Other Contacting programs about transfer openings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bonzie37

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice for contacting programs about available transfer positions?

I know that the party line is to tell your PD that you want to leave and then blanket email every program in the country and pray. That said, I would like to hear about people's experiences since there does not seem to be much information out there.

Has anyone contacted programs before telling their own PD? I find it hard to believe that everyone plays by the rules.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't personally done this, but I know someone who did. He was targeting a specific region of the country that has a lot of programs. He emailed all the programs in the area individually and let the programs know that he had not informed his PD yet. No one gave him a hard time but the program that ultimately took him did want to speak to his current program director before agreeing to the transfer. It all worked out for him but I think he was more stressed out than he needed to be by keeping his transfer a secret. Plus, in my field, there are high quality programs that offer PGY-2 spots but won't let you apply without a PD letter. Keeping it secret cheats you out of a chance at those spots.

You'll have to tell them eventually. Hopefully, they'll be supportive.

I was afraid to tell my program director I wanted to transfer because of all the garbage I've read on this website. I wasted a lot of time wringing my hands over what to do. Just tell them. No one wants residents in their program that don't want to be there and they'll likely try to help you. Unless your PD is particularly douche-y it's easier to just let them know and try to get their help. My PD was very kind of supportive. I am much less stressed now because I know I'll have no problem getting the green light from him for a transfer if I can find a position. Plus, I don't feel like I'm screwing my program and co-residents over by withholding information until it's too late for them to do anything about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.