CSU-CVM-Applications C/O 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS interview invite! Scheduled for the 14th :)

Anyone know the time for reception on Saturday? I'm not sure if the 5PM post interview reception is the same thing.

Congrats! I’m OOS as well and signed up for 14th.
I couldn’t find exactly when the Saturday reception was either. I might call because I signed up before realizing it was Saturday.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Whats everyone doing to study for the mmi? Seems like a strange interview style...

Hey guys! So I have an interview at colorado state in a few weeks for the DVM program and was wondering if anyone has heard what their interviews are like? I know they use the MMI (multiple mini interviews) style which is intimidating.. looking for any and all advice! thanks :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was planning on finding stuff online. YouTube videos and such. I know there were a few specific books I'd read somewhere...maybe in Davis thread

I was planning on finding stuff online. YouTube videos and such. I know there were a few specific books I'd read somewhere...maybe in Davis thread

I've found some sample questions online but if you want advice from "experts" its like $250 of course

I know from last year alot of people said it wasn't as bad as expected, some people even had fun. Heard they try and make it as comfortable as possible. I know some of the schools that do MMI have videos of some. I've heard as long as your calm and can form a functional opinion/answer it's not bad. Some even liked these better than traditional open file because you're put on the spot but truly about what you think and not things you've done exactly if that makes sense.

Does anyone know how many were called for interview and OOS Vs IS ?

Reactions: 1 users
HI all!
We can’t give details about MMI, but I can tell you it was not stressful and a lot of people thought it was enjoyable. I read an ethics book by someone from CSU and I’m not sure it helped but it made me feel like I was doing something! They advise you to relax and be yourself, which is hard but the Setup lends itself to being able to do that. We had the chance to talk to the dean and the financial planner, and everyone was very friendly! Feel Free to message me if you have any questions, you want to grab a drink interview weekend. I am a dual student so will be joining you in class of 2022!

Reactions: 2 users
This is what several other SDN users recommended and I used.
This is written for med school, but super helpful !

sitb-sticker-v3-medium._CB361552076_.png

41l86Qh2r9L.jpg

Samir P. Desai
Multiple Mini Interview (MMI): Winning Strategies From Admissions Faculty

Members don't see this ad :)
Was anyone else not able to register? It says that "there are currently no registration packages available to select at this time"....

I read that one too. Found a free PDF floating around somewhere. Def helpful.

41l86Qh2r9L.jpg

41l86Qh2r9L.jpg

Samir P. Desai
Thank you! I just bought the book and so far, it has helped me understand the concept and what to expect a little better!

Thank you! I just bought the book and so far, it has helped me understand the concept and what to expect a little better!
That's good to know that it's helpful! I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy it.

That's good to know that it's helpful! I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy it.
It is definitely designed for med school so there is a lot of things you won’t care about, but you should buy it. It cost me about $10.

Hello all! I look forward to meeting some of you on the 14th!! Does anyone happen to know how many people get interviews to CSU? I've searched their website and I couldn't find anything. Thanks!

So what's the best way to go about getting from Denver to Fort Collins without killing myself on icy roads? Renting a 4WD? Uber or maybe a bus?

So what's the best way to go about getting from Denver to Fort Collins without killing myself on icy roads? Renting a 4WD? Uber or maybe a bus?
Where are you coming from? I25 usually isn't that bad but it will shut down if it is bad, 4wd isn't necessarily going to help you more imo compared to normal 2wd, but I drive a rearwheel drive truck in the snow unloaded so take what you want from that. Just take your time and relax and you should be fine. Looking forward I don't think the weather is supposed to be that bad (usually is pretty dry come the first part of Jan and has been dry all season thus far), but I don't trust the weathermen around here unless it's actually happening. Uber is going to be expensive... really expensive if you're from a state with a lower minimum wage. If you really don't want to worry about driving there was a shuttle listed in your email you got after you registered. Then the bus system in FoCo is really good. Anyone please feel fee to message me about CO travel since I'm IS.

I'm worried about travel as well. I toured CSU in the summer and cruising through the state was enjoyable instead of nerve-wracking. I'm also torn as to whether or not I should interview at all because I was just accepted into my #1 and IS school. I don't want to miss out on the experience and want to weigh all of my options appropriately since I already invested the time and money into applying and touring CSU (it is tied for my top choice with MSU) but I also don't want to take the opportunity away from somebody else since I know I will most likely end up going to MSU. Any advice?

I'm worried about travel as well. I toured CSU in the summer and cruising through the state was enjoyable instead of nerve-wracking. I'm also torn as to whether or not I should interview at all because I was just accepted into my #1 and IS school. I don't want to miss out on the experience and want to weigh all of my options appropriately since I already invested the time and money into applying and touring CSU (it is tied for my top choice with MSU) but I also don't want to take the opportunity away from somebody else since I know I will most likely end up going to MSU. Any advice?
Yeah you've already been to CSU for tour and such, but if MSU is your #1 and will probably be cheaper than CSU OSS, I would personally stick with MSU and cancel CSU. There's no reason to put yourself through extra stress, travel time and expense. Yeah you spent money already applying and touring, but don't spend more money especially if CSU is more expensive and you'll probably end up going to MSU regardless. I guess for me acceptance to attendance choice essentially comes down to who is the cheapest. I would assume your support system is also closer if you went to MSU which is something to consider, because vet school is hard and stressful. What I find helps is make a list of pros and cons of each school, this often helps having it wrote down and really being able to see the differences in the schools and why you want to go to one over the other.

The freeway between Denver to Fort Collins typically isn't too bad. It's pretty much a straight shot and unless there's a really bad storm, you'll be fine. I drive an AWD car in snow and have never run into issues - if you're renting I'd just make sure you rent something you're comfortable driving, that's most important safety-wise in my opinion. Alternatively there is a lightrail that recently opened between the airport and downtown Denver (Union Station) if you were interested in catching a bus to Fort Collins from Union Station. If you're nervous about driving I'd also check out SuperShuttle, sometimes they go direct from DIA to other neighboring cities. Good luck with your interview!

Green Ride is also a shuttle option, especially because I think Super Shuttle shut down service from DIA to Fort Collins (which is fine, super shuttle sucked lol).

Also, if anyone wants to keep an eye on the weather I recommend checking NOAA's weather forecasts at noaa.gov. Their forecasts are fairly reliable in my experience and they update them regularly as conditions progress. You can also see if there are any advisories listed for an area in case you're worried about driving conditions.

For all of you who didn't get an interview, especially OSS, do not feel bad about yourself in the slightest. You made it this far! Your applicant pool was huge last year and probably is as well this year. ~1800 applicants for OSS... for ~200 interviews slots. Good luck to all of you regardless of interview status!
Was this the number for just out-of-state interviewees or the total number of interviews? Thank you!

Was this the number for just out-of-state interviewees or the total number of interviews? Thank you!
Sorry I missed you quoting me! Playing WW I have like 50+ notifications every time I log on. I was a bit off in my interview # in that quote (the other 2 schools I applied to interview ~200 OSS). Here is the quote from someone who interviewed last year below. CSU takes ~70-75 "IS" and the rest are "OSS" to make up the 148 admitted class. I'm unsure as to if this takes into account people who are joining the DVM C/O 2022 that have been in the master's and doctoral programs. Hope this helps!
This year there were 300 interviewees.

Thank you so much! I am excited to meet some of you!

For people concerned about travel, the roads are well maintained. I am from NY and have much more trouble there then in CO. The car rental place recommended a higher power engine when i rented a car for my interview (because of altitude), but I have a Honda CRV that has no problem. I think they knew i was an "outsider". :laugh:

For people concerned about travel, the roads are well maintained. I am from NY and have much more trouble there then in CO. The car rental place recommended a higher power engine when i rented a car for my interview (because of altitude), but I have a Honda CRV that has no problem. I think they knew i was an "outsider". :laugh:
Oh yes definitely. Pesky sales people. Rent what you guys are comfortable driving! You really don't need an SUV or 4 wheel drive from DIA to FoCo. Also don't need a higher power engine like... :wtf: BTW super sorry that happened to you.
Looking forward looks that the weather won't be too bad! (but it's CO so don't get your hopes up)

Does anyone know how many were called for interview and OOS Vs IS ?
I have a friend who is currently a first year in the program at CSU. She estimated 300 were asked to interview and out of those about 100 are OOS and 200 are IS.

