This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sailor Senshi Dermystify

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I was reading the surgical subspecialties thread in pre-allo and the doctors and residents mentioned quite a few terms that I really don't understand

How does the residency process works besides the match?

What is a transtional year compared to preliminary and categorical?

Out of these three, which one is best to have when you're graduating from medical school?

Should we strive for a pre-lim, categorical or transitional year? On ERAS, do we have apply to each of these separately and then the field we are interesting in at the same time?

Thanks for responding!

Members don't see this ad.

Dude! This you haven't even started med school yet. Chill out!

This will all become apparent once you are in your clinical years of school. Until then, they are meaningless words. The relevance of these will all depend on the eventual specialty you might match into.

Reactions: 2 users
Dude! This you haven't even started med school yet. Chill out!

This will all become apparent once you are in your clinical years of school. Until then, they are meaningless words. The relevance of these will all depend on the eventual specialty you might match into.

These terms were mentioned in the pre allo forum and I just want some insight. It is never too early. I already got accepted to medical school, so knowing these terms can help.

Thanks for not answering my questions :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
These terms were mentioned in the pre allo forum and I just want some insight. It is never too early. I already got accepted to medical school, so knowing these terms can help.

Thanks for not answering my questions :)

Fine. I'll try my best (I'm not "in the know". This is just stuff I've picked up from SDN):

Prelim = 1 year internship, either medicine or surgery (PGY-1)
Transitional = 1 year; a bit different from a medicine or surgery intern year (I've heard it's like a repeat of M3 in that you rotate through many different services); generally cushier and more competitive (PGY-1)
Categorical = a residency where intern year is included in the program
Advanced = a residency that starts at PGY-2

So why prelim or transitional year? Some programs residencies are "advanced" residencies, and they start at PGY-2. You'll need to match (or soap) into a prelim or transitional year along with an advanced residency program.

Examples:
Person A: Matched into a categorical general surgery residency for five years
Person B: Matched into a transitional year (PGY-1) with a follow-on urology residency (PGY-2 +)
Person C: Matched into a preliminary year only (not good). These are commonly referred to as "dead-ends" since there is no promise of a follow-on, so you'd likely have to match again

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Fine. I'll try my best (I'm not "in the know". This is just stuff I've picked up from SDN):

Prelim = 1 year internship, either medicine or surgery (PGY-1)
Transitional = 1 year; a bit different from a medicine or surgery intern year (I've heard it's like a repeat of M3 in that you rotate through many different services); cushier and more competitive (PGY-1)
Categorical = a residency where intern year is included in the program
Advanced = a residency that starts at PGY-2

So why prelim or transitional year? Some programs residencies are "advanced" residencies, and they start at PGY-2. You'll need to match (or soap) into a prelim or transitional year along with a match into an advanced residency program.

Examples:
Person A: Matched into a categorical general surgery residency for five years
Person B: Matched into a transitional year with a follow-on urology residency
Person C: Matched into a preliminary year only (not good). These are commonly referred to as "dead-ends" since there is no promise of a follow-on, so you'd likely have to match again

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! So basically, I want a transitional or categorical spot when I graduate?

Thank you so much! So basically, I want a transitional or categorical spot when I graduate?

No, not necessarily.

The different types of programs serve different purposes. Transitional year is broader training while a prelim medicine or surgery year is more focused on either medicine or surgery.

There's nothing wrong with matching into a pre-lim surgery program followed by an advanced residency position. What was bad in the example above was that that person Only matched in a prelim program and no advanced program. It would be equally bad to only match in a transitional program with no advanced position.

Your goal will be to figure out which specialty you want to match in and the route will be more clear. Some advanced programs have different preferences as to which option they prefer and what will have the necessary rotations for eventual board certification, etc.

Last edited:
So here's the short and simple from someone who has actually completed the process.

You can form this sort of conceptual framework:

1. All graduates pick a specialty and try to match (apply/interview) into a residency job which will train them in that specialty.
2. Two kinds of residencies... Integrated and advanced.
a. Integrated is all inclusive -- they include all your years of training. When you are done, you are trained in that specialty. Examples - internal medicine, pediatrics, general surgery.
b. Advanced programs -- require you to find a separate internship before completing the advanced program in your specialty. The internship can be called a prelim year, a transitional year, etc. Most advanced program do not care if that year is a surgical or medical based internship.​
3. Your main goal after medical school is to find a complete training position, whether that involves a integrated program or an internship position combined wth an advanced (AKA designated) position.

Reactions: 1 users
I always thought transitional year was that weird 1st year thing they use for DO's in some states (Florida, Pennsylvania, etc)? Or am I thinking of something else?

I always thought transitional year was that weird 1st year thing they use for DO's in some states (Florida, Pennsylvania, etc)? Or am I thinking of something else?

You're thinking of something else.

Googled it, I was thinking of "Traditional Rotating Internship", my bad

Kids, remember to search before you post...

Reactions: 1 users