2022-2023 Midwestern University (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to everyone who received an acceptance to CCOM! Do you guys think they still have seats left for this cycle or are they most likely interviewing for the alternate list now?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations to everyone who received an acceptance to CCOM! Do you guys think they still have seats left for this cycle or are they most likely interviewing for the alternate list now?
I think they'll have seats although they didn't say much if anything at all during my interview. but they did say theyre only 50% of the way through their interview season!

Reactions: 1 users
Got the email and a call this afternoon! I’m gonna be a doctor!! I interviewed 1/19 so that’s pretty quick!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the A today!! Interviewed 1/23. Is there a group chat for accepted students?

• Love
Got the A yesterday and interviewed on 1/23 too. Is there a group chat for accepted students??

• Love
Accepted yesterday as well after an interview earlier in January! Congratulations to everyone else that got the call!

First acceptance :love:

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hey all! I got accepted to CCOM in December, but am debating whether or not I want to go. I am a bit concerned about missing out on research while at CCOM. I'm interested in doing a research gap year at some point during med school and was curious if current students had any insight about how students could get involved given that CCOM itself doesn't have any major research facilities. Is it possible to do a gap year in that capacity or maybe get involved with one of the other Chicago schools that have more established research divisions?

Hey all! I got accepted to CCOM in December, but am debating whether or not I want to go. I am a bit concerned about missing out on research while at CCOM. I'm interested in doing a research gap year at some point during med school and was curious if current students had any insight about how students could get involved given that CCOM itself doesn't have any major research facilities. Is it possible to do a gap year in that capacity or maybe get involved with one of the other Chicago schools that have more established research divisions?
I know a few people who are current students who had plenty opportunities to work with other schools in the area in terms of research. CCOM definitely provides those connections but that's just from personal friends I know. If you'd like to learn specifics or more in-depth I wouldn't know much :/

can any current students speak on their experience so far here? Do you like the grading system? Are yall satisfied with your professors and classes so far? thanks !!

To anyone who is applying this cycle and has gotten a response from CCOM or is even remotely considering it...I would highly advise you AGAINST applying here. I am a third year student who has been absolutely mangled by how atrocious the scheduling system and curriculum is at this school. I have not spoken to a single one of my colleagues thus far who haven't said they regret coming to this school. The students are at a huge tension point with the administration right now because of how poorly we are treated. This school will put you through hell and back with how inconsiderate they are of your sanity and mental health. I wish I listened sooner and went to my other option as I guarantee I wouldve been happier. The quarter system, the short 4 weeks of dedicated, and lack of attention from teachers, the grading AND ranking system, and the weekly examinations are all enough to convince you against applying or attending here. All this for a ridiculous tuition of 80k a year. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but all of you need to know the truth, do not sacrifice your sanity for this hell hole of a school.

Read this and the next couple of long posts

Members don't see this ad :)
there's definitely a good amount of research on campus and there's also a big research symposium day on campus every spring. during the summer between M1 and M2 you can apply for a research fellowship which is an on-campus research opportunity. there truly is so much research on campus BUT it's all basic science research or research using cadavers. if you're looking for clinical research, yeah, ccom doesn't really have that so you have to find those opportunities yourself :/

can any current students speak on their experience so far here? Do you like the grading system? Are yall satisfied with your professors and classes so far? thanks !!
current first year, truthfully I don't mind the grading system - granted, I'm not gunning for an uber-competitive specialty, so I pretty much treat our letter grade system as pass/fail - as long as I get above a 70%, I'm golden lol

as for the testing schedule, yeah, we get tested a LOT and spend a lot of time in the testing center. they cap it at two exams per week but quizzes are separate from exams, so like there's some weeks we have 2 exams and 2 quizzes

the professors overall are pretty great - they all have an open-door policy and really do seem to care about us. for example, I failed an anatomy exam last quarter and the professors reached out to me to go over study strategies and make sure I was good to go for the next one. some departments are better and more organized than others but again, overall, I feel like the issues we have are similar to issues that could be at any med school

Anyone else worried about the cost of attendance? Definitely on the higher end.

