**class Of 2013**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We are slacking guys, we were on the second page again!!!!!!!!!!!!

So hi everyone, hope you're all good!

good save Doc Henry. i personally don't think this thread should ever be lower than 1 or 2 spots from the top.

it is our duty as future osteopathic physicians and representatives of the class of 2013. A.T. Still would be so proud.

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: You guys make me laugh! In other news, finally done with classes and turning my attention to the MCAT. Hm, I should probably go over Chemistry today or something ... 7 days left for me - the count-down begins. What about everyone else? Who else is taking the MCAT this last part of May?

:laugh: You guys make me laugh! In other news, finally done with classes and turning my attention to the MCAT. Hm, I should probably go over Chemistry today or something ... 7 days left for me - the count-down begins. What about everyone else? Who else is taking the MCAT this last part of May?

May 27th in da houuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse. raise the roof. re-re-raise the roof.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, so here is a post for ya. Over the past couple of weeks I have been looking at the EM posting and checking out the EM programs at different Universities and Hospitals throughout the country, and I started to re-think everything. Wondering if I am going to be good enough, smart enough, fast enough, or good looking enough. Ok, the last part we all know, I already have nailed down. hahaha Just kidding. Anywho, I had been wondering, "Is this all worth it?" I have come to the conclusion... YES, it is all worth it, and its ok to be nervous.

How many of you are feeling the same?

feeling the same :p

remember: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!" :laugh:

I hope that everyone is doing good. And for the ones that were in class, I hope that you all finished up great!
As for me, just busting my butt for the August MCAT. :eek:
I can't believe that it is already the end of May. Its crazy.
Before we know it, it will be time for interviews again!!
Goes Fast When You Are Having Fun!!

The closer and closer it gets to the 27th, the better and better August looks! I think I'm getting cold feet...

Ryserr,

I noticed your new avatar. Have you read his book, "On Call in HELL"? Great read, blondeBOMBshell ;-) told me about and I picked it up and didnt put it down till it was done.

Ryserr,

I noticed your new avatar. Have you read his book, "On Call in HELL"? Great read, blondebombshell told me about and I picked it up and didnt put it down till it was done.

i actually have not read his book, just the newsweek article. i've actually been trying to change my avatar to that pic for quite some time but it never worked. i tried it today (didn't change how i did it) and it managed to work. go figure.

maybe i'll pick it up at the bookstore after my MCAT!! it will be a nice way to start the summer :thumbup:

i still cant get over the fact Newsweek decided put "hero MD" on the cover because they didn't want to confuse their readers. it kills me everytime.

p.s. where does your screen name come from? one of my good friend's last name is ochoa so everyone calls him ocho so naturally you always remind me of him.

Ryserr,

I noticed your new avatar. Have you read his book, "On Call in HELL"? Great read, blondebombshell told me about and I picked it up and didnt put it down till it was done.
wow blondeBOMBshell -- thanks! :)

It's a really good read though ryserr!

is there a pre-osteo class of 2013 facebook group? there totally should be.

Members don't see this ad :)
p.s. where does your screen name come from? one of my good friend's last name is ochoa so everyone calls him ocho so naturally you always remind me of him.

There is a huge group of us that hang out around here. I was the eighth "David" to enter the group. So the girls called me Davey 8. Then the movie DodgeBalls came out and ESPN 8 "The OCHO" was on it. After that, my new nick name was "The OCHO" hahaha :lol: So right after that I got a huge TATOO of OCHO across my back. .... NOT!

Funny thing tho' I am from CA and know a few ochoa's but no one ever called them Ocho hahaha Luck of the draw I guess.

Hey all, been a while since I've checked in here. Congrats to those who are now officially done with college and good luck to everyone except people taking the MCAT on July 8th.

Aw, what the heck, them too.

Now, onto personal statment drafts and Kaplan audition planning. Have a great Memorial Day everyone!

