Clinical vs Research Dental Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted904921

Does anyone have a compilation of the clinical focused vs research focused dental schools? and the schools that are a mix of both?

I'm applying next cycle and would like to know but I can't seem to find this detail much on the schools' websites!

THanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The ivy league schools are generally research oriented. Also Michigan and UF. And by research oriented I mean research is more common and accessible if you're interested in doing it.
Clinically oriented UDM and Temple. I interviewed at those schools and I noticed they are clinically very strong but research is limited.
Those are the only schools I have knowledge about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The ivy league schools are generally research oriented. Also Michigan and UF.
Clinical oriented UDM and Temple.
ASDOH is also very clinically oriented I believe

Members don't see this ad :)
The #1 clinical school in the country is Creighton. No questions.

I spoke with a student there who complete 10+ implants and multiple molar endo. The most I've seen from other schools is maybe 2 implants. I would caution anyone against schools like ASDOH. It is very expensive, and don't have a ton of patients (that's why they send you on "externships"). The best way to check and see how good a school is clinically is to see how many residency programs they have. Creighton has 0 so use that as your gold standard and work backwards.

I spoke with a student there who complete 10+ implants and multiple molar endo. The most I've seen from other schools is maybe 2 implants. I would caution anyone against schools like ASDOH. It is very expensive, and don't have a ton of patients (that's why they send you on "externships"). The best way to check and see how good a school is clinically is to see how many residency programs they have. Creighton has 0 so use that as your gold standard and work backwards.
By this method of evaluation, is LECOM a good clinical school?

Creighton is an amazing school, but I believe Midwestern AZ is superior clinically. With that being said, Creighton is definitely a better value considering price (100k cheaper after interest)

Edit: There are lots of good schools out there and all of them will make you a dentist, but don't let that extra clinical experience justify you dropping an extra 100k because that will quickly skyrocket with the current grad plus interest rate of 7.6%

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
By this method of evaluation, is LECOM a good clinical school?

I can't speak to LECOM. But I think that the best way to objectively evaluate clinical schools is based on:

1. # of residency programs
2. size of patient pool per student
3. advanced procedures performed by DMD/DDS students

Reactions: 1 users
I will only comment on Penn and Columbia since those are the schools I'm familiar with (I go to Penn and my s/o goes to Columbia). I don't think you can classify schools as "clinical" or "research" focused. Are Penn and Columbia known for research? I guess, but they definitely don't force/pressure you to do research. In fact, like most schools, you have to seek out research if you really want to do it. A better term to use is that we are more didactic focused. Both schools want you to become familiar with the entire body, not just the head and neck region. They expect you to become clinicians of the entire body, not just "the mouth", so this means that we probably have to learn a lot more information than most dental students would learn. It's up to you to decide if this is something you find beneficial or not.

Big Hoss firing some truth! Everyone will be on the same level after 4-5 years no matter where you go
My experience working at a dental office that oftentimes hires recent grads is that not everyone will be on the same level. I agree that one should go to the cheapest dental school. The sad scenario is when you attend an expensive school and after 4 years you're not able to do procedures like simple extractions. I've seen it happen.

My experience working at a dental office that oftentimes hires recent grads is that not everyone will be on the same level. I agree that one should go to the cheapest dental school. The sad scenario is when you attend an expensive school and after 4 years you're not able to do procedures like simple extractions. I've seen it happen.

If after 4 years you still can't do simple extractions I think it's the individuals fault

Wow. That's really sad. Btw rooting for you!

The ivy league schools are generally research oriented. Also Michigan and UF. And by research oriented I mean research is more common and accessible if you're interested in doing it.
Clinically oriented UDM and Temple. I interviewed at those schools and I noticed they are clinically very strong but research is limited.

I received a very weak clinical education at UDM. Though to be fair, the difference between weak and strong for most schools is a handful of extra repetitions for certain procedures.

Research was indeed limited though. Certainly available, but limited.

Edit: I mispoke. You do plenty of simple extractions. I recall some schools don't give you as much experience with that. The undergrad OS department was legit. However crowns and other fixed prosth items were very hard to come by and mqny students struggled to fullfill the endo requirement of 5 canals.

Last edited:
I entered DS in 1985. Even back then .... I chose the cheapest DS to attend. Cheapest doesn't equate to lesser education. It was a state DS that was a lot cheaper than going to a private DS. If your rationale is to attend an expensive DS to learn more techniques ... well guess what? That technology will most likely be obsolete by the time you graduate.

In DS ... I was doing gold foils, amalgam fillings and gold inlays. After 4 years of DS ... hardly anyone was doing those restorations. In Ortho residency ... I learned Begg, Tip-Edge, edge-wise, extraction protocols, etc. etc. Now .... I practice completely different. More non-extraction with IPR, growth modification, early treatment to prevent future bicuspid extractions and upper cuspid impactions, etc. etc.

Like Big Hoss and others have stated SO MANY times. Attend the cheapest DS. After DS ... choose some CE that interests you.

In the real world .. there is no prestige on where your graduate. The only prestige is graduating with less debt.

Reactions: 4 users