Cornell c/o 2018 Applicants!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected. IS. Not surprised, but as it is my first decision notice in my first application cycle - I'm devastated.

Members don't see this ad.

For all the alternates it is highly encouraged to still go to an admitted students day if you are interested because they are more likely to consider you for a spot when one opens up (and they will) if you go! It shows that you have a lot of interest! so you should all definitely still sign up for a day to come see the school!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats, all those accepted and waitlisted at Cornell! A fantastic school and program, to be certain! For those of you who haven't yet been, Ithaca is a gorgeous campus, and Cornell's teaching hospital is tops. To my SDN friend Chitty, and many others who walk in similar shoes, my heart goes out to you. Rejection is very difficult to assimilate- especially to one's first choice institution. I applaud you for throwing your hat in the ring and giving it your all! You and I are both applicants at Wisconsin. Perhaps we will end up at the same institution after all ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected as expected. I really liked the school and figured the only 100% way to not get accepted was to not apply lol Ah well.

Alternate OOS!! Still waiting to hear from schools. They say your chances of getting an offer goes up if you visit for the Admissions Days, are your chances higher if you go sooner though?

Rejected. IS. Not surprised, but as it is my first decision notice in my first application cycle - I'm devastated.
I applied last year as IS and was rejected. I didn't get into any school or even an interview. It was a downer, but I picked myself up, worked on the weaknesses in my application, and applied again. Now I have one acceptance, waitlisted at Cornell, and have several other interview offers. So chin up! If you don't get in the first time, it certainly does not mean you won't get in the second or third time around!

Reactions: 5 users
I applied last year as IS and was rejected. I didn't get into any school or even an interview. It was a downer, but I picked myself up, worked on the weaknesses in my application, and applied again. Now I have one acceptance, waitlisted at Cornell, and have several other interview offers. So chin up! If you don't get in the first time, it certainly does not mean you won't get in the second or third time around!

Congrats & thank you for the advice.

So I'm going to the info session on Jan 31st. Any other alternates going?

I'm going on Feb 7! Anyone else going on that day?
I declined my interviews at other schools today. How I see it is that beeing OOS all schools on the east cost/midwest are practically as expensive/cold/far as Cornell and I rather freeze at a prestigious Ivy League, private school(I won't get all the "budget cut" drama I hear as an undergrad at a state school), and school ranked #1 than equally freeze somewhere else. Hope this will help!

I'm planning to go Feb 21, since I have my fiance's naval graduation Feb 7 and I'd sort of like to hear back from Wisconsin before I make any decisions in my head.

Threw my hat into the ring to host some prospective students. Let me know if you guys have questions about getting to Ithaca or where to stay, etc.

Weather today: snowing again for a change.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if significant others are allowed to go to the info session? Planning to bring my husband with me to ithaca to check out the area

Going on Feb 21st with my SO. We're taking the campus-to-campus bus from NYC. Thankfully our friend agreed to house us on Thursday and Friday night. The only annoying part is that it's in the Commons, so we'll probably take the TCAT up to the vet school.

Anyone know if significant others are allowed to go to the info session? Planning to bring my husband with me to ithaca to check out the area

I read in previous threads (c/o 2017? 2016?) that most people do bring a parent/SO/friend and that there are things for them to do while we are doing our vet stuff. They can always go check out the Cornell store on the undergrad campus and buy lots of Big Red paraphernalia :)

The Commons area is a fun place to check out. It'll give you a good feel for what Ithaca is like. Some restaurants I would recommend are Saigon Kitchen, Taste of Thai, Madeleines (pricey), Just a Taste (tapas), Moosewood (vegetarian), Maxie's (cajun/creole), Collegetown Bagels (great breakfast/bagels), Carriage House Cafe (breakfast/brunch), The Nines (great pizza/trivia night), John Thomas steakhouse (really expensive but supposed to be good. a drive from Ithaca). The Piggery, on route 13, is a fantastic local butcher shop that's worth check out if you're a foodie.

Avoid the Korean and Japanese places. Not worth it!

I'm going to information session on the 7th with my mother :joyful: . We're planning on staying in a hotel .. any suggestions?

P.S- Thanks to the current students who are offering to host people! If I wasn't going with my mother, I would have definitely taken someone up on that offer!

Hotels:

The Statler (on Campus). The most expensive accommodation for sure. Pick this one if someone else is picking up the tab.
The Holiday Inn by the Commons is a bit more budget friendly though still a tad pricey. Ditto for the Hilton on the Commons too.
There are a number of of smaller motels scattered around too (Meadow Court Inn) that are budget-friendly but a less convenient drive in and not likely to impress.

Honestly, I'd probably go with the Holiday Inn; I stayed there two years ago during my DVM/PhD interview session and it was nice to be able to walk to the Commons at night for dinner/drinks.

Edit: Not a paid spokesperson for any of these :)

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if there are any shuttles to/from the airport to the school, or if someone is supposed to pick us up? I have no idea how this works. I'm definitely not getting a rental car. Being from Florida, driving in the snow/ice is a suicide mission. If anyone has information on this, please let me know? I chose to do the student hosting on Thursday and Friday nights.

I'm going on Feb 7! Anyone else going on that day?
I declined my interviews at other schools today. How I see it is that beeing OOS all schools on the east cost/midwest are practically as expensive/cold/far as Cornell and I rather freeze at a prestigious Ivy League, private school(I won't get all the "budget cut" drama I hear as an undergrad at a state school), and school ranked #1 than equally freeze somewhere else. Hope this will help!

Please reexamine your attitude. You will be colleagues with students coming from schools not Ivy league and not ranked #1 (which, btw, means nothing). Also, budget cuts in undergrad schools have nothing to do with professional schools. Budget cuts are happening across the board. You may hear MORE about it in professional school because they are trying to keep undergrad tuition low (ish), so they raise professional fees accordingly.

Reactions: 4 users
Please reexamine your attitude. You will be colleagues with students coming from schools not Ivy league and not ranked #1 (which, btw, means nothing). Also, budget cuts in undergrad schools have nothing to do with professional schools. Budget cuts are happening across the board. You may hear MORE about it in professional school because they are trying to keep undergrad tuition low (ish), so they raise professional fees accordingly.

^This.

Does anyone know if there are any shuttles to/from the airport to the school, or if someone is supposed to pick us up? I have no idea how this works. I'm definitely not getting a rental car. Being from Florida, driving in the snow/ice is a suicide mission. If anyone has information on this, please let me know? I chose to do the student hosting on Thursday and Friday nights.

When are you going? If you're going on the 31st of January, you could fly into Albany, NY and I could drive (it's about 4.5-5hrs drive from there). I'm from New England/New York, so I'm a bit more prepared for this kind of weather.

I assume you are flying into Tompkins county airport. If so, here are some options instead of renting a car: http://www.flyithaca.com/content/view/ground-transportation.html It has been a few years since I have used any of these resources, but I am sure current residents can give their thoughts on reliability and such. Best of luck!

Congratulations to you guys from this thread that have been accepted to Cornell! To everyone else, I wish you the best of luck in getting off of the alternate list or getting into another school of your choice. I was placed on the alternate list and I am extremely thrilled! If any other alternates get THAT call after a while, please share so the rest of us can have some hope!

For everyone flying in and staying with a student: once you get an assignment, let them know your travel plans. The airport isn't too far of a drive (some people live right by it actually). You may find them amenable to driving you around. Much cheaper than a rental and more fun for all.

I am from South Carolina and am considering driving up for the info session on the 21st of February. I was hoping that the weather may be calmer by then, but I have no idea how the weather is in NY. I will save a good deal of money if I drive, but obviously do not want to face any safety issues in case of winter weather. Any advice?

This might be a silly question.. but are taxis an appropriate option for getting around?

I'm going on the 31st of January (pretty sure)! Also to anyone flying in, Rochester and Elmira are not too far from Ithaca and have airports. Buffalo is a bit of a hike but not too bad and Binghamton also has an airport if you need to consider other, cheaper options.

I am from South Carolina and am considering driving up for the info session on the 21st of February. I was hoping that the weather may be calmer by then, but I have no idea how the weather is in NY. I will save a good deal of money if I drive, but obviously do not want to face any safety issues in case of winter weather. Any advice?

What type of car are you driving? I would avoid getting a hotel close to the commons if you are worried about driving up and down steep hills because if we get 1-2 inches of snow you may not see the plows come out immediately. If you stay with a student they will be more than happy to drive you to/from school.

Edit: I think taxis (paid) seem overkill when you can stay with a student and have them drive you to school, dinner, etc. There are a number of taxi services in the area should you decide to venture out on your own though.

I do admire your attitude, ChittyBang! The first time I got rejected from a school I was thought the world was crashing around me :rolleyes:
What type of car are you driving? I would avoid getting a hotel close to the commons if you are worried about driving up and down steep hills because if we get 1-2 inches of snow you may not see the plows come out immediately. If you stay with a student they will be more than happy to drive you to/from school.

Edit: I think taxis (paid) seem overkill when you can stay with a student and have them drive you to school, dinner, etc. There are a number of taxi services in the area should you decide to venture out on your own though.

