Cornell c/o 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got back from my Cornell weekend and it was amazing! We had a long day 9-5 the first day, but it was well worth it. We had a mock PBL which was great because you get a great feel for the program, heard from a few members of the faculty about their research and positions at the school, had a wonderful tour, and got to meet a lot of the students. It was very relaxing since we didn't have interviews, so we were really able to enjoy the experience. Overall I absolutely loved it!

Members don't see this ad.

So glad to hear it was awesome. Headed up there Thursday too for the DVM/PhD thing!

That's so exciting! You'll have a great time! Hope the weather is good for you, that's been a problem in years past!

Members don't see this ad :)
So who's going to the Info Session this weekend? I have a full 10 hours of airplanes/airports on Thursday to get there for Friday morning!

So who's going to the Info Session this weekend? I have a full 10 hours of airplanes/airports on Thursday to get there for Friday morning!

I'll be in on Thursday afternoon and I believe Bismarck will be as well.

I'm coming up late Thursday night. I'm really excited it sounds like it will be a lot of fun.
I was wondering what everyone planned on wearing or what people wore last week.
Thanks!

I'm wearing jeans + long-sleeve shirt (aka pretty much what I would wear to class) and saving the formal wear for Sunday and beyond.

I'll be up there this weekend as well! I'm tentatively planning on wearing black dress pants, a sweater and a button down shirt under my sweater on Friday and then slightly more casual ( like jeans, boots, and a nice top?) on Saturday- I asked the student host that I'm staying with what I should wear and she said business casual but people range in everything from jeans to suits so I don't think it matters all that much. I'm an alternate candidate so I'm trying to dress a little nicer on Friday at least.

I think I'm doing jeans, boots, and a thermal for Friday and probably something similar for Saturday. Which reminds me I need to do laundry...

I think I'm doing jeans, boots, and a thermal for Friday and probably something similar for Saturday. Which reminds me I need to do laundry...

Are we the same person? This was literally my plan (and I just did laundry.)

/donning tin foil any second now

I'm going up Thursday as well. I was so happy to see these posts as I was just staring at all my clothes wondering what in the world I should be putting in my suitcase. Thanks!!

Safely to Ithaca. On the couch at my host's house. Her cat is asleep next to me.

Is anyone else definitely set on Cornell? Is there a Class of 2016 facebook group? I can only find the Class of 2015 group but I don't want to start one lol....I'm asking because I'd love to find pet-friendly housing earlier rather than later and I definitely want to have other first-years for roommates!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished the DVM Info session and I am sold on the curriculum/school (sorry NC State et al..) Working my way through the combined program interview and see where I land :)

As far as a facebook group goes I guess somebody has to take the plunge

Yeah, I just finished up at Cornell this morning, and I'm definitely attending in the fall. :)

I looked for a FB group and was unable to find one as well, so I'm sure if you make one, the rest of us will join!

Nope, I had Dr. Berudoadsjfioaje or something along those lines (okay, it wasn't quite that, but it started with a B and was quite long). Were you in the production animal group for lunch yesterday though?

Last edited:
Nah, I had met another student from CA during tutor group and I thought of this thread. I went with the research lunch group yesterday.

I haven't officially accepted yet but I just got back from the info session as well and am 100% sold on the Cornell way of doing things. The PBL mock tutorial group was absolutely great, and I would find it hard after that info session to be excited about going to a school where it was lecture 9-5 every day. If not for the high OOS tuition I would have sent in my "YES!" 2 seconds after the tour was over. Most likely will still go anyway and just be very poor for a long time because honestly they made a good case of why a little extra debt (ok, a lot of extra debt in most cases) is worth it to go to a place like Cornell.

Moral of story for those of you who are going to an upcoming info session: get excited! It is really wonderful.

Any idea how many students will be admitted from the alternate list?

I talked to Jennifer the other day and she wouldn't tell me numbers or anything but she says she does see a lot of movement and to remain hopeful...? not really the most specific answer but it's something

They admit exactly 102 applicants. For every admitted student that does not choose to attend they offer that spot to someone on the waitlist so that the class size will end up being 102.. so basically, it's a toss-up and depends on how many of the original students admitted choose to go elsewhere.

Just wanted to say hi to the few other Cornell people who lurk around on SDN- why are there so few of us haha?

Hello to you! Seems like there are very few of us here, but the Facebook group has a good number of people.

'Tis true... just asked to join. I'm more of an anonymous SDNer than a public facebook-er, but I guess I'll have to make a change :)

to whoever was asking about the waitlist: at the info session i attended last weekend, they mentioned that only 60% of OOS admitted students accept there spot. so there is a pretty good chance of getting in off the OOS waitlist, because about 20 ppl would decline their spot...