Cornell c/o 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations, jackiemew!! :)

I'm starting to worry more that I'll be getting a crummy e-mail tomorrow...:(

Me too :(

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the ones who got the call CONGRATS! Also, was it an Unknown Number that came up on your phone? Because I missed a phone call from an unknown number but they didn't leave a message and now I am totally freaking out. It might have been just someone else but just wondering.

It was "restricted" or something to that effect. I would bet if they didn't reach you they would try again and likely send an email/leave a message telling you to expect a callback.

Or it could be another sales call :thumbdown:

Thank you Bismarck for your reply. I have to laugh because I never get calls from any blocked numbers but on the day that I'm looking and hoping for a call from one- I miss it! That's life...well hang on guys!

no one else OOS heard yet??!! I'm anxiously waiting by my phone but slowly losing hope now :(

Just got the call over in California! I don't know if they're going alphabetically, but my last name starts with a V.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far!!!

Just got the call over in California! I don't know if they're going alphabetically, but my last name starts with a V.

It appears that they may be going alphabetically. If they are, then that means I'm out. :/

Does anyone know if today is the last day they are calling people?

It came up as "unknown" on mine. Seems to be different depending on the phone.

I'm accepted! :D I got the call this morning at about 10, maybe a little earlier.
My last name starts with R and I'm OOS (PA). I was on the other line so I didn't see what it came on caller id. They did call my home though not my cell phone, not sure why. \
Dr. Smith was really nice and helpful.
Congrats to everyone else who got in!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to all! Still waiting here but not giving up yet!

Now i can say for sure that they were going alphanetically because my
Last name starts with pa and got phone call at 9:01am.. And They called
R at 10am so it makes sense.. He said the official email will be sent out tmw

Came here to say the same thing. I'm going to RSVP for the info session on February 3 and 4th as I will be doing by PhD Interview the 5th-7th and might as well make the drive once :thumbup:.

I'm not terribly surprised, but I didn't get accepted. Good luck to everyone who wiil be starting in the fall, and good luck to everyone still waiting to hear from other schools! I'm personally holding out hope for Ohio! :xf::luck:

Came here to say the same thing. I'm going to RSVP for the info session on February 3 and 4th as I will be doing by PhD Interview the 5th-7th and might as well make the drive once :thumbup:.

I think I'll be there the 3rd & 4th, too! Can't wait to meet you all :)

Do you think you'll stay with a student host or try to find a hotel or something?

It's a "no" for me. Such a let down.

It's a "no" for me. Such a let down.

I'm sorry, Bis!! *hugs* :( It's their loss, though. Hang in there, okay?

(and you included my small paragraph at the bottom of the rejected post in the Official Rejections thread. oops!!)

I'm sorry, Bis!! *hugs* :( It's their loss, though. Hang in there, okay?

(and you included my small paragraph at the bottom of the rejected post in the Official Rejections thread. oops!!)

Oops!! You're right. I'm just not functioning well after this blow to me ego. I'm sorry for you, too. We will be okay. I have 2 more schools to hear from (but this was my IS, so....) What about your other applications?

I think I'll be there the 3rd & 4th, too! Can't wait to meet you all :)

Do you think you'll stay with a student host or try to find a hotel or something?

I'm leaning towards student host as it will be more fun anyways. I have to talk with them about accommodations for Saturday night though.

Oops!! You're right. I'm just not functioning well after this blow to me ego. I'm sorry for you, too. We will be okay. I have 2 more schools to hear from (but this was my IS, so....) What about your other applications?

I'm waiting on 6 more schools, thankfully. As long as I get accepted at one school, I'll be happy! :laugh:

Yes...that's all we need is one "yes" to make it happen!

Big congrats to everyone, and best of luck to the rest of us. :luck:

Sorry to everyone who didn't get in. Hope you hear good news from other schools soon :(

I'm planning to go the 3rd & 4th. I think I'm going to sign up for the student housing. I'm excited to get a sample of PBL. Can't wait to meet everyone!

Sorry to everyone who didn't get in. Hope you hear good news from other schools soon :(

I'm planning to go the 3rd & 4th. I think I'm going to sign up for the student housing. I'm excited to get a sample of PBL. Can't wait to meet everyone!

Thanks. Even though Cornell was my number 1 school, I still have 7 to hear back from including my IS, and I'm extremely lucky to be waitlisted at Colorado. Congrats everyone who got it!

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted. Enjoy the information days and best of luck in vet school!

Yeah, you accepted peeps can go ahead and tell Ohio you won't be going there so they can give me your spot next week when they send out acceptances! ;)

Thanks...I'm hoping still for my two other schools...we'll see.

All I can say is that they clearly don't know what they are giving up. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the others, for sure.

KM - Thanks for your support....you've been great, and it really helps! I hope you hear something soon, too! We both deserve it, for sure.

Just a friendly heads up:

I spoke with Jennifer Mailey today about student accommodations for the info sessions. The number of student hosts is limited (especially for male applicants) and pairings are made 1st come, 1st matched. Get your RSVPs in soon otherwise you will have to pay for your own lodging for the weekend.

Will be there Feb 2nd-8th for info session and my PhD interview and hoping to spend some time with students rather than 6 straight nights in a hotel :xf:

Can any current students talk about what kind of instruction you get leading into the PBL format? I've read about it a little bit and I just can't imagine walking in on the first day of class and receiving symptoms and diagnostic information and being told to go research what could be going on. Are there lectures presenting basic information and then you receive your cases or is it just straight small group work straight through?

Just a friendly heads up:

I spoke with Jennifer Mailey today about student accommodations for the info sessions. The number of student hosts is limited (especially for male applicants) and pairings are made 1st come, 1st matched. Get your RSVPs in soon otherwise you will have to pay for your own lodging for the weekend.

Will be there Feb 2nd-8th for info session and my PhD interview and hoping to spend some time with students rather than 6 straight nights in a hotel :xf:

I did the same thing- signed up for staying with student for Thurs and Fri and then hotel the rest of the week. I assume I'll be seeing a lot of you!

does anyone know how many students are waitlisted in a year? and what the stats are for people getting off the waitlist at cornell?

Can any current students talk about what kind of instruction you get leading into the PBL format? I've read about it a little bit and I just can't imagine walking in on the first day of class and receiving symptoms and diagnostic information and being told to go research what could be going on. Are there lectures presenting basic information and then you receive your cases or is it just straight small group work straight through?

Before our first time in tutor group (where we go through cases) we had absolutely no lectures - it was literally our first time as "official" vet students. It's definitely intimidating at first; however, during the orientation you get the chance to meet your tutor group and your first tutor (the tutors rotate), so you're not in a room with complete strangers.

You are given cases to go through - they're basically packets that you go through one page at a time, each one progressing through the case - you have to determine the facts, determine which questions need to be asked, make a hypothesis and then plan what to do next. Sounds a bit crazy for your first day, but they really do keep it at good level for you. Different people in your tutor group will have different levels of veterinary experience, so someone may have even seen a case like it before.

Before your next tutor group, you have two and a half days of lecture and a weekend to learn applicable material (from lecture) and spend time in the AWESOME library paging through anatomy texts (so many resources! Really no need to buy books, which is good for my wallet).

Again, it was really intimidating, but they do a good job of starting you off - they have spent so long fine tuning Block 1, and it's a really incredible course!

Just got a beefy financial aid packet in the mail with info on what forms you should fill out (and when) as well as a url for the tracking page. Scholarship offers to be made on basis of getting forms in / short personal essay. I'll add this to the pile (mountain?) of stuff to tackle in the next three weeks.

Just got a beefy financial aid packet in the mail with info on what forms you should fill out (and when) as well as a url for the tracking page. Scholarship offers to be made on basis of getting forms in / short personal essay. I'll add this to the pile (mountain?) of stuff to tackle in the next three weeks.

When were the due dates for the forms/ essays due? I haven't received the packet yet and I just want to make sure I get it in time to complete the forms!

Feb 1: FAFSA filed online. CSS Profile filed online

Feb 15: Signed copies of all federal tax returns including W2s, supplemental schedules, etc due to financial aid office. Statement of personal interest due online at portal (https://secure.vet.cornell.edu/financialaid/12-13/logon.asp) for consideration of gift aid.

March 1: First offers of aid given.

Bottom line is get this stuff done ASAP if you can for greatest amount of aid consideration, especially gift aid and HPSL.

So as Alternates, we need to go through the same processes for filing for financial aid?

Anyone who already attended an Info Session want to give us an idea of how everything went? And when you heard from your student hosts (I'm going next weekend, but haven't heard anything from them yet...)?

I'm going next weekend too! Looking forward to meeting everyone:). I'm not staying with a host though, so I apologize for this post not being helpful to you!

I'm pretty sure this weekend is the first one (Jan 27-28) I will be flying up tomorrow and attending the session this weekend! I'll let you know how it goes! I am staying with a student host, and I got an email from them this weekend. So I'm sure you'll hear from yours this weekend!

Haha, I looked at my packet last night and realized that, yes, this weekend is the first. Do let us know how it goes!

Looking forward to hearing how the first session went. I'm heading up on Thursday for info session /PhD interview and lucky enough to have student hosts for Thursday/Friday night.

Looking forward to hearing how the first session went. I'm heading up on Thursday for info session /PhD interview and lucky enough to have student hosts for Thursday/Friday night.

Good luck, Bismarck! :) :luck: