Class of 2019...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't believe it's our last day of lecture today... where did they time go? This time last year I hadn't even got my interview notice yet. How things change.

Members don't see this ad.

We had our parasitology final on Monday and just have neurology and clinical skills next week, but my motivation to study is nonexistent

Members don't see this ad :)
Last day of class today! Finals start tomorrow. We have 7 (if you count histology and anatomy exams as separate exams). Going to be a long week, but three weeks of freedom and a trip home are so close I can almost taste it

Anatomy 1 final today... farewell, o Leo the anatomy dog, you were a good teacher.

Reactions: 2 users
Done! Goodbye first term of vet school! I'm excited to start fresh next term after some vacation.

We finished our exams the day before Thanksgiving. We just finished out second week of selectives. We are officially done with classes.

I hope the rest of you do well on your exams. You will rock it!!!

9??? Dang!

Good luck everyone! Christmas break is almost here! Lots of drinking, not moving from the couch, binge watching Netflix, video games, and gearing up for next term!

Edit: meant to quote STL. Dunno what happened. Too lazy to fix.

It's not technically 9 "finals," as we only have 5 classes, but it FEELS like 9 finals because they gave us a week full of exams the week before our actual finals week. So ridiculous. Oh, AND we have lectures during the first half of finals week, too!!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: I take back every complaint I ever had about finals in undergrad. I had no idea just how much I would miss having dead days.

Reactions: 1 user
First semester is DONE. I can't believe how fast that flew by.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't know how but I managed to make it through that ****show of a semester without failing anything. On to semester 2!

Reactions: 2 users
DONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 12% DVM

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some of my classmates asked our lab instructor to send out next quarter's readings and lab manuals so they could start studying. Am I really that much of a slacker? I had no intentions of doing that, lol.

Some of my classmates asked our lab instructor to send out next quarter's readings and lab manuals so they could start studying. Am I really that much of a slacker? I had no intentions of doing that, lol.
can you say "gunner"? I bet you the majority aren't going to be doing much of it, either. A brain rest is more important IMHO

can you say "gunner"? I bet you the majority aren't going to be doing much of it, either. A brain rest is more important IMHO
The absolute most I was planning on doing was practicing ausculting and maybe some anatomy review since I'll be seeing orthopedic surgeries at work. And that's still likely to not happen...

I saw a few classmates studying for next semester during our rotations. Geez. I admit I felt like I should be doing the same, but online window shopping makes the time go by faster :p

What do you have to do?
Research modules (that currently aren't working apparently) and a review paper that is supposed to be written in groups of 2-3. They aren't technically due until April, but we were sent an email strongly suggesting we do them now. Plus we have readings and videos to watch for the spinal cord dissection, but that can be done the night prior to the first day back to class. Nothing too bad, but I was really looking forward to two weeks of nothing!

Well our class has lost at least one person so far. A very close friend and great study buddy is not moving on with our class. She supported me through a lot this semester so I don't know how I'll handle this without her next month. :(

Well our class has lost at least one person so far. A very close friend and great study buddy is not moving on with our class. She supported me through a lot this semester so I don't know how I'll handle this without her next month. :(
I'm sorry :( Will she be able to join the class of 2020?

Unfortunately not. :(
That's awful :(

We're only down one, due to financial reasons (before we even took any exams). I heard we were supposed to lose someone else after the midterm, but the faculty must have decided otherwise...

That really stinks, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine what I would have done without "my person" to help me this semester. And how devastating for her. I hope you can keep in touch and be there to support her in what must be a really tough spot in her life.

I'm sorry :( I don't know how well I would manage without my buddies, either.

I'm so sorry. I lost one of my closest friends before exams due to personal reasons and it really sucks. (Although it's probably better for everyone else since we're a bunch of trouble together). Rumor is we might've lost a couple more due to grades and it makes me sad. Hopefully they can join the class of 2020.

I'm sorry :( We had a few people drop out at the beginning of the semester and a few more who ended up not making it due to grades (in our first block where the final is worth 75%...). It really sucks and I wish I felt like the administration cared more :/

How can break be half way over already???? I don't want to go back :(
We start back on the 4th... Next Monday. How has the break gone by so quickly?? And I've been sick for half of it. The stress of finals week caught up to me :/

We go back the 11th, I'm so sorry y'all have to go back so soon!!! Being sick over break is the worst

Anybody else spend a fair amount of time over this break trying to tell family members that you can't tell them why their dog is vomiting or whether or not they should get the lump on their back removed? I wish I could help more, and I can't wait to be able to offer more advice than just "take it to the vet, since I'm not one (yet)"

Anybody else spend a fair amount of time over this break trying to tell family members that you can't tell them why their dog is vomiting or whether or not they should get the lump on their back removed? I wish I could help more, and I can't wait to be able to offer more advice than just "take it to the vet, since I'm not one (yet)"
It will only get worse...once you are a vet they'll expect free exams and diagnoses without any labwork ever.

This "I wish I could help more" sentiment will soon change once you are a vet.

I can't tell anyone why their pet is vomiting without xrays/bloodwork half of the time. And why that lump should or shouldn't be removed depends on a lot of things including knowing what it is, which I can't do with just staring at it or feeling it with my hands. They still need to take the pet to the vet, whether it be you or someone else. Unless you are the boss, you can't just give services away for free (or I guess you can but that would be stealing from your employer).

Thankfully I don't have any family that lives nearby. I don't mind phone consults for them at all, or to do a physical exam when I'm there to talk about possible issues and what diagnostics I would recommend, but they regularly go to their own vets. My sister on my recommendation got both a wellness plan AND trupanion for her dog, and is willing to do annual/every other year dentals on her dog. So being cheap is not a motivation for her to call me. And I don't mind helping her out at all with whatever she needs.

My friends who live close enough to me are mostly in the veterinary field. My true non-vet friends know not to take advantage of me. They'll ask me about pet/vet stuff but not as a way to avoid a visit with their vet. My "came out of the woodwork and friended me on Facebook randomly and posted a picture of a lesion on their dog's skin as soon as I friended them" acquaintances get defriended and ignored for the rest of eternity.

Last edited:
Oh, and just so you know, around end of second year/early third year is when you will feel the ****tiest.

You've studied so much and for so long, but you still don't know much at all how to treat anything! You can help diagnose things on labwork pretty well... But when someone asks you my vet prescribed x,y,z for this, is this okay? You're like, 'I have no ****ing clue... I feel like vet school is a huge scam that takes my money and imprisons me but I still don't know ****ing ****!'

It's a miracle when you finally graduate and are ready to practice.

Reactions: 3 users
My coworkers handed me bloodwork the last week and asked me what it meant. I told them that it meant that I'm still only qualified to determine what color a dog is.

Reactions: 4 users
My coworkers handed me bloodwork the last week and asked me what it meant. I told them that it meant that I'm still only qualified to determine what color a dog is.
Has your class not reviewed how to read a CBC Chem yet? Do you have a PBL course?

Has your class not reviewed how to read a CBC Chem yet? Do you have a PBL course?
I mean we've covered that stuff, but I'm still no where near "Oh, this is low/high/low, so it's definitely pointing to ____." Really, we've only gone over endocrine abnormalities and the blood values you see with them. I don't think we'll get into that stuff in depth until third year, but I could be wrong. We have a 'clinical correlations' course that is pretty terrible.

And then you get bloodwork back and it doesn't fit into any of the hand-selected vet school vignettes and you're like "What the hell do I do now?!"

5dd9fed3efc31312e4cc67fefd07cb38.jpg

I have definitely told a resident or clinician when they asked me what bloodwork showed: "Badness"... and after I state every abnormality they usually go... "yup, badness".

And then you get bloodwork back and it doesn't fit into any of the hand-selected vet school vignettes and you're like "What the hell do I do now?!"

Oh, and didn't you know, as much as the chem indicates, that Akita isn't addisonian... that hyperkalemia's normal (unless you're careful with how you collect it), and that cavalier with a low platelet count isn't going to bleed to death? Well maybe it is, but likely not.