Dartmouth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have any of you been to DMS in the winter? Granted I have not, so am wondering how bad it really is up there. Looking at weather maps at least, looks cooldddddddddd!

it's really not that bad. most of the winter this year has been around 20s, 30s sometime (today!). there were only a few days down in the teens, i think like 1 day in single digits. there is a lot of snow though. we have a ton of students here from cali, and no one has transfered to somewhere warmer yet, so it's definitely bearable. and it's time to become a better skier/boarder/winter activities whatever!

Members don't see this ad.

it's really not that bad. most of the winter this year has been around 20s, 30s sometime (today!). there were only a few days down in the teens, i think like 1 day in single digits. there is a lot of snow though. we have a ton of students here from cali, and no one has transfered to somewhere warmer yet, so it's definitely bearable. and it's time to become a better skier/boarder/winter activities whatever!

Thats your definition of not that bad?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ha ha...I live in Fargo, ND and last week we had a windchill of -45, so yeah...20s are not bad. :)

Humans are not supposed to live places that cold, atleast not this human.

Hi, just a question for people on this thread. Do you know of anybody who has gotten rejected pre-interview for Dartmouth? If so, I am very curious to know their stats.

Have any of you been to DMS in the winter? Granted I have not, so am wondering how bad it really is up there. Looking at weather maps at least, looks cooldddddddddd!

Well, it's not any more cold than the rest of the north-east. But it probably snows more there than say NYC. And I don't know if they have the infrastructure to rapidly clean up snow from streets like larger cities. When I was there, there was a pretty big snow storm. And because of the really bad road conditions, the last two Dartmouth Coach buses were cancelled (3 and 5pm).

So, a couple of us interviewees who came via bus from Boston were put in a bit of a bind. Luckily, we found out there was another bus (Vemont Transit) that was going to Boston and was leaving from White River Junction in Vermont which is only about a 15 minute drive. We caught a bus that went there, and were on our way. But while it usually takes 2 hours to go from Hanover to Boston, it took us close to 6 hours because of the weather. We left Hanover around 4 pm and and arrived at Boston South Station at around 10 pm! And then some of us had to check into hotels because all our flights were canceled.

Living in Hanover in the winter is very, very different than living in Boston or NYC.

It is typically colder, more snow ( an especially large amount this year), and less cleared pathways. With that said--it leads to awesome snowshoeing, skiing, etc. Just throw on the hiking boots and you'll get to class no problem!

Most friends who attended Dartmouth as undergrads and who were not from northern New England found Hanover's spring to be harder to handle than its winter. For example Hanover has had snow as late as the beginning of May in the past--and typically it takes until nearly June for the mud to clear up and green grass/flowers to show up.

With that said--the fall is absolutely awesome--far cooler than anything you'd see in NYC or Boston!

Well, it's not any more cold than the rest of the north-east. But it probably snows more there than say NYC. And I don't know if they have the infrastructure to rapidly clean up snow from streets like larger cities. When I was there, there was a pretty big snow storm. And because of the really bad road conditions, the last two Dartmouth Coach buses were cancelled (3 and 5pm).

Actually, I'd say that Hanover does a better job of cleaning roads than most NE cities. I lived in Ottawa, Canada for a while and Hanover is much, much better at getting the roads cleared. If it snows overnight, even the side streets are clear by about 6 am. I've never been snowed in. The problem with the coach probably had to do with I-89 not being particularly clear, but the Hanover/Lebanon area deals with the snow very well.

Also, I've lived in Portland, OR and I went to undergrad in the San Francisco Bay area. Yeah, winters in Hanover take some getting used to, but they're really not that bad. It doesn't get particularly cold very often (it'll drop below 0 F a few times per winter, but not too often). That may sound very cold, but it's really not.

Also, some people ask about living out "in the middle of nowhere." Yeah, we're not in a city, but this is a very metropolitan middle of nowhere because Dartmouth has such a huge impact on the area (Dartmouth is the second largest employer in the state and, by far, the biggest employer in the area). You get many big city amenities (arts, famous speakers, performances, athletics, etc.) due to the college without the hassle of living in a big city (traffic, crime). You are also in beautiful surroundings. I would honestly take living in Hanover over the SF bay area any day. Portland vs. Hanover is a toss-up. If you need to live in a huge city, this isn't a school for you. If you enjoy the outdoors, though, I can't think of a better place to go to med school.

Thats your definition of not that bad?

you're not going to be walking around outside that much anyways. i drive everywhere. so 5 seconds from my front door to my car. a few minutes from the parking lot to the lecture hall. not a big deal.

and i agree they do a real good job clearing the roads. and just throw on some snow tires if you don't have 4 wheel drive. i have a 2 door civic with these awesome finnish tires, and i was passing all the big SUVs on the highway today. that was fun =)

I don't have a car. I guess thats a necessity for dartmouth though.

Hi guys. I received an acceptance letter Feb. 21st. It really was a complete surprise, especially since there are many applicants out there with stellar numbers :) Anyways, I was complete late November, got my interview invite Dec. 24, and interviewed Jan. 31. I hope this shows that med school admissions is a crapshoot process and completely unpredictable. So hang in there fellow Darmouth applicants! :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck: to you all!

Awesome, congrats! I am still waiting to hear from them. I wonder if I should try calling them because I interviewed in october/november and still have not heard a decision either way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys. I received an acceptance letter Feb. 21st. It really was a complete surprise, especially since there are many applicants out there with stellar numbers :) Anyways, I was complete late November, got my interview invite Dec. 24, and interviewed Jan. 31. I hope this shows that med school admissions is a crapshoot process and completely unpredictable. So hang in there fellow Darmouth applicants! :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck: to you all!
my application was complete end of october, i am a non trad andhave heard nothng from dartmouth. ehat do u guys think. My MCAT is270 ps8,vr9,bs10
is there any hope for me for an interiew

we actually interviewed on the same day. i haven't heard back, i guess im done

Nehcmij86: Dude...I think I remember you! Were you the one who drove through the crazy blizzard? I was the asian girl with the pantsuit...haha. And seriously, your credentials are absolutely jaw-dropping.

For the people accepted, have you received anything other than the sheet you have to return in order to secure your spot?

Forms for financial aid? etc?

For the people accepted, have you received anything other than the sheet you have to return in order to secure your spot?

Forms for financial aid? etc?

Nope. Just a letter for when second look is and some congratulatory cards

Have any FAME applicants (Maine residents) heard back from Dartmouth yet? I interviewed mid February and am keeping my fingers crossed...

remember, if you are pretty sure you're going to DMS the Facebook group is already up. We are three people strong. Group is titled Dartmouth Medical School 2012.

Have any FAME applicants (Maine residents) heard back from Dartmouth yet? I interviewed mid February and am keeping my fingers crossed...

You Mainers have FAME for both UVM and Dartmouth?

Yet again, NH residents get the shaft...

FAME's Maine Access to Medical Education program pays UVM, Dartmouth, and UNECOM (DO) to hold a number of seats for Maine residents: 5 spots at Dartmouth and UNE, and 10 places at UVM.

However, if it makes you feel better, Mainers have to complete an additional FAME application, which is basically like another secondary. Applicants are either placed on a recommended or alternate list, so simply being from Maine doesn't mean you'll get into the FAME program.

the drive on the way back was worse and it doesn't mean **** if i can't get in

is dartmouth your first choice?

Well, I'm glad you're in one piece! I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools so I'm wary to say that Dartmouth is my first choice. I have to say though that I really really really really really really REALLY like Dartmouth...puah hahaha. :D Is it your first choice?

I'm officially waitlisted. Glad to not be rejected but now have to hunker down for the long wait...

ruraldr, just out of curiosity when did you interview, and when were you notified of the WL decision.

interviewed 2/7, just opened the mail today.

I interviewed on 1/29 and got an acceptance letter today (Mon 3/3). It's in a regular sized envelope...

have faith, bros.

Congrats Komsys--great news!

Hi Ruraldr

Ah ha! I think I know who you are. Congrats on the Waitlist! We can hang out on it together.

Maybe you could have someone send Andrew Welch some hermit bars...

Hope you are who I think you are!

Withdrawing. Best wishes to the person that would be filling my spot:)

physicsnerd42, please say thank you to Pablo for me, he was a wonderful host.

i applied md/phd and i haven't heard anything from them. i am assuming they rejected me for md/phd, as the interviews for the combined degree program are over, and i am being considered for an interview for md. are they still inviting people for interviews for md? is there anybody else in the same position as I am out there?

hey! i'm a canadian (just got an interview invite for march 18). any recommendations on how to best get to NH? and when i called, they said something about hosts? how does this work? thanks!

So does anyone know if all the interview offers have been passed out?

I interviewed 01/03/08, it was as bad as it gets, very brutal cold :thumbdown:

I interviewed 01/03/08, it was as bad as it gets, very brutal cold :thumbdown:
We were there on the coldest day of the freaking year :p It was like -9 wind chill. It usually warmer... well, so they say.

I was there on Jan 10 I think and I thought it was REALLY cold. Probably around 20s-lower 30s. I don't remember the wind chill, but I was wearing a skirt suit. Everyone up there told me that day was unusually warm. When I left the next morning to go to Manchester Airport, the wind and sleet made my little rental car go crazy! It was quite an adventure.

hey! i'm a canadian (just got an interview invite for march 18). any recommendations on how to best get to NH? and when i called, they said something about hosts? how does this work? thanks!