Reactions: 2 users
it lowkey makes so sense compared to other schools lol
It's SUPER high, but also it's pretty much in line with a lot of schools' out-of-state tuitions/some private schools' tuitions too. For some reason, schools in Illinois in particular seem to have ridiculous tuition. Even their state school tuition for in-state students is higher than the out-of-state tuition for many schools in neighboring states, and that is a big reason why schools in Iowa, Wisconsin, etc have SO many applicants from Illinois every year.

It's SUPER high, but also it's pretty much in line with a lot of schools' out-of-state tuitions/some private schools' tuitions too. For some reason, schools in Illinois in particular seem to have ridiculous tuition. Even their state school tuition for in-state students is higher than the out-of-state tuition for many schools in neighboring states, and that is a big reason why schools in Iowa, Wisconsin, etc have SO many applicants from Illinois every year.
im an IL resident and thats one thing I HATEE about the IL schools.

R just now. Oh no you mean I won't be in half a million dollars of debt by the time I'm done with medical school? How terrible -_-

Just got an email that saying that they are still interviewing, and if I am still interested to reply to the email??? I already sent my secondary in so I am really confused

So why did you apply?
Because it's a great school and it's in a state that's close to my home state! I would prefer to attend my state school, but of course I applied to several out of state schools that will all cost me highly. I'm also still trying to figure out why Illinois is so special that all their schools are significantly more costly for in-state applicants, not just out-of-state, compared to other states in the Midwest. That's still a mystery to me.

Because it's a great school and it's in a state that's close to my home state! I would prefer to attend my state school, but of course I applied to several out of state schools that will all cost me highly. I'm also still trying to figure out why Illinois is so special that all their schools are significantly more costly for in-state applicants, not just out-of-state, compared to other states in the Midwest. That's still a mystery to me.
Then don’t complain

• Dislike
Then don’t complain
So it is your opinion that people are not allowed to change their opinion of schools after they apply to them, and after they find out new information that they were previously unaware of such as very high cost of attendance? Please keep this attitude to yourself and do not try to police what thoughts and opinions people are and are not allowed to express on this forum.

Also, have you read any other pages or posts on SDN? People literally use this as a safe place to anonymously complain and commiserate about various med school things to other med school people. If you don't like it, that is nobody else's problem except your own.

Last edited:
Downers Grove is a VERY rich suburban environment. Take a trip around the suburb and you’ll see exactly what I mean when you see the houses. CCOM is located in the center of it basically which is why they can charge such high tuition

Downers Grove is a VERY rich suburban environment. Take a trip around the suburb and you’ll see exactly what I mean when you see the houses. CCOM is located in the center of it basically which is why they can charge such high tuition
Thank you for the response, for giving me new info, and for being respectful. I do appreciate it.

So it is your opinion that people are not allowed to change their opinion of schools after they apply to them, and after they find out new information that they were previously unaware of such as very high cost of attendance? Please keep this attitude to yourself and do not try to police what thoughts and opinions people are and are not allowed to express on this forum.

Also, have you read any other pages or posts on SDN? People literally use this as a safe place to anonymously complain and commiserate about various med school things to other med school people. If you don't like it, that is nobody else's problem except your own.
Yes you are all over the place, tiramisu

Maybe if you ask politely they give you a discount! Or a free tiramisu hahah

Moderator note: Sarcasm doesn't translate well on this message board, so I'm going to ask the back & forth squabbling to stop now.

By the way, if you don't want to see someone's comments, you can ignore their posts by using the "Ignore" button which you can see when you hover your mouse pointer over their username.

Carry on kindly

Pre-II R today. Submitted my secondary earlier this month tho so hella late. I only did it cause I was bored and had fee assistance anyways lol

Do any current students have any insight on where to live? Do a lot of people move downtown after 2nd year?