Cornell c/o 2024 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just some perspective for you guys since I know a lot of you are hurting and disappointed.

Cornell is my IS school and I also went there for undergrad. I applied 2 years in a row. 1st year I was rejected, second year I was waitlisted but never taken off. I ended up getting off of the waitlist at another school during that 2nd application cycle and going there. During my first year of vet school, I applied to transfer to Cornell Vet for my 2nd year. I got in and am now at Cornell, but I would’ve also been happy to stay at my first vet school.

My point being: don’t give up. Cornell is a great school but try your hardest to get into a school, ANY vet school and you’ll do fine. Also do file reviews everywhere you are rejected or waitlisted at! It’ll show you where you can improve if you have to do another application cycle.

This is a really great point and thank you for writing this.
Also was a Cornell reject for undergrad where I was diehard determined to go to Cornell, I ended up going to the University of Michigan and having an absolute blast! As @johnnaboo stated, any other vet school you go to will give you great training as a doctor and whether you train at Cornell or someplace else, know that there are tons of opportunities out there for you.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just some perspective for you guys since I know a lot of you are hurting and disappointed.

Cornell is my IS school and I also went there for undergrad. I applied 2 years in a row. 1st year I was rejected, second year I was waitlisted but never taken off. I ended up getting off of the waitlist at another school during that 2nd application cycle and going there. During my first year of vet school, I applied to transfer to Cornell Vet for my 2nd year. I got in and am now at Cornell, but I would’ve also been happy to stay at my first vet school.

My point being: don’t give up. Cornell is a great school but try your hardest to get into a school, ANY vet school and you’ll do fine. Also do file reviews everywhere you are rejected or waitlisted at! It’ll show you where you can improve if you have to do another application cycle.

If you don’t mind me asking, which school did you transfer from? I got into another school but would be interested in trying to transfer next year due to the cost of the other school.

If you don’t mind me asking, which school did you transfer from? I got into another school but would be interested in trying to transfer next year due to the cost of the other school.
I would be interested in this as well.

I would be interested in this as well.
I went to Wisconsin for my first year, but the other transfers in my class did their first years at Ross & SGU

• Love
OOS rejection via email to check tracking page about an hour ago

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
OOS rejected, not too surprised, Cornell was a long shot for me. Good luck and congrats to everyone who was accepted!

I went to Wisconsin for my first year, but the other transfers in my class did their first years at Ross & SGU

I don’t want to bother you too much, but could I send you a PM? I’d be interested to hear more about the transfer process.

IS Rejected. Very disappointed but moving on! Congrats to all of you accepted!!

Reactions: 4 users
Huge congratulations to everyone accepted!!!! That’s an enormous accomplishment!!! And best of luck to everyone rejected (and waitlisted) on your future veterinary endeavors :love:

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
IS rejected via email at 11 am.
Honestly didn't expect it.. but such is life. :(

Good luck to all those accepted/waitlisted!

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Do we just have to send our final transcripts before June 15th or should we send our fall transcripts now?

Anyone know how much (if any) movement to expect on the waitlist? Just trying not to get my hopes up too much!

Reactions: 1 users
OOS (international) rejected
GPA3.6, GRE 165Q158V4W, various vet, animal and research experience.
Cornell was my first choice and I was hoping for a waitlist but :(((
Disappointed but still have to move on and prepare for other interviews!!
Good luck everyone!!!!!

IS rejected. I really thought I'd be at least waitlisted. But win some lose some right.
Congrats to all those accepted and waitlisted!!

Congrats to those who were accepted and I wish everyone else the best!

Quick question about Cornell: You CANNOT apply for state residency, correct? Or am I misinformed? Thank you!

Congrats to those who were accepted and I wish everyone else the best!

