Cornell Applicants c/o 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just signed up for Feb 1st! Anyone else going that day?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on going February 7th! So excited to see Ithaca! Does anyone know how the housing situation is in regards to rental homes with yards? I have a dog (about 50 pounds) and a cat and my dog absolutely looooooves being outside so I know she'd be happiest having a yard. Hopefully I'll get a chance to look around that weekend!

Also, does anyone know how painless the financial aid process is for Cornell?

I have agreed to host a student for one of the weekends (or more). Will know more on that later.

With regards to properties, it varies by management company. Most places seem to fall along no pets/pets+ deposit (much more if dog) line if they are apartment complexes. Some of my classmates live in actual houses with a single landlord so that may be a better option for you + your dog if you look around. No rush to find housing just yet.

As far as financial aid goes, it can be a pain to track down all the documents you need (just like undergrad) but the financial aid people do a good job of emailing you when you are missing documents so you can stay on top of it. The upside is that Cornell has some $$$ for scholarships (30% of which goes towards 1st-years; you guys won't have opportunities for jobs early on after all) so make sure you follow up. Some of them are grade-based while others support students from certain regions (i.e. New York, New England, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
I finally got my rejection from the dual degree program- I'm not too disappointed though-still excited about getting admitted to Cornell and all of the exciting research programs offered there!

I will be at the Feb 8th admitted students weekend! See some of you there!

I'm actually not going to the admitted students weekend. Cornell's not my first choice, so the only reason to go is to better compare it to Penn if I get into Penn and not my first choices. I'd rather not spend the money to travel and miss classes on Friday.

I have agreed to host a student for one of the weekends (or more). Will know more on that later.

With regards to properties, it varies by management company. Most places seem to fall along no pets/pets+ deposit (much more if dog) line if they are apartment complexes. Some of my classmates live in actual houses with a single landlord so that may be a better option for you + your dog if you look around. No rush to find housing just yet.

As far as financial aid goes, it can be a pain to track down all the documents you need (just like undergrad) but the financial aid people do a good job of emailing you when you are missing documents so you can stay on top of it. The upside is that Cornell has some $$$ for scholarships (30% of which goes towards 1st-years; you guys won't have opportunities for jobs early on after all) so make sure you follow up. Some of them are grade-based while others support students from certain regions (i.e. New York, New England, etc).

Reeeeeally trying hard not to get my hopes up but any gift money/scholarships would be awesome. Any idea what percentage of the class gets something like this?

Offhand I can't say. It really comes down to where your vet med interests lie, your academic status, your ethnicity/demographic, and financial need. To give you an idea of how many different awards are out there (some may be multiple scholarships per year too?) and the criteria, you can have a peek at this. Having been around for awhile and having some generous alumni is one advantage Cornell has over newer vet schools (e.g. NC State) when it comes to financial aid.

You'll have a better idea at admitted students day as financial aid should be covered at that time. You should be able to ask questions then or later via email. Hope this helps a little bit.

Offhand I can't say. It really comes down to where your vet med interests lie, your academic status, your ethnicity/demographic, and financial need. To give you an idea of how many different awards are out there (some may be multiple scholarships per year too?) and the criteria, you can have a peek at this. Having been around for awhile and having some generous alumni is one advantage Cornell has over newer vet schools (e.g. NC State) when it comes to financial aid.

You'll have a better idea at admitted students day as financial aid should be covered at that time. You should be able to ask questions then or later via email. Hope this helps a little bit.

Thank you!

Does anyone know what kind of clothes to wear for the information session? Obviously not jeans but do you think we need to wear suits like for interviews?

Does anyone know what kind of clothes to wear for the information session? Obviously not jeans but do you think we need to wear suits like for interviews?

I emailed Jennifer Mailley about this yesterday. This is her reply to me:

"We see everything from jeans to dresses. I think business casual is a good way to go. There is a fair amount of sitting and then an hour to an hour and a half tour at the end of the day. So, wear something comfortable!"

Hope that helps. :)

Just wondering.. Does Cornell's new class have a facebook group or some other type of social media group? Is this even a tradition? Just wondering how to connect with others for little questions about housing and stuff.

It's up to a brave member of the c/o 2017 to make it, but yes, we do have our facebook groups for organizing car rides to lab, airport, etc (or just goofing around).

As for organization, until the group fills up beyond 30-40 people (after April 15th mostly), use this SDN thread.

Edit: and if anyone finds a social media link related to your class, but sure to share it here so more people see it.

Edit: and if anyone finds a social media link related to your class, but sure to share it here so more people see it.
Yes please! I don't think I'm brave enough to do it, but I'm eagerly waiting to see what my future classmates look like...:naughty: :laugh: (I'm kidding I'm kidding!)

By the way, how is the big red barn on Fridays? I hear a lot about it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! I wish I could bring my husband... sadly he can't get any of the days off. :( Maybe I'll ask my mother to join me so I have company for the 7 hours of driving! She loves being included in these things!

I can't bring my bf either bc of a conflict with work. I was thinking of dragging a family member along but the ride might be a bit much. Just wondering how many people go alone, will it be awkward not to have a +1?

Another quick question; my boyfriend will be relocating with me and would like to start feeling out the job situation at Cornell and the surrounding area (he's an LVT). Where are the best spots to look for job postings at Cornell's hospitals? I've found a few on some scattered sites and servers and was wondering if there is a more complete posting somewhere I missed. I would also like to try to work pt and was wondering if anyone on here currently does, and how possible it is the first semester? Thanks in advance!!!

Another quick question; my boyfriend will be relocating with me and would like to start feeling out the job situation at Cornell and the surrounding area (he's an LVT). Where are the best spots to look for job postings at Cornell's hospitals? I've found a few on some scattered sites and servers and was wondering if there is a more complete posting somewhere I missed. I would also like to try to work pt and was wondering if anyone on here currently does, and how possible it is the first semester? Thanks in advance!!!

This is just a guess, but you could try emailing the head LVT in whichever area he usually practices (small animal, emergency, ophtho, large animal, etc). You should be able to find that information on the hospital''s website, but I'm not positive.

I don't know how many hours you were hoping to work pt, but it's pretty much unsuggested to do anything besides school for Block I (August through Haloween-ish). It's a really demanding and time-consuming block, but if you were going to work something like 5 hours a week it might be manageable.

Ideally the FAFSA should be submitted as early as possible, but you have to use your actual figures from 2012. So just get your taxes done as soon as you can and then submit the FAFSA!

Does the Fafsa need to be complete by Feb 1st?

I'm definitely stressing about getting my FAFSA in by Feb 1st. I have so many tax forms that I'm still waiting for (well, I'm waiting for all of them). Everyone says "mid-January" but I seem to remember last year not getting some of them until February. :(

I'm definitely stressing about getting my FAFSA in by Feb 1st. I have so many tax forms that I'm still waiting for (well, I'm waiting for all of them). Everyone says "mid-January" but I seem to remember last year not getting some of them until February. :(

You may be able to use your 2011 tax return if your finances are similar for 2012.

hi everyone! congrats to all who have been accepted :)
I've been looking at the admissions formula for Cornell and does anyone know what constitutes the 10% Non-Cognitive Skills? How do they assess that in your application?

Thanks! preparing my first application for next year :p

If memory serves, 10% weight was given to applicant responses to the short answer questions presented in the supplemental application (i.e. if you answer the questions with specific examples that show positive character traits you should do pretty well). Take note that strong letters of reference and academic performance comprise the backbone of successful applicant (really true anywhere, but Cornell weighs GRE + GPA at 50% which is not true elsewhere).

For anyone else curious who stumbles across this thread (non-c/o 2017) the formula can be found here (link)

Trying to pick which day to do the info session... This would be a whole lot easier if I had my syllabi and could make sure I'm not going to accidentally miss a physics test or something. :rolleyes: Also, transportation is difficult.

Is it possible to find housing within walking distance of the vet school? Would really prefer to walk rather than rely on bus or cars. I looked briefly at available housing, and they all seem to be >1 mile, which is sort of the limit I'd walk on a day-to-day basis (1 mile one-way max).

Is it possible to find housing within walking distance of the vet school? Would really prefer to walk rather than rely on bus or cars. I looked briefly at available housing, and they all seem to be >1 mile, which is sort of the limit I'd walk on a day-to-day basis (1 mile one-way max).

Not a current Ithaca resident but I was impressed with how extensive the bus routes appear to be: http://www.tcatbus.com/

Yeah, unfortunately it would be really hard to find something that close. There are a few houses on Dryden Road that are just about a mile away, but it's hard to say whether they will have openings. Your next best bet would probably be Eastgate Apartments, which are just over a mile. There is a bus that goes straight down Dryden which is another option since the weather is often non-conducive to walking. You could potentially look north of the vet school, but I'm not sure what the rental situation is that way. Good luck!

I lived in Ithaca last year and yes the bus routes are pretty good, but I would say you are not going to want to walk even half a mile when it's icy and freezing cold...and it kind of sucks not having a car. just my two cents :)

Along the same lines as apartments and distance... do many students rent outside of Ithaca or would that be really annoying? I've noticed that rents in Dryden for example appear to be lower than Ithaca.

Just keep in mind that the farther you live away can add up when you factor in the number of cars entering Cornell via main roads at 7:30-9:30am and leaving around 4:30pm each day. Most people I know live within 15 minutes of school, largely South and/or East of school. Avoid Collegetown as it is pricey for what you get.

Aww, I'm going to have to change my lifestyle then :( There are times when I drive maybe once or twice a month here, and I really enjoy it. I guess it'll have to change!

Aww, I'm going to have to change my lifestyle then :( There are times when I drive maybe once or twice a month here, and I really enjoy it. I guess it'll have to change!

I don't own a car and haven't driven in 8 years. Right there with you!

Just a friendly reminder from a waitlisted student at Davis to decline your offers elsewhere if you've already accepted at Cornell ;) Sorry for being impatient and congrats :)

I was hoping to ride my bike to school at least in the summer months. When I visited last year, Ithaca appeared quite bikeable.

Is anyone else going to orientation Feb 15th, and how long did it take to receive the schedule after registering?

I was hoping to ride my bike to school at least in the summer months. When I visited last year, Ithaca appeared quite bikeable.

Is anyone else going to orientation Feb 15th, and how long did it take to receive the schedule after registering?

I got an email with the schedule a day or two after registering :)

More questions about housing, sorry!

How to find roommates...???? I've found a lot of great places in great locations, but they're only affordable with roommates. I am coming from the other coast and know of no one going to Cornell. Eek!

Lame girl question- what shoes are y'all wearing for the infosession? There's probably going to be a lot of walking, so business heels will hurt like hell (for me), but I've been told repeatedly that my combat boots are not acceptable. :oops: I hate the term "business casual"- my wardrobe is pretty much super casual or super business, and not a lot in between.

Lame girl question- what shoes are y'all wearing for the infosession? There's probably going to be a lot of walking, so business heels will hurt like hell (for me), but I've been told repeatedly that my combat boots are not acceptable. :oops: I hate the term "business casual"- my wardrobe is pretty much super casual or super business, and not a lot in between.

I was planning on wearing my black dansco clogs. They don't look too out of place with a biz casual outfit (I often wear them to my office job because I have bad feet) and they are definitely comfortable enough for lots of walking.

More questions about housing, sorry!

How to find roommates...???? I've found a lot of great places in great locations, but they're only affordable with roommates. I am coming from the other coast and know of no one going to Cornell. Eek!

Utilizing your class's Facebook page and listserv (will go live once enough people pay their deposits; maybe around March?) would be a good start.

Utilizing your class's Facebook page and listserv (will go live once enough people pay their deposits; maybe around March?) would be a good start.

So March/April won/t be too late? I'm such a worrywart (indeed, pathologically so... :oops:)

We had a person called off the waitlist 3-4 weeks before classes started (at most) and she was able to find housing successfully. You'll do okay :p.

3 weeks before? Eeek! That is cruel and unusual punishment :p But I bet she was so thrilled she forgave them ;)

I wish time didn't creep by so slowly when we have things to look forward to. Feels like an eternity until moving to NY and beginning this incredible journey.

I'm going to the Feb. 1st infosession...has anyone else going that day heard about staying at a current student's house? I'm wondering if I should book a hotel room.

edit: just got an e-mail confirming my host. yay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhhhh it's -2 in Ithaca right now...not looking forward to that for 4 years :-(