Chances of getting into NOVA med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billmo90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys So here are my stats:
3.2 cumulative gpa
3.2 science gpa
29 on the MCAT
I have 6 months of research, 1 year of volunteering at a hospital, and about 50 hours of shadowing...

I'm thinking about applying this upcoming cycle, do you guys know if my stats are competitive for NOVA, or any other schools taking people with my stats??

Members don't see this ad.

Before the cliche 'anything's possible' replies start rolling in, and with very limited true understanding of the admissions process at NSU, the truth is that your MCAT is a hair above average while your grades are below average. However, I didn't think I'd hear back from them and yet applied anyway, and will be forever grateful that I did. In the end, what do you have to lose?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any cadidate's chances of getting into a given single med school are pretty low, especially when their stats and ECs are below average. Apply broadly.

3.2 cumulative gpa
3.2 science gpa
29 on the MCAT
I have 6 months of research, 1 year of volunteering at a hospital, and about 50 hours of shadowing...

I'm thinking about applying this upcoming cycle, do you guys know if my stats are competitive for NOVA, or any other schools taking people with my stats??

From what I've seen and experienced, NSU prefers a higher MCAT so you're good there. Yeah, your GPA's are below average but I honestly don't think it'll matter too much. Definitely won't kill your chances. Do you have anything else besides the research, volunteering, and shadowing?

Simple answer: why not? If you have the money to spend, wouldn't you rather apply and get a denial than not apply and wonder if you would've got accepted?

Just seems like OP wants people to hand him a list of schools he could get into.

a very unnecessary statement. We are all here to help each other, no harm in getting another person's opinion.

a very unnecessary statement. We are all here to help each other, no harm in getting another person's opinion.
Didn't mean it in a derogatory way. I did answer the last part of OP's question.

3.2 cumulative gpa
3.2 science gpa
29 on the MCAT

Nova is 'MCAT-obsessed' ; therefore, you are should be ok...

I understand where he is coming from tho. 5 school list threads are popping up every day. All the information is here (aka average stats) and those who have taken the time to research it already know how to reply based on said stats. That's all we can do. So yes, you are above their MCAT mean and below their GPA mean. Thus, you have a chance. No one can say if you will get in or not.

Reading between the lines, it seems like OP was/is pre-pharm and has added on DO schools as well. Just seems like OP wants people to hand him a list of schools he could get into. Obviously a FL resident from UF Pharm posts so you should look into LECOM-B http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2014cib/2014cib-50 LECOM Bradenton.pdf if you want to stay in FL.

Yes StarFall thanks for mentioning it, I didn't mention I was pre-pharm but I am having second doubts now about pharmacy. I was trying to weigh some other options before dedicating the next 4 years and thousands of dollars to one field. Maybe you can offer "helpful" criticism next time instead of searching for ways to put the OP down. But thanks though, I know about LecomB :)

TBH, NSU's admissions resembled PCOM's more so this year. very random, poorly organized, accepting and rejecting people with wide ranges of stats, and kept poorly in touch with applicants. apply and see what happens

Please enlighten us as to how the admissions process was random and disorganized. Do you know why the folks who were accepted received admission? Or why the rejected were rejected? Or are you basing your statement on the disgruntled masses? Did you apply?

Funny how most folks see a 3.5 and 30 and wait on an acceptance, not a decision.

Please enlighten us as to how the admissions process was random and disorganized. Do you know why the folks who were accepted received admission? Or why the rejected were rejected? Or are you basing your statement on the disgruntled masses? Did you apply?

Funny how most folks see a 3.5 and 30 and wait on an acceptance, not a decision.
I followed the thread...NSU has poorest run admissions department I have ever seen.

I applied this last cycle and was complete in August. Stats were 3.45c/3.3s and 28 MCAT. I had a great interview the first week of December and was accepted two weeks later. I had some good EC's and learned a lot from them, but it wasn't anything out of this world. I think you have a legitimate shot OP, so why not try

I was accepted with a 3.74s/3.81c and a 27 (with a 6 in VR mind you) and fairly competitive ECs.

Anything is possible, but make sure you let admissions know how badly you want to attend their school. I called every week, sometimes twice, sent in many emails and letters before I was finally admitted...2 months later lol