Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same for CSPM

Same for Kent. Two classes have been 89.5 for an A though.

Thanks. Good to know. And, I'm not surprised since our boards are pass/fail (as of now), the Pod GPAs matter when it comes to residency, so a pass/fail system for basic sciences may not be ideal for us.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
NYCPM: similar to undergrad

93+ = A
90-93 = A-
87-89 = B+
84-87 = B
etc etc
C- = 70-72
F = <70

Reactions: 1 users
Being at NYCPM and seeing how lenient the other grade systems are makes me cry....

Members don't see this ad :)
We just had our 2nd round of exams this past week. It’s going by fast, can’t believe only one more round of exams until first semester is over.

Yeah, time is definitely flying. We probably had around 15-20 exams/quizzes thus far. But, we get a small break from nov 3rd, then 1 week off for Thanksgiving, and another 2 weeks off during Christmas/NewYear.

This. The catch is when looking at class rank. If two people have an A, the one that made the better percentage score will be ranked higher.

Not at scholl. 4.0 is ranked #1 no matter how many we have. Class of 2019 had about 8 after first year but now we are down to around 4 or 5 I think.

So a person with a 3.97 (just for example) that would have the closest GPA to the 4.0 group would have been ranked #9 following first year and now would be #5 or #6. I'm not sure if they use actual percentages to determine who is valedictorian though.

The average of our second anatomy practical was 61%.

Dam. Our lowest so far was biochem exam 2 (avg was around 74).
Will there be a curve for you guys for the practical?
If you're not already, trying using either the Rohen's atlas or their flashcards, probably the best for practicals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Feels like we have just begun but our first semester will be over before we know it! Can't wait until December break.

This. The catch is when looking at class rank. If two people have an A, the one that made the better percentage score will be ranked higher.
that's not how it is at Kent. If someone got all 100's and someone else got all 91's they'd still be tied for #1 in class rank

So which schools only have A, B, C, D, and F for grades?? Never heard of that kind of grading

There is no D. But, it seems like the ABCF system is at Scholl, Kent, and CSPM.

NYCPM follows the letter grades with +/-, not sure about the other programs.
Temple's is currently a strictly numerical grade, as I've posted examples of before.

Enviado desde mi Pixel mediante Tapatalk

There is no D. But, it seems like the ABCF system is at Scholl, Kent, and CSPM.

NYCPM follows the letter grades with +/-, not sure about the other programs.

Wow! I'm really surprised by that. That would make my life right now a whole lot easier having that grading scale.

Does it mean that from 89.5 to 100 GPA is the same for these students?

At Western anything above 90 is honors ("A) but on a side note we don't go by a 4.0 scale. our GPA and rank are based on a numerical grade percentage and you have to do some math to put it on the 4.0 scale.

Thanksgiving break is almost here. Keep up the hard work people for the last few days
Also, I think someone mentioned before but its time to renew FAFSA

:woot:
Everyone is hella out of it in class today.

If they even bothered showing up that is.

Hope everyone pushes hard until Thanksgiving.

Everyone is hella out of it in class today.

If they even bothered showing up that is.

Hope everyone pushes hard until Thanksgiving.

Today was our last day of class before finals (and Thanksgiving!) and barely half the class was there.

Reactions: 3 users
Today was our last day of class before finals (and Thanksgiving!) and barely half the class was there.

Dam. Not much of a break then lol

On average, how many exams do you guys take for each course?
The lowest for us, as of now, is genetics (2 exams, 2 quizzes), and Biochem (3 exams).

Dam. Not much of a break then lol

On average, how many exams do you guys take for each course?
The lowest for us, as of now, is genetics (2 exams, 2 quizzes), and Biochem (3 exams).

Nope, not when we have our first final this Monday :(

For this semester:
Bacteriology = 5 exams, 1 final
Biochem = 5 exams, 1 final
Genetics = 2 exams, 1 project, 1 final
Histology = 4 exams, 1 final
Neuroscience = 4 exams, 1 final

So genetics was the lowest for us as well. Makes sense since it's only a 2 credit course for us

For this semester:

So genetics was the lowest for us as well. Makes sense since it's only a 2 credit course for us
.....that's a ****ton of exams.

We've had on average 2 exams for each class.

2-3 exams + 2 practicals for the ones with labs.

Yeah, I wouldn't like this less exam thing..lol

Our Anatomy and Physio/Histo runs for the entire year so there are about 6-7 exams for each, plus 3 practical for Anatomy.
The biochem final for us (0n Dec 1st) is worth 40% of our final grade and I hate this..wish they had more exams to lower the overall %

For this semester:

Are your finals cumulative? I'm guessing a similar number of exams for Anatomy as well?

I prefer the higher number of exams since it forces you to keep up to date with the material. Also, if you mess up on an exam your grade isn't completely trashed since there are more opportunities to make up for it.

Are your finals cumulative? I'm guessing a similar number of exams for Anatomy as well?

Most finals for us are cumulative.

Anatomy there are 3 written exams, 3 practical exams, and 6 quizzes. The written and practical exams are given on the same day, with the lab practical exams happening in the afternoon. There are 2 quizzes for each exam block to make sure you're keeping up with the material. No final unless you failed the class and you have to retest. In that case, the final is cumulative.

Rumor is the average for our Anatomy practical final was 50%. I will update this when it comes out.

Jeez, Gross is pretty brutal this year. That sounds pretty rough - if that's true they'll have to curve it. No way they let literally half the class fail. They ended up curving it like 8% for us last year and IIRC they said they wouldn't do it (before they did)

Hopefully they do the same for you guys.

Was there a mock exam or any help from TAs? Seems like the faculty messed up here...

We held a mock exam for them with the help of some of the staff / faculty. I helped set it up, so I know for a fact that we had direct involvement with faculty / staff throughout the entire process.

Based on what I've heard, there have been some growing pains with the new curriculum. The old course director is handing over the class to a new professor, so there are a lot of changes this year in Gross. Most of the 1st years I've interacted with have been pretty solid and they seem to be working hard, so I definitely hope they don't just fail half of them.

So, what happens to the podiatry student who technically passes everything with a C and passes board? Will they be able to get a residency?

So, what happens to the podiatry student who technically passes everything with a C and passes board? Will they be able to get a residency?

They might match. GPA matters more for us Pods because that brings in the interviews. That said, how we do during clerkships weighs more, imo, than gpa and grades. So if someone has a low graduating gpa, they better be great in their clinical skills and liked by others.

So you just gotta be a well liked fool. I can do that.

They might match. GPA matters more for us Pods because that brings in the interviews. That said, how we do during clerkships weighs more, imo, than gpa and grades. So if someone has a low graduating gpa, they better be great in their clinical skills and liked by others.

Was there a mock exam or any help from TAs? Seems like the faculty messed up here...
Yes and yes. I have found the mock practicals and tutoring sessions (4 days per week) very helpful. I go to almost every session and had a high B going into the final.

There's hope. Thank God.

Reactions: 3 users