Chance of getting into a UC and its difficulty based on my stats?

Unlucky Asian

not unlucky, possibly asian
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know you guys probably get this a lot, but I didn't think that asking this in someone else's thread would be cool. I'd like a general idea of the difference between typical high school and college workloads. I'm pretty sure I can get into a UC with a 1900 SAT and ACT score that is coming in soon, but I don't really know what to expect when I get there. Class rank wise, I'm not really that high up there with a 199/558 unweighted and 182/558 weighted.

So far, I've only finished 3 AP classes in Junior year, and my Senior year has me enrolled for 5, but one of them is computer science and I don't really plan on taking the test for it. My freshman year wasn't too bad, but my sophomore year pretty much killed my GPA because I got some C's in the first semester. Those C's were in Honors English 10, Spanish 3, and Honors Chem, mostly because either I didn't pay attention/was too lazy or the teacher didn't explain it very well and I was too dumb to think of looking it up. Overall, I've gotten mostly B's with some A's, which made my unweighted GPA a 3.475 and my weighted a 3.675.

AP Bio - 4
AP Lang & Comp - 4
AP US History - 3

Currently taking AP Lit & Comp, AP Calc AB, AP Micro/Macro Economics, and AP Computer Science as my college level classes, with P.E. and Ceramics for my high school requirements. Calc AB and Micro/Macro Econ will be done through Unitrack, which allows my certified teachers to give me CSU credit based on class grade so I don't have to take those exams.

The only things I've really done that aren't academics at school would be Forensics/Debate for 3 years and Asian club for 4 years.

I've done some community service at my local temples (Buddhist) and I think Reddit probably counts since I help out on /r/buildapc and /r/suggestalaptop.

I don't really study that much, but I'm working on it right now by at least getting myself to watch review videos on things I don't understand. I hear that keeping yourself actually doing the work is the hard part of college. Is that true? I just want to get myself as ready as I can for the long haul through college and onward. :hello:

Members don't see this ad.

You should be pretty solidly competitive for some UCs (Irvine, Riverside, Santa Cruz, maybe Davis and Santa Barbara). Berkeley UCLA and UCSD are less likely.
College is harder than high school. More work, and it's harder work. Yes you need to be organized and stay on top of your work. People often have terrible freshman years because they procrastinate or are disorganized and end up missing exams, trying to write 12-15 page papers the night before, etc. Make a google calendar or other schedule where you track your assignments and appointments, make sure you do not let too much pile up for the same week.

I'm a senior as well. UCs are getting super competitive to get into...our college counselor is extremely pessimistic about our chances. My GPA is around the same as yours, but my SAT is 2150+. He used to be on the admissions committee for UCSC and told me I'm probably getting wait listed by Davis and denied at UCLA and Cal. :/ But the only people who can properly "chance" you are the actual adcoms. Just apply broadly and see what happens!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a senior as well. UCs are getting super competitive to get into...our college counselor is extremely pessimistic about our chances. My GPA is around the same as yours, but my SAT is 2150+. He used to be on the admissions committee for UCSC and told me I'm probably getting wait listed by Davis and denied at UCLA and Cal. :/ But the only people who can properly "chance" you are the actual adcoms. Just apply broadly and see what happens!
Your GPA is on the low end, true. But UCLA's 25th %tile SAT score is ~1910 and her 75th is ~2270. I think you have a solid chance.
http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/prospect/adm_fr/Frosh_Prof14.htm

Last edited: