Class of 2019...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We do. I have most of them scheduled for around here though so I don't have to find people to take care of all my animals. Ours are three week blocks.
Come visit my clinic and bring the pups. I've had Fill's big gsd in my house, I can do your guys. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You do some exotics too, right? I’m trying to find the right exotics externship.
I do a titch, but wouldn't say to come to our clinic for that experience because a lot of it is pet store medicine and doesn't involve a lot of workup or answers. Avian & Exotic Animal Care in my area is an AWESOME externship, though, see if they have spaces. It's prob about twenty minutes from my house.

4 finals this week. 2 down, 2 to go. I'm so tired and I feel like I just don't even care anymore, like as long as I pass, it's all good. I just can't wait until Thursday afternoon and then I will have 3 glorious days with no commute to philly and no studying!

I also can't believe that we are 1/4 of the way through 3rd year. In just a few months we are all going to be in clinics doing doctor-like stuff.

The other day one of our professors gave us a really nice talk at the end of his last lecture. He really likes our class because we come to class and participate (but his class was also super fun). He was going on about how great we were all going to be, and I suddenly had a panic attack, like, crap... do people ever fail out of vet school during 4th year? What if I'm a totally sucky clinician? I certainly hardly know anything.

4 finals this week. 2 down, 2 to go. I'm so tired and I feel like I just don't even care anymore, like as long as I pass, it's all good. I just can't wait until Thursday afternoon and then I will have 3 glorious days with no commute to philly and no studying!

I also can't believe that we are 1/4 of the way through 3rd year. In just a few months we are all going to be in clinics doing doctor-like stuff.

The other day one of our professors gave us a really nice talk at the end of his last lecture. He really likes our class because we come to class and participate (but his class was also super fun). He was going on about how great we were all going to be, and I suddenly had a panic attack, like, crap... do people ever fail out of vet school during 4th year? What if I'm a totally sucky clinician? I certainly hardly know anything.
I'm down 2 today with one left Friday and four next week. Doesn't help I decided Fall break should turn into a non study five day vacation home. lol

Argh. Brain was already fried from tests, but managed to tutor the last couple hours. Just need the pep to get through all my toxic plants once then I can release into the sweet mindlessness that is boob tube.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had to re activate my hospital access earlier this year because they thought I went out with 2017, and now they forgot to add me for a mail slot at the hospital. I feel like they are really wanting to get rid of me already. lol

I had to re activate my hospital access earlier this year because they thought I went out with 2017, and now they forgot to add me for a mail slot at the hospital. I feel like they are really wanting to get rid of me already. lol

That's ok, being a new vet after graduation really does feel like a giant kick in the ass "Bye!!! Good luck, bitch! Hahhaha, sucker!"

You forgot the asking for money from alumni part... because that's fun and I look forward to rejecting that.
My partner actually got a lifetime membership for us for the general school alumni association and I told them as such after the first call... haven't heard anything since.

I think I have it all figure out as well, so we shall see if my planning actually works, especially considering my current plan has me on the east coast wandering about from January to May. lol
You know I've always got a place for you to crash if needed. Or company for a quick bite to eat and a drink

You know I've always got a place for you to crash if needed. Or company for a quick bite to eat and a drink
The way I am hoping to do it is to spread my three week vacation into one week to drive up to first location, one week to get to next location, where I will do back to back, then the last week to get to the last one, which ends fourth year. :heckyeah:

You'll desperately want that vacation to be vacation, and you'll want it way before the end of 4th year. Just saying...

This. 3 weeks off is half of what I took and I was dying for every single one of those 6 weeks that I had. And every single one of those two week breaks were glorious things of awesomeness. Granted I only took one during the first half and shoved the last two right before graduation, but didn't do anything during those breaks other than sleep in, eat bad food, sleep in and drink margaritas... oh and sleep in.

That may be, but this is how to ensure I have a line on where I want to be and can job search without the long distance back and forth. I can't be flying out to the east coast sporadically and having to pay both my rent and a place to stay at the same time. This saves me money and time. I have faith in my mental and physical capabilities to hold strong. The only week that will not really be a week off is the first one. The others are close enough to each other that I'll have a decent number of days to explore and enjoy myself.

