Cornell c/o 2018 Applicants!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will be attending the Jan 31st info session! Any must-does around town (or not in town)? I'm taking my husband so I want to explore and get a good feel for the area (and hopefully get him excited about the area) :)

If the weather isn't treacherous, I would try to see some of the gorges, waterfalls, etc. You really don't even have to leave the campus to see some of them. (The undergraduate campus, that is. But it's all within walking distance of the vet campus.) And I honestly recommend checking out the whole campus on foot - it is absolutely stunning even at this time of year.

As far as activities in town, go walk around the Commons and check out the shops. Plenty of great eats and bars to be had (I recommend pretty much everything :D)

Honestly, Ithaca is not a bustling city, so don't expect tons of museums or art galleries, although there are some small venues around town. It's a fun, artsy smartsy bubble in the middle of rural NYS. I love it there!

Members don't see this ad.

On a different note, has anyone received their paper acceptance letter? I haven't gotten mine and I'm a little sad. :/

I didn't even know there would be a paper letter, lol!

I suppose I'll receive the financial aid stuff in the mail this week since I'm all the way in CA. I did submit my CSS profile/FAFSA today. Fingers crossed for some good financial aid!

Honestly, Ithaca is not a bustling city, so don't expect tons of museums or art galleries, although there are some small venues around town. It's a fun, artsy smartsy bubble in the middle of rural NYS. I love it there!

There definitely aren't a ton, but the places that Ithaca does have are pretty neat. The Museum of the Earth is actually really cool, but you have to drive ~10 min or take the TCAT. There's also the Johnson Museum located right on the undergrad campus (off of the Arts Quad) and the Cornell Lab of Ornithology (about a 10 minute drive away. not sure if the TCAT stops there). There's also the Sciencenter which is geared more towards the younger population but still fun to visit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I swear the woman who called me told me there would be a paper letter ...

Maybe I'm just being old fashioned by wishing for one. :confused:

haha yep :nod: ... we're getting a paper letter as well via super duper snail mail! :oldman:

What are people wearing to the information session? lol... just being safe guys

I think there are a few hotels out by the airport. Are you coming in Wed. night or Thursday night?
As of right now, I will arrive on Wednesday. I requested to stay with a student, whom I received a confirmation email from, on Thursday and Friday nights, so these two nights I am set. However, I don't want to bother them for one extra night, so I want to find a hotel near the airport for a night. Quick thought, is it okay to crash at an airport for one night?

As of right now, I will arrive on Wednesday. I requested to stay with a student, whom I received a confirmation email from, on Thursday and Friday nights, so these two nights I am set. However, I don't want to bother them for one extra night, so I want to find a hotel near the airport for a night. Quick thought, is it okay to crash at an airport for one night?

It's a small airport and I think it closes completely for a few hours late at night. You'll have to find lodging elsewhere likely.

As for what to wear: dress comfortably. You'll be walking around the school on a tour and going through the hospital if memory serves. No need for suit/tie/dress/heels unless you really want to. I don't think it will 'give you an edge' if you are on the waitlist as nobody is hanging with a clipboard to notice details like that. A good middle-ground would be slacks and a nice shirt/blouse if you'd like.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone applying to the VIP summer program?

I was thinking about it... but we would need to accept our offer first, right? And then I saw that no research experience is preferred.... so I'm not quite sure. Does anyone else have any other info on it, that wasn't on the website?

The $5000 is /very/ tempting, but I already have research experience so it seems silly to apply for something you know you don't have a decent shot at. It also kind of sucks that the deadline is early February, so you pretty much need to have already decided on going to Cornell AND asked for LOR's as soon as possible.

You could attend the program even if you don't matriculate at Cornell. I've done the program twice and we had students from other schools including a few international students. I would encourage you to apply anyways and make the most of the opportunity. Side note: Cornell is hosting the Merial/NIH conference this year even if you do a summer research program through another school you'll end up in Ithaca even if it's only a few days.

You could attend the program even if you don't matriculate at Cornell. I've done the program twice and we had students from other schools including a few international students. I would encourage you to apply anyways and make the most of the opportunity. Side note: Cornell is hosting the Merial/NIH conference this year even if you do a summer research program through another school you'll end up in Ithaca even if it's only a few days.

Oh, my bad! Thanks for the clarification.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, I don't mean to harp on the same subject, but has anyone gotten a paper acceptance letter? A tiny part of me is paranoid that the phone call and the electronic letter were a mistake. I NEED REAL PAPER. Haha. I emailed Jenn Mailey, who is normally very responsive, but haven't heard back yet.

Okay, I don't mean to harp on the same subject, but has anyone gotten a paper acceptance letter? A tiny part of me is paranoid that the phone call and the electronic letter were a mistake. I NEED REAL PAPER. Haha. I emailed Jenn Mailey, who is normally very responsive, but haven't heard back yet.

No paper letter, but a financial aid information and application packet came through snail mail shortly after the phone calls and electronic letters were released. :)

I never got anything in the mail. Just emailed Jennifer Mailey, who said she'd send out another one. I think all of the financial info is available on the website, but it'll still be nice to have it on paper.

https://www.veritasdvmblog.com/choosing-veterinary-college-best/
Hello all,
Here is a helpful article on how to choose the right veterinary college, fresh off the press from the blog of the former dean of Cornell CVM. I work for Dean Smith, he is an incredible mentor, and I strongly recommend reading his blog and contacting him with any questions you may have! He was the chair of the admissions committee for a few years (not this one though) and loves talking to students.

I don't remember if someone asked this question earlier but what is everyone wearing to the information session?
If I wear a zip up hoodie, jeans, and boots, would I be super under-dressed?

So... did anyone who is attending the info session this Friday get the impression that guests are invited? I'm a little bit confused because the tentative schedule previously sent out made it seem like guests were invited (because one of the scheduled activities said " during this time guests/parents will watch a video"... or something along those lines.

Mike, I'm going business casual... but I'm also an alternate.. so I'm playing it safe :)

Last edited:
So... did anyone who is attending the info session this Friday get the impression that guests are invited? I'm a little bit confused because the tentative schedule previously sent out made it seem like guests were invited (because one of the scheduled activities said " during this time guests/parents will watch a video"... or something along those lines.

Mike, I'm going business casual... but I'm also an alternate.. so I'm playing it safe :)
I got a reminder email about the info session today, and this is what it said about guests:
"Guests- Please note, this program is for admitted students and alternates. If you are traveling with guests you might pass along this web site for activities, restaurants, and things to do in Ithaca while you are attending the Information Session."

...so I'm guessing that means they don't really want guests coming along. I agree that it is a little unclear.

Re: dress code- I am also an alternate and I was thinking business casual. It sounds like a long day, though, and I don't know if I can make it in my nice shoes lol.

It's a small airport and I think it closes completely for a few hours late at night. You'll have to find lodging elsewhere likely.

As for what to wear: dress comfortably. You'll be walking around the school on a tour and going through the hospital if memory serves. No need for suit/tie/dress/heels unless you really want to. I don't think it will 'give you an edge' if you are on the waitlist as nobody is hanging with a clipboard to notice details like that. A good middle-ground would be slacks and a nice shirt/blouse if you'd like.

Quoting myself from earlier in this thread. Don't go too crazy and try to have fun. Business casual sounds fine as the student panel/tour guides won't be dressed to the nines either. As for guests, I would email Jennifer for clarification. In the past there has been an opportunity for +1s to watch a video during a student small group breakout session.

Did anyone else NOT attending the Feb 21 info session get an email about bringing a guest?

Did anyone else NOT attending the Feb 21 info session get an email about bringing a guest?

I'm attending this Friday and got a message confirming that we cannot bring a guest with us... too full I guess! My message says that the Feb 21st one is open to guests though.

I'm attending this Friday and got a message confirming that we cannot bring a guest with us... too full I guess! My message says that the Feb 21st one is open to guests though.

Ah, I see. I'm going to the 2/21 session and got an email that there were a few spaces available for guests, I guess because the last session tends to be smaller. Looks like I lucked out.

Have fun in Ithaca! Safe trip.

I am going to the one on Friday. I was planning on just wearing a nice outfit that I would wear to class, but I don't want to be under dressed. I am already accepted but I don't want to feel like an idiot all day if everyone is super dressed up. I am not sure if it helps but I am driving from the Binghamton area if anyone around here needs a ride. I am probably leaving early Friday morning and returning Saturday but I may leave Thursday night if my host is ok with it. Also I am super excited that it is only a few days away :)

Just a quick note about dress code: please wear comfy (closed-toe) shoes! Besides the fact that the windchill has been in the negatives for the past week and that there is still snow everywhere, you will be going on a tour of the school and hospital (including the LA hospital where we'll all wear shoe covers). Last year I wore black slacks, a blouse, open cardigan, and (new) danskos. I was not under or over dressed :) I'll be doing some of the tours for the accepted students day so perhaps I'll be meeting some of you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I don't remember if someone asked this question earlier but what is everyone wearing to the information session?
If I wear a zip up hoodie, jeans, and boots, would I be super under-dressed?

I'm already accepted but am planning to dress closer to business casual than to casual. This is mostly because I just bought new dress slacks and have no place else to wear them. :rolleyes:

I'm already accepted but am planning to dress closer to business casual than to casual. This is mostly because I just bought new dress slacks and have no place else to wear them. :rolleyes:
Meep...
I will be the odd under-dressed person since I am moving back home to another country until school starts right after this info session so I have no nice clothes that are not packed.. :/
Now everyone there can recognize me this Friday :eek: lol

I'm attending the Feb 7th session and I'm worried about bringing guests! I was planning on bringing my mom and dad along to check out the school so they are on the same page as I am. Do you think they will be able to do any part of the day? Or will they just have to drop me off and fend for themselves?

Unfortunately there's not a whole lot to do in the winter...your parents could take a walk around the undergrad campus (the quads, the Cornell store, libraries?). If you're driving there then the Commons would be nice, depending on the weather. There are some decent restaurants there.

Unfortunately there's not a whole lot to do in the winter...your parents could take a walk around the undergrad campus (the quads, the Cornell store, libraries?). If you're driving there then the Commons would be nice, depending on the weather. There are some decent restaurants there.

I disagree! You can't walk around too much in this weather but if there really was "not a whole lot to do in the winter" that would be pretty depressing since it's "winter" here for a long time. The Cornell diary bar is open and serving ice cream again, which I've heard is really good. (http://living.sas.cornell.edu/dine/wheretoeat/cafescoffeehouses/cornelldairybar.cfm) It's a five minute walk from the vet school and it's sort of cool that the milk comes from the vet school's dairy herd. If your parents have all day to kill they could drive around to one of the wineries or head to Ithaca Brewery for a flight. There are shops and restaurants downtown/in the commons, etc. Pretty much just google "things to do in Ithaca" and a bunch of stuff will come up. It's not Manhattan but there are definitely things to do if you have a free day.

I'm attending the Feb 7th session and I'm worried about bringing guests! I was planning on bringing my mom and dad along to check out the school so they are on the same page as I am. Do you think they will be able to do any part of the day? Or will they just have to drop me off and fend for themselves?

If you haven't already, email Jennifer Mailey and ask if you can bring your parents. The first info session is always the biggest so you may be able to if you're going on the 7th. But the best thing to do to really find out would be to ask :) I attended a later info session last year and brought my husband with me and many other attendee's had guests with them.

I went to Cornell for a high school program and I have to say EAT THE ICE CREAM, it is SO GOOD. There's some flavor called Triple Play Chocolate or something that has lived in my memory for years.

Does anyone know when people typically hear back from Cornell about getting off the waitlist? I assume they'll start making decisions after the April 15th deadline, but the letter mentioned that some might hear earlier. I'm just curious if there's any precedent.

I just withdrew from the alternate list--I hope everyone who's still on the list has the opportunity to go to Cornell!

Does anyone know how many people are on the alternate list? I know in the past it was like 25, but I feel like everyone I meet is an alternate as well. Starting to lose hope :/

Does anyone know how many people are on the alternate list? I know in the past it was like 25, but I feel like everyone I meet is an alternate as well. Starting to lose hope :/

I'm wondering the same thing as well. It'd be nice to know what my chances are

Does anyone know when people typically hear back from Cornell about getting off the waitlist? I assume they'll start making decisions after the April 15th deadline, but the letter mentioned that some might hear earlier. I'm just curious if there's any precedent.

I asked Jennifer and she told me she typically starts making calls around mid-March. But she has made calls as late as July. :arghh:

Hi everyone! How was the information session last weekend?Any recommendations on what to/not to do?
Please comment on the dress code, such as what were most people wearing... I am going to an info session soon and I am still not convinced on what to wear. Thanks!

Khakis and a nice shirt/blouse and comfortable shoes is fine. Dress a tad nicer than you would for regular class but don't got too crazy.

Bismark, I just noticed the Army emblem under your name. Did you join the veterinary corps perchance?

So, is anyone working on filling out the "profile" thingie? I'm a little bit confused about what to put for the "expected income" for my spouse during the academic year. If we end up going there and moving.. he will be unemployed until he finds a new job. I thought that I would estimate a minimum wage full time job.. but my mom is telling me that I should put that his expected income is zero because we can't guarantee that he gets a job.. Any thoughts on this? I'll probably end up calling tomorrow to clarify, but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

Bismark, I just noticed the Army emblem under your name. Did you join the veterinary corps perchance?

I am indeed a Veterinary HPSP recipient. There should be a few threads kicking around if you have questions about it. Otherwise, start another one so everyone can benefit from your questions (if you have them).

That is hilarious!! The guy on top of everyone's shoulders was the doc that ran one of the mock group session thingies when I went to the new student info session.

Was his name Dr. Maza? I worked with him in a few S/N clinics and he talked about all his marathons and biathlons and triathlons and things. I can see he was telling the truth.

The guy on the far left was my year in undergrad. So weird.

Oh man, poor Maza. Someone showed him this link in anatomy lecture last week and he laughed, then said he was disappointed since he's been working on his abs a lot since the photos were taken :rofl: