Comprehensive Post Interview Communication Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radiologyreviews2015

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to create this thread to list which programs send out unsolicited post-interview communication. Please list which program and what you have either heard about or received yourself.

UCLA: chief residents give a phone call to top applicants
UCSF: snail mail letter RTM

Members don't see this ad.

Maryland: email from PD
BIDMC: email from PD
MUSC: postcard, email from interviewers and chief resident

Members don't see this ad :)
if this thread is going to exist, can people at least add when such communication has been received or if it is per last years applicants?

Emory: email from PD 2/2016: "thought very highly of your application and interview"

Does anyone respond to these type of messages? I feel like it might be better to be silent (although I feel rude not responding to emails on purpose)... on the other hand any response that's sufficiently enthusiastic yet vague enough would be the equivalent of sending a "I'm ranking you highly but not number 1" type message.

BIDMC: email from PD
Emory: email from PD 2/2016: "thought very highly of your application and interview"
Maryland: email from PD
MUSC: postcard, email from interviewers and chief resident
UCLA: chief residents give a phone call to top applicants
UCSF: snail mail letter RTM

Has anyone received a ranked to match letter from UCSF so far this cycle?

someone above said they got a snail mail letter with RTM, I myself just received a nice email response back.

OP said that but did not specify whether s/he personally received a letter and did not specify whether that letter was for this application cycle or an apocryphal rumor from prior years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know from talking to friends/residents how far some programs go down their rank list? For example, UCSF takes 14 and probably sends 14 snail mail RTM letters but clearly not everyone is reciprocating so they must be falling down their list. Just curious how far programs end up going down. Thanks and good luck!

Anyone know from talking to friends/residents how far some programs go down their rank list? For example, UCSF takes 14 and probably sends 14 snail mail RTM letters but clearly not everyone is reciprocating so they must be falling down their list. Just curious how far programs end up going down. Thanks and good luck!

I'm sure it's different for every program and varies year by year. All you can really do is rank the way you want and hope for the best.

Analyzing how far particular programs go down their list won't help/change anything.

Hoping poster is from the west coast
In case you were hoping the snail mail would take time to get to the east coast, it generally shouldn't be more than 2 days' delay no matter where in the US you are located. At this point the best thing we can do is just forget about all this madness until the match day.

I heard most post-interview communication is done to recruit female applicants and that male applicants usually don't get contacted as much, is this true? Not sure how many female applicants post on here, but would love to hear your input. Thanks!

Pd at wvu sent a "you are ranked in top 1/3"

I wonder if programs still only say "top 1/3" to their top 5-10 candidates.

Wake sent a reminder that they don't play this game. Won't change my ranking, but respect them more for it.

Last edited:
Do people still get their #1 program without sending these letters?

Do people still get their #1 program without sending these letters?

Yes. There seem to be a few programs that cared about hearing from applicants if they were very interested. There are many others where your letters will make no difference at all.

Sigh maybe I should stop trying to convince my partner to rank them first

If you still want it, you should still rank it first. I found out first hand recently that information in one of these communication threads is, not surprisingly, inaccurate and probably meant to troll people... well that or programs contact in a way that is not consistent across applicants which would be weird. Don't believe what's here or elsewhere out there. I did for a while and I ended up surprised by something different. Do what you want and leave the rest to the match.

If you still want it, you should still rank it first. I found out first hand recently that information in one of these communication threads is, not surprisingly, inaccurate and probably meant to troll people... well that or programs contact in a way that is not consistent across applicants which would be weird. Don't believe what's here or elsewhere out there. I did for a while and I ended up surprised by something different. Do what you want and leave the rest to the match.
congrats on UCSF :)

Not sure what's weird about programs sending real mail to their RTM candidates and then emailing the other 'top' candidates. I've certainly gotten one form while friends have gotten the other from the same program. Whatever makes you feel better.

Agree that no one should change their rank list based on these posts. That would be as asinine as this thread existing to begin with.

Dear people who recieved a snail mail or an email from ucsf: did you tell them they were your number one and then recieve this communication?