I'm OOS and interviewing the 13th. I have never been to Colorado and am very excited to visit! Are any in-staters familiar with the area and know of things to occupy my mom in the Fort Collins area while she waits around for me to interview?

I'm OOS and interviewing the 13th. I have never been to Colorado and am very excited to visit! Are any in-staters familiar with the area and know of things to occupy my mom in the Fort Collins area while she waits around for me to interview?
Tell her to check out Old Town! There's something to occupy just about anyone there and it's not very far from campus

My mom enjoyed old town so much she left me waiting at the campus after the interview was over!

Reactions: 3 users
I read somewhere that a few med schools have stations where 2 applicants have to answer a question together. Do you guys know if CSU does that?

I read somewhere that a few med schools have stations where 2 applicants have to answer a question together. Do you guys know if CSU does that?
CSU didn't do that last year. It was all individual

I have a friend who is currently a first year in the program at CSU. She estimated 300 were asked to interview and out of those about 100 are OOS and 200 are IS.

Can anyone confirm these numbers? Are they possibly backwards? Seems like insanely good odds for oos interviewees.. especially since presumably some get waitlisted.

That would be my worst nightmare. MMI is already intimidating

Can anyone confirm these numbers? Are they possibly backwards? Seems like insanely good odds for oos interviewees.. especially since presumably some get waitlisted.
About half our class is oos, so odds actually aren't horrible...

About half our class is oos, so odds actually aren't horrible...

Maybe I wasnt clear before. If about 70-74 oos students will be accepted, and only 100 oos students are interviewing, those odds seem too good to be true. Not to mention expected waitlist movement. So I was asking if it was actually only 100 oos students interviewing, as I would expect a larger number given the availiable seats.

Maybe I wasnt clear before. If about 70-74 oos students will be accepted, and only 100 oos students are interviewing, those odds seem too good to be true. Not to mention expected waitlist movement. So I was asking if it was actually only 100 oos students interviewing, as I would expect a larger number given the availiable seats.

There were 51 student that were "non-sponsored" accepted to the class of 2021. So while only 71 were CO residents the other received WICHE seats, somewhat clouding the IS vs OOS number. As opposed to a Cornell that only considers NY resisdents to be IS. There also doesn't seem to a pre-determined number of sponsored vs non-sponsored seat if you look at the admitted classes from year to year.
When I asked, they did not provide with a number of IS vs OOS interview slots.

Is everyone staying in business professional wear for the hospital tour and lunch?

Is everyone staying in business professional wear for the hospital tour and lunch?

My interview is at 12:45, so I was thinking of showing up in my interview attire and then bringing a change of clothes (nice jeans and a knit sweater) to change into once it is over.

Does anyone know if there is a shuttle service between DIA and Fort Collins? And if you’ve used it before how was your experience?

Does anyone know if there is a shuttle service between DIA and Fort Collins? And if you’ve used it before how was your experience?

Yeah, there is a company called Green Ride that pretty much everyone uses. I wanna say it's like $40. I personally haven't used it but friends have and they haven't had any issues.

I'm OOS and my mom needs occupying tomorrow as well! PM and if you want to set them up on a mom date.

I second Green Ride, my husband has been using it at least once a month for the last year for work. They can take you directly to wherever you're staying, pick you up from there, etc. Flexible if your flight gets in late and you miss your shuttle, etc. Plus I believe they bought out Super Shuttle out here, so that's your only option :)

I just used Green Ride this afternoon and it was $28 from DIA to HTC in Ft. Collins. It was super easy