2022-2023 Midwestern University (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+3 interviewed 2/14

Members don't see this ad.

Just got the call! I’d really love to go to CCOM, but I’ve been seeing a lot of negative things in this thread …. will someone PLEASE tell me something good??

Reactions: 1 user
Are any current CCOM students available to answer some questions I have about the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the call! I’d really love to go to CCOM, but I’ve been seeing a lot of negative things in this thread …. will someone PLEASE tell me something good??
Honestly, as an accepted student i'm not too worried about it. You're always going to get the extremes of people complaining about each school. try to find a current student to pick their brain on their experiences.

does anyone have any recommendations or opinions for housing? on campus vs off? any good recommendations for off campus apartments?

Are admissions for the Arizona and Chicago campuses completely separate? Are they totally different schools or is the curriculum and other things pretty much the same, but the campuses are just in different locations? Also, knowing that CCOM is a private institution, does anybody know if being IS or OOS has made much of a difference in their chances? I was under the impression that state residency doesn't matter when applying to a private school, but I've been seeing that everyone posts IS or OOS or asks about their residency status even on pages for private schools.

Are admissions for the Arizona and Chicago campuses completely separate? Are they totally different schools or is the curriculum and other things pretty much the same, but the campuses are just in different locations? Also, knowing that CCOM is a private institution, does anybody know if being IS or OOS has made much of a difference in their chances? I was under the impression that state residency doesn't matter when applying to a private school, but I've been seeing that everyone posts IS or OOS or asks about their residency status even on pages for private schools.
To my knowledge admissions for AZ/IL are separate. Idk if there is a curriculum difference though.

In terms of admissions chances, I remember seeing CCOM post-interview acceptance rate was very similar for OOS and IS. Actually may have even been higher for OOS. I have zero ties to the midwest as a whole let alone specifically Illinois/Chicago. I think people ask IS/OOS just to get more information to see how similar they are to other applicants who got interviews or accepted etc

yep, completely separate admissions!

I think curriculum is pretty similar? but I know AZCOM has ultrasound integrated into their curriculum and CCOM does not (there is an ultrasound elective tho)

IS/OOS doesn't really matter for private schools - I'd say a really good chunk of our class is OOS or not even from the Midwest

Hey is there anyone in the Accepted Students Groupme that could DM me the link to join? I believe there was one made some time back

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone have any recommendations or opinions for housing? on campus vs off? any good recommendations for off campus apartments?
I grew pretty close to here- feel free to DM me if you want to know about the area

II today! Anyone who interviewed, how was your experience? How long was your actual interview and how long was the whole interview day? Mine starts at 9 am EST. I really like this school and Chicago would be a great place to do clinical rotations.

II today! Anyone who interviewed, how was your experience? How long was your actual interview and how long was the whole interview day? Mine starts at 9 am EST. I really like this school and Chicago would be a great place to do clinical rotations.
Can you share the dates you were offered? Patiently waiting for a II!

For CCOM, it was very chill. They just asked me the general questions, and then some about my CV / Resume. They did not have any information on my primary application just my secondary. My interview was from like 8 AM - 1PM. You get a break after your interview for like 30 minutes I think. Other than the price tag, this school is great. Heavy testing and quizzing but I would attend this school if I don't get any other IS offers.

Does anyone know if CCOM has mandatory attendance for preclinicals?
Lectures are not mandatory. Things like Labs (anatomy/omm), small groups, and grand rounds are mandatory.

just withdrew my A, hopefully it goes to one of you!

Does anyone know when CCOM releases their match statistics?

Can any current students speak to the value of the precision medicine prorgram (MSc and Post grad certificate) and how much residency programs look at something like this?

Just saw these RESIDENCY rankings. CCOM is not on Top med schools (Top 124) any more. It appears it also slipped in the top primary care school rankings in the country.

Just saw these RESIDENCY rankings. CCOM is not on Top med schools (Top 124) any more. It appears it also slipped in the top primary care school rankings in the country.

I’m just not sure if I trust these just like the USNWR rankings

Can anyone speak the difference between CCOM and AZCOM..? It seems like AZCOM has better rotation sites

Can someone dm me the groupme link for admitted students please? Thanks in advance!

A this morning !!!

Could I please get the link for the admitted students group chat? Thanks in advance

Interviewed 3/20 and put on the alternate list today. Super surprised at such a fast turn around???

Graduated from CCOM 2-3 years ago. Some of the posts on here are quite a bit hysterical and in my opinion somewhat off base. Some more info on me is that I matched into a competitive specialty in a large academic center in a big city (not trying to dox myself so I won’t be too specific).

Rotations: In my opinion, the rotations this school offers are the best of all the DO schools (we essentially share 95% of the same sites as Rosalind franklin MD school). You have a choice of pretty much any community hospital in the Chicagoland area, obviously, it’s a ranking system but most people get a majority of places they want. Recommend Cook County, Masonic, Lutheran, and/or Christ if you want a more academic feel in a community hospital. The only downside I will say is that if you are applying to a competitive residency you will have to go a bit more out of your way to create rotations at academic sites in the specialty you want. Can always do VSAS end of 3rd year to set up academic hospital rotations for 4th year which is what I did. This will be difficult at every DO school though and is just part of the price of going to a DO school.

Research: For a DO school there are a lot of opportunities for research at the labs and plenty of conferences to present abstracts and posters. They even offer a research fellowship M1 summer break that pays u like 5k to do research, that’s what I did, and it worked great, had 3+ pubs applying to residency. Some of the hospitals you rotate at have conferences, including research opportunities if you find the right people. A big part of research is finding a PI that publishes. Do not do research for a PI who hasn’t published in a while, do research for someone who produces!!! Do your own research on these people.

Professors: They are all nice and cool with an open-door policy if you need help. Idk I didn’t struggle academically so I never interacted with them much. Usually just skipped lectures, did my own studying, passed the tests, and went on with my life.

Area/Campus: You pay big money and you can tell cause the campus is very clean and nice and the Downers Grove area is super safe and nice too. Can live in Chicago and commute from the city if that’s your vibe, although be prepared to shell out massive loans to do that. During 3rd and 4th year most people live in Chicago because rotations are closer that way. I lived with my Dad who is in Chicago during my first two years to make the loan burden less of a concern.

Loans: Yeah, it’s really expensive, way overpriced for I guess the cost of the rotations? Everyone knows this and I won’t disagree. Admin people can be useless and difficult at times.

Grading: Still uses the old school A-F system and bombards you with tests and quizzes nonstop during the first two years. Although technically only giving you 4 weeks for dedicated, no one should be beginning to study for boards during those 4 weeks. I essentially started Anki start of the M2 year and was pretty much studying for boards all year, ignoring school material as best I could cause residencies don’t care about class grades as long as you don’t fail. This method has probably changed a ton since step 1 became pass/fail which imo makes DO less enticing. Just buy 3rd part resources like everyone else and do Anki during 2nd year. Make sure to take the Step exams!

OMM: Hate this ****. School thankfully doesn’t beat you over the head with it as much as the other DO schools do apparently. Still, a pain in the ass but you get to give good massages that your significant other will appreciate.

Final comments: Med school is what you make of it. I went in wanting a competitive residency that is not DO-friendly so I knew I had to do research and kill the Step exams. I did that and matched exactly where I wanted so I had no regrets.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users