Quick question about Cornell: You CANNOT apply for state residency, correct? Or am I misinformed? Thank you!
On my waitlist letter, it said that I would have to pay OOS tuition for all 4 years

hello, i was wondering if any current Cornell vet students could give me some insight if you have time.
i'd like to know what the typical day and class schedule of a Cornell vet student looks like. how many hours of lecture are you in? how many hours in discussion/labs? what time does first class usually start? when do you leave campus and go home to start homework? how much time do you spend studying? is there a good mix of PBL and lecture, or is it more geared towards PBL?
thank you so much for anyone who's willing to tackle these questions :)

Reactions: 5 users
hello, i was wondering if any current Cornell vet students could give me some insight if you have time.
i'd like to know what the typical day and class schedule of a Cornell vet student looks like. how many hours of lecture are you in? how many hours in discussion/labs? what time does first class usually start? when do you leave campus and go home to start homework? how much time do you spend studying? is there a good mix of PBL and lecture, or is it more geared towards PBL?
bump

@Miranda Senft

Is the financial aid website not working for anyone else?

I'm an alternate but I still got the financial aid email... I'll take it as a good sign :p

Is anyone else's tracking page not fully loading to show pre-requisites and the decision?

Congrats to everyone accepted! Shameless plug that my friend and I are looking for a roommate for next year, DM me if you are already set on Cornell and want more info! I am a current second year and my friend is getting her PhD in dairy science at the vet school. The house is super nice and 5 minutes from the school! :)

feel free to pm me for more info! all of this will for sure be covered in the prospective student days, but happy to answer as well.

Quick question! What do (female) students wear to the information sessions for admitted students? Not sure if I should dress as I would for an interview or if it is more casual... I will be attending on January 31(!!!) so any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!

Quick question! What do (female) students wear to the information sessions for admitted students? Not sure if I should dress as I would for an interview or if it is more casual... I will be attending on January 31(!!!) so any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!
I went in very casual clothing, as did most other people.

Definitely don't need to dress as you would for an interview! I wore dark jeans, boots, and a nice sweater and felt that was perfect. Some people were even more casual than that (leggings and sweatshirts). Wear whatever you're comfortable in as it's a very long day and will likely be cold!

I’m a waitlisted applicant, but I just got an email that said “congratulations on your acceptance.” Freaked me out for a second, but my portal still says I’m an alternate?

I’m a waitlisted applicant, but I just got an email that said “congratulations on your acceptance.” Freaked me out for a second, but my portal still says I’m an alternate?
I would definitely call and check. Fingers crossed for you!

They messed up the initial email - should have stated accepted/alternate students. They invited all of them to the dinner

I am applying to the DVM/Phd program at Cornell this september! To the people that were accepted can you put anything and everything that helped you here? If i don't get accepted into this program I might never get my dream profession, ever.

Last edited:
I am applying to the DVM/Phd program at Cornell this september! To the people that were accepted can you put anything and everything that helped you here? If i don't get accepted into this program I might never get my dream profession, ever.
I got accepted and while having a good gpa and lots of experience is good, I’ve seen before that they really value GRE (specifically verbal) scores so make sure you have a high one! I got 86 percentile for verbal and think that that helped me quite a bit since I got admitted here and didn’t even get interviews at some other schools who have lower averages of gpa

I had a low verbal (50%) and still got accepted, so it won’t be the end of the world if you don’t score high! I had a lot of work/research in the pharmaceutical industry that likely helped me stand out!

I had a low verbal (50%) and still got accepted, so it won’t be the end of the world if you don’t score high! I had a lot of work/research in the pharmaceutical industry that likely helped me stand out!
Thank you!

I got accepted and while having a good gpa and lots of experience is good, I’ve seen before that they really value GRE (specifically verbal) scores so make sure you have a high one! I got 86 percentile for verbal and think that that helped me quite a bit since I got admitted here and didn’t even get interviews at some other schools who have lower averages of gpa
This is great thank you so much! Can I ask what your gpa was? Mine was kind of low this semester (3.3) so i'm worried.