I took all my required rotations in the summer and fall and was 100% done on campus by the first week of February. I had twelve straight weeks of off campus electives (2 weeks each at six places) and my last rotation was vacation. I’m not going to say it wasn’t a drag having intensive rotations like anesthesia, IM, oncology, and surgery all back-to-back, but those last four months were glorious.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I took all my required rotations in the summer and fall and was 100% done on campus by the first week of February. I had twelve straight weeks of off campus electives (2 weeks each at six places) and my last rotation was vacation. I’m not going to say it wasn’t a drag having intensive rotations like anesthesia, IM, oncology, and surgery all back-to-back, but those last four months were glorious.

This is what I tried to do since I knew 18 months of clinics would be really hard. Unfortunately we have a "preference" lottery system, so I only got ~50% of what I wanted (path, equine, and IM first, all of which I was dreading), but I still have the 6 week block of surgeries to look forward to...

Definitely recommend stacking the hard ones first, it feels so much better to not do them now!

I did the same thing. Done on campus in February, vacation last black. Did all my externals in areas I wanted to work so it worked out for interviewing and dropping off resumes. Then I had my last block free for relaxing, drinking wine, packing up the house, etc. It was worth the wait

I did the same thing. Done on campus in February, vacation last black. Did all my externals in areas I wanted to work so it worked out for interviewing and dropping off resumes. Then I had my last block free for relaxing, drinking wine, packing up the house, etc. It was worth the wait
Yeah, I am hoping to have my house packed up and back in storage and out of town forever for that end of Jan-first week of Feb rotation and be on the road.

This is what I tried to do since I knew 18 months of clinics would be really hard. Unfortunately we have a "preference" lottery system, so I only got ~50% of what I wanted (path, equine, and IM first, all of which I was dreading), but I still have the 6 week block of surgeries to look forward to...

Definitely recommend stacking the hard ones first, it feels so much better to not do them now!
We don't get a choice unless for a reason for main campus, but our elective/vacation they do their best to make sure everyone gets what they want.

Sigh, one more test tomorrow morning before T day break. I don't feel like studying. Just gotta run through lectures one more time though. I ate a giant omelette however, and kinda just wanna nap and netflix. lol

Sigh, one more test tomorrow morning before T day break. I don't feel like studying. Just gotta run through lectures one more time though. I ate a giant omelette however, and kinda just wanna nap and netflix. lol
I have lectures Monday - Wednesday this week and a test in Tuesday. I also don’t feel like studying.

I have lectures Monday - Wednesday this week and a test in Tuesday. I also don’t feel like studying.
Yeah, we have classes Mon-Tues. I don't go to class obviously unless there is a test, quiz, or mandatory case discussions though. haha

I do have to go in Tues afternoon for a last tutor session however, so not quite home free after Mon. I keep thinking why did I sign up to help, but I also take pleasure in getting people passing histo. lol

Great minds... :)

I didn't quite have it down to 100% done by February, but I did all of my off-sites Jan-May, so I was offsite maybe 75% of the time.

It was glorious not being around IM and Ophtho and Derm and *RADIOLOGY* and all those things toward the end of 4th year. Felt like such smooth sailing once I hit Jan 1 2015.

For those who are already on clinics or are starting soon (we start in March), did any of you have more anxiety than excitement? I hear a lot of 'Can't wait to get out of the classroom and start doing real stuff!' from classmates and all I can think is 'Oh my god I still feel like I know nothing and it's going to show.'

Most of our clinicians are okay and I've never seen anything totally terrifying from them (actually that's a lie, I did see our anesthesiologist have a literal tantrum once), but we do seem to have a few house officers that like to make students poop their pants.

For those who are already on clinics or are starting soon (we start in March), did any of you have more anxiety than excitement? I hear a lot of 'Can't wait to get out of the classroom and start doing real stuff!' from classmates and all I can think is 'Oh my god I still feel like I know nothing and it's going to show.'

Most of our clinicians are okay and I've never seen anything totally terrifying from them (actually that's a lie, I did see our anesthesiologist have a literal tantrum once), but we do seem to have a few house officers that like to make students poop their pants.
I’m just gonna leave this right here.

I’m just gonna leave this right here.
Blah. I just feel a sense of impending doom. Plus the competitive vibe that my class has always had is ever so gradually increasing, especially with people starting to compare externships, talk about the match/NAVLE, etc. The last thing I need is to feel like an idiot on a daily basis around some of the people that already go out of their way to be unfriendly now. That's probably a huge chunk of my anxiety right there, plus the idea of a clinician asking me a question that I have no clue how to answer.

And we just had VetPrep sponsor a lunch lecture and give us a 40ish minute long presentation on the NAVLE :arghh:

Oh, and we still don't have our clinics schedules finalized yet...

I'm one that is ready to get in there. I have started at the bottom of the totem pole numerous times throughout my life, so I've grown comfortable understanding there is a learning curve but I can catch on and do well if I listen, do, then teach. haha

Absolutely! I mean, sure, I was a little excited, but I was also a big bag of nerves all the time. Clinics can be terrifying, especially when you have to switch rotations so often and have to get used to new procedures, groupmates, topics, cases, clinicians, paperwork, protocols, all over again and again and again and again...

The good news is, your anxiety might eventually turn into apathy. :laugh: That, and, honestly, everyone is in the same boat. They might appear calm, but everyone is panicking over one thing or another. Kinda like the duck on the lake. Calm on the surface, frantically paddling underneath haha. Everyone will adjust, and you will learn everything you need to know in order to cope/make it through (even if it's on the last day of the rotation haha). I know you are anxious, but you are not alone, and there are a ton of people out there ready to help you through!

Blah. I just feel a sense of impending doom. Plus the competitive vibe that my class has always had is ever so gradually increasing, especially with people starting to compare externships, talk about the match/NAVLE, etc. The last thing I need is to feel like an idiot on a daily basis around some of the people that already go out of their way to be unfriendly now. That's probably a huge chunk of my anxiety right there, plus the idea of a clinician asking me a question that I have no clue how to answer.

And we just had VetPrep sponsor a lunch lecture and give us a 40ish minute long presentation on the NAVLE :arghh:

Oh, and we still don't have our clinics schedules finalized yet...

I'd be more worried about having NO apprehension to clinics. It is new, it is different and it can be intimidating at first. I was uber nervous starting clinics. Do the best you can, research your cases, if you have time, research other cases assigned to other students, be ready to discuss the conditions you are working on. If a TPLO is scheduled for a day in surgery, know the surgery prior. If you know a diabetic patient is coming in for a recheck, know info on diabetes. If you show that you have researched things you will be fine.

Heck, I managed to survive a random 6AM bombardment of "tell me everything you know that can cause megaesophagus" while I was treating my megaesophagus patient. Stumbled through it, but managed it.

You are going to have rotations that are harder than some, but work hard, research things and show interest while you are present (even if you aren't interested) and you will be fine.

And don't worry about the NAVLE until August.

Absolutely! I mean, sure, I was a little excited, but I was also a big bag of nerves all the time. Clinics can be terrifying, especially when you have to switch rotations so often and have to get used to new procedures, groupmates, topics, cases, clinicians, paperwork, protocols, all over again and again and again and again...

The changing was really the worst part, for me. We were given two week rotations, so just as you were adjusting to and getting into the swing of things for a specific rotation, it was time to pack up and move on to the next. Which I guess was good in some ways, but it seemed like you were just starting new constantly. That was until I was in Internal Medicine for the 3rd or 4th or 5th time that I took it... like riding a bike. Loved that rotation and those rounds rooms.

The changing was really the worst part, for me. We were given two week rotations, so just as you were adjusting to and getting into the swing of things for a specific rotation, it was time to pack up and move on to the next. Which I guess was good in some ways, but it seemed like you were just starting new constantly. That was until I was in Internal Medicine for the 3rd or 4th or 5th time that I took it... like riding a bike. Loved that rotation and those rounds rooms.

I am actually grateful ours are 3 weeks. We have a class second year that consists of just following each rotation for a certain amount of hours. I could definitely tell when I hit a first week versus second or third.