This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pookey123

Pookey
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How have your programs adjusted their graduation requirements? How much experience do you think you'll graduate with? Here is what Tufts has done as an example: (attached)

Also, what percentage of students in your class plan to do residencies? I think it is over 50% for my school this year because people feel unprepared to start practicing general dentistry right out of school

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• clinic1.jpg
    clinic1.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 359
  • clinic2.jpg
    clinic2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 348
  • clinic3.jpg
    clinic3.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 302
  • clinic4.jpg
    clinic4.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 339
How have your programs adjusted their graduation requirements? How much experience do you think you'll graduate with? Here is what Tufts has done as an example: (attached)

Also, what percentage of students in your class plan to do residencies? I think it is over 50% for my school this year because people feel unprepared to start practicing general dentistry right out of school
TBH, that's pathetic. 12 extractions? I had over 100 (i think closer to 150) when I graduated. No way you can be proficient with 12. Same with the endo, only 3 canals. Yikes.

I would 100% be planning on doing a GPR if I were you.

Reactions: 1 user
Are D21 going to sue the school? They raised the tuition but you guys are getting less experience.

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are D21 going to sue the school? They raised the tuition but you guys are getting less experience.
That sounds like a quick way to be dismissed from school.

Ideal strategy at this point is to shut up and slide out with the degree.

Reactions: 4 users
That sounds like a quick way to be dismissed from school.

Ideal strategy at this point is to shut up and slide out with the degree.
I meant after graduation. Since they are D4, they will be graduating in 6 months.
Of course you want to stay under the radar till you get the degree.

I meant after graduation. Since they are D4, they will be graduating in 6 months.
Of course you want to stay under the radar till you get the degree.

If things go well on Match day, I’ll never do another denture, crown prep, or SRP in my life, so I couldn’t care less. I leave that legal battle to someone else.

Reactions: 3 users
My school has not lowered requirements at all, save for the revenue requirement, which has been dropped proportionally to the time we were gone. The school actually added requirements in the form of mandatory community service as we lost almost all of our external rotations and they are scared of loosing their "service learning" credentials.

TBH, that's pathetic. 12 extractions? I had over 100 (i think closer to 150) when I graduated. No way you can be proficient with 12. Same with the endo, only 3 canals. Yikes.

I would 100% be planning on doing a GPR if I were you.

I'm not the person you replied to, but crazy how many procedures you got to do compared to my school.
My school doesn't have number requirements anymore (not because of covid, just in general they don't because of curriculum change).

I did 4 fillings and 4 extractions this whole semester... (many of my classmates have done even less) :cryi:

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I'm not the person you replied to, but crazy how many procedures you got to do compared to my school.
My school doesn't have number requirements anymore (not because of covid, just in general they don't because of curriculum change).

I did 4 fillings and 4 extractions this whole semester... (many of my classmates have done even less) :cryi:
I know this whole experience has been horrid for D3 students especially at my school as well. Just focus on graduating and you will learn dentistry eventually. GPR/AEGD is great idea as well. even in the best of scenarios dental school barely teaches the basics.

I am assuming you are busting your butt in clinic to do everything possible over there, meanwhile make an account on dentaltown.com and read as many posts and clinical cases as you can and you will learn so much about dentistry. watch online CE, even youtube like Stevenson Dental Solutions is amazing.

and just keep your head up! new dentists have been unconfident in their skills when they graduate since the dawn of time pre-covid, so you guys have much more of an excuse for struggling when you are out. this is the practice of dentistry, you will always be a student and always be learning.

Reactions: 3 users
My school has not lowered any grad requirements. They just shortened our externships into 3-4 weeks, but everybody gets to go.

150 ext is not the crazy amount of ext to be honest. the populations dental schools serve don't care about their teeth so it is actually easier to get an extraction than a filling/RCT/crown. it is harder to get crowns nowadays in dental school because school price is still considered expensive unless the school subsidize it to the cost of a filling.

my school student graduate with 50-60 surgical ext, 80-90 regular ext so total of 150 ext. some even reach up to 200ext.

150 ext is not the crazy amount of ext to be honest. the populations dental schools serve don't care about their teeth so it is actually easier to get an extraction than a filling/RCT/crown. it is harder to get crowns nowadays in dental school because school price is still considered expensive unless the school subsidize it to the cost of a filling.

my school student graduate with 50-60 surgical ext, 80-90 regular ext so total of 150 ext. some even reach up to 200ext.

dang my school doesn’t really teach surgical ext I think. Anytime I see a student request a Handpiece during ext appointment, the oral surgery 1 year interns (diff from residents) just take over and do it while the student watches :/

dang my school doesn’t really teach surgical ext I think. Anytime I see a student request a Handpiece during ext appointment, the oral surgery 1 year interns (diff from residents) just take over and do it while the student watches :/

I think you have to learn surgical extraction in order to make it simple. like in the beginning, teeth that should be simple ext, I broke the crown and leave the root tip. I was allowed to section/remove bone to dig it out. as time passes, I learn how to manage and not break it again. actually if you do this you will learn how to dig out root tips as well.

My school has no OS program, or even OS interns, they have GPRs but none of the resident come to OS dept. we don't mingle.

I think you have to learn surgical extraction in order to make it simple. like in the beginning, teeth that should be simple ext, I broke the crown and leave the root tip. I was allowed to section/remove bone to dig it out. as time passes, I learn how to manage and not break it again. actually if you do this you will learn how to dig out root tips as well.

My school has no OS program, or even OS interns, they have GPRs but none of the resident come to OS dept. we don't mingle.

Ah, at my school all extractions done by the undergrads has to be done at a certain floor of the clinic, so the OS interns can monitor you during EXTs

that's lucky extractions are reserved for omfs and gpr residents now

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I’m a D4, and I completed my OS rotation with only about 30 teeth extracted, among them only a handful were surgical. At our school most if not all teeth must be extracted on the OS floor so we can be supervised by OS faculty and residents. All impacted teeth go to OS residents.