This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blanquito720

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm planning to apply to a structured post-baccalaureate program for the 2017-2018 cycle. My big hope is for Johns Hopkins, Goucher, Scripps, or Bryn Mawr. I would love any feedback that anyone could provide to improve my chances as a candidate. Also, just because I think someone might mention it, I am, for many reasons, unable to complete the pre-med requirements at my present university. Here goes:

Institution: Second semester junior at a Top 30 University, studying Brain and Cognitive Science (B.S.) and Psychology (B.A.)

SAT: 2080

GPA: 3.80 (worth noting that excluding the first semester of my freshman year, the GPA is a 3.98)

Clinical Experiences: EMT-B, part of my collegiate EMS agency (running for E-Board this spring), will soon also be joining a local EMS service, worked as a surgical aid in the OR of a hospital.

Research: Conduct and supervise LSIs (Life Stress Interviews) with at-risk populations for emotional turmoil (and deal with all the data, sensitive material, coding, and biological samples associated with it; I'm the head RA in this clinical psychology lab), worked in developmental psychology lab doing video coding, and spent a semester working in a social psychology lab). Getting started in a lab that focuses on brain imaging (not sure on all the details of that yet).

Shadowing: Hoping to shadow a ER physician, getting started on that process

Other Work Experience: Spent 6 months working in a group home with intellectually impaired clients.

Other: Program in Python Platform, play ultimate frisbee in my free time

Why Medicine: Split interests in multiple fields of medicine (psychiatry, radiology, and EM) resulting from collegiate experiences (interviewing: psychiatry, EMS: emergency medicine, and extensive neuroscience courework/brain imaging: radiology). Prior interest in research has been overtaken by the witnessed positive outcomes of my commitment to these experiences in medicine.

So what do you think? I plan on applying to all the ones listed at the beginning as well as UVA, Georgetown, Boston, Tufts, NYU, Columbia, and Vermont. Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.