I drive a Prius which is the only reason driving is cost effective. I am actually planning on going up there with a couple of my friends, so I won't be staying with a student unfortunately. I'm kind of winging this if you can't tell :). I will probably just fly.

I'm planning on bringing my husband with me so I don't think that the student housing/driving would be an option.. although I would totally do it if I was coming alone. Sounds like a ton of fun.

Slightly different topic, sorry, but it's been on my mind lately. Anyone know when financial aid packages "arrive"? Is it rolling, or do they tend to come all at once regardless of submission date?

Slightly different topic, sorry, but it's been on my mind lately. Anyone know when financial aid packages "arrive"? Is it rolling, or do they tend to come all at once regardless of submission date?

You will submit all of the paperwork and the Financial aid people will rush to hand out aid offers ahead of the April 15th deadline for decisions. Maybe get them by Late March early April? I don't think it's handled individually though. Incoming students get priority, then rising 4th years, 3rd years, etc.

You will submit all of the paperwork and the Financial aid people will rush to hand out aid offers ahead of the April 15th deadline for decisions. Maybe get them by Late March early April? I don't think it's handled individually though. Incoming students get priority, then rising 4th years, 3rd years, etc.

Awesome, thanks!

Has anyone used the TCAT buses in Ithaca? I'm planning on doing that instead of renting a car. You can get a 5-day pass in Zone 1 for $15 that covers the CVM and downtown. It sure beats the taxi fare and rentals.

Has anyone used the TCAT buses in Ithaca? I'm planning on doing that instead of renting a car. You can get a 5-day pass in Zone 1 for $15 that covers the CVM and downtown. It sure beats the taxi fare and rentals.

The TCAT is actually an excellent way to get around Ithaca. You can get from the Commons to the vet school with no or a single transfer (takes 10-15 minutes?) and there are a ton of buses running all the time.

http://tcat.nextinsight.com/

OH I forgot to mention...the Dairy Bar is finally re-opening!! Fresh ice-cream and sundaes made on campus :biglove:

OH I forgot to mention...the Dairy Bar is finally re-opening!! Fresh ice-cream and sundaes made on campus :biglove:

I got to experience the Dairy Bar for one glorious, fatty, sugary year before it closed for renovations. It reopened shortly after I graduated. Needless to say, I am psyched to have a reason to go back to Ithaca and indulge in the sweet (and salty) goodies.

I got to experience the Dairy Bar for one glorious, fatty, sugary year before it closed for renovations. It reopened shortly after I graduated. Needless to say, I am psyched to have a reason to go back to Ithaca and indulge in the sweet (and salty) goodies.

I used to get an ice cream sundae at 10AM and eat it during Animal Nutrition :p I was so bummed when they started selling Perry's ice cream. Can't wait for the original to return in the fall!

I got some paper work to fill out from them in the mail on Friday. You have to fill that out and I think then they can provide you with some aid packages. Not sure if that really answered your question.

Alternate OOS (international) here as well!! Woot woot, so excited!! I'll be there on Feb. 21, and I cannot wait.

I have a quick question for the locals. Are there any cheap hotels near the airport? I'll be flying in from Taiwan, and my flight will arrive around 9 PM, so I figure I should stay at the hotel for one night, and spend the next two days (hopefully) with a current student.

btw, thank you so much for opening your house/apartment to let us have a place to stay!

Alternate OOS (international) here as well!! Woot woot, so excited!! I'll be there on Feb. 21, and I cannot wait.

I have a quick question for the locals. Are there any cheap hotels near the airport? I'll be flying in from Taiwan, and my flight will arrive around 9 PM, so I figure I should stay at the hotel for one night, and spend the next two days (hopefully) with a current student.

btw, thank you so much for opening your house/apartment to let us have a place to stay!

I think there are a few hotels out by the airport. Are you coming in Wed. night or Thursday night?

I will be attending the Jan 31st info session! Any must-does around town (or not in town)? I'm taking my husband so I want to explore and get a good feel for the area (and hopefully get him excited about the area) :)

I got some paper work to fill out from them in the mail on Friday. You have to fill that out and I think then they can provide you with some aid packages. Not sure if that really answered your question.

I was referring to when they send out their financial aid offers after you submit everything. I haven't received anything in the mail- has anyone else?

I'll probably have FAFSA/CSS done by the end of the month (thank you, parents' CPA) since those are estimates but I'm not sure if the W2's and tax returns will be done by the Feb 15 deadline.

IS accepted student, just booked the January 31st info session, I requested to stay with a current student for both nights. BEYOND Excited

I got a set of forms in the mail as well about the financial aid package . It was postmarked on the 8th but I got it on either the 9th or the 10th.