Cornell c/o 2024 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone had the FAFSA received on the tracking page? Mine was processed slightly over a month ago, so I’m a little concerned

Members don't see this ad.

I called last week and they said they were having issues importing the data, but it should have been up by the end of last week...

Any Cornell students want to chat with someone coming for visit day? I will arrive in Ithaca afternoon if the 30th and would love to ask some questions and find out about the program. Message me if you’re interested.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I have a Cornell Vet T Shirt that I’m looking to sell. Size medium t shirt, mint condition. I’ll sell it for $20 with SH included. Please PM me

Anyone else headed to the info session the 14th? I’m an OOS alternate and I’m waitlisted at my IS as well so I’m trying to get as much info about Cornell as possible to make the best decision if I’m lucky enough to get into both :)

Anyone else headed to the info session the 14th? I’m an OOS alternate and I’m waitlisted at my IS as well so I’m trying to get as much info about Cornell as possible to make the best decision if I’m lucky enough to get into both :)
I'm not able to attend any of the info sessions due to work. Would you mind sharing important info you learn or just your feel on the school in general? I'm also an OOS student

I'm not able to attend any of the info sessions due to work. Would you mind sharing important info you learn or just your feel on the school in general? I'm also an OOS student
Definitely! If you email them and ask they can also probably send you any info they have documents for, like if they have a PowerPoint presentation or anything. They seem to really want to make sure we get as much info as possible.

declined my offer! hopefully an alternate will hear some good news soon :) wishing you all the best!

Reactions: 2 users
I went on the 30th. Honestly thought it was really well organized. They give an overview of the program, financial aid, student services and then faculty present on their research throughout the day. One of the really important things is they talk a lot about the project based learning (PBL) and they even run you through a scenario. You're broken into small groups and you test it out. That part was really important for me because I think it fits my learning style. There were also tours of both the campus and the teaching hospital. If you want any more details feel free to message me!

Does anyone know how many people are on the waitlist? And if IS and OOS are on separate lists?

Does anyone know how many people are on the waitlist? And if IS and OOS are on separate lists?
Also, does Cornell overaccept? I know quite a few people in real life who are declining their OOS Cornell acceptances, so I'm trying to figure out the odds of getting off the waitlist.

I've heard the odds are actually pretty good but not a lot of movement happens until April!

IS and OOS are separate, they don't release numbers, however. Lots of movement in April for OOS, less for IS typically.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I’m at the info day and I’m absolutely in love with Cornell...but it’s $22,000 more per year than my in state. Anyone have thoughts, suggestions, advice?

Ok I’m at the info day and I’m absolutely in love with Cornell...but it’s $22,000 more per year than my in state. Anyone have thoughts, suggestions, advice?
I’m in the same situation except slightly more expensive. I’m waiting to see what my financial aid package from Cornell is to before making my final decision. They traditionally give about 7.5 K to students yearly in scholarships but that may be more or less than what I get. I won’t choose Cornell for 110K+ but 20? 50? Idk. So I want to see their offer.

Very impressed with Cornell today!!! I’m definitely going to have a difficult choice if I get off the waitlist....

Both your IS and Cornell will get you were you need to be. I too would love to go to Cornell, but 22k more per year (4 years) plus interest, is not worth it. I’d highly recommend going to the cheaper school!

Very impressed with Cornell today!!! I’m definitely going to have a difficult choice if I get off the waitlist....
What did you like so much about it? I'm also on the waitlist but wasn't able to take time off work to go to the open house

What did you like so much about it? I'm also on the waitlist but wasn't able to take time off work to go to the open house
Word of mouth had implied Cornell people were a little stuck up (Ivy League reputation I guess), but everyone I talked to—faculty, students, other applicants—was very friendly and down to earth. They really discourage competition amongst students and repeatedly emphasized that grades are not as important as becoming a good doctor and team player. And they have great opportunities for all career focuses, even wildlife.

The veterinary medical center is brand new (less than 2 years old I think) as is the community practice. The PBL format is definitely foreign to me, but the mock session was lots of fun! Plus the history of the place is amazing, and they’re still making cutting-edge developments—it would be exciting to be part of that research.

Obviously my IS is my #1 choice should I get off the waitlist there, but I’m having a hard time deciding between here and Tufts.

A couple of comments @DVM2024,

While admin does pay lip service to downplaying student competition and grades, that isn't usually the reality and can be a major source of stress for students that struggle academically (which is pretty much everyone during the first year).

There definitely is a lot of opportunities to explore whatever you're interested in and to sort of make and mold your own experiences which can be a really important factor especially if you're interested in something that's a little less conventional.

The central portion of the school is new yes, the hospitals are not (with the exception of CPS) and are in dire need of renovations to be more functional for the caseload we currently have. Renovations are in talks but no timeline for when they might begin due to cost and disruption of services.

While admin does pay lip service to downplaying student competition and grades, that isn't usually the reality and can be a major source of stress for students that struggle academically (which is pretty much everyone during the first year).

There definitely is a lot of opportunities to explore whatever you're interested in and to sort of make and mold your own experiences which can be a really important factor especially if you're interested in something that's a little less conventional.

The central portion of the school is new yes, the hospitals are not (with the exception of CPS) and are in dire need of renovations to be more functional for the caseload we currently have. Renovations are in talks but no timeline for when they might begin due to cost and disruption of services.
Thanks for letting me know! That's too bad... :(

Yeah, now that you mention it the hospitals did seem a bit dated. Would you say it has a negative effect on patient care and the learning environment?

What do you think of PBL? Do you feel it did a good job preparing you?

Thank you for your take!! Do you think this is very class dependent? I know a current first year student who was very candid with me about her experience. She said her class was very non competitive but that she heard it was different with the class above her.

The level of competitiveness does vary class to class, but it’s hard to predict what your class would be.

I work in the hospital and it does limit what we can do for some services and make urgent care and integration/communication between services difficult. To be honest the same thing happens in private practices with brand new buildings though. I don’t feel like it has a huge impact on student learning but it’s frustrating for the staff.

I do think that PBL prepares you well for clinics and life, we conduct rounds similarly and a lot of our alumni get praised for their “I may not know that but I’ll find out” attitude on anything they aren’t comfortable with.

I heard a lot today about all of the opportunities for student work that there are in the hospitals. Are they really as prevalent as they make it sound? And I know that they give you great experience and that’s worth a lot in itself, but are they like minimum wage? Because some of them go full time over the summer and minimum wage is not enough to live off of in Ithaca lol

@literallydvm There are jobs available in most services that you'd find out about near the end of first semester (they host a little job fair event). Some are regular hours, some are on call. The ones that go full time in the summer are usually 40 hours or a little over. I work one of those and make $13.75/hr, but I also live in Ithaca full time regardless and my spouse works.

Unfortunately I am not able to attend the open house over the last few weekends. I wonder if someone who went or current students could answer some of my questions regarding their curriculum?

As Cornell uses PBL, my main concern is that we don't know where to even start when getting to know a case. How exactly does PBL work? Does the curriculum at Cornell teach the students before they are given the cases so that they have all the "ammunition" they need, or is it more like you kind of teach yourself while trying to figure out the case? If it is the latter case, wouldn't there be a possibility that there are some areas that students lack focus on because the cases might not cover everything they need to know?

Could someone also tell me about the student life (convenience in snow storms, mental health, COL) and opportunities? Do students get to participate in different programs such neuter and spay clinics, internship across the country or the world in zoos, aquaria, sanctuaries, etc? How about hands on opportunities in the first few years?

I am trying to see if Cornell is a good fit for me. No doubt that Cornell has a very long track of good vets but I want to make sure that I would be able to benefit the most from there. Thanks!

As Cornell uses PBL, my main concern is that we don't know where to even start when getting to know a case. How exactly does PBL work? Does the curriculum at Cornell teach the students before they are given the cases so that they have all the "ammunition" they need, or is it more like you kind of teach yourself while trying to figure out the case? If it is the latter case, wouldn't there be a possibility that there are some areas that students lack focus on because the cases might not cover everything they need to know?
The PBL is my favorite part of the curriculum. Yes, sometimes your start off a case knowing nothing. The way it works is that you and your group read the preliminary history and PE findings, you generate a facts list, then a problem list, then a list of questions to ask the owner, and a potential mechanism list. When you don’t know the answer to something, you put it on a “learning issue” list. That’s essentially your homework. Everyone goes and looks up the answers before the next session and it is discussed before moving on. This was a great way to discover resources and it’s a reflection of how you’re going to answer questions when in practice. You have a “tutor” in your group who is a faculty member and is there to guide you towards what you need to know. If you are going off course and not addressing what the course leaders want you to investigate that week, the tutor will put you back on track.

You do get a primer on it during orientation week. If you're concerned about not knowing anything, be assured that you are going to ask silly questions in the group. Everyone does. There is a steep learning curve in the first year of vet school. The perk of being in a group, though, is that often times someone will know something and can contribute to answering that question.

Could someone also tell me about the student life (convenience in snow storms, mental health, COL) and opportunities? Do students get to participate in different programs such neuter and spay clinics, internship across the country or the world in zoos, aquaria, sanctuaries, etc? How about hands on opportunities in the first few years?
This largely class dependent. Our class seems fairly laid back, others are more neurotic. During your first semester, work/life balance is not great. After that, it gets a looooot better. Most days now I can do all my work at school and spend my evenings relaxing. Spay/neuter opportunities are pretty good, there’s monthly spay days with shelter med that you can volunteer for. There’s also lots of international experiences. Some classmates of mine went to Belize over winter break. I’m planning on apply to a program called FARVets this summer which has international spay/neuter clinics.

Interacting with animals is super important here, I think you touch animals your first week. There are small and large animal labs regularly (meaning like monthly or even weekly) throughout your first 3 years before clinics.

OOS rejected got the email about 30 minutes ago. Oh well! Thankfully I have interviews To 4 other schools. CONGRATS to everyone who got in!! We will all get there :)
Just some perspective for you guys since I know a lot of you are hurting and disappointed.

Cornell is my IS school and I also went there for undergrad. I applied 2 years in a row. 1st year I was rejected, second year I was waitlisted but never taken off. I ended up getting off of the waitlist at another school during that 2nd application cycle and going there. During my first year of vet school, I applied to transfer to Cornell Vet for my 2nd year. I got in and am now at Cornell, but I would’ve also been happy to stay at my first vet school.

My point being: don’t give up. Cornell is a great school but try your hardest to get into a school, ANY vet school and you’ll do fine. Also do file reviews everywhere you are rejected or waitlisted at! It’ll show you where you can improve if you have to do another application cycle.

if you don’t mind me asking what was your gpa from your past vet school and undergrad. I’m not loving my school here, would really like to be closer to home and the huge decrease in tuition (cornell is also my instate would really
Impact my future.

Will they send up our financial aid offers via email? I know they said that they hoped to have offers out by March 1 but I haven’t seen anything yet

Daily delivery digest says I have something from Cornell in the mail. Maybe fin aid?

@somebun I could be totally wrong - but I'm pretty sure it's a congratulations letter from student services. Financial aid usually updates online in your portal (at least for the last 3 years it has), and it's usually via an email that they let you know that it's been posted.

Awe it was a congratulations Letter signed by current students, how sweet! Also got a nifty bumper sticker too!

Anyone else’s fin aid glitched? All my values have 0

Does anyone know how many people are on the OOS waitlist?
I don't think they disclose that information, nor do they tell people their rankings on the waitlist - I am also on the alternate list and I really hope I can find out soon. Heard stories about how people got pulled off during orientation week and that sounds very stressful!

• Wow
Does Cornell have a list serve for off campus housing? I’m trying to find options and figure out budgeting. Thanks in advance!

Just accepted my OOS spot today and paid my deposit. I really can’t believe that I’m going to my dream school. I can’t wait to meet you guys :cat:

OOS deposit down. Can’t believe it’s happening :)

Eeee as an OOS alternate I’m so jealous of you guys putting deposits down but I’m also so excited for you!!!

Can any current Cornell DVM students speak to note taking methods? Do most profs use slides or print out lectures? I’m hoping to use my ipad for taking notes but want to make sure that’s a good option. Any advice or thoughts? Thank you :)

Can any current Cornell DVM students speak to note taking methods? Do most profs use slides or print out lectures? I’m hoping to use my ipad for taking notes but want to make sure that’s a good option. Any advice or thoughts? Thank you :)
I’m not a current student but when I was at their info day one of them highly recommended using an iPad!

Most do slides +/- notes to accompany it. Myself and many others take note solely on our iPads. They don’t print out the lectures until you specifically ask for them. I’m more than happy to just have my written notes on my iPad and I find it very convenient to not have to carry around all my notes anymore.

Most do slides +/- notes to accompany it. Myself and many others take note solely on our iPads. They don’t print out the lectures until you specifically ask for them. I’m more than happy to just have my written notes on my iPad and I find it very convenient to not have to carry around all my notes anymore.

Thank you! Do the professors allow you to download the slides to write on in class and reference later too?