This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist_dude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm taking my DAT in about 20 days I'm not sure what I should be doing in those 20 days and I'm freaking out tbh. This is what I have done so far for practice

*I took the first Bootcamp exam for OC and GC and I got 15 on both but this was more than a month ago.
*I just finished the DAT Destroyer for Orgo and I was getting about 60% right when I do set of 30 questions but they take me 1 hour!
I'm almost done with the DAT Destroyer for GC I have about 70 questions left and samething I'm getting 60% for 30 questions in one hour.
* For Biology I have done about 220 questions out of 560
*for QR today I just finished test #7 and I'm also getting about 65% right!!! but it's taking me 1:45 hour! and I feel terrible about that.

For PAT and RC I haven't done any practice exam yet. I barely did any PAT!!

What should I start working on in those next 20 days?
Is it still possible that I take my DAT in 20 days!
Any suggestion is appreciated thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
DAT Champion, DAT Bootcamp and DAT Genius. That's 20 practice exams. You need to do as many practice exams as humanly possible.
Have you tried DAT Champion and DAT Genius? I haven't heard much about them. I just now that DAT Bootcamp is one of the best out there.
and you think that I should stop working with the destroyer and start working on practice exams?
thanks for your response

You barely did any PAT and have done no RC? Even if you were prepared for the sciences, getting prepared for PAT in time would be tough... I would postpone and study until you're ready. That's the best advice I can give you, otherwise just start doing BC practice tests and solidifying concepts you got wrong from course notes. I'd also consider reviewing Cliff's AP BIO 3rd ( https://d3jc3ahdjad7x7.cloudfront.net/eYi7l6kHHrjBXFgOFMJn0hkd2hhDo6esBwXuv0a4mGhV3usT.pdf ). If you find that you don't know much of the biology in this book, then you 'll have no choice but to postpone, because at that point there might be a little too much to learn in 20 days.

I'd also consider reviewing Cliff's AP BIO 3rd
I already went over Barron's AP biology and I'm going over Feralis's notes.
How long do you think I need to practice for the PAT. And whats the best way to approach it. I have Crack DAT PAT and I was also thinking of doing DAT Bootcamp for PAT as well, or do you think DAT Bootcamp is enough for PAT.
And what the best way to practice RC other than the 5 practice exams of the DAT Bootcamp

Members don't see this ad :)
For RC just read science articles on Scientific American and practice a method (SnD, vanilla, BYU4you, etc.) that works for you. I only did 3 bootcamp reading comp articles and 5 crack dat. I did okay on this section (22). For PAT, I got a 24 just by doing generator problems and practice tests from bootcamp. With 20 days, you should probably just do the 10 practice tests and review the solutions. This section really just comes down to practice imo

How long do you think I need to practice for the PAT. And whats the best way to approach it. I have Crack DAT PAT and I was also thinking of doing DAT Bootcamp for PAT as well, or do you think DAT Bootcamp is enough for PAT.
And what the best way to practice RC other than the 5 practice exams of the DAT Bootcamp

Reading comprehension is a very tricky part of the DAT because some of the passages you can use the search and destroy method, but for others you must be prepared for tone based questions. The dental schools like to see a nice score in this section. An 18 or higher should be the goal.

There are a few passages that are quite challenging but if you have practiced to increase your reading and comprehension speed you will be ok. I would suggest you just read every night before bed, old fashion reading, cut off all the electronics get a book, newspaper, etc and read. This will help increase speed and comprehension, also good relaxation before bed.

Just my 2 cents and I hope this helps..

Nancy

Reactions: 1 user

A lot of people will tell you to read science articles, which is fine, but what's more important is speed reading. Practice reading fast and look up free speed reading programs on the internet, as well as apps on iphone/android. If you can read fast and comprehend what you're reading, you'll do great on the RC section. Don't waste time reading scientific articles without having the ability to read fast.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone
I am starting to study for DAT.
There are so many resources out there and i am confused on how to start and what books to read.
I have the old versions of the DAT destroyer (2013) and the Kaplan blue book . Should i just use those or you suggest to buy the new versions?
is there any other helpful resources? and is there any study guides anyone found helpful?

THANKS!

dude, you should postpone

1: if your applying for the 2016-17 cycle youll have plenty of time to study and still have your score in by june 1st
2: you dont want to have to take this test more than once, its just a pain in the a**- ($$ and time)
3: 20 days is in my opinion just not enough time to master all of the sections your lacking in

Dont get nervous or freak out just do whats most logical and take it from there

good luck man

dude, you should postpone

1: if your applying for the 2016-17 cycle youll have plenty of time to study and still have your score in by june 1st
2: you dont want to have to take this test more than once, its just a pain in the a**- ($$ and time)
3: 20 days is in my opinion just not enough time to master all of the sections your lacking in

good luck man

Excellent advice kid1992 !

Thanks for the advice.

I'm going try to take a practice exam this weekend and see how I do other wise I think I'm gonna postpone it until late January. Right now I'm registered for January 14th. I'm thinking of moving it until January 27th.
What do you guys think

1. The fact that you havent done any Bio/Chem/Orgo practice on Bootcamp outside of studying scares me.
2. The fact that you havent practice RC and PAT for one bit scares me even more.

I suggest you postpone and take time to study. Review the material and do more practice tests to confirm your knowledge, and see where you are weak to improve.
Also, practice PAT everyday and do more RC because I have heard that a lot of people didnt do well because they ran out of time.

Yup, everyone saying postpone has it right. There's a big mental burden with a low DAT score, not to mention the costs. It's better to postpone than to just reerite.