Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for those graduating in 2021.

Post your concerns, questions, study tips, resources, etc.

Congrats & hoping the best for all of us :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1 hour every day.

Probably not gonna happen until I get studying habits down but will remain optimistic.

I need that rush.

Nice. I'm glad I'm not the only one planning that. I had a good schedule past few months but now with the moving and all, messed it all up.

We begin classes on the 14th, so I hope to start lifting + cardio by then. I'm sure we can take out 45-1 hr a day for ourselves!

Reactions: 1 users
I definitely do not want to regain all of my weight from the first few years of undergrad LOL So I definitely plan on it. Also with trying to save money and not eating out often is much healthier. I'm honestly worried about grocery shopping in NYC though. I heard it's much more expensive and the lines are long.

Reactions: 1 user
I definitely do not want to regain all of my weight from the first few years of undergrad LOL So I definitely plan on it. Also with trying to save money and not eating out often is much healthier. I'm honestly worried about grocery shopping in NYC though. I heard it's much more expensive and the lines are long.

lol it's not that bad here in NY. You can find whatever you need within the campus neighborhoods as Harlem is very diverse.

I plan to cook a bit as well whenever I get a chance but probably after exams. For me, the worst part of this moving is living on campus housing that is NOT furnished :smack:

lol it's not that bad here in NY. You can find whatever you need within the campus neighborhoods as Harlem is very diverse.

I plan to cook a bit as well whenever I get a chance but probably after exams. For me, the worst part of this moving is living on campus housing that is NOT furnished :smack:
You're going to School right? That's crazy they don't furnish it with the basics at least. What a pain :(

Anyone planning to use Anki or flash cards in general for basic sciences? I am not a flashcard person per say, but it seems like many people utilize Anki and do well.

Anyone planning to use Anki or flash cards in general for basic sciences? I am not a flashcard person per say, but it seems like many people utilize Anki and do well.
I was planning on trying it since it seems like it's very helpful. I have been playing around with it to figure out how to use it.

Good luck to everyone. I hope this thread can remain as active as possible in our collective journey.

Reactions: 3 users
I was planning on trying it since it seems like it's very helpful. I have been playing around with it to figure out how to use it.

Yeah, same here. I did use it a bit for the MCAT and will try it again for classes. It takes time but enforces key points for memorization.

I was going to start reading a bit on the intro to anatomy stuff (lateral/pos/anter/stuff) but I think I will stick to food and Netflix for now..lol

I don't plan on using Anki. Flashcards have never worked for me. I usually study slide to slide off PowerPoint. My big question is whether attending class will be worth it for me or not, as I did not go to a single class that was not required in undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't plan on using Anki. Flashcards have never worked for me. I usually study slide to slide off PowerPoint. My big question is whether attending class will be worth it for me or not, as I did not go to a single class that was not required in undergrad.

Yes, going to classes will be a waste, unless the school had mandatory attendance. Which is another reason why I chose Scholl over BarryU/NYCPM.

Is attendance required at your program?

Also, what you are guys using for laptops and tablets? I have an old MBP (2010) and an iPad Mini and I feel like both need an upgrade lol

Yes, going to classes will be a waste, unless the school had mandatory attendance. Which is another reason why I chose Scholl over BarryU/NYCPM.

Also, what you are guys using for laptops and tablets? I have an old MBP (2010) and an iPad Mini and I feel like both need an upgrade lol
I believe attendance is not required at Kent, correct? @KSUCPMMM @ksucpm21 @marinepod
I have a 2010 MBP and new iPad Pro.

I picked up a Surfacebook last week, and I absolutely love it! This is my first laptop that isn't a Mac, but so far I'm extremely happy that I made the switch.

I believe attendance is not required at Kent, correct? @KSUCPMMM @ksucpm21 @marinepod
For the most part class isn't mandatory, however, some are when there is a quiz. Go on Blackboard and it will show in the syllabus (Cell & Tissue/Staying Alive) which dates are mandatory.

I picked up a Surfacebook last week, and I absolutely love it! This is my first laptop that isn't a Mac, but so far I'm extremely happy that I made the switch.

I have also heard great things about the Surfacebook/Pro and currently making a pros/cons list for that and the Ipad Pro.

I used to own a Pc desktop back in the days (windows xp), but since then been a mac guy. Cost definitely matters so I'm leaning a bit towards the surface pro 4.

Generally no, attendance is only mandatory when there's a quiz or if there's something special going on, you"ll be told beforehand when a class is mandatory. I do recommend trying to go to all classes at least the first couple months to try it and make friends.

I have also heard great things about the Surfacebook/Pro and currently making a pros/cons list for that and the Ipad Pro.

I used to own a Pc desktop back in the days (windows xp), but since then been a mac guy. Cost definitely matters so I'm leaning a bit towards the surface pro 4.
Have a full sized tower gaming rig.

Need something for class notes and stuff.

Also leaning towards the sp4

Kent has changed the curriculum to implement PBL, decreasing the amount exams count towards your final grade. Group work now counts for 21% of your final grade in courses like Cell and Tissue (the new histology) and Staying Alive (the new biochem).

Last edited:

Already ordered KAPLAN books for the basic science, purchased first aid , pathoma, goljan 's pathology, and Netter's Anatomy, lol.
Excited , yo.

As they say, "sleek, cheek, on fleek.." lol

Already ordered KAPLAN books for the basic science, purchased first aid , pathoma, goljan 's pathology, and Netter's Anatomy, lol.
Excited , yo.

As they say, "sleek, cheek, on fleek.." lol

Great resources!

I plan to get the 2017 First Aid and possibly Sketchy Micro for term 1.

lol I have yet to start packing! :shrug:

Feels like starting undergrad all over again, eh? hahaha!

Lucky for me my commute from my house to the campus in chinatown is like only 15 minutes. ;)

Great resources!

I plan to get the 2017 First Aid and possibly Sketchy Micro for term 1.

Ah! nice, i'll look that up in amazon. And by the way, another one i suggest you get is the BRS series.

Just ordered BRS for:
  1. Anatomy , Physiology
  2. Microbiology and Immunology
  3. Biochemistry
  4. Microbiology
  5. Pathology

Ah! nice, i'll look that up in amazon. And by the way, another one i suggest you get is the BRS series.

Just ordered BRS for:
  1. Anatomy , Physiology
  2. Microbiology and Immunology
  3. Biochemistry
  4. Microbiology
  5. Pathology

Yes, I have older editions of those as well from a friend.

But, I think, we will realize that there is no time to read "textbooks" and the info given in lecture is enough to do well for class exams. I guess these additional sources will be for reference purposes and for board prep later in year 2.

Also Sketchy will not be on Amazon. You will need a subscription from their site. They are excellent for micro and Pharm and some path.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes, I have older editions of those as well from a friend.

But, I think, we will realize that there is no time to read "textbooks" and the info given in lecture is enough to do well for class exams. I guess these additional sources will be for reference purposes and for board prep later in year 2.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My gf is currently a 2nd year medical student at Cooper Medical School at Rowan University (south jersey), she uses the BRS in conjunction with class notes and power point lectures. I'm planning to start board reviews early on and refer to clinical questions with lecture dictum. Remember our goal is to not just to 'pass' exams, but to ace it. We have to goal to be ahead of the pack, never behind...

Carpe Diem...!

Kent has changed the curriculum to implement PBL, decreasing the amount exams count towards your final grade. Group work now counts for 21% of your final grade in courses like Cell and Tissue (the new histology) and Staying Alive (the new biochem).

That's a good thing, right? PBL is a great way to learn concepts but it also depends on the type of students in the group.
What do you mean by the new biochem?

I believe at Scholl we have regular lectures planned so far and I see an exam in week 2 already for Genetics! Will find out the percentage and other syllabus info when classes begin.

Where is a good place to buy scrubs from that will last?

Where is a good place to buy scrubs from that will last?
I have bought some cheap ones off of amazon that have lasted well throughout the past year. If you want good brands there's grey's anatomy, cherokee, dickies.

I have bought some cheap ones off of amazon that have lasted well throughout the past year. If you want good brands there's grey's anatomy, cherokee, dickies.
Thank you

Dr. Fredieu has responded well to constructive criticism in the past. He's a newer professor and this is his first year as course director for Anatomy. I'd shoot him an email and ask if he is willing to post his slides online as a reference tool. He might be willing to do it if so. If not, and I know its inconvenient, you can screenshot slides off Boxcast. I've had to do it before in the past and it's not horribly labor intensive.

I reached Chicago today in a pretty bad weather to fly in. Been moving and setting up essential furniture in a really nice student's housing apt.

Our first day of classes is the 14th.

What a life! :yawn:

I reached Chicago today in a pretty bad weather to fly in. Been moving and setting up essential furniture in a really nice student's housing apt.

Our first day of classes is the 14th.

What a life! :yawn:
Bad weather?? Already? :p

First week of school is in the books! Just finished organizing all of my notes from the 1st wk as I am still figuring things out. Looking forward to what week 2 brings!

Reactions: 2 users
First week of school is in the books! Just finished organizing all of my notes from the 1st wk as I am still figuring things out. Looking forward to what week 2 brings!
You have already started class? Did you guys have an orientation week?

You have already started class? Did you guys have an orientation week?
Yes, orientation was 7/26 & 7/27 with the White coat ceremony on 7/28. We started classes on 7/31. All is good thus far!!!