Dartmouth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I sure hope so. I don't know where exactly I place DMS on my list, but it is certainly a place that I would go to over others I have already been accepted to. I really liked the area and culture that I got a sense of there. I guess the first step is to get accepted before I torture myself over such decisions!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I know a few people here from Grinnel. Honestly, though, they don't have school quotas. Candidates are evaluated individually.

They probably say they interview into April because they sometimes (like last year) end up getting behind on reading applications and have to extend interviews into April. This has been another record-setting year for applications (last year it was somewhere north of 5300 and this year is more than last) so they may extend again. I was, however, talking to one of my classmates (who is on the admissions committee) a couple of weeks and was told that they had just received copies of the last applications to be reviewed, so I'm guessing you should hear something either way very soon. I got the impression that they were shooting for the end of March to finish interviews.

just got me rejection letter today. i'm reapplying next year. i was wondering if you knew when/if i could call them up to find out what to improve upon. thanks a lot for all your responses. you've been very helpful.

So I'm wondering if there are any other accepted applicants to Dartmouth who are intl'?

When and how do we apply for financial aid?

Just got an interview invite in my email (literally 10 minutes ago). I called to arrange my appointment, and they told me the only day they have left was March 20. Not sure what that means in terms of when they'll stop interviewing, but it must mean they're just about reaching the end of invitations.

I'm completely shocked by this one. It's freakin March 12th!

I was there for my interview yesterday. I was told that the last week of interviews is next week (probably the 18th and the 20th). It sounds like they've been emailing people as they get cancellations to make sure they fill the groups for the last days (my group yesterday was 20). Good luck to everyone still waiting! :luck:

Just got an interview invite in my email (literally 10 minutes ago). I called to arrange my appointment, and they told me the only day they have left was March 20. Not sure what that means in terms of when they'll stop interviewing, but it must mean they're just about reaching the end of invitations.

Commence praying!!!! :scared:

I'll be there March 20th too! Damn them for giving us such little time to book flights etc!

I interviewed in October and JUST got a letter stating I was still under active consideration. Just be patient and you will hear soon enough. Best of luck!:luck:

Well its probably a good thing because it means that if they were going to reject or waitlist me, they would've just sent me a letter for that already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well its probably a good thing because it means that if they were going to reject or waitlist me, they would've just sent me a letter for that already.

I got the "active consideration" letter too- but I didn't interpret it as positively- I think it still might be possible to be waitlisted...

Sorry that was a negative thing to say!! I really hope it means that even if we are waitlisted, we have to be pretty competitive waitlisters

gah its too early in the morning for this kind of analysis. My main point is: good luck Goldtop! Sorry you have been waiting for so long- you totally have my mid-December interview date beat. As a side note-- we are both waiting on the exact same 4 schools (although your list of acceptances is much more impressive than mine!)

well, here's to more waiting!

The sad thing is that they said that we might not hear until as far as late april! :(

there's actually an "active consideration" letter as well as a "waitlist" letter? i haven't read the above posts so i'm not sure what has happened...thanks

Got the waitlist letter today, just about a month after interviewing, a little bummed but at least there is still a chance. Good luck to those still waiting to hear!!

hmmm it's been 7 weeks and still nothing... don't they have to tell us by some time? i'm afraid to call and find out.

Don't call. I've done is twice and it's completely un-informative. They don't even ask your name, and are very kind, understanding, and nice. But they only communicate meaningful information through postal mail. They'll say that if it's been a while, you weren't summarily rejected, so it's a good thing. They'll tell you that you're a wonderful person and that you're to one day be a great doctor. But you weren't summarily accepted, either. So, alas, you're in the middle class.

Writing, on the other hand, is a good idea. My source at the school highly recommends the letter of intent, as the waiting list is "unranked". WTF is an unranked waiting list, anyway? You have to kiss some you-know-what to get off the list? Or pull some $trings with family friend$$? Frankly, I love the school but the unranked list seems to put aside merit. Still a bit of an old boys club, that Dartmouth.

Thanks for the info Obama, are you a fellow waitlister or an active consideration person?

My source at the school highly recommends the letter of intent, as the waiting list is "unranked". WTF is an unranked waiting list, anyway? You have to kiss some you-know-what to get off the list? Or pull some $trings with family friend$$? Frankly, I love the school but the unranked list seems to put aside merit. Still a bit of an old boys club, that Dartmouth.

Wow, this is harsh and completely uncalled for. The waitlist is unranked because when a spot comes up, they take the time to go through and re-evaluate everyone on the waitlist to see who to offer the spot to. They go to all this trouble because they want to offer a spot in the class to the right person, not because of any nefarious reasons.

If this is really how you feel, I strongly urge you to not accept an offer of admission if one comes your way. You'll win by not going to "an old boys club" and we'll win by not having someone with such a low (and kind of paranoid) opinion of the school here.

WTF is an unranked waiting list, anyway? You have to kiss some you-know-what to get off the list? Or pull some $trings with family friend$$? Frankly, I love the school but the unranked list seems to put aside merit. Still a bit of an old boys club, that Dartmouth.

Unfortunately, most schools have unranked waitlists. A few have tiered waitlists and even fewer have ranked ones.

i'm on at least three supposedly "unranked" waitlists and i don't mind how they select their students. they can do whatever that fits them, it's none of my business or right how they do it. i really liked dartmouth but i have not heard back from them (been 8 weeks i think). i hope they have not already filled every non-waitlist acceptance. i will send an update letter soon but in the mean time i'll wait for their decision.

I hope you get some good news and closure soon with Dartmouth! Hang in there, dude! :luck::luck::luck:

Wow, this is harsh and completely uncalled for. The waitlist is unranked because when a spot comes up, they take the time to go through and re-evaluate everyone on the waitlist to see who to offer the spot to. They go to all this trouble because they want to offer a spot in the class to the right person, not because of any nefarious reasons.

If this is really how you feel, I strongly urge you to not accept an offer of admission if one comes your way. You'll win by not going to "an old boys club" and we'll win by not having someone with such a low (and kind of paranoid) opinion of the school here.

Yea, PhysicsNerd! Put on them fightin' gloves!

Physicsnerd, do you know if those of us that got the "still under active consideration letter" are on the border between rejection and waitlist, or between waitlist and acceptance? Thanks in advance!

Physicsnerd, do you know if those of us that got the "still under active consideration letter" are on the border between rejection and waitlist, or between waitlist and acceptance? Thanks in advance!

I don't know this, sorry. My guess is that it either means you haven't been brought to the committee yet (which should only be the case if you interviewed rather recently) or that you're in between acceptance and waitlist. I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful or definitive.

Sigh, another wait list. The letter arrived in the mail today but was dated March 17th...

I admit: my comment was over the top even for an anonymous internet post. But I still question the process and my "inarticulate rhetoric" should not distract from the issue of whether the unranked list makes sense. Exerting influence is not necessarily nefarious, but we should wonder if any process with so little transpearancy is vulnerable to influence peddling.

I liked the students, I liked the program, but I view this particular part of the admissions process with great cynicism. I think we have the right to ask for transpearancy, even from powerful people who control the gate of our future. I believe I should be evalauted based on the merit of my application.

But I don't want to hijack the thread. I'm interested in your thoughts about unranked lists, in general.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=6404116

-Obama4President

The admissions people are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet at DMS.

I think I might bite the bullet and call next week. Interviewed in October and yet to hear anything.

I feel your pain, man. I interviewed in October and have not heard anything yet either. My interviewer seemed to think I would get in (something like "I know you will be choosing between some great medical schools and I really hope you consider Dartmouth!"), and from what I heard I think we must both be in the "too good to waitlist, too bad to accept this early" category. Now that we have both gotten the boot from HMS, I think our interest in Dartmouth is piquing again!

Also, just to throw this out for conversation, what does everyone think about Dartmouth vs. UVa? Both schools seem great, and I am somewhat leaning toward Dartmouth because I am a little tired of Charlottesville. I think it will mostly come down to the money, though.

How does DMS compare, in terms of financial aid, versus other US Medical schools?

According to US News, DMS average debt is $112,600 (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...du/grad/webextras/brief/sb_med_debt_brief.php). This seems to be pretty near the middle of the pack. Listening during the presentation, I got the impression that your loan total per year would be about $20,000 + expected family contribution, so if your family is very poor you might make it out with $80,000 in debt. Overall not terrible, but for those who have high expected family contributions the debt could build up pretty quickly.

is dartmouth still accepting people? i have a feeling that i'm waiting for a waitlist or rejection to come. normally i would not say this, but it's almost april and the rest of the schools that i applied to have already finished regular acceptances and come out with waitlists.

If I recall correctly, I received a letter from them a week or two ago reassuring me that they will make plenty of offers of acceptance in the near future since interviews are finishing out. I think we are definitely still in the running for a straight acceptance.

I sure hope so. I really liked DMS, and would have a difficult choice between that and my current favorite of my acceptances Pitt.

I never got an interview invite so I guess I am a reject!!!

Don't call. I've done is twice and it's completely un-informative. They don't even ask your name, and are very kind, understanding, and nice. But they only communicate meaningful information through postal mail. They'll say that if it's been a while, you weren't summarily rejected, so it's a good thing. They'll tell you that you're a wonderful person and that you're to one day be a great doctor. But you weren't summarily accepted, either. So, alas, you're in the middle class.

Well, I didn't follow your advice, and I got a little bit of info. They are doing 2 upcoming mailings. The committee met last night and my letter was mailed out today (after interviewing in December!). Of course, she couldn't tell me my fate even though it was in front of her. The committee meets again in a week, and by that time everyone should have at least a waitlist decision. So, you letter was either mailed today or will be mailed April 4th.

I didn't get anything today; I imagine I'd be among the first (being 50 minutes away and all).

Supposedly a bunch of letters went out yesterday. I've been waiting since October... I need CLOSURE!!!!!

Does anyone know what an acceptance looks like? Small, big, thick, thin? Also, anyone who interviewed a couple of weeks ago hearing, yet?

Hey doctordreamer--I haven't gotten the acceptance myself, so I'm passing on hearsay from an earlier page on this thread when I asked the same question ....

According to other accepted folks the acceptance is in a standard sized envelope.

Since I've seen a waitlist--which is only 2 pieces of paper in the envelope, I would guess that the acceptance would be just a thicker version of the same envelope. :)

Does anyone know what an acceptance looks like? Small, big, thick, thin? Also, anyone who interviewed a couple of weeks ago hearing, yet?

I interviewed on the 29th. No word yet. They said to not expect anything for 6 weeks.

I haven't been waiting as long as a lot of you all, but it just started to feel a lot longer, as this is my last hope for US schools, after no love from my state (or anywhere else)... Maybe it's in the mail now. Or I got rejected a month ago and my parents didn't bother to tell me. Arre, the end is near

I interviewed on the 29th. No word yet. They said to not expect anything for 6 weeks.

Yeah, but if you read above, someone said Dartmouth said they were mailing out all final decisions either last Friday or April 4th, which means at the latest, we should hear sometime next week. Maybe they caught up faster than they were expecting?

I hope after this intense wait, I at least get on the alternate list (which may or may not be the same as a rejection).

::hopes for something to arrive in the mail tomorrow::

probably will be a rejection letter, but its all good!!!!

Does getting anything < Q on your MCAT = automatic rejection from dartmouth :eek:
Damn, the average writing score for ivies is pretty damn high

Does getting anything < Q on your MCAT = automatic rejection from dartmouth

I don't know, but I've been waiting since December and got the 'still under consideration' letter. I pretty much bombed the writing sample (M :laugh:), but I think the rest of my MCAT and especially my verbal score may have helped. There is hope... I hope.:D