It's time to get back to business after a weekend of country concerts, BBQ, boat drinks, and friends. Oh, memories of how it used to be before I became pre-med...:p

How are everyone's applications coming along?? :thumbup::thumbdown:

It's time to get back to business after a weekend of country concerts, BBQ, boat drinks, and friends. Oh, memories of how it used to be before I became pre-med...:p

:thumbdown:

I'm just stuck....I can't write anything, can't think of anything....hate my PS....I need to re-focus and get back to it

Man, I wish I had that kind of break of the weekend. hehehe instead I watched ER...BTW, not the best way to study for the MCAT. hahaha

:thumbdown:

I'm just stuck....I can't write anything, can't think of anything....hate my PS....I need to re-focus and get back to it

Writing my PS took for freaking ever. I swear that thing took two years off my life. UGH! Best of luck on your PS.

Hi guys, glad to see a thread up, I'm not new to SDN but I haven't been around for months mainly because I was on the valuemd site getting ready for school in the carib.:rolleyes: I was supposed to start in a few months but because of the loan crisis and other problems the school I got into is having I decided I'm not going to go and instead apply to DO schools this cycle. I was always Pre-DO but I took the MCAT last year and did so horribly I just couldn't muster up any strength to take it again. :scared: Some might say I took the easy way out but I was crushed when I got my MCAT scores back after studying so long for it and the school in the Carib didn't require the MCAT. I'm retaking it in August so I have about 2 more months to do practice tests and study, one of the mistakes I think I made the first time around was not doing any practice test and just studying the topics in the Kaplan book. Of course I have a different study regiment this time around so hopefully I'll do much better . I've started the AACOMAS application and I am looking for ways on how I can get in touch with a DO to shadow so I'm getting some things together and hopefully I'll get an acceptance somewhere.

I have a few questions, my MCAT was 18M (yeah I know pretty bad, sigh) and I am shooting for a 25 hopefully higher this time around but I'm just afraid to send of my AACOMAS applications to school with that score. I know some schools put you on hold until they get your MCAT scores but I don't want to be outright rejected from a school with my current score when I know I can do so much better. MY GPA for science is around 3.4 and my overall GPA is around 3.5/3.6. I'm kinda lost on what to do next. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post by the way, I'm a chatterbox.:rolleyes:;)

Thanks for the well-wishes Fromcali2va! So everyone, here's the scoop:

What I Did the Day Before The MCAT: Browsed through my ExamKrackers MCAT books, made some flash cards of topics or equations I thought I should know but didn't, played some puzzle games, beat the computer at backgammon twice, flipped through my flashcards, looked up some web comics and funny videos, checked my email for the 28th time, browsed through the material again, and got the beat down from my computer at one last game of backgammon.

Reporting on the Day of: Wasn't as horrible as I had imagined. Ran out of time on the physical science section >.< Ouch. Surprisingly, found the writing section to be more difficult than I thought it would be. I should have realize that "concise" isn't in my vocabulary, and I would have loved another two hours or so to make a pretty and polished piece of work. Go perfectionism. The rest of it, well, it happened. I guess we shall see in 30 days (???) how it all went down.

(does a dance) But I'm done! At least for the time being.

Hey Housefan! Welcome back for the second time around. I dont know the answer to your question, sorry! Im sure someone here can help you with that though.

I have a few questions, my MCAT was 18M (yeah I know pretty bad, sigh) and I am shooting for a 25 hopefully higher this time around but I'm just afraid to send of my AACOMAS applications to school with that score. I know some schools put you on hold until they get your MCAT scores but I don't want to be outright rejected from a school with my current score when I know I can do so much better. MY GPA for science is around 3.4 and my overall GPA is around 3.5/3.6. I'm kinda lost on what to do next. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post by the way, I'm a chatterbox.:rolleyes:;)

I've asked this question before on SDN and most often people respond with "they will put you on hold until your new scores come in"

HOWEVER - med schools can do whatever they want, so it's a crap shoot

Is it possible for you to wait to submit your AACOMAS app until after you get your new scores?

I've asked this question before on SDN and most often people respond with "they will put you on hold until your new scores come in"

HOWEVER - med schools can do whatever they want, so it's a crap shoot

Is it possible for you to wait to submit your AACOMAS app until after you get your new scores?

Its possible and that is probably what I will do, its soo confusing, on one hand, if I take the chance and apply early and get rejected from a few schools then my August MCAT score won't matter and that would suck, but if I wait til September I might be considered a late applicant, but in the end I think being a late applicant with good stats might outweigh an early application with a crap MCAT score.

Its possible and that is probably what I will do, its soo confusing, on one hand, if I take the chance and apply early and get rejected from a few schools then my August MCAT score won't matter and that would suck, but if I wait til September I might be considered a late applicant, but in the end I think being a late applicant with good stats might outweigh an early application with a crap MCAT score.
I agree -- I would make sure that EVERYTHING on your AACOMAS app is ready to go (transcripts, EC, Personal Statement, etc), so all you have to do is enter your new MCAT score and submit.

Get your LOR's in and start brainstorming secondaries -- you'll be ready to fire them off and make up some ground. I don't think at any point you would classify as "late" though.

finishing touches on PS and submitting app tomorrow!

Hi guys, glad to see a thread up, I'm not new to SDN but I haven't been around for months mainly because I was on the valuemd site getting ready for school in the carib.:rolleyes: I was supposed to start in a few months but because of the loan crisis and other problems the school I got into is having I decided I'm not going to go and instead apply to DO schools this cycle. I was always Pre-DO but I took the MCAT last year and did so horribly I just couldn't muster up any strength to take it again. :scared: Some might say I took the easy way out but I was crushed when I got my MCAT scores back after studying so long for it and the school in the Carib didn't require the MCAT. I'm retaking it in August so I have about 2 more months to do practice tests and study, one of the mistakes I think I made the first time around was not doing any practice test and just studying the topics in the Kaplan book. Of course I have a different study regiment this time around so hopefully I'll do much better . I've started the AACOMAS application and I am looking for ways on how I can get in touch with a DO to shadow so I'm getting some things together and hopefully I'll get an acceptance somewhere.

hello all, glad to see a thread for 2009....Hey housefan, chin up. your GPA is a good indication of what you are capable of, not how you did on a five hour test once...I got a 21P on the Jan. 2008 MCAT and would say that that is why I am back this year trying the process again. Alas...Determination will get the MCAT score up...(I am retaking Aug. 5th)...Did you use Kaplan?? I suggest the Berkeley Review...What schools are people applying to?? Hey OCHO, nice to see you again... Application in, just waiting on one final transcript to arrive before the schools see me again..Good Luck to all in this process, it definitely changes you...Enjoy the ride...

hello all, glad to see a thread for 2009....Hey housefan, chin up. your GPA is a good indication of what you are capable of, not how you did on a five hour test once...I got a 21P on the Jan. 2008 MCAT and would say that that is why I am back this year trying the process again. Alas...Determination will get the MCAT score up...(I am retaking Aug. 5th)...Did you use Kaplan?? I suggest the Berkeley Review...What schools are people applying to?? Hey OCHO, nice to see you again... Application in, just waiting on one final transcript to arrive before the schools see me again..Good Luck to all in this process, it definitely changes you...Enjoy the ride...
OOOPS, just saw that you did study Kaplan....strike from the record...my bad...PS, what is your study regimen this time around...we are in the same boat with two months to go before the test..

I'm not even close to submitting. Probly wont submit until mid June when I get my final grades:mad:

How many places are you applying to?

Whats up Doc? Best of luck this season!
Thanks, I definitely feel more confident this time around...School is actually done.. I finished the courses that I will be tested on with the MCAT...I kind of kept the net small this time. Only applied to 6 schools (feel free to jump in with critique of that decision)....They are as follows: ATSU-SOMA, AZCOM, LECOM-B, TCOM, WESTERN, and TOURO-CA.. I really am focussing my projection on ATSU-SOMA, though. The biggest thing is getting through the MCAT more positively in early Aug... Good luck mate...

I know, it just seems so far when it would be possible to submit now
Hey Doc...Two weeks is nothing, it is still so early...Your profile is great...I wouldn't worry about it. I'd like to match your MCAT score...bravo..

