2023-2024 Dartmouth (Geisel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @tcc926818 for sharing this year's questions.

2023-2024 Dartmouth Secondary Essay Prompts: (edited to add question #3 which was omitted on earlier posts)

1. Please indicate your plans for the 2023-2024 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, please inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected]. (no limit)

2. Please reflect on your primary application and share something not addressed elsewhere that would be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file. (No limit)

3. Please tell us specifically why you are interested in Geisel: (no word count)

4. Geisel School of Medicine values social justice and diversity in all its forms. Reflect on a situation where you were the “other”
(250 word limit)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Please reflect on your primary application and share something not addressed elsewhere that would be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file: (no word limit)"

Would it be fine to add a covid essay here? (I talk about being separated from my family as they live in south america, the financial difficulties we faced bc of the pandemic, and the lack of clinical opportunities). Thoughts?

"Please reflect on your primary application and share something not addressed elsewhere that would be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file: (no word limit)"

Would it be fine to add a covid essay here? (I talk about being separated from my family as they live in south america, the financial difficulties we faced bc of the pandemic, and the lack of clinical opportunities). Thoughts?
That’s a good idea! Definitely talk about that in the secondary, if not already discussed somewhere in your primary.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS secondary received. Here are the questions @chilly_md.

1. Please indicate your plans for the 2023-2024 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, please inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected]. (no limit)

2. Please reflect on your primary application and share something not addressed elsewhere that would be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file. (No limit)

3. Geisel School of Medicine values social justice and diversity in all its forms. Reflect on a situation where you were the “other” (250 word limit)

OOS secondary received. Here are the questions @chilly_md.

3. Geisel School of Medicine values social justice and diversity in all its forms. Reflect on a situation where you were the “other” (250 word limit)
+1 OOS Secondary recieved

Should I write a Why Us essay here? Maybe a diversity one different from the prompt with "the other"?

No word or character limit is mean :(

Last edited:

Should I write a Why Us essay here? Maybe a diversity one different from the prompt with "the other"?

No word or character limit is mean :(
They had a Why Us prompt last year and it appears they removed it. That may suggest they are not interested in that anymore.

They definitely have a why us question. It's the third question.

"Please tell us specifically why you are interested in Geisel"

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I can confirm that they have a “why us” question as well!
Well it would sure be great if one of youse who sees this question, on the 2023-2024 secondary, could copy/paste the ENTIRE secondary.

Help us out, @OreoLover365 or @toastedbutter

This is the first year I have had to make so many corrections due to inaccurate information shared about the secondaries.
We can do better, y'all.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc

Please indicate your plans for the 2023-2024 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, please inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected]. (no word count)

Please reflect on your primary application and share something not addressed elsewhere that would be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file: (no word count)

Please tell us specifically why you are interested in Geisel: (no word count)

Geisel School of Medicine values social justice and diversity in all its forms. Reflect on a situation where you were the “other”. (250 words)

@wysdoc

Please indicate your plans for the 2023-2024 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, please inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected]. (no word count)

Please reflect on your primary application and share something not addressed elsewhere that would be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file: (no word count)

Please tell us specifically why you are interested in Geisel: (no word count)

Geisel School of Medicine values social justice and diversity in all its forms. Reflect on a situation where you were the “other”. (250 words)
Thank you @maunmr

I drafted my 'gap year' essay for prompt one and its around 2500 characters. I see there is no word limit on the prompt. How much should I shorten it to/whats an acceptable length?

For the second prompt, would it be appropriate to list a casual hobby / interest that didn't make my primary application? I could write about a very poignant clinical experience but I can also very easily tie this into my "Why Dartmouth" essay, and there's already a diversity essay as well.

For the second prompt, would it be appropriate to list a casual hobby / interest that didn't make my primary application? I could write about a very poignant clinical experience but I can also very easily tie this into my "Why Dartmouth" essay, and there's already a diversity essay as well.
I personally wrote "n/a" but looking back, it doesn't say it was optional. I hope I didn't mess up too bad by leaving it blank. 😔

Personally I ended up writing about a casual hobby myself! I was going through online platforms from previous cycles and I saw that people recommended writing about something interesting, which is what I chose to do as well

Personally I ended up writing about a casual hobby myself! I was going through online platforms from previous cycles and I saw that people recommended writing about something interesting, which is what I chose to do as well
Is baking considered an interesting hobby? I know tons of people do it but I'm actually super super into it where I bake something new every weekend and try out a lot of new techniques and what not. This process makes me question anything "interesting" about myself lol

Is baking considered an interesting hobby? I know tons of people do it but I'm actually super super into it where I bake something new every weekend and try out a lot of new techniques and what not. This process makes me question anything "interesting" about myself lol
Depends on how you spin it! You could make the coolest hobby sound boring if you don't write well. A lot of people bake, but your favorite thing to bake or why you like to bake is probably different than someone else's

I drafted my 'gap year' essay for prompt one and its around 2500 characters. I see there is no word limit on the prompt. How much should I shorten it to/whats an acceptable length?
Wondering this as well for my "Why Geisel" essay. I'm even longer at about 3500 characters

For the first question about the plans for the academic year, should I include my volunteering plans? Or do we think this is just a school and job question?

For the first question about the plans for the academic year, should I include my volunteering plans? Or do we think this is just a school and job question?
I talked about work / volunteering / my one major hobby. Basically, anything I plan on spending a good amount of time on.

I just found out about the cheating scandal and how terribly the administration handled everything (link to article). It appears that the same dean is still there. I'm really reconsidering whether I should submit a secondary...anybody else?

I just found out about the cheating scandal and how terribly the administration handled everything (link to article). It appears that the same dean is still there. I'm really reconsidering whether I should submit a secondary...anybody else?
every time i reconsider submitting a secondary, I ask myself, "if this were the only school to accept me, would I still go?" so far, my answer has always been yes so here I am, writing the secondary lol

Reactions: 6 users
If I did not take biochemistry, is there no way of applying? Pretty frustrating to discover that they require it AFTER finishing all of the secondary essays.

If I did not take biochemistry, is there no way of applying? Pretty frustrating to discover that they require it AFTER finishing all of the secondary essays.
It may be a requirement for matriculation not applying. Worth emailing to ask!

My take is that fluff will most likely annoy the readers rather than demonstrate effort or whatever. Mine sat at 1700 and was pretty cut and dry even compared to my other why schools. If you have meaningful things to say by all means write however much it takes — just no need to make it long for the sake of being long imo

anyone else waiting on a secondary

Reactions: 2 users
almost got excited thinking this was an interview. It was an invite to the MPH program info session...

Screen Shot 2023-08-03 at 1.11.10 PM.png

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
I’m a freshly minted M1 here - Geisel completely changed their policy in response to this and is still actively working hard to rebuild and strengthen relationships with their students. They acknowledged that their system was antiquated and wrong and have really worked hard to amend it for our sakes. Also, from what I’ve seen, they do a pretty good job of listening to student feedback and then putting the request into action.

I wouldn’t let the cheating scandal be used to scare people away from applying to Geisel. I love our community and wouldntve picked anywhere else over Geisel.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m a freshly minted M1 here - Geisel completely changed their policy in response to this and is still actively working hard to rebuild and strengthen relationships with their students. They acknowledged that their system was antiquated and wrong and have really worked hard to amend it for our sakes. Also, from what I’ve seen, they do a pretty good job of listening to student feedback and then putting the request into action.

I wouldn’t let the cheating scandal be used to scare people away from applying to Geisel. I love our community and wouldntve picked anywhere else over Geisel.
Thanks for your perspective! I ended up applying because there's so much about the school that I was getting really excited about. How has your first year been so far? Guessing you just started, but maybe first impressions?? :)

Thanks for your perspective! I ended up applying because there's so much about the school that I was getting really excited about. How has your first year been so far? Guessing you just started, but maybe first impressions?? :)

I too am a freshly minted M1 at Geisel and I can echo what @Kelrilyn stated regarding the cheating scandal and applying to Geisel. Feel free to tag me with any questions.

As for first impressions, I'm truly thrilled to be a part of the community at Dartmouth/Geisel. Most of the faculty are incredible and it seems like everyone we meet is genuinely invested in our success. We're only a few weeks in so I don't have too much more to say at this time but I'll do my best to answer any specific questions that may arise. @Opuntia

II received but I'm abroad and didn't have wifi so email came through 2 hr late. Only one date was available, did the others get snatched up or is Dartmouth slowly rolling them out as they get through application batches?

II received but I'm abroad and didn't have wifi so email came through 2 hr late. Only one date was available, did the others get snatched up or is Dartmouth slowly rolling them out as they get through application batches?
When did you submit?

Reactions: 4 users
When did you submit?
July 15! Was complete same day. Excited for first II but nervous having stuff happen while abroad since I want to make sure nothing is missed!

II here too, scheduled about 30 min after receiving. Didn't see any other dates than the one listed in August.

Reactions: 2 users
II here too, scheduled about 30 min after receiving. Didn't see any other dates than the one listed in August.
Thanks for alleviating some anxiety! Congrats on the II!!

II OOS! Complete 7/10

• Love
Reactions: 7 users