CCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello folks. I'm a 3rd year student at CCOM and I just wanted to share my experience with y'all as well: I applied super late (right before Christmas) and interviewed on one of the last few interview days. I thought I didn't have any chance of being accepted when they said in the interview that almost all the seats were filled and of course I got the wait-list letter a few weeks later.
I know of a lot of people who use CCOM as a backup to allopathic medical schools so people start being called on the wait-list like crazy late Spring/early Summer when people with acceptance offers decide to go elsewhere. I got my acceptance call in the beginning of June.

For those who have CCOM as their #1 choice: you're making the right move. Having been here for 3 years and rotating at various hospitals in the Chicago-land area, no one gives a %#*#! what school you're from (for those who keep thinking of DO vs MD). All people care about is how much you know (i.e. your grasp of the basic and clinical sciences) and how well you treat your patients. Also, the match list for the CCOM 2014 class is impressive to say the least - with people getting in to competitive residencies like optho, derm, ortho, neuro-surg and urology. Some folks matched in to Mayo, Cleveland clinic and U of C, just to name a few.......

Hello folks. I'm a 3rd year student at CCOM and I just wanted to share my experience with y'all as well: I applied super late (right before Christmas) and interviewed on one of the last few interview days. I thought I didn't have any chance of being accepted when they said in the interview that almost all the seats were filled and of course I got the wait-list letter a few weeks later.
I know of a lot of people who use CCOM as a backup to allopathic medical schools so people start being called on the wait-list like crazy late Spring/early Summer when people with acceptance offers decide to go elsewhere. I got my acceptance call in the beginning of June.

For those who have CCOM as their #1 choice: you're making the right move. Having been here for 3 years and rotating at various hospitals in the Chicago-land area, no one gives a %#*#! what school you're from (for those who keep thinking of DO vs MD). All people care about is how much you know (i.e. your grasp of the basic and clinical sciences) and how well you treat your patients. Also, the match list for the CCOM 2014 class is impressive to say the least - with people getting in to competitive residencies like optho, derm, ortho, neuro-surg and urology. Some folks matched in to Mayo, Cleveland clinic and U of C, just to name a few.......

Awesome to hear! Thanks for this news for the current class of 2016

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know when April interviewees will be notified of their admissions status?

Does anybody know when April interviewees will be notified of their admissions status?

They usually meet around the 20th or 21st of every month from what I've heard. So next week I would assume! Good luck :thumbup:

Thanks for this post. I have gone through the match list for this year and agree that it has some really solid matches in it. For reference, do you know how many people have gotten into derm in the last few years? I can't find any match data, since the intermediate year makes the data hard to find.

Just got accepted! :)

Interviewed: March 19th
Waitlisted: March 22nd
Accepted via email: April 18th

Has anybody who interviewed in April received a decision notification yet?

Has anybody who interviewed in April received a decision notification yet?

Since it's known the committee already met, they usually automatically send out the acceptances (portal/email). Waitlists and rejections go through snail mail so people probably won't get those until late this week/early next week. Not saying that it's definitely not an acceptance for you (not trying to be a debbie downer!), but that's what I would assume at this point if nothing is on the portal. Email/call admissions and ask if you don't want to wait the weekend - that's what I did because I just got antsy! Good luck :thumbup:

Yep. Just called admissions. She wouldn't confirm or deny anything, but letters have been sent out and no portal change over here. No worries, though. My c/o 2017 application should be ready to go after this weekend, so all I have to do is copy,paste, and submit. I'm hoping that getting in the game WAY earlier this coming cycle will make enough of a difference to push me over the edge from waitlists to acceptances.

It is a bit of a shock, though, when you realize that you just went through your first cycle without an acceptance.

Last edited:
Yep. Just called admissions. She wouldn't confirm or deny anything, but letters have been sent out and no portal change over here. No worries, though. My c/o 2017 application should be ready to go after this weekend, so all I have to do is copy,paste, and submit. I'm hoping that getting in the game WAY earlier this coming cycle will make enough of a difference to push me over the edge from waitlists to acceptances.

It is a bit of a shock, though, when you realize that you just went through your first cycle without a single acceptance.

I went through the same thing last year. Keep your head up and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea how many people are on the alternate list currently? I'm curious to know what percentage of interviewers get put on it.

Interviewed last week and was advised by admissions that the committee has met and the letter should be received by next week! did the portal change for anyone yet?

any new acceptances??:confused:

there were a couple people last week that posted they were accepted. if you get an acceptance, it's emailed/portal changed right after the meeting (those people should have heard last week then). if you're waitlisted or rejected, that's what comes in the letter :(

fixed :)

Last edited:
For those of you interested in timing...just got a rejection letter in the mail two days ago...dated April 20th. No surprise as I had just accepted at AZCOM a couple weeks before. Good luck to you all!

For those of you interested in timing...just got a rejection letter in the mail two days ago...dated April 20th. No surprise as I had just accepted at AZCOM a couple weeks before. Good luck to you all!

They took a while to get back to you. I got mine almost a week ago. Either way, see you in Glendale.

Last edited:
Just had my first encounter with financial aid administrators at this school.. I am wondering if picking this school was a wise decision. I cannot believe how I am paying all this money and being disrespected already :-( I hope this is a fluke. Any current students care to share their experiences with the financial aid "advisors." Positive or negative PM me please.

What happened? I spoke with one of the representatives when I filled out my FAFSA application and she was very nice. Could have been a fluke, either way.

For all those accepted, the financial aid award letters are out (at least myself and a handful of others have received them).

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone from the alternate list heard anything yet from the school?

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone from the alternate list heard anything yet from the school?
I interviewed on April 13th and was placed on alternate list. i got an acceptance yesterday!!!

I interviewed on April 13th and was placed on alternate list. i got an acceptance yesterday!!!

Congratulations! Its good to hear that there is movement on the alternate list!!

congratulations! :thumbup: what (if anything) did you do to try and get off of the waitlist?

congratulations! :thumbup: what (if anything) did you do to try and get off of the waitlist?

I didn't do anything since i heard back middle of April on my interview decision and was surprised I got off the waitlist so quick.

I was complete with my application in September and didn't interview until the last interview day, but in order to get an interview, I sent in additional letters of recommendation, updates and a letter of interest. I think it's important to let the school know if it's your top choice and that you are interested in going.

Yes i will be accepting the acceptance!!:D

Congrats! I am also on the alternate list. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your stats? Thanks!

Will withdraw tomorrow… Good luck to all! :D

Just got the call! Interviewed April 9th, waitlisted two weeks later. CCOM here I come!

Congrats! Mind if i ask your stats? Impatient waiter over here :confused:

Sure thing! 3.7 sci, 3.8 nonsci, 27 mcat (retake). I have a lot of ECs but the most important thing is that I took the year off to work in a research lab full time.

While I was on the waitlist I submitted an updated resume, letter of intent and another letter of reccomendation. Who knows how much all of that helped but I submitted it last week so if it did, that was a pretty quick turnaround!

hope that helps! good luck :xf:

Sure thing! 3.7 sci, 3.8 nonsci, 27 mcat (retake). I have a lot of ECs but the most important thing is that I took the year off to work in a research lab full time.

While I was on the waitlist I submitted an updated resume, letter of intent and another letter of reccomendation. Who knows how much all of that helped but I submitted it last week so if it did, that was a pretty quick turnaround!

hope that helps! good luck :xf:

Thanks for the info! Congratulations! :thumbup::thumbup:

Anyone know if you can do a neurology rotation at CCOM? I'm really interested in the field.

Anyone know if you can do a neurology rotation at CCOM? I'm really interested in the field.

I believe there is a neurosurgery residency at Stroger Cook County Hospital through CCOM. Its part of their OPTI

I believe there is a neurosurgery residency at Stroger Cook County Hospital through CCOM. Its part of their OPTI
Yeah, I know that, but I'm talking about neurology, not neurosurgery. They don't have a neurology residency, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience about doing a neurology rotation there (I'm interested in neurology).

Looks like I will be joining everyone this Fall in Downer's Grove! Just got the call this morning.

Edit: I'm sure it's been asked, but who do we contact about on-campus housing? It'd be a miracle if anything is still available, but I might as well at least ask.

BTW, don't give up hope if you are on the waitlist, and update! I got a call literally within 12 hours of sending in an LOI.

Last edited:
Looks like I will be joining everyone this Fall in Downer's Grove! Just got the call this morning.

Edit: I'm sure it's been asked, but who do we contact about on-campus housing? It'd be a miracle if anything is still available, but I might as well at least ask.

BTW, don't give up hope if you are on the waitlist, and update! I got a call literally within 12 hours of sending in an LOI.

Congrats! That's a quick turn around! Do you mind if I ask what you included in your LOI??

Yeah, I know that, but I'm talking about neurology, not neurosurgery. They don't have a neurology residency, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience about doing a neurology rotation there (I'm interested in neurology).
My daughter just finished her second year at CCOM and will be starting rotations next week. She was able to set up a neurology rotation in an elective block. Hope that helps.

Does anyone know how CCOM picks their candidates off of their alternate list? I know the list isn't ranked... so do they just do a review of everyone, every week?

Does anyone know how CCOM picks their candidates off of their alternate list? I know the list isn't ranked... so do they just do a review of everyone, every week?

I second this question :( I know they pulled off the list last Thursday and also the week before (I think that Wednesday?) but haven't heard of anything happening this week. I wish I knew how they chose...