I hope that everyone is doing good. And for the ones that were in class, I hope that you all finished up great!
As for me, just busting my butt for the August MCAT. :eek:
I can't believe that it is already the end of May. Its crazy.
Before we know it, it will be time for interviews again!!
Goes Fast When You Are Having Fun!!
DITTO...What is your study schedule like???

I will probably be the only relaxed person writing comments for 2009 as I've already gone through the process and ended up deferring for a year (my husband was diagnosed with Non-hodgkins Lymphoma in January - quite a shocking experience). But I figured if I have any experience, or, uh, knowledge to dispense and somehow help anyone out there, I am here to serve...cause I'm over this hurdle!!

With regard to the MCAT: it sucks, life is hard for everyone and there is no one perfect way to study for it. I took it in May, and then again in August. For those of you taking it for the first time in August, please be warned that that is really late in the process - and not to be a Debbie Downer, but what are you going to do if you don't do well? I didn't plan to be sick for my MCAT, but I literally ran out during the writing section and retched!! It was all I could do to sit there and finish the exam! But that said, it certainly is not the end of the world if you won't have your results until September - just make sure everything else on your application is ready to go.

If you haven't already done so, get your LORs NOW!!! Get your transcript requests sent in. These things bog down the process, and you want time on your side!

As far as review, I took the Kaplan classroom course. The class portion sucked, but the on-line stuff is incredible. If you can stay dedicated and work on several quizzes of on-line stuff everyday, I think that is a great way to go. I increased my MCAT by 5 points (puking and all!) by using ONLY the ExamKrackers products. I loaded the Audio Osmosis cds in the old iPod, listened to it while running, driving, whatever... read the books and most importantly, practice questions, practice questions, practice questions. Their 1001 question books are really useful and will provide more questions than you'll ever have time to answer.

Someone asked about submitting their app with a low MCAT that they are planning to retake. I would go ahead and submit, but keep in mind that it takes the schools 3-4 weeks AFTER your scores are released, to get their systems updated with your new score. You can always call or email, respectfully mind you, to see if they've received your new scores. With an 18, you will be put on hold automatically. You may even receive one, or a few, flat out rejections. Don't let that deter you as you can ask them to reopen your file once the new scores are available. I had this happen with Touro-NY and it was not a big deal.

Once you receive your secondaries, GET ON IT!!! Get everything done ASAP. Don't sit around and wait. Don't get caught up in the current semester's classes, you have to set aside time to get your apps done. You will be so happy you did, especially when it is March 2009 and you are reading other people's posts on, "should I apply late?" "I haven't heard back yet..." "is anyone else interviewing late?" You'll be sitting back and enjoying the show at that point. I interviewed and was accepted to 7 DO schools, everything was said and done by December - and I wasn't as on top of the apps as I could have been. There are many who receive acceptances in September and are a done deal by october!!

I suppose I could go on and on... I am happy to respond to questions, if any should come along. Most importantly, there are very few of us that are cocky enough to think our crap is so together that we'll have an automatic acceptance. Most of your peers are questioning their decisions, whether they're good enough, how the MCAT will turn out, whether they'll get an interview....just as much as you are thinking those things. It sounds trite and cheesy, but chin up, believe in yourself and take a deep breath. I promise that this part of the hurdle will be over much sooner than you think (and yes, I do say PART, because if you thought getting in way difficult....).

Best of luck to everyone applying this year! I will see some of you at DMU in August 2009!:hardy:

:luck:

I will probably be the only relaxed person writing comments for 2009 as I've already gone through the process and ended up deferring for a year (my husband was diagnosed with Non-hodgkins Lymphoma in January - quite a shocking experience)

:luck:

How is your husband doing? I hope things are going ok for you guys, I know what its like to deal with family illness, it can be very draining. Also, congrats on your acceptance!

How is your husband doing? I hope things are going ok for you guys, I know what its like to deal with family illness, it can be very draining. Also, congrats on your acceptance!

Thanks for the congrats! My husband finished his final round of chemo (6) a week ago today. He is drained of energy, but still manages to toddle off each morning to teach mathematics to inner-city high school kids. He's an amazing person. I have to admit that this experience has really opened my eyes to the medical world, doc/patient relationships, etc. It also makes me appreciate our health insurance as we have awesome coverage (making me feel guilty for all those out there who have inadequate, or no coverage at all).

He'll have Rituxan (a targeted drug) once a week for four weeks starting in a month and then it will be once a month for six months. Rituxan alone is $7300 for a single dose! Let alone the administrative and pharmacy charges. Yikes.

Anyway, probably more than you wanted to know, but it made deferring for one year the obvious choice! Thanks for asking!:D

Again, if I can help any one out, drop me a note!

OOOPS, just saw that you did study Kaplan....strike from the record...my bad...PS, what is your study regimen this time around...we are in the same boat with two months to go before the test..

Hey Doc K, I didn't do the Kaplan class just used the Kaplan MCAT review book and Gold Standard. I think I might shell out the $$ and use the EK material and take ALL of the AAMC practice tests this time around. My study regimen is all about practice tests and reviewing mostly because the last time I just studied and did some practice questions but no full practice test which was the biggest mistake I ever made sigh. I'm only applying to DO schools and my top 5 are CCOM, AZCOM, TOURONV, TOURONY and LECOM. I am pretty behind for this application period because I just made the decision to apply to DO schools about 2 weeks ago. I was set on going to the school in the Carib so I haven't shadowed a DO yet and I have to track down my professors that wrote me LORs for that school. I'm ready to try and get everything done and hopefully get accepted to one of the schools I mentioned above but I'm also content with applying again if things don't work out for this year.

Hey Doc K, I didn't do the Kaplan class just used the Kaplan MCAT review book and Gold Standard. I think I might shell out the $$ and use the EK material and take ALL of the AAMC practice tests this time around. My study regimen is all about practice tests and reviewing mostly because the last time I just studied and did some practice questions but no full practice test which was the biggest mistake I ever made sigh. I'm only applying to DO schools and my top 5 are CCOM, AZCOM, TOURONV, TOURONY and LECOM. I am pretty behind for this application period because I just made the decision to apply to DO schools about 2 weeks ago. I was set on going to the school in the Carib so I haven't shadowed a DO yet and I have to track down my professors that wrote me LORs for that school. I'm ready to try and get everything done and hopefully get accepted to one of the schools I mentioned above but I'm also content with applying again if things don't work out for this year.
good luck mate....kick a**...

I'm complete and submitted yesterday! Now to relax for a few weeks.

you are verified complete?

or you just submitted your primary and are waiting to be verified as "complete"

surely you can't be "verified" after 1 day.

anyway congrats, i'm almost there as well.

I got accepted into the 2013 class as of late May. I submitted my application very late for the 2012 class and was placed into the 2013 class since there was no room left. Now I have a whole year to relax and get fat before I get into med school and get even fatter once I start since I can't study without sweets.

I got accepted into the 2013 class as of late May. I submitted my application very late for the 2012 class and was placed into the 2013 class since there was no room left. Now I have a whole year to relax and get fat before I get into med school and get even fatter once I start since I can't study without sweets.

Invent a diet pill that blocks the absorption of sugar by your body, during the year off. Oh and don't make it 100% effective, that would be bad news. Btw congrats!

Invent a diet pill that blocks the absorption of sugar by your body, during the year off. Oh and don't make it 100% effective, that would be bad news. Btw congrats!

Ah...since you mentioned that I think a good dose of laxative will help with that. No need to invent new drugs. The only problem now is the horrendous and often smelly side effects...Maybe I'll invent a drug for that as well!:laugh:

Doc Henry, ryserr, Ocho.....second page....not acceptable.

Question: Do some secondaries get sent out the moment I hit SUBMIT on my primary or do I have to be verified before I start receiving them? Thanks!

Doc Henry, ryserr, Ocho.....second page....not acceptable.

Question: Do some secondaries get sent out the moment I hit SUBMIT on my primary or do I have to be verified before I start receiving them? Thanks!

You have to be verified first. The app isn't even sent out to the schools until after that. Of course you can get started on writing your secondaries if you like.

You have to be verified first. The app isn't even sent out to the schools until after that. Of course you can get started on writing your secondaries if you like.
Ok good, I was just trying to get together some sort of timeline -- thanks!!