The CCs in Florida do not allow retakes (and I am not sure if Florida Universities are the same, still waiting on a response).
How are other Floridians retaking courses of C or better?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I have a few courses that I received a C in and would like to retake them. The CCs in Florida do not allow retakes (and I am not sure if Florida Universities are the same, still waiting on a response).
How are other Floridians retaking courses of C or better?

You can take them at a different school.

Reactions: 1 user
You can take them at a different school.
That's what I want to do.....
but I am being told by community colleges that it's state law that I cannot retake courses where I've received a C or better. I know UF (where I graduated last August) allows this based on certain circumstances.

I read all the time in the forums that people are retaking courses at CCs when they previously got a C or C+, so why can't I? Is there a special way to register for this? I've been registering as a non-degree seeking student, which is what my pre-med advisor told me to do. Is that incorrect?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I want to do.....
but I am being told by community colleges that it's state law that I cannot retake courses where I've received a C or better. I know UF (where I graduated last August) allows this based on certain circumstances.

I read all the time in the forums that people are retaking courses at CCs when they previously got a C or C+, so why can't I? Is there a special way to register for this? I've been registering as a non-degree seeking student, which is what my pre-med advisor told me to do. Is that incorrect?
If you go to a different FL state college/university you can often get away with it, if you have the right advisor sign off. I did it for chem and bio. It helps if the course numbers are different. That said, don't expect transfer of credits to be easy if you haven't yet completed your associate or bachelors. So finish you degree first.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
If you go to a different FL state college/university you can often get away with it, if you have the right advisor sign off. I did it for chem and bio. It helps if the course numbers are different. That said, don't expect transfer of credits to be easy if you haven't yet completed your associate or bachelors. So finish you degree first.

Thanks for the tip. I already have my degree (graduated last August). So would you recommend seeing an adviser and sort of petitioning it?

Thanks for the tip. I already have my degree (graduated last August). So would you recommend seeing an adviser and sort of petitioning it?
Register at a diff school for whatever degree and see if you can register/take the class automatically. Many schools require you to speak with an advisor the first registration, but some don't. At the same school odds are good the reply will stay no.

If you've taken these classes a few years ago, you can tell the enrollment office that the school you're applying to has a 4-5 year recency for their science courses. In many CCs they will allow you to enroll in classes you've already passed for this reason.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a current sophomore at CC and dealt with something similar. My CC only allows retakes for classes that have below a C.

I screwed up two classes:
Elementary Algebra with a C+
College Algebra with a C+

I had terrible teachers who were out to fail their students, and I'm able to prove it with my 4.0 in calculus (along with a 4.0 in every other class besides the aforementioned). If you can't do anything about retaking, just do well in upper level classes of the same subject.
A word of wisdom, don't use the terrible teacher excuse with any adcom.

Just in case anyone else comes across the same problem, it seems like all state colleges in the state of Florida do not allow you to retake courses (post-graduation, as a non-degree seeking student) that you have already passed with C or above. Seems to be a state law, at least that is how it was explained to me. There may be ways around this but as far as going the non-degree seeking route, it does not work at state colleges.

For now I am retaking courses at my Alma Mater as a non-degree seeking student, which is a bit pricey but it is what it is.
Thanks for the help everyone! :)

Register at a diff school for whatever degree and see if you can register/take the class automatically. Many schools require you to speak with an advisor the first registration, but some don't. At the same school odds are good the reply will stay no.

p.s. I did it at a FL school. It takes some minor creativity in finding a different state school with the same course but different prefix/#'s but it works. It helps to be degree seeking (go for a second BS degree in something else similar) as the advisers are more cooperative if you do.

I'm a little late to comment here, but check the catalog carefully. In California, they don't allow you to retake unless 3 years have passed.