There's a list you access online that will give you the name and location of the students willing to host. I think it also tells you their undergrad institutions. When I decided to stay with a student host, I just found her name on there and emailed her. She was pretty prompt replying back to me on whether she could host me. IIRC I got something in the mail that gave me the website and the secret access code to view the list. It's not like some other schools where they just email the list to you with the invite. As part of the interview process, I think I was required to make a vow to not give out the link or password to anybody else. Plus, I don't remember it. :D

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, I can't remember if Dartmouth was the one with the top secret host list or if it was a different school... Can anybody correct me??

There's a list you access online that will give you the name and location of the students willing to host. I think it also tells you their undergrad institutions. When I decided to stay with a student host, I just found her name on there and emailed her. She was pretty prompt replying back to me on whether she could host me. IIRC I got something in the mail that gave me the website and the secret access code to view the list. It's not like some other schools where they just email the list to you with the invite. As part of the interview process, I think I was required to make a vow to not give out the link or password to anybody else. Plus, I don't remember it. :D

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, I can't remember if Dartmouth was the one with the top secret host list or if it was a different school... Can anybody correct me??

Dartmouth does have the secret host list, and I have the password, but I can't give it out.

They e-mailed me several attachments, including a letter that had the password, and they sent it by mail and I got it the day after my invite arrived.

I'm from New England... I didn't find it cold at all lol.. just bring appropriate winter gear (scarf, gloves, flak jacket, etc)..

those of you who got corespondence within the last few days post-interview, was it acceptance and/or waitlist/rejections?

I think I might bite the bullet and call next week. Interviewed in October and yet to hear anything.

I would guess not hearing anything for that long is probably a good sign.

Your score is most likely not quite high enough for an acceptance, but in the range they think they are going to get to for acceptances this year.

It seems like your worst case scenario at this point would be a waitlist...

I would guess not hearing anything for that long is probably a good sign.

Your score is most likely not quite high enough for an acceptance, but in the range they think they are going to get to for acceptances this year.

It seems like your worst case scenario at this point would be a waitlist...

how about not hearing from them since the application complete correspondence? i applied MD/PhD and I am guessing that train has left the station looong ago. is it even remotely possible to get an interview (for MD, at least) at this point?

how about not hearing from them since the application complete correspondence? i applied MD/PhD and I am guessing that train has left the station looong ago. is it even remotely possible to get an interview (for MD, at least) at this point?

So, the last MD/PhD interview is taking place today and tomorrow and MD interviews should be over at the end of this month. While people rejected MD/PhD are considered for the MD, I'm sorry to say that this probably means that you have little chance of receiving an interview at this point.

So, the last MD/PhD interview is taking place today and tomorrow and MD interviews should be over at the end of this month. While people rejected MD/PhD are considered for the MD, I'm sorry to say that this probably means that you have little chance of receiving an interview at this point.

thanks for the reply. that's what thought. i was hoping that they would take more than one person from Grinnell this year like they usually do. obviously, it was just wishful thinking. is it true that they have their last md interview date on the 18th of this month?

edit: the website says they interview through april. people on sdn seem to assume they finish up all interviews on march. any idea why that is?

thanks for the reply. that's what thought. i was hoping that they would take more than one person from Grinnell this year like they usually do. obviously, it was just wishful thinking. is it true that they have their last md interview date on the 18th of this month?

edit: the website says they interview through april. people on sdn seem to assume they finish up all interviews on march. any idea why that is?

Yeah, I know a few people here from Grinnel. Honestly, though, they don't have school quotas. Candidates are evaluated individually.

They probably say they interview into April because they sometimes (like last year) end up getting behind on reading applications and have to extend interviews into April. This has been another record-setting year for applications (last year it was somewhere north of 5300 and this year is more than last) so they may extend again. I was, however, talking to one of my classmates (who is on the admissions committee) a couple of weeks and was told that they had just received copies of the last applications to be reviewed, so I'm guessing you should hear something either way very soon. I got the impression that they were shooting for the end of March to finish interviews.

Can someone give me some guidance as to where I can look for housing? I'd like to stay as close as possible and looking for a 1-2 bedroom apartment so I don't need to worry about shoveling. I can't find much online.

I just got a letter saying that I am still under active consideration. I hope this is a good thing. I hope that if they wanted to reject me they would've already done so.

I just got a letter saying that I am still under active consideration. I hope this is a good thing. I hope that if they wanted to reject me they would've already done so.

I interviewed in October, but got waitlisted in February. I would have rather been in your position and not heard anything! You must be just on the cusp of waitlist and acceptance...but at least you have a little more hope than ppl like me who are hanging out on the